Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 01-20-2006
Estudiante

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldsancho
Default HPD's "Chicano Squad" files EEOC complaint

Seems the more you assimilate and become involved in the system, the more you are still just a beaner to some.

For years HPD'S minority police officers have been subjected to Verbal harrassment, loss of time off to study for promotion exams, a hostile work environment and seclusion.

Closet and overt rascism (the good ol' boy system) still reigns supreme in Houston law enforcement circles. The fact that the officers chose to withhold their names when filing the complaints speaks volumes to the very real fears of retaliation and career assasination held over their heads.

I know "Sambitho" is a peace officer, i'd like to hear his thoughts and experiences on this in his department, as well as any others involved in law enforcement or the judicial system.

Jan. 13, 2006, 11:40PM

HPD's 'Chicano Squad' files complaint
Members claim they've faced slurs, gotten unequal pay for past 20 years
By ROSANNA RUIZ and ANNE MARIE KILDAY

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Houston Police Department's "Chicano Squad," a highly decorated homicide investigative team, has been subjected to ethnic slurs, disparate pay and heavier workloads than their counterparts for more than 20 years, a job discrimination complaint alleges.

Twenty-three unnamed former and current members of the squad filed the complaint Nov. 29 against the city of Houston alleging that high-ranking homicide officers frequently have used such slurs to create an "atmosphere of inferiority, isolation and intimidation."

"The most important thing they want is equity so future Hispanic officers do not have to face what they've had to face," said Sam T. Alvarado, an arbitrator who filed the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission complaint.

The Hispanic officers, who also belong to the Houston Police Organization of Spanish Speaking Officers, did not raise any of the issues earlier for fear of retaliation, Alvarado said.

Craig Ferrell, HPD's deputy director of legal services, said the complaint was "broad-brushed" and does not offer specific instances of discrimination or identify any particular officer or supervisors behind the allegations made.
"The problem with the complaint for us, as far as responding to it, was there were no names given about who was called (what) by whom and on what date," Ferrell said. "At this point, we are only able to give a general denial," Ferrell said.

Ferrell added that HPD policy prohibits the use of "racially charged statements in the workplace."
Officers who use such language are disciplined by losing days of pay, Ferrell said.

The Chicano Squad, created 25 years ago to investigate crime in Spanish-speaking neighborhoods, has recently been required to work extra hours to combat the city's rise in violent crimes, Ferrell said. Squad members called in for additional duty were compensated either with overtime pay or time off, he said.

The Hispanic officers complain they rarely are allowed days off and are unable to prepare for promotional exams because of the heavy caseload. Non-Hispanic officers meanwhile are granted time off to study, Alvarado said.

"The Chicano Squad has got a better average of closed cases than anybody," he said. "National and state organizations have honored them, but not by the Houston Police Department."

In 1979, black and Spanish-speaking police officers filed a federal class-action lawsuit against HPD and the city, alleging widespread racial discrimination in the promotion and advancement of minority officers.

That lawsuit was initially settled in 1992, with an agreement that HPD would promote 107 minority officers who had earlier been denied promotions. The lawsuit was settled in 1997. A court monitor will continue to oversee HPD's hiring and promotions through 2007, Ferrell said.

HPD has continued to aggressively recruit Hispanic police officers, Ferrell said. He noted that 20.64 percent of HPD's officers are Hispanic.

I told him "I don't know and i don't give a shit!"
Old 01-20-2006
Maestro

Come on bro...Get real...

According to the folks over at Latino Republican, racism is dead. That's why we don't need programs like affirmative action anymore..
Old 01-20-2006
Estudiante

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldsancho

HA!

DD is doing what she percieves is the right thing. I no longer wish to bash her at every opprotunity. But I can't help but to call her on some of her ass backwards thinking sometimes.

It is amazing though, how you can sometimes not see what you chose not to see when it's standing there slapping you in the nose the same as it did your parents and grandparents, and most assuredly will slap your children too.

I told him "I don't know and i don't give a shit!"