Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Techie's Area

Techie's Area Share information about web designing & scripting, general hardware, software issues, or just Technical Babble.

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Apple iPhone?
Its awesome. i'm gonna buy one soon. 1 4.17%
Its a waste of money... seen one cell phone, seen em all... 11 45.83%
its nice looking. but i dont need an entire entertainment system in my pocket... 8 33.33%
I have one. 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2007
Mocoso

Send a message via AIM to Eybo Send a message via MSN to Eybo Send a message via Yahoo to Eybo
Default Re: apple ipod cell-phone? "i-talk"

they said june of this year. for everything it comes equipped with, man, i'd glady buy it.
Old 01-10-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
damn...i think its worth it tho...know wat date it comes out?
worth it? of course it's worth it. It's a smart phone, therefore it'll come with a price. Sure it'll be expensive for a lot of people. Mainly for those who don't have any use for this type of phone.

most smart phones in the market today will cost you between 300-700. If apple delivers all of the features Steve jobs talked about, and you realize what you are getting, it's worth it and in my opinion it's underpriced
Old 01-10-2007
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

psh...they would've sold me with 3+ megapixel camera, instead of the 2 they have.

lol

If i had that kind of money, it'd be nice to have, but absolutely not a necessity for me.
Old 01-10-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

SD your a windows fan boy, they could have had an 8megapixel camera and you'd still complain.

again, there are those who have a use for a smart phone and can justify the cost and those who don't have a use for it.
Old 01-10-2007
Director

well...now that you mention it...sure it would have 8Mp but could you manually adjust picture settings, flash, exposure, multiple shots...adaptable lenses...lol...jk?

my only complaint with the ipods (and same with the iphone) is the inability to have removable batteries...recharchable of course, but removable would sell me 100%. My ipod (even though i just got it recently replaced) hardly lasts at all at work.

fuck, maybe even expandable memory would be nice...

but no. they want to sell more products. so everytime something new comes out, you HAVE to buy the new one. (for the fanboys).

i personally don't need web on the go, maybe later in life, but not now.

and that touchscreen business, i'm a little skeptical about that. I'll have to finger it once it hits stores to see how sensitive it is.
Old 01-10-2007
Director

i personally don't get all this new mumbo electronics......n agree w/sd all they want ppl to do is go out n buy the newer stuff n that's the reason non expandable memory.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDXicano85
I'll have to finger it once it hits stores to see how sensitive it is.

tu si estas pesado u fingering things in the store

Last edited by MuchoMuyKrazy; 01-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2007
Director

shet...those words jumped out at you huh...

you knowwwwww what i mean. :tonge:
Old 01-10-2007
Director

well someone had to point it out.......

Old 01-10-2007
Director

well i meant "finger it" in a strictly technical and analytical manner
Old 01-10-2007
Director

okay i'll leave it at that.......your analysing as well as fingerin? interesting

but now on the real last night on the news they were talking about this.....let's see if i can go find it okay heres the link FINGER HERE....OOPS I MEAN CLICK

Last edited by MuchoMuyKrazy; 01-10-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
my only complaint with the ipods (and same with the iphone) is the inability to have removable batteries...recharchable of course, but removable would sell me 100%. My ipod (even though i just got it recently replaced) hardly lasts at all at work.
which ipod do you have? are the batteries lasting anywhere near as long as what they say it was going to last?

I heard that this phone will have two batteries. one exclusively for the phone and the other for the ipod. So at least, you can listen to music till the battery runs out and not run in any danger of your phone dying.

removable batteries would be great but I don't think that will ever happen since they will have to redesign it.

Quote:
fuck, maybe even expandable memory would be nice...
now that you mention it, 8gigs seems a little low. It was just a music player, 8 gigs is more than enough for my needs but I have a few vids on my video ipod and they take up a ton of space.

Maybe not expendable memory but rather bigger harddrive. Again, keep it simple.

Quote:
and that touchscreen business, i'm a little skeptical about that. I'll have to finger it once it hits stores to see how sensitive it is.
same here. during the demonstration it seem really smooth. Then again, steve probably had a few weeks to practice on it and get use to it. But when he scrolled through his music library, there was a huge "oooooh" in the audience. I big pop for something as simple as scrolling through his music library, lol

I guess I'll see how it works for me. I can already tell, those with big fingers are probably going to be screwed, lol.
Old 01-10-2007
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to Indira

after looking at it and listening to you guys talk about it, I still wouldn't buy it.

I don't like cell phones, but i know my husband would more than likely want one, my thing now is, what will I do with the ipod he has now, and the phone.

wouldn't buy it.
Old 01-10-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

the phone you keep yourself, the ipod you can send to me. I'll give it a good home

the people who will buy this phone are...
  • the people who really need a smartphone. and the people who want an alternative to the smartphones that exist.
  • the people with old ipods that want to upgrade
  • the fan boys who must own every single ipod that comes out.
  • people who have cingular or people who want to switch over to cingular
people who will not buy a phone are...
  • the people who have no use for a smartphone
  • the people who just bought an ipod and have no use for a new one
  • the ones that don't have cingular, are stuck in another plan or who have no intentions of ever switching over to cingular.
  • and of course people like SD who will never be satisfied with it's features (lol)
Old 01-10-2007
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
  • and of course people like SD who will never be satisfied with it's features (lol)
lol..i'm a tough man to please, SJ.

Mainly what my gripe is the constant "improvement" of technology.

like...you buy a nano (like me) for instance..then boom. few months later they got the nano 2g...which is better than the old one in X amount of ways.

i just get tired of the rollercoaster of emotions that are associated with my tech purchases.

not to mention (like SJ mentioned) that it'll be a huge downgrade with people that have 30+ gig Ipod videos n shit..

but what exactly is a smartphone? is it basically a web-access-ready with QWERTY input phone? because thats all that i see thats different from other phones out there.
Old 01-10-2007
Estudiante

Quote:
but what exactly is a smartphone? is it basically a web-access-ready with QWERTY input phone? because thats all that i see thats different from other phones out there.
thats wat i wanna kno
Old 01-11-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
llike...you buy a nano (like me) for instance..then boom. few months later they got the nano 2g...which is better than the old one in X amount of ways.
That's how technology is. Technology is outdated the minute you walk out the store with your item. There is always something bigger, badder and better on the horizon.

Quote:
not to mention (like SJ mentioned) that it'll be a huge downgrade with people that have 30+ gig Ipod videos n shit.
yeah that sort of sucks. But this phone is a step in the right direction. I am just tired of having to carry so many devices in my pocket. If there is one that can do it all(and well), then I'll be a happy man.

Quote:
That's the basic idea about the differences. Probably one that differentiates it the best is smartphones come with an OS, either windows mobile, or in the case of the apple phone macOSX. Sothat means, you can install applications.

Now it's true, on most dumb phones you can install some apps but they aren't very sophisticated due to the limitations put on those types of phones.

But Email access is the biggest one. As well as contact organization and scheduling. If you ever tried any of these on a regular phone, it's damn near impossible.

Now it's true, most of the dumb phones nowadays can surf the net, sync contacts and schedule appointments but it's not as easy to do.

(sidenote)
Another thing that always strikes me cool about apple is, apple releases a product and the media goes crazy over their announcements. Apple releases an mp3 player, there is a lot of buzz. and now, apple releases a phone and it's on every news channel and gets a ton of coverage. My uncle surprised me completely when he asked if I knew about the new apple phone. My uncle! who is the non-techiest person I know, asked ME if I heard about a new tech product. Just goes to show you the amount of coverage it got. Everyone knows about it.

This is a cell phone we are talking about. Yet other companies release cell phones all the time and get no coverage. Companies release mp3 players(that are technically better than the ipod) and they get no coverage.

Yet when apple does it, it's special. It generates a ton of buzz. You really have to admire that about the company.

Last edited by SJ; 01-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2007
Gunner

Only two things are stopping me from buying it. I absolutley need to be certain that the battery can keep up with what I want it to do. I read 5 hours talk time, which in a 24 workday seems short... and if 5 hours is advertised, testing usually reveals that it's shorter than that. Also, 8 gigs does seem small... but I would never be able to haul all 70G of my music anyway.

And I aleady have a smartphone... smart enough to do what i want. /sigh @ me wanting to show off to my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
(sidenote)
Another thing that always strikes me cool about apple is, apple releases a product and the media goes crazy over their announcements.

That I credit to their PR... hype, hype, and more hype, but most importantly, delivering on it. Fanboy's don't hurt their cause either. What impresses me most about Apple is how they reinvented themselves after struggling in the 90's. Now the term iPod is synonymous with music player, ala walkman/discman. No small feat.

Old 01-11-2007
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to crazyiris Send a message via MSN to crazyiris Send a message via Yahoo to crazyiris
Default Re: apple ipod cell-phone? [rumors confirmed]

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2007/corp_011007.html

Old 01-12-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyiris
I remember reading about the patent on the "iphone" and there was a lot of talk going on with what name apple would go for. Everyone was sort of shocked when it was announced as the iphone and people were asking about the patent. did everyone but apple know about the patent? seems kind of dumb to have overlooked that.

either way, renaming it to apple phone(similar to apple tv) is a good enough name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanAmerican
I saw it last night on the news, it looks pretty smooth. I should of waited. My Pc pocket was $599.99, well in reality I only paid $450.00 with the $150.00 instant savings for renewing my contract with Sprint. It has E-mail, windows, microsoft excel, word, any pretty much anything a computer does, plus it's touch screen.

that's a pretty cool phone. dont' feel bad for not waiting, I mean even if you went with the apple phone, you'd still have to wait till june to get it and had to switch over to cingular.

by the time your sprint contract expires, you'd probably be needing a new phone by then and apple would probably be on their 2nd generation apple phone. So you can look into getting it then.
Old 03-06-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Default iphone commercial [conan obrien]

haha good stuff
Old 03-06-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyiris View Post
>> apple and cisco reach agreement on iphone trademark
Old 03-08-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: iphone commercial [conan obrien]

They kind of made fun of the same thing on Mad TV a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91VRcFWX3ig

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 04-14-2007
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to aPerson
Default Tha Apple iPhone.

i'm surprised no one is talking about it... is it cuz no one here can afford it? lol if it is, dont feel bad, cuz i cant either... but with that said, this is a revolutionary phone. you can store music to it like an iPod, movies/videos, its touch-screen, you have unique cell phone options when communicating, and has a very sleak design.

as u can see it's very attractive. i think we're just a few more steps closer to tha future ladies n gentlemen... tha future starts here.

Note to Mods: by tha way, sorry if this is in the wrong section, its just in media, theres no "electronics" section... and i didnt wanna put it in movies or music cuz it can do more than just one individual activity...
Old 04-14-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Tha Apple iPhone.

We talked about this before.

Old 04-14-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Default Re: apple ipod cell-phone [rumors confirmed]

//Topic Merged