Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity > Genealogy

Genealogy Anything related to Genealogy.

Old 04-10-2008
Travieso

Default How far has anyone gone in their genealogical research?

How far has anyone gone in their research of their ancestors?

How many lines have they filled in?
-Acolmiztli Netzahualcoyotl

"Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go." - Bernard Malamud

http://rayoxuditv.tk
http://tlacuilopilo.blogspot.com
http://babyamoxtli.blogspot.com
Old 04-10-2008
Veterano

Default Re: How far has anyone gone in their genealogical research?

my cousin said she went back to where someone came from Lebanon (Jewish?), settled in Spain and then went to "New Spain" which is now New Mexico in the early 1700's with a land grant.

I dont know how many generations ago that was.........all I know for certain is that 4 generations ago, New Mexico became a state - so that makes me, the 5th generation U.S. citizen....
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Last edited by LaChavela; 04-10-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2008
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
my cousin said she went back to where someone came from Lebanon (Jewish?), settled in Spain and then went to "New Spain" which is now New Mexico in the early 1700's with a land grant.

I dont know how many generations ago that was.........all I know for certain is that 4 generations ago, New Mexico became a state - so that makes me, the 5th generation U.S. citizen....
I believe is true. Some Mexicans can trace their ancestry to Lebanon, especifically.

Not only many Lebanese came directly to Mexico. But also some, like you said, might have made a "stop" at Spain.

The Lebanese families I know that came here to Mexico or New Spain were and are of a Catholic sect called in spanish Maronitas. Many confuse it with another religion, but their Catholics nonetheless. Interesting because some of them carry heavy arab family names. Probably that is why they came to Mexico.

"Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go." - Bernard Malamud

Old 04-16-2008
deleted user [001]

Quote:

I knew a lot of Lebanese families in New Mexico. It was common to find Lebanese and Basque people in Northern New Mexico.

I traced my mother's side back to the 1600's since they all lived in New Mexico. As for my father's side, I have not had the chance to trace that side yet. My father is a first generation and mis abuelitos are both from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon.

I'll work on that this year, hopefully.
Old 04-16-2008
Gunner

Mother nature is keeping a secret....
http://www.soychicano.com/forums/sho...&postcount=125
Old 04-24-2008
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
I knew a lot of Lebanese families in New Mexico. It was common to find Lebanese and Basque people in Northern New Mexico.

I traced my mother's side back to the 1600's since they all lived in New Mexico. As for my father's side, I have not had the chance to trace that side yet. My father is a first generation and mis abuelitos are both from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon.

I'll work on that this year, hopefully.
Well that's great.

A lot of families in northern Mexico or Texas/New Mexico report having a side of the family coming from Monterrey.

This is common because the Monterrey and Saltillo area were used as hubs during the Spanish Conquest of the North. Eventually the majority of Mexicans living in Texas or New Mexico also has an ancestor that came from Monterrey.

Now, the majority (not all) of the people from Monterrey and Saltillo were Tlaxcaltecas, and a minority of Otomi. These two nations were used by the Spaniards to "populate" the Northestern Mexico. And Tlaxcaltecas were part Nahuatlacos, part Teochichimecas. That is why Monterrey and Saltillo things that "suddenly" appeared, like the Sarape.

Old 04-26-2008
Estudiante

Another good thing to do is too fill in the other families that tie into your lines. It can help you figure out things or even give you clues to find out other things you may not have known about. One of my ancestors was traced back to Mexico City in the early to mid 1600's. Just not sure whom the ancestor was that came from Spain. EHP
Old 04-26-2008
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hijo Perdido View Post
Another good thing to do is too fill in the other families that tie into your lines. It can help you figure out things or even give you clues to find out other things you may not have known about. One of my ancestors was traced back to Mexico City in the early to mid 1600's. Just not sure whom the ancestor was that came from Spain. EHP
Thats where I'm at too. I am not sure who the person is or the direct relation. But I've traced back as far as 1780.

Bone Meter: 31

Shes a superfreak! Superfreak! Shes superfreaky...yeah!!!

'She put a spell on me!!"
Old 04-26-2008
Veterano

My indigenous roots come from the Arapahoe and Mescalero Apaches that were in the area. Since my family come from the southern part of the mountains of New Mexico, many of my family hid and were not taken to the reservations.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 04-26-2008
Veterano

I was just talking about this last night with my mother.

I thought about looking into it, but I'm just not that motivated.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 04-26-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavela
My indigenous roots come from the Arapahoe
They were further up by the cheyenne, werent they?
Old 04-26-2008
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
They were further up by the cheyenne, werent they?
yes, I can figure it - but thats what the family says.........since my family never registered with any tribe in a reservation, its kind of hard to prove.

My Aunt has pictures of who she says is our great-great grandmother and she is pictured in the Apache dress of the times - leather shirt and cotton skirt with concha belt.
She says that she is Arapahoe, later combined with the Apache, some in Mescalero. One of her sons also married an Apache. It was this son who later helped Billy the Kid escape from the jail in Lincoln, New Mexico.
Old 04-26-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Oh, so Mescalero and Arapaho on the same rez? I thought you ment Before the rez time, lol. But thats cool.
Old 04-26-2008
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
I was just talking about this last night with my mother.

I thought about looking into it, but I'm just not that motivated.
Well try to find the motivation if you can. Remember it's not just for you but for your future generations to know where it is that they come from and a part of who they are, especially as a people. Remember it's something that you do over long amounts of time. you stop and then come back to it and then stop again etc... so don't look at it that way. It takes time and patience.

Quote:
My indigenous roots come from the Arapahoe and Mescalero Apaches that were in the area. Since my family come from the southern part of the mountains of New Mexico, many of my family hid and were not taken to the reservations.
Mine come from the Pueblo on that side of the family mixed with Spaniard. They intermingled so you really rarely find one without the other somehow. They have an old saying which kind of rings true. They say that new mexicans are related unto themselves and in many cases that was literally true. A good way to figure things out is to also look into who the families that tied into yours were and research them as well. You find that the families all weave in and out of each other. it's like a giant puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
Thats where I'm at too. I am not sure who the person is or the direct relation. But I've traced back as far as 1780.
I've always had a theory about that one. I thought about trying to find any of the records from Spain that had passenger lists of the ships that came to the new world. Often thought if a bit of work was done on that side that you may be able to connect to this side somehow. It's a stretch but plausible. EHP
Old 04-26-2008
deleted user [001]

Quote:
My Aunt has pictures of who she says is our great-great grandmother and she is pictured in the Apache dress of the times - leather shirt and cotton skirt with concha belt.
It is likely that she was Dine/Navajo if she was wearing a concho belt.

My mother collects Native American art and can look at a rug, pot, sand painting, or basket and tell you where it comes from based on the design. She can do the same with jewelry. I collect jewelry because my nana left me a lot of jewelry when she passed away.

Sorry for going off topic. I may make a thread to post pictures of my mama's house and some of the pieces in my collection.
Old 04-27-2008
Estudiante

ive always wanted to know where my family came from. as far back as i know most of my family has lived in monterrey for a long time
Old 04-27-2008
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas_G View Post
ive always wanted to know where my family came from. as far back as i know most of my family has lived in monterrey for a long time
Read my posts on this forum; they will help you get started in doing that if your really interested in that. EHP
Old 05-01-2008
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hijo Perdido View Post

I've always had a theory about that one. I thought about trying to find any of the records from Spain that had passenger lists of the ships that came to the new world. Often thought if a bit of work was done on that side that you may be able to connect to this side somehow. It's a stretch but plausible. EHP
Unless you have a name of your ancestor from Spain or whatever country of origin, it would be fruitless. With a name, it is still difficult, because the majority of Spaniards that came to New Spain came for shadowy reasons. Most came becuase they were running from something, i.e. a crime, a fixed marriage, with money. I've heard lots of stories.

In my case, I was able to trace my roots all the way to ancient Egypt because I had names here and there in different times. Doing the connection is the easy part.

My family kept the names of those who lived in Spain during the Middle Ages, all the way to the 20th century. From there I made connections to France, Aquitaine, Scandinavia, Italy, Germanic tribes, and even well before.

I have an interesting line that goes back to Adam and Eve. Funny part is I also have a line that connects me to the Roman Gods. So much for "real" religions.

The thing you mentioned about different families mixed up over and over again is also true. That is why I descend from three different parts from Charlesmagne.