Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > Veteranos' Corner

Veteranos' Corner A place for military veterans to talk about thier experiences, travels, or other military veteran related topics.

Old 09-16-2008
Chicle

Default La Raza and 9/11

Erhard Düvel (Mr.)
National-Zeitung (Newspaper)
DSZ-Verlag (Publishing House)
Paosostr. 2
D-81243 Munich
GERMANY

Ruben Botello, Chicano Activist
http://www.blazingstar.org

Mr. Botello, the 7th anniversary of 9/11 nears. How has 9/11 affected your life and the experience of Chicanas and Chicanos?

It is important to know where Chicanas and Chicanos “came from” in order to understand where we are after 9/11. We did not come from anywhere, our ancestors were here in our Americas long before Europeans and other foreigners arrived.

Terrorism is nothing new for us. Our people have had to deal with foreign terrorists and their fanatical religions for over 500 years.

Chicanas and Chicanos are a large segment of the Native American population who were borne out of the U.S. invasion and occupation of Northern Mexico in the 19th Century. The U.S. stole our ancestral lands and freedoms in California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and parts of Colorado and Wyoming by forcing Mexico to surrender them in 1848 or suffer more terrorist attacks.

Most of our ancestors remained in the occupied territories of Northern Mexico even though they were heavily persecuted by the occupying forces and their offspring after 1848. Chicanas and Chicanos are mostly the offspring of these ancestors. We are officially declared “U.S. citizens” but treated like foreigners or aliens in our stolen land nevertheless.

Since 9/11, the U.S. government has been targeting all indigenous Americans (Indigenas) for increased harassment, discrimination and persecution under the guise of “homeland security,” as if we were all somehow responsible for those horrendous 2001 atrocities on the East Coast. The Wall Street Journal has even called for Chicanas and Chicanos of the Southwest to be deported despite our U.S. citizenship.

We were not being treated as equals or justly before 9/11, and it is much worse now. The U.S. government is even building a “Mexican Wall” to block our people from migrating freely throughout our Americas as they have been for centuries.

2. How did you become involved in the Chicano movement?

I was born and raised in Texas where racism against Mexicans and Mexican-Americans is prevalent at all levels of government and society. Despite being a native-born U.S. citizen like my parents, I was treated like a “dirty Mexican” as the schools taught us all to “Remember the Alamo!”

In a suicidal state caused by the racism, I joined the U.S. Marines to “die for my country” in Vietnam like many other Chicanos. Luckily, I was assigned to a field band and experienced most of the war on the sidelines.

Upon my return from Vietnam, I went to college on the G.I. Bill where I learned what the Chicano Movement was about. I immediately joined the Movement by starting a MEChA chapter at the college and haven’t stopped fighting for La Causa since. (Learn about MEChA at Internet Mecha)

La Causa or our cause is peace and justice. I was against the war even while in Vietnam and I knew there could be no peace without justice so the Chicano Movement fit me like a glove.

3. I have the impression there is considerable division within the Chicano Movement (i.e. Plan Espiritual de Aztlán, MEChA, and the Nation of Aztlán (NOA)). Why is this so?

Almost every nation, state, city, organization and movement on earth has considerable division. There is considerable division in all human affairs but from a Chicano perspective, this division or diversity is good.

“Divide and conquer” does not work on us. Our strength is derived from our diversity moreso than from any unity, conformity or obedience to a singular leadership or philosophy. La Raza is composed of all kinds of people from all kinds of places with all kinds of lifestyles, interests and beliefs.

The Chicano Movement is an umbrella for all this diversity, not just for a select few. Our divisions make us a dynamic force to be reckoned with. (As the Marines say, “Spread out or one grenade can get you all!”)

4. Why is there a need for Nuevo Plan de Aztlan?

The original Plan de Aztlan was crafted during our Movement’s infancy over 40 years ago. It was mostly an emotional appeal for young Chicanas and Chicanos to stand up for our basic rights alongside African Americans and other oppressed Americans as the Vietnam War raged on in the background.

Most of our Chicana and Chicano youth never read the original Plan, they just joined in with all the millions of other Americans who coalesced across the nation to protest the Vietnam War, discrimination and poverty during the turbulent Sixties and Seventies. Most of this dissent fizzled when the White liberal majority in the antiwar movement left us Minorities to fend for ourselves at war’s end, and mass media shut us out.

The original Plan de Aztlan was all but forgotten until immigrant-bashing racists began to quote choice words from the old document to assail the entire Chicano Movement for supporting Indigenas from throughout Latin America who wanted to live, work and travel freely in the U.S. decades later. Nuevo Plan de Aztlan deals with these disingenuous attacks and especially with the new wave of harassment, discrimination and persecution Indigenas have been confronted with since 9/11.

All Latinas and Latinos are now being portrayed as some sort of “threat” to national security as thousand of “immigrants” among us are being rounded up and herded out of the U.S. like cattle. We are all being treated like foreigners, aliens or immigrants while most European-Americans are pretending to be the only “real Americans” that ever existed.

Is it not the law in Europe that those who knowingly receive stolen property are guilty of this crime and cannot own said property? European terrorists robbed us of our ancestral lands while their offspring now pretend to own this stolen property; and they even call themselves “natives” as the rest of us are treated like foreigners or worse!

The Wall Street Journal in a May 15, 2008 editorial by Jason Riley even urged the federal government to “deport” Chicanas and Chicanos despite our U.S. citizenship for supporting indigenous rights. Nuevo Plan de Aztlan declares all Indigenas should be able to live, work and travel freely throughout our Americas, and that all Chicanas and Chicanos should join in this struggle for indigenous rights.

5. How do you define your heritage?

Our Native American heritage includes all our ancestral lands and freedoms, and all our cultures, religions, traditions and mores as they existed before, during and after the European terrorists began their invasion and occupation of our Americas in the 15th Century.

Chicanas and Chicanos today want our offspring to learn everything they can about our Native American heritage because it represents who and what we are and will always be for so long as the rivers flow. We also want our offspring to have a wholesome understanding of how assimilation, acculturation and interracial procreation have made La Raza an amalgamation of all the races, colors, cultures, nationalities, ethnicities, religions and creeds on earth in our Americas. We are not a race or The Race, we are all the races on earth, la raza cosmica.

6. How have federal and state governments reacted against the Chicano movement? What security concerns do Chicano activists have?

Government and private agencies have spied on us since the Sixties. They have never found anything to be seriously concerned about because Chicanas and Chicanos are predominantly law-abiding citizens who are merely expressing our human concerns as advocates for La Raza and La Causa.

Some of our leaders like Ruben Salazar have been killed while others like Ramsey Muniz have been framed and falsely imprisoned. Politicians like U.S. Congressman Tom Tancredo use the Minutemen and other vigilante groups to attack Chicanas and Chicanos at the grassroots level so public officials can in turn “justify” taking hostile government actions against our people. Mass media and the Internet then spread this racism against Mexicans and their supporters across the nation and around the globe.

We are concerned the U.S. government may eventually take some or all of our leaders “out” because MEChA organizers like me defend our people regardless of their national origin or immigration status. U.S. officials and their private squads are now mostly attacking us in public for speaking out in favor of open borders for indigenous people.

These public attacks alone create a chilling effect in many of our Movement circles at this time because none of our leaders want to be blacklisted or lose their jobs and other advancement opportunities. The old adage of course applies, “Cut off its head, and the body will fall.”

7. What are the reasons to believe that the frequently discussed concept of a North American Union (a political and economic union of Mexico, USA and Canada similar to the European Union) is a measure by the powers that be to forestall or preempt any eventualities that might arise from changes in the demographic transition (demographic transition in favor of the Chicano movement)?

I do not believe the Mexican, U.S. or Canadian governments are too concerned with our growing population in terms of this demographic being some sort of threat to their established powers. I believe the North American Union initiative is designed to exploit Mexico’s cheap labor and natural resources at a time when there is growing resistance to U.S. imperialism in Latin America.

The North American Union initiative is designed to divide Latin America against itself, not to improve the quality of life for Mexicans or the rest of Latin America. The U.S. and Canada want to control all of Mexico while fighting for control of the cheap labor and natural resources of the rest of Latin America in decades to come.

Under the North American Union, Mexico would become a buffer zone for U.S. interests much like Israel is in the Middle East. What does this mean for Chicanas and Chicanos in Aztlan except for more of the same old song and dance.

All the ruling elites of these three countries want to hear from us is our mariachi music as they eat our tacos and beans. Whatever gains them more wealth and power, that’s what their North American Union is all about, and you can bet the U.S. will get everything it wants out of the whole enchilada.

8. What observations have you had about the conflict of interest between being a US citizen and having an interest and loyalty towards your own ethnic group?

First and foremost, I am a citizen of the world. My loyalty is to all humanity, not just to the U.S., Aztlan or our Americas.

The U.S. government is an Anglo-American enterprise. When it turns against my people, I defend them, not this racist enterprise. No one should follow his or her government blindly.

9. Is the war on Iraq a second Vietnam for the USA?

I do not believe the war against Iraqis is much like the war against the Vietnamese people in that the U.S. government wants to steal as much Middle East oil as possible regardless of the costs. Whether it’s Obama or McCain, the war for Middle East oil will continue because most U.S. citizens are too powerless, fearful and ignorant to demand otherwise.

As Major General Smedley Butler of the Marine Corps once wrote, "War is a racket. It always has been... I was a high class muscleman for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers...In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism." The offspring of the European terrorists who originally stole our ancestral lands and freedoms are now doing the same thing in the Middle East.

10. What opportunities are there for the Chicano movement in the ongoing economic and domestic crisis of the USA? Is there a possibility that things will change under Barack Obama if he is elected president?

Things will change regardless of who is elected but not to the extent the Chicana and Chicano Movement will benefit to any significant degree. The pendulum has swung so far to the right in the U.S. these past 40 years that today’s Democrats behave like yesterday’s Republicans, and that is bad news for all Indigenas.

The illusion that Obama is some sort of savior of the downtrodden has been created by his party machine, the same people who shafted us under the Clinton and Carter administrations. The Republicans are much worse but the better of two evils has never gotten La Raza ahead in this racist nation.

-30-
Old 09-17-2008
Veterano

Default Re: La Raza and 9/11

wow that some cool explaining
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-18-2008
Chicle

Send a message via MSN to Masaru

Very interesting.
Old 09-18-2008
Veterano

I remember that they didnt even count all the janitors and cleaning women who worked in the building as part of those that died.....

The cleaning service worked 24/7 and hired mostly immigrants.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-18-2008
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
wow that some cool explaining
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaru View Post
Very interesting.
Were you aware that the newspaper that interviewed him was a Nazi newspaper?

Didn't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralo El Dorado
For those of you still asking who to vote for...vote for McCain
Old 09-18-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by libratarius View Post

Didn't think so.

I'm curious,how does that refute or invalidate the facts and points mentioned in the article?
Old 09-18-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by libratarius View Post

Didn't think so.

"You can give me some head but keep the breakfast in bed, I'd rather spend my morning digging through some records instead" - Devin the Dude. GOAT Pimp MC
Old 09-18-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

I guess Librarian never responded, so that means...I WEEN AGAAYN!
Old 09-18-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMX View Post
I guess Librarian never responded, so that means...I WEEN AGAAYN!
Not really. As long as he runs amok here, we all lose.

"You can give me some head but keep the breakfast in bed, I'd rather spend my morning digging through some records instead" - Devin the Dude. GOAT Pimp MC
Old 09-18-2008
Chicle

Send a message via MSN to Masaru

Quote:

I'm curious,how does that refute or invalidate the facts and points mentioned in the article?
My thoughts exactly. But maybe libratarius is implying that the persons views are somehow invalidated by being published by a paper with a racist agenda?

I could see how that would make sense, since they must feel that publishing this will forward their agenda. But I also feel he makes some good points, offers some useful information, and that his motivation must be to increase awareness of his cause through whatever means are available.

What do you think, Libratarius?
Old 09-24-2008
Banned User
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
I remember that they didnt even count all the janitors and cleaning women who worked in the building as part of those that died.....

The cleaning service worked 24/7 and hired mostly immigrants.
This is soo not true.
Old 09-24-2008
Banned User
Chicle

Quote:

Because any outdated group of people with a lost cause, will never have a point of view that doesn't go along with their agenda.
Old 10-01-2008
Banned User
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighter1 View Post
you quoting dracula?

Terrorism is nothing new for us. Our people have had to deal with foreign terrorists and their fanatical religions for over 500 years
[quoted from storyabove]
Are people been terrorized with racism and plagued with economical oppression , among denial of equal opportunities and Justice and fairness and maltreatment as a second class person or citizen...and alienated from being seen or united from the Community....

as for 9-11 attacks ,,, what are we supposed to do, about it?
we were stereotyped and characterized to resemble middle easterns and presented a threat so the border was a national security issue to close the border... the japanese were put into camps during the japanese war...
its typical for white people to see others of color or ethnicity as a threat of some kind....
unless they piss off the Russians and have the KGB up their ass again...

I am sick of the White mainstream racists...
Sorry to tell you this,but It just so happens not just the WHITE people want a controlled border. But I'm sure your racist opinions can't see past the reality that Americans,black,white,asian, want a secured border.

but we just keep grow9ing and infiltrating with our race and educating our future generations and return the money back to the community each month or week or daily and it will become a foundation of growth and strength.
You are so right, Mexico has treated their people with no respect, unlike U.S.A. Who has for years taken mexicos poor and given them the path to a better life. Even illegals.,who have no opportunity in mexico,recieve education,medical services, and wealfare from the taxpayers of this country.

I hate to tell you this, but it's not just WHITES that want a secured border,Americans from all walks of life want to control the borders just like mexico does on it's southern border, And when you use the word "INFILTRATE". It's no wonder why.

INFILTRATING............"The act of sneeking into a area without detection for the purpose of creating a sinister act." Just like the hyjackers on 9/11 did.
Old 10-01-2008
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrules View Post
You are so right, Mexico has treated their people with no respect, unlike U.S.A. Who has for years taken mexicos poor and given them the path to a better life. Even illegals.,who have no opportunity in mexico,recieve education,medical services, and wealfare from the taxpayers of this country.

I hate to tell you this, but it's not just WHITES that want a secured border,Americans from all walks of life want to control the borders just like mexico does on it's southern border, And when you use the word "INFILTRATE". It's no wonder why.

INFILTRATING............"The act of sneeking into a area without detection for the purpose of creating a sinister act." Just like the hyjackers on 9/11 did.

Are you White?
Old 10-01-2008
Chicle

The places the article talks about were stolen from the US "Indians" or Natives by Spain. It was they that were here first, not Spanish speaking people. Why are they forgotten?
Old 10-01-2008
Banned User
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Are you White?
Why? Would my color change these facts? My color change mexicos treatment of it's own people? Would it change the definition of "infiltrate". Would it change anything at all. Or would it just give you an excuse to write off everything I say as racist, and not have to think about what I'm saying? A easy way to avoid the truth.
Old 10-01-2008
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrules View Post
Why? Would my color change these facts? My color change mexicos treatment of it's own people? Would it change the definition of "infiltrate". Would it change anything at all. Or would it just give you an excuse to write off everything I say as racist, and not have to think about what I'm saying? A easy way to avoid the truth.
I am White and am just looking over the site from being curious. I don't like the term infiltrate either. Very sick.
Old 10-02-2008
Estudiante

Quote:
I am White and am just looking over the site from being curious. I don't like the term infiltrate either. Very sick.
Just remember, no one is representing this site as one view point. So I hope your whole conclusion on this site isn't based on the threads you choose to look at.

Not everything here is "race" based

Oh and Rubens' name reminds me of a sandwich, and I want one now. Mmm, saaandwich.
This little piggy violated virgins
And this little piggy clambered over a heap of dead bodies to get to the top.
-- Neil Gaiman
Old 10-05-2008
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia View Post
Just remember, no one is representing this site as one view point. So I hope your whole conclusion on this site isn't based on the threads you choose to look at.

Not everything here is "race" based

Oh and Rubens' name reminds me of a sandwich, and I want one now. Mmm, saaandwich.

Thanks, I understand that. I am just attracted to the political type threads so there's always "crap" there.

lol @ the sandwich. I just ate some leftover birthday cake for breakfast.

Old 10-05-2008
Estudiante

Quote:
Thanks, I understand that. I am just attracted to the political type threads so there's always "crap" there.

lol @ the sandwich. I just ate some leftover birthday cake for breakfast.

Understandable, you've got a great head on your shoulders. You seem to tolerate a lot of garbage on here, stuff I'd be too irritated to tolerate.

You're good peoples~

Mmm, caaake; I so do the same thing for breakfast. I eat whatever I can find in the fridge. I had spaghetti for breakfast
This little piggy violated virgins
And this little piggy clambered over a heap of dead bodies to get to the top.
-- Neil Gaiman
Old 10-05-2008
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia View Post
Understandable, you've got a great head on your shoulders. You seem to tolerate a lot of garbage on here, stuff I'd be too irritated to tolerate.

You're good peoples~

Mmm, caaake; I so do the same thing for breakfast. I eat whatever I can find in the fridge. I had spaghetti for breakfast

Thanks. You def. seem like good people too. Interestingly the girls have been nicer than the guys.

That's something we have in common. I'm as likely to have warmed up lasagne or pizza for breakfast as anything! lol, the other day it was Ramen noodles!
Old 10-08-2008
Chicle

Actually the German writer/newspaper refused to publish the interview that I posted here because I demanded they not edit my answers. They wanted to change European terrorists to European "settlers."

I was adamant that from my Chicano point of view, the original Europeans who invaded and occupied our Americas were TERRORISTS, not cute little "settlers" who just wanted a new place to live.

AND MANY OF THEIR OFFSPRING ARE TERRORISTS, TOO, as is obvious in their latest invasions and occupations, e.g., Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam.

Ruben Botello, Disabled Vietnam Veterano Y Que!
http://www.blazingstar.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaru View Post
My thoughts exactly. But maybe libratarius is implying that the persons views are somehow invalidated by being published by a paper with a racist agenda?

I could see how that would make sense, since they must feel that publishing this will forward their agenda. But I also feel he makes some good points, offers some useful information, and that his motivation must be to increase awareness of his cause through whatever means are available.

What do you think, Libratarius?