Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Anything that doesn't quite fit anywhere else. This is usually where the chisme can be found!

Old 01-26-2015
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default rant: overcompensation and social media

overheard an interesting discussion about social media. The basic idea is people tend to overcompensate their shitty, boring, unhappy lives on social media by posting how awesome/exciting/happy their lives are. Like all the f'ing time.... You all know the type.

People with low self esteem tend to crave the likes on their selfies, vacation posts and dumb insignificant day to day "accomplishments". Insecure people tend to post how awesome their b/f or g/f is and are constantly trying to show how funny, interesting they are to everyone. How much they had fun "last night" are again just there to try to prove they live interesting lives(when they don't)

People tend to post only "great" things about their lives because in reality they are miserable. I mean who wants to read that they are alone, they did nothing that day, and the highlight of their day is they had eggs for breakfast. nobody! (except for me though, how did you make your eggs? lets hang out next time u feel alone.)

I became extremely curious about this subject and started googling when I got home. Apparently there are quite a lot of articles on this subject.

thoughts?

Last edited by SJ; 01-26-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2015
Maestro

Default Re: rant: overcompensation and social media

My life is great! I have the best life EVER! If you don't believe me, I'll post a billion selfies of me smiling at my great and awesome life!
Then, I'll post hundreds of pics of my dogs, cuz, who would like that?
Oh! And, pics of my food will be posted daily. Breakfast, second breakfast, lunch and dinner. And all snacks in between. And, yes SJ, I WILL have eggs this morning, and they will me made as an omelet. Mmmmmm!

Haha! Anywho....I personally don't care. I'd much rather read positivity than negativity. Whether people are being truthful or not. It's not my place to judge or determine if a person might be lying about their awesome life and all the happiness they're experiencing.
I don't mind pics of this or that. I'm a visual person, I can appreciate maybe posting a pic of something you may have built or an amazing cake that you may have baked.
Selfies are okay, just keep them to a minimum.

I think people who complain about these types of things, Just like complaining for the sake of complaining. Negative, mad, mean people. And, THAT'S what I don't like. But, that's just me and my lil 'ol opinion.

Last edited by just tru; 01-26-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2015
Gunner

You're just noticing this now, SJ, really? I've noticed this since the Myspace era. I deleted that shit and didn't even bother moving on to Face because I was so disgusted by it.

I could care less and am honestly not impressed. You guys don't fool me.

You make my heart flutter, like wings of a hummingbird. With you, my soul flies... <3
Old 01-26-2015
Site Admin
Presidente

it's not really about thinking they are lying(could be, but that's a different discussion). Nor is it an attack on these people. It's actually quite the contrary, can't help but feel a bit bad. People's need for constant positive feedback on day to day things in the form of likes is sad.

Tru, it's not so much about wanting people to be more negative either. because being negative all the time is the same issue.

I think this issue has to impact the youth very negatively. puts an incredible amount of pressure on them to impress everyone all the time.
Old 01-26-2015
Chicle

*guilty*

Old 01-27-2015
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
I think this issue has to impact the youth very negatively. puts an incredible amount of pressure on them to impress everyone all the time.
I couldn't agree with you more. Not only does it create pressure for competition, it opens up a whole new issue of young people being so desensitized to their actions or the actions of others. I mean, that's where you get kids who post vids or pics of rape, horrible beatdowns, mutilating their bodies, having toddlers hit a joint or a cigarette, or drinking alcohol, and all the while, laughing their asses off about it. And for what? The likes? The views?

Other young people will see that, and think it's funny or badass, so then, kicks in the competition. I want to post up something "funnier" or more "badass". It's horrible.
Old 01-27-2015
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Is this thread created bc I post pics of me cooking a meal that is edible? LOL.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 01-27-2015
Director

Yea... sometimes I get annoyed from all the dam selfies these narcissistic hoes on IG be putting up... but then they post some booty shots and I'm ok with it. Not like I'm trying to marry these crazy bitches, they're just eye candy.

And fb... eh... you can remove annoying ppl from your feed so you can tailor it to your liking.

Only thing about social media is it seems to disconnect you from those you'd probably normally miss communicating with... but on the flip side, life can do that as well and social media can help you to keep up to date w/them too.

Whatever, it's something to do when I'm sitting on the toilet
Old 01-27-2015
Gunner

^^^

You make my heart flutter, like wings of a hummingbird. With you, my soul flies... <3
Old 01-28-2015
Gunner

so essentially losers have a high post count and people with lives have a low post count.
Old 01-28-2015
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
so essentially losers have a high post count and people with lives have a low post count.
Pretty much. LOL.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 01-28-2015
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
Haha. Maybe. Some of the people with low post count could also be "losers" who choose not to overcompensate by posting a lot lol
Old 01-29-2015
Director

So you go right, to go left... and left, to go right...
but then you can also go right to go right... and left to go left...
understand losers?

Last edited by CaliPac; 01-29-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2015
Chicle

Lol
Old 08-19-2015
Chicle

I can be an attentionwhorishish sometimes
Old 08-19-2015
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Old 08-19-2015
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
overheard an interesting discussion about social media. The basic idea is people tend to overcompensate their shitty, boring, unhappy lives on social media by posting how awesome/exciting/happy their lives are. Like all the f'ing time.... You all know the type.

People with low self esteem tend to crave the likes on their selfies, vacation posts and dumb insignificant day to day "accomplishments". Insecure people tend to post how awesome their b/f or g/f is and are constantly trying to show how funny, interesting they are to everyone. How much they had fun "last night" are again just there to try to prove they live interesting lives(when they don't)

People tend to post only "great" things about their lives because in reality they are miserable. I mean who wants to read that they are alone, they did nothing that day, and the highlight of their day is they had eggs for breakfast. nobody! (except for me though, how did you make your eggs? lets hang out next time u feel alone.)

I became extremely curious about this subject and started googling when I got home. Apparently there are quite a lot of articles on this subject.

thoughts?
One of my sisters is the queen of this shit. Its always what a great marriage she has, how awesome her ugly kids are, how charitable she is. It never ends. And its not just being "positive". Its an unrealistic perfect life she is painting. It makes me fucken sick. I cant even associate with her. She'd just use any interaction we have as an opportunity to prop herself up as a great sister, how awesome I amx which I guess makes her awesome by default, because did she mention how she practically raised me and thats how she perfected her parenting skills to the point where she now has perfect kids?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 08-19-2015
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Damn saying your nieces and nephews are ugly? Cold blooded

And the uncle of the year award goes to...
Old 08-23-2015
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post