Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Cultural Issues

Cultural Issues Anything about culture

Old 05-24-2005
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa
Default MTV's my life translated..your opinion on mexican culture

i was watching this show...it was about Sonia who is a Mexican American in college...she is also living with her parents...her parents make her plan her sister's quincenera in the middle of her finals week...eventually the pressure gets to her and she decides to drop out...her reasoning she cant have both school and family as priorities...so she thinks the best thing is to drop out...

the thing is that her mom does not want her to drop out and even cries when Sonia tells her she wants to drop out...in the end she ends up staying in school...

The point of the post....first did anybody see the show...what did you think of it? Did MTV do a good job or no?

Second...Does Mexican culture make it harder for people to stay in school or even go to school...from what you know...
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 05-24-2005
Veterano

I havent seen this show. I dont watch a lot of TV and if I didnt I probably wouldnt watch MTV.

Second...Does Mexican culture make it harder for people to stay in school or even go to school...from what you know...[B]

Well since youre asking me to generalize I will go ahead and have to.

I'd say in most situations it does. Most Mexican kids look at high school as the end of the road (as far as education goes).

College is tough when youre not affluent.
Most 18 yr olds would rather just get a job so they can afford a nice ride, clothes and have money to spend on other frivilous things.
Or in some cases not such frivilous things (like a child they had as high school student).

For middleclass Anglo kids the idea of adulthood means going off to college, maybe grad school and then getting married.

For poor MExican kids it means getting a job, impregnating their ruca and living with their parents until they can afford to move out.

Some Mexican families place a high importance on education though. My parents sent both of my oldest sisters to private school and they were both able to go on to college (my oldest got a scholarship to UC Berkeley).
However by the time I was in high school, my parents fortunes had changed and they were more worried about paying the mortgage than worrying about their sons education.

Sad to say but I dont think my parents thought I was college bound. I didnt really apply myself in school and I got in a lot of trouble.
I didnt go to a private school. I went to a sub par public school for awhile before dropping out.

I think a lot of more traditional Mexican families still believe that college is for rich white kids and this makes me so upset.
It's as if they've excepted their subordinate role in society and dont have high hopes for their own children.
I think EVERY Chicano should at least get an AA and preferrable a BA.
College isnt just about getting skills to get a better job.
It's a place to REALLY learn. Discover culture, art, ideas, and realize that theres a whole world outside of that little barrio youre from.
I truly believe that knowledge is power and that if the Anglo agenda had their way not one of us would be allowed anywhere near a University. Because they know what a threat a young Chicano/a armed with a education is to the status quo.

Why do you think they send Military recruiters to colleges?

They dont want you to realize the power you possess.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 05-24-2005
Chicle

Many people may disagree with me but I really don't think Mexican culture makes it harder for people to stay or even go to school. I think it all has to do from what type of family you come from. Some of my relatives in Mexico are pretty humble even though school is way more expensive in Mexico my cousins parents have worked pretty hard to get them a decent education and get them through college. I just think much of it depends on the person or how they are raised and how hard they are willing to work to achieve in life(with an actual education). To me it is not a matter of culture in the MAJORITY of cases.

(My brother thinks i'm wrong, he won't shut up, he keeps arguing with me about what I wrote... so I shall stop typing and debate over this with him!)
Old 05-24-2005
Veterano

Your brother is right.

Just because you know an exception doesnt mean that as a rule Mexicans dont place as high an importance on education.
We all know there are exceptions to the rule.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 05-25-2005
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to SoChicana

I didnt see that show either but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

KoolArrow is exactly right.

Before I left for college, I spent many nights arguing with my father (especially) about going to school. According to him, by coming here, I was supposed to get pregnant or some kind of STD from having sex, or I was supposed to die from alcohol poisoning from drinking too much, and if not, I'm pretty sure I was supposed to have dropped out by now...according to him.

My family wanted me to stay home to help out with my younger siblings (the youngest being 2 months at the time i finished high school) and 'go to a technical school' if anything.

And honestly, it hasnt gotten much easier.

But that doesnt stop me. And Im not here in spite of my parents. Im here because I feel like this is where I should be. And Ive been trying my hardest to reach the next point of my life.

also i just wanted to add this
Quote:
College isnt just about getting skills to get a better job.
It's a place to REALLY learn. Discover culture, art, ideas, and realize that theres a whole world outside of that little barrio youre from.
Very well said
Old 05-25-2005
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

Ill give my experience...and something i learned in class...

My parents gave everything they had so i could be in school and they still do....i know that i dont take advantage of it as much as i should and thats a problem...i really liked the show because it was kinda like what i went through in high school...i didnt really think my parents wanted me to go to college and i knew my dad was probably not going to let me...but i applied got in and got fincancial aid...i showed this to my parents and both of them were sad to see me go but they supported my decision..
my dad and my mom dropped me off at school...my dad made sure that i had everything i would need...i did not have a computer and he saw my roomate had one so later on he called me and was like you need a computer your roomate has one...lol...and he sent me money....i never thought they would be that supportive and it is really because of them that im still in school....

Now what i learned in school i took a chicano studies class....it said that first generation students are the mosty likely to go to college...why? Because their parents gave everything to give their children a better life...and they realize education means a better life in the US so they work and work to make sure their kids go to school.....

If you say that mexican culture is detrimental to going to college...it meanst eh culture needs to be changed??? how? and does this fit the people? or does it mean that the society needs to be changed so that the poor kids have as much chance of going to school as the rich kids??
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 05-25-2005
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt

If you say that mexican culture is detrimental to going to college...it meanst eh culture needs to be changed??? how? and does this fit the people? or does it mean that the society needs to be changed so that the poor kids have as much chance of going to school as the rich kids??

It takes a long time for old traditions to die but I would say that even the most uneducated Mexican parents need to learn how valuable a college education is in this society.
We need to stop raising our daughters to have being a wife and mother as their only ambition in life.
We need to stop seeing other Chicanos with educations as "acting white".

Poor kids will NEVER have as much chance as the rich kids. The idea is to increase our chances and change the old attitudes that people have.

Old 05-25-2005
Chicle

Send a message via Yahoo to baby_phat_smoky

I Saw The Show .... 1st thing I'd Have to Say is That her man was FOINE>..! lol
Back on Subject...

Okey...I dont see how a race has anything to do getting your education...
Itz not that hard take yo a$$ to school and do yo dayum work....

But anyways...I think mtv fuked up on dis show...I mean ...
Naw hell naw....Not all Mexican or Mexican Americans live
like that....That type a family is rare as hell where im from okey...
Shyt how you gonna put yo lyfe behind to word of yo daddy come on.
So your gonna drop school so you can stay home n clean cause daddy said so .... MMmmmMM.... Yea... Sonia ..Gurl....That show was fuked up and
Made mexicans look bad thats my opinion....The show sucked
Old 09-24-2016
Fresh Meat!

Smile Re: MTV's my life translated..your opinion on mexican culture

So interesting to find this post 10+ years later!

My name is Sonia, and I was the young girl featured in the show. Happy to say that I married my handsome, then-boyfriend, Lance and we continue to be in love, especially with our baby girl. I am pleased to say that I am currently 12 weeks away from getting my MBA.

You know, I just want people to know that it is nearly impossible to tell someone's life story and their struggle in under an hour, so don't assume you got the full picture.

What was not properly conveyed in the show is that my parents were very much supportive of me pursuing higher education. The struggle was in that my dad didn't feel that should be my priority. There was additional tension in the show because my father was an alcoholic, and it made for many awkward moments and conversations. But I am glad to say that he has been sober for 7+ years and our relationship is much better.

My sister, who had her XV in the show, is doing great, as is is my baby brother who is on a path to be an engineer. I'd like to think that the struggles I went through, made life easier for them, as when they watch the show, they feel like they can't even relate. They don't recall half the stuff on the show, but they didn't experience the struggle I did; we still debate this on occasion.

So in short, no, my story does not accurately reflect EVERY Mexican-American's struggle, nor will any one individual's story represent an entire culture. But I'd like to think that people at least picked up on the fact that it is important to follow your dreams!
Old 09-27-2016
Miss Mod
Veterano

Default Re: MTV's my life translated..your opinion on mexican culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee5302 View Post
So interesting to find this post 10+ years later!

My name is Sonia, and I was the young girl featured in the show. Happy to say that I married my handsome, then-boyfriend, Lance and we continue to be in love, especially with our baby girl. I am pleased to say that I am currently 12 weeks away from getting my MBA.

You know, I just want people to know that it is nearly impossible to tell someone's life story and their struggle in under an hour, so don't assume you got the full picture.

What was not properly conveyed in the show is that my parents were very much supportive of me pursuing higher education. The struggle was in that my dad didn't feel that should be my priority. There was additional tension in the show because my father was an alcoholic, and it made for many awkward moments and conversations. But I am glad to say that he has been sober for 7+ years and our relationship is much better.

My sister, who had her XV in the show, is doing great, as is is my baby brother who is on a path to be an engineer. I'd like to think that the struggles I went through, made life easier for them, as when they watch the show, they feel like they can't even relate. They don't recall half the stuff on the show, but they didn't experience the struggle I did; we still debate this on occasion.

So in short, no, my story does not accurately reflect EVERY Mexican-American's struggle, nor will any one individual's story represent an entire culture. But I'd like to think that people at least picked up on the fact that it is important to follow your dreams!
I never saw the show that is being referenced, but wonderful to hear that you were able to graduate and will be getting your MBA soon. Congrats!

How did you come across our forum and the post about the show?

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own