Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 06-12-2011
Travieso

Default What is a Latino?

Now you know! Stop calling yourselves Latinos unless you are White and from EUROPE
Old 06-15-2011
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default Re: What is a Latino?

ummm...but the video makes a point that people who speak a romance language can be referred to as Latinos....not just white people from Europe.

did I miss something in the video?
Old 06-21-2011
Prospect

Same here, I think the creator of this video instead thought it was discriminatory to consider only European "latinos" and is arguing that blaks, asians, and indigenous people who speak spanish and portuguese have the right to call themselves that.
Old 06-22-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

While it sounds like the facts he cited are accurate (for the most part) and likely widely available, I wonder what his sources are. I would take information by this person with a grain of salt until then.

What is a Latino? I think this question is somewhat along the same lines as "what is a chicano?" There will always be a structured and "correct" definition, and there will be those who define it for themselves.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 06-22-2011
Travieso

xicanachick thx I just think calling oneself latino when they are Mexican(Indian) or from Central American(Indian) is kind of like a black people calling themselves English because most of their slave masters were of english decent!
Old 06-23-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Personally, I don't mind being called a Latina. I much rather be called that than hispanic. While I personally identify myself as Mexicana/Xicana, how would other people know that about me unless I told them? Too often it is too much of a hassle (for me at least) to try to get people to understand my reasoning behind how I identify myself.

I know that a lot of Chicanos don't like to be called Latinos. Maybe that makes me a "bad" Xicana, but I don't care that much. I don't need others to validate my identity. I feel it's the same way if someone calls themselves Latino. It doesn't hurt me in any way, so why should I care to validate how they identify?

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 06-23-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

I much prefer to label myself Mexican thank you very damn much.
Old 06-24-2011
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Chicahua11 View Post
xicanachick thx I just think calling oneself latino when they are Mexican(Indian) or from Central American(Indian) is kind of like a black people calling themselves English because most of their slave masters were of english decent!
eres india o mestiza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
Personally, I don't mind being called a Latina. I much rather be called that than hispanic. While I personally identify myself as Mexicana/Xicana, how would other people know that about me unless I told them? Too often it is too much of a hassle (for me at least) to try to get people to understand my reasoning behind how I identify myself.

I know that a lot of Chicanos don't like to be called Latinos. Maybe that makes me a "bad" Xicana, but I don't care that much. I don't need others to validate my identity. I feel it's the same way if someone calls themselves Latino. It doesn't hurt me in any way, so why should I care to validate how they identify?
word on the streets is that they call you latina lover in the barrio

Last edited by xicanachick; 06-26-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2011
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
eres india o mestiza?
Mexican y Italian
Old 06-26-2011
Gunner

boo @ yur italian side
Old 07-08-2011
Travieso

Malicioso boo @ you
Old 07-09-2011
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

did you invent the mexican pizza?

Quote:
What is a Latino? I think this question is somewhat along the same lines as "what is a chicano?" There will always be a structured and "correct" definition, and there will be those who define it for themselves.
XC I don't think that's true. The term "latino" is pretty self explanatory. the term chicano is not. both terms can be simplified but it seems for a lot of people, the term chicano has a lot more weight and complexity.

Last edited by SJ; 07-09-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2011
Prospect

We need to come to an agreement on a universal term with an equal understandable and easily defined meaning.

Too many labels that are not 'official' divides us. I hear Tejano's who try to say they are different than Chicano's to the extent they might as well say they are another race. On a whole other level, the grand 'Hispanic' spectrum of pure Indigenous to the almost Caucasoid Mestizo from Canada to Argentina needs a unifying label as well.

Our people would be more prosperous if we could stand together without feeling awkward and alienated about uncertainties on who is who.

A Canadian Metis is no different racially than a Mexican or Brazilian Mestizo.
One of the main reasons why White's are so prosperous is that they are all White in the grand scheme of things. White's then rightfully take the best of their inner cultural differences and put them together to build a strong people yet at the same time keeping the English English and the Swedes Swedes.
Old 07-09-2011
Prospect

Latino = Latin = Latin Europe = Latin Europeans = European = white people

"Latino" was created by French colonists in the 1700s to group together all the Latin European colonists (Spaniard, French, Portuguese).

"Latin America" was created by the French to be a counterweight to "Anglo America"

Latin culture has no place in our history except as a foreign, colonial concept.

Nican Tlaca = "We People Here" in the Nahuatl language.

* Nican Tlaca unites us all of Indigenous descent, without relying on Eurocentric and racist labels that promote "racial purity" pseudoscience.

* You can be Mexican, Guatemalan, Salvadoran, Lakota, Canadian First Nation, Shoshone, Quechua, etc and be Nican Tlaca.

* You can be mixed-blood and full-blood Nican Tlaca.

* Nican Tlaca is gender neutral.
(Try that with the sexist language of Spain = Latino/Latina)

(Nican Tlaca is pronounced neeh-kahn tlah-cah)

Nican Tlaca comes from Nahutatl:
Nahuatl was (and still is) the largest Indigenous language in "North America".

Nahuatl was the *lingua franca* of our pre-European world.

Nahuatl is part of the Uto-Aztecan linguistic family (modern category) that stretches from the Four Corners region down to El Salvador, Nicaragua, and part of Costa Rica.

Nahuatl means "clear speaking", which is metaphorically expressed in the "four waters" metaphor (per Dr Fermin Hererra, the major Nahuatl expert).

The following are all European Colonial racial caste labels:

- mestizo
- metis
- half-breed
- mulatto

Mestizo?
The Spaniards were mestizos = mixed with Arabs, Berbers, Romans, Germanics, Jews, Gypsies, etc.

And yet with all that mixture of blood, the Spaniards just consider themselves Spaniards. They based their identity on the land they are on and their historical common denominator.

We need to break away from this "half Spanish mestizo" nonsense.
Our identity is older than the Spanish invaders. We can't let their rape of our people define who we are.

Last edited by xicanachick; 07-11-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Triple posting. Use the edit feature!
Old 07-09-2011
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicanTlaca View Post

Mestizo?
The Spaniards were mestizos = mixed with Arabs, Berbers, Romans, Germanics, Jews, Gypsies, etc.

And yet with all that mixture of blood, the Spaniards just consider themselves Spaniards. They based their identity on the land they are on and their historical common denominator.
Wrong. Most Spaniards are full blooded white. The Spaniards did a good job diluting non whites from the rest of the blue blood population during the inquisition and the whole caste system/blue blood policies.

Saying that Spaniards have all that in them is saying those of us that have Spanish blood have all those races/ethnicities. Which isn't true.
Old 07-17-2011
Chicle

Quote:
xicanachick thx Mexican(Indian) or from Central American(Indian)
Señora, ¿me puede explicar con mas detalle que quiso decir con esto?
Old 08-26-2011
Fresh Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsaidthehorsey1 View Post
Wrong. Most Spaniards are full blooded white. The Spaniards did a good job diluting non whites from the rest of the blue blood population during the inquisition and the whole caste system/blue blood policies.

Saying that Spaniards have all that in them is saying those of us that have Spanish blood have all those races/ethnicities. Which isn't true.
No, it is true

"pure blood" is a pseudo colonial concept btw..

Last edited by Sweet Potato; 08-26-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2011
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to lonelyloca

Quote:

Now you know! Stop calling yourselves Latinos unless you are White and from EUROPE

oookay??
i thought that it was a person whos language derived from latin i guess i was wrong!

SOY's ORIGINAL LONELYLOCA!
Old 09-06-2011
Gunner

:0 wow I should really brush up on my ethnic history

Old 11-11-2011
Fresh Meat!

I thought 'Latino' was a demographic modification to (from) 'Hispanic'. Hispanic referred to Spanish-speaking populations in Latin America, but left out Portugese-speaking peoples, like those in Brazil. Latino is a term that encompasses all of Latin America under one, big umbrella.

The question is do we want that? Does this 'Latino' term diminish the rich cultures and histories of the individual countries?

I saw 'pan-Latin' in a scholarly paper, once. Sounds like a pizza. No thanks.
Old 11-12-2011
Supporter
Veterano

^So...what are you then, Mel?