Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Cultural Issues

Cultural Issues Anything about culture

Old 07-16-2006
Estudiante

Default Re: Diabetes...

hmmm i eat Nopales nto alot but wheni find them for a good price i will buy them and make my bandera salsa with it or just cooked iwth eggs or with carne asada even alone with lemon and salt they are great with almost everything

Old 07-19-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

That's good to hear, bro.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 07-19-2006
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
Yeah. Most people know that Nopales help. I met this old guy who said he had diabetics and he said he was cured from eating nopales. Then I went to this organization and they knew about the "power" of nopales.
Kind of weird when a group of people know something that I know. LOL.
My family doesn't have history on diabetics, but that's on my spanish side. I don't know much on my native side. My grandpa's brothers and sisters lived up to 80 and above even though their parents died about 40 and 60.
Now would nopales help with a type of diet...or maybe a regim of exsercise?....My dad is diabetic...when he was with my mom, mi mom no se daba abasto de darle nopales a mi dad....it was part of his diet but it never cured it...he rode his bike a total of 16 miles a day, and didnt eat anything with grease and drank plenty of water....ate his balanced meals....maybe it works for some and depends how long you had the diabetes...????
Old 07-19-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I'm assuming it work on certain people (like diets, not one diet fits all.). Probably early stages. Who knows. Never seen that much research on it, but I have seen botanicas have it.

Something from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nopales

Nopales are very rich in insoluble and especially soluble dietary fiber. They are also rich in vitamins (especially vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, but also riboflavin and vitamin B6) and minerals (especially magnesium, potassium, and manganese, but also iron and copper). Nopales have a high calcium content, but the nutrient is not biologically available because it is present as calcium oxalate, which is neither highly soluable nor easily absorbed through the intestinal wall.[1]

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 07-19-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2006
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer

My friendís dad said that you can tell if you have diabetes by peeing on the cement, and if the ants go to it than you probably have diabetes. Anyone ever hear of this?

It sounds crazy, but her dad does look like Mr. Miyagi (the real wise dude in Karate Kid) so he must be smart, right?
Old 07-25-2006
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
My friendís dad said that you can tell if you have diabetes by peeing on the cement, and if the ants go to it than you probably have diabetes. Anyone ever hear of this?

It sounds crazy, but her dad does look like Mr. Miyagi (the real wise dude in Karate Kid) so he must be smart, right?
LMAO....I heard that as a joke....I never heard it is a truth....My boyfriends dad tells that joke everytime he knows someone is a diabetic.....
Old 12-04-2014
Gunner

BUMP. I only read the first post

Do the Nopales really help? I know with Diabetes it's all about the eating lifestyle, but was just wondering if the Nopales really helped lower your blood sugar.

Diabetes runs on my mom's side of the family and I had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies. For the most part it was controlled with my dieting but as I got bigger the dieting alone wasn't cutting it, so I had to get on the pill.

It went away right after delivery but was advised by my doctor that if I didn't take care of myself I could develop it full on (type 2) in 10-20 years (if not earlier). I still try to keep to a Diabetic diet however, I do allow myself some cheat days.

My dad's side suffers from Cholesterol, so either way I'm fkd on both sides.

Last edited by BTOWNMAMI239; 12-04-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2014
Veterano

We all got to die of something.
But the better you take care of yourself the longer you live and the better,your quality of life will be. Above all else, protect your brain!
I'd rather, be aware of things in a wheelchair than to be brain dead but able to run a marathon.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 12-05-2014
Gunner

I hear you Chave.

Yeah, Doc says "Protein is your FRIEND", but that alone gets tiring after a while. It's not that this is mandatory but I would like to take care of my health so I'm there for my girls in the long run. It also helps if you maintain an active lifestyle as that helps lower your blood sugar as well.

Just stay knowledgeable about any chronic diseases that run in your family and do your best to take care of yourself.

My mom always tells me, "Had I known then what you know now, I'da taken better care of myself". So, yeah it helps.