Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Cultural Issues

Cultural Issues Anything about culture

Old 05-28-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Diabetes...

Because of our indigena blood line, we can more likely get diabeties. Reason why this is so is because indigena blood isn't use to sugar in it's pure form. We're use to sugar to be in honey or in fruit, but never in its pure form. In our body, it tries to balance it. If it doesn't then it causes diabetes. The only way to prevent it is by eating plenty of nopales. Some say it cures diabetes, but not sure if it's true. I just think it slows down the process.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 05-31-2004
Juarol

Thats interesting... i never heard of it that way. I got family with diabeties from my Abuelita down to some of my primas.
Old 05-31-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Can you tell me about your family's roots? Just curious...

Old 06-01-2004
Mocoso

My familia's riddled with diabetes...Mom, tias, tios, bro's, sisters, primos and primas.

It's a shame but that's the way it is.
Old 06-01-2004
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Some in my extended family have diabeted as well...
Guess I'll have a second helping of nopales tonight...
Old 06-01-2004
Maestro

my father was diagnosed with diabetes not to long ago....so he is trying to watch what he eats but it's hard when you are so restricted. Even some fruits he can't have. like bananas, he has to cut it into thirds and thats all the banana he can have...

question....i don't know what a nopales is....
Old 06-01-2004
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes

This is new to me. I learned something new today
No one in either side of my family has diabetes, at least that I'm aware of. I'll tell them about the nopales though
Old 06-01-2004
deletedAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino
my father was diagnosed with diabetes not to long ago....so he is trying to watch what he eats but it's hard when you are so restricted. Even some fruits he can't have. like bananas, he has to cut it into thirds and thats all the banana he can have...

question....i don't know what a nopales is....
cactus

http://www.mexicanwave.com/images/wa...al_800x600.jpg
Old 06-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Yeah. Most people know that Nopales help. I met this old guy who said he had diabetics and he said he was cured from eating nopales. Then I went to this organization and they knew about the "power" of nopales.
Kind of weird when a group of people know something that I know. LOL.
My family doesn't have history on diabetics, but that's on my spanish side. I don't know much on my native side. My grandpa's brothers and sisters lived up to 80 and above even though their parents died about 40 and 60.

Old 06-24-2004
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

There are many ways to combat diabetes..

There are several diabetics in my family and for the most part all have it under control.

The most important is DIET.

Any type of soda (non-diet) is a HUGE no no..

Believe it or not sugar really isn't the worst culprit.

It is processed sweeteners like corn syrups that are high in fructose.

Bread .. White Bread is a big offendor

Diabetes is not caused by or can be avoided later in life by not eating or consuming these things, but the severity with which it affects your life can be aided by a healthy diet.

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 06-24-2004
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to Indira

I am insulin resistant, its not quite diabetes but it can lead to diabetes. I didn't know about the Nopales helping, I'm gonna have to buy some.

Also my grandpa on my dad's side has diabetes and I think one of my aunts does too.
Old 08-10-2005
The one and only
Presidente

bump

Old 08-11-2005
Veterano

ChicanoDan is correct.

Diet is a major factor in preventing diabetes. I've never heard of nopales helping control insulin but there isnt a magic food that can cure diabetes once it's set in.

I think that lifestyle is more of a contributor than any genetic predisposition.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 08-11-2005
Prospect

Send a message via Yahoo to babychulo

indeed diabetes melitus hooks up with heriditary
in short....genetics..... but its not actualy that if u hav
a family history of diabetes ur also diabetic..
it depends on ur nutritional status..
the way you eat and how ur body utilize every
carbo to glucose... the pancrease can only
accomodate 360 grams of glucose and the other
few percent is stored for "incase of" energy production
you better lay low on sweets if u dont
want to be diabetic...
our normal blood sugar is
80 mg per 100 kl. body weight
Old 08-11-2005
Chicle

I have history of diabeties on both sides of my family. I'm mexican and native american so I have a very high risk of getting it. I try to be careful and not eat alot of sugar. My mom has it, all my aunts on my mom's side have it and most of my aunt's and uncle's on my pop's side have it. My dad's mom died from complications of diabeties when she was in her 40's ( I didn't get to know her). My little abuelita my mom's mom died just last November because her kidney's failed because of her diabeties. My boyfriends niece was diagnosed with diabeties when she was a year old and she's only two now. It hurts so much that she's such a beautiful and innocent little girl and she has to go through so much her whole life and it's her mom's fault of corse she won't admit it. When she was preg. with her she would eat candy all the time, she would eurowedges (pieces of chocolate cake with chocolate filling and whipped cream) every day and she would never drink juice or water it was always soda. I know this cause I use to work at a Ray's Market Bakery and she lived right next to it and she would come in everyday for this crap. What pissed me off the most though was she just had another little girl in June and she was doing the same shit. You would think that after the first one got diabeties she would be extra careful with the second one. Anyways I'm super scared to have a baby cause it's so bad on my side of the family and my boyfriend has it on his side of the family. I guess all I can do is when the time comes when I get preg. I have to take of myself and watch what I eat.

Grandma Mary I´ll see your sweet face again one day. I love you abuelita!
Old 08-11-2005
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to lil_king Send a message via MSN to lil_king Send a message via Yahoo to lil_king
Default Re: Diabetes...

yep mii grandma got that but she don't give a fuck she be eating them candies like nothing mii dad told her to stop cuz she might die sonner and she won't o well
Old 08-11-2005
Geek'd Up
Maestro

im like most of you..both sides of my family have diabetes
to tell you the truth though i never looked into diabetes things
all i know is that there are differnet types..all i can say is i hope i dont ever get diabetes cause it completely changes your life.
Old 03-02-2006
Veterano

is 400 GB a little high?
Old 03-02-2006
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to cKofer Send a message via Yahoo to cKofer

you liar, why you such a liar you frekin liar.....j/k
neta, really, where did you get that fact from? need more info, its not that i dont believe you its that i need a real source....
Old 07-07-2006
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
Because of our indigena blood line, we can more likely get diabeties. Reason why this is so is because indigena blood isn't use to sugar in it's pure form. We're use to sugar to be in honey or in fruit, but never in its pure form. In our body, it tries to balance it. If it doesn't then it causes diabetes. The only way to prevent it is by eating plenty of nopales. Some say it cures diabetes, but not sure if it's true. I just think it slows down the process.
sorry! a late bloomer here in posting....just joined about 2 weeks ago hmmmm....well....my mom have it because of stress so it is not genetic ,my dad has diabetes and his side of his family/relatives as well and i heard my great gandpa of euro blood line but (i believe he is mixed blooded indigenous) had diabetes as well, great gramma who is full blooded indigena by the way does not have any diabetes or any types of disease,passed away of natural cases and lived a little longer i think 105? gotta ask my dad.anyways,nopales will not work for everyone it but it may work for some. didn't work for my dad he is taking other types of alternative medicine right now.because doctors medication messed him up.so it runs by family and i should really becareful because my doc in the past told me that is 70% chance that i will get it.and it has alot to do with the diet and stress (for some people).

Last edited by hummingbird; 07-07-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2006
Maestro

thanks for sharing that interesting fact tec...
FUCk

Old 07-09-2006
Fresh Meat!

Tec is correct about nopales,...they can drastically affect diabetes.
There has been alot of research done on this.

There are also two other things which are excellent for figting diabetes.
1) trivalent chromium (GTF)
2) cinnamon bark or "pure" cinnamon extract.

Both of these will adhere to the glucose released from food, and will direct it in to the cells. Both are extremely effective in folks with blood sugar problems.

Another thing is that people with diabetes usually have other things going on in the body as well besides daibetes ...usually stealth bacterial or viral infections. which aggravate or underly the diabetic condition.
Old 07-09-2006
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

Tec was a damned liar in 2004, and continues to be so to this day!

lol..jk compa...:-p
Old 07-09-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to MrPinche

damn thats cool... we eat a shit load of nopales... haha... this topic is pretty old huh...
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too..." white stripes
Old 07-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKofer
you liar, why you such a liar you frekin liar.....j/k
neta, really, where did you get that fact from? need more info, its not that i dont believe you its that i need a real source....
My source is the elders. Not sure if that's a good enough source. I think people confused my writing that it cures, but actually helps you prevent it or slows the process if you have it. From accounts that I know from people I know, probably only one person has been cured from diabetes.

I wonder how I miss you guys replying to this. Damn. Someone needs to inform me on post I done. LOL.