Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Finance, Business, & Employment

Finance, Business, & Employment Stocks, Bonds, Money Market, Management, Personal Finances; Business Talk, Home Businesses; MLMs; Financial Opportunities; Employment, Help Wanted, Resumes

Old 04-06-2008
Banned User
Maestro

Default Investing

whats some thing good to invest your money into?? any ideas???
Old 05-08-2008
Maestro

Default Re: Investing

Go for gold...

...also, if you're fairly young, there is nothing wrong with continuing to buy stocks right now. Eventually things will pick up. I took a hit, like most people lately, but fortunately I had a few low-risk items in my portfolio, which helped stop the bleeding!
Old 05-08-2008
coyotesnack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professora View Post
Go for gold...

...also, if you're fairly young, there is nothing wrong with continuing to buy stocks right now. Eventually things will pick up. I took a hit, like most people lately, but fortunately I had a few low-risk items in my portfolio, which helped stop the bleeding!
I know, it's sad to see how much my stocks have devalued in the last 12 months. I keep putting in hoping that things will turn around soon, but I should probably move some of it to a less agressive fund.
Old 05-08-2008
Maestro

It was the bonds that saved me. I don't have much invested in bonds, but I happy that what I do have, saved me from losing even more money.

As bad as things are getting, I haven't moved anything around yet. For the past few weeks, I've been thinking that if I just keep buying at these low rates, I'll accumulate and bounce back eventually. However, I think I am going to make some changes by the end of this month.
Old 05-09-2008
Banned User
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano_Widd_Shadez619 View Post
whats some thing good to invest your money into?? any ideas???
If you are young then put it in mutual funds, they are safer than stocks and bonds!
"It's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German," he had said. "And then we go over to Europe and all's we'se can say is 'merci beaucoup.'"
Borock Hussien Obama Jr.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimiizzzhhhiiippiiilllliiii
thanks, but i have no car and no money. i think it's just her time. she's already 10 yrs old so, she is an old lady.
Old 05-09-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelotero View Post
If you are young then put it in mutual funds, they are safer than stocks and bonds!
...only if you know what you're doing. Many mutual funds have tanked in recent weeks. Bonds are generally one of the safer investments you can make (in my view, and in the view of many investors).
Old 05-09-2008
Gunner

If you're in Cali, invest in those bluetooth cell phone mas puto ear pieces. The new law is coming into effect soon and everyone will be buying them.

On a more serious note, buy land.

"You can give me some head but keep the breakfast in bed, I'd rather spend my morning digging through some records instead" - Devin the Dude. GOAT Pimp MC
Old 05-13-2008
Banned User
Maestro

no shit im puting money on the mas puto bluetooth chingaderas, bonds? how do they work? or what you do with them...im cluless in alota things sorry
Old 05-13-2008
Maestro

I have Fidelity Select Wireless (FWRLX). Hasn't done too well lately, but I'm buying it up at this lower price. Things will eventually turn around...
Old 05-13-2008
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

i was thinking about starting a thread for this..

thanx for the info you all
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 05-18-2008
Banned User
Maestro

im gona start pimping
Old 05-18-2008
Maestro

^Not a good idea--do you think people will have extra money to use on prostitutes if they can't even afford gasoline right now?
Old 05-18-2008
Banned User
Maestro

thanks for crushing my dreams
Old 05-19-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano_Widd_Shadez619 View Post
no shit im puting money on the mas puto bluetooth chingaderas, bonds? how do they work? or what you do with them...im cluless in alota things sorry
Stocks are equity instruments. You own a portion of a company when you buy their stock. If the company does well then you can make some money. Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket by putting all your money into one company's stock.

Bonds are debt instruments. You become a lender of money to municipalities, other governmnet entities, and corporations when you purchase bonds. When a new school, bridge, or sewer project gets under way in a town near you, the projects are funded via bonds---municipal bonds for schools, bridges, and sewer projects. You also have corporate bonds and government bonds.

Mutual funds allow you to diversify your money better than you possibly could on your own because mutual funds are overseen by a fund manager. The manager is a professional whose full time job is to manage his/her fund, or, your money. The manager pools investors' monies and uses those funds to invest in a large number of small and/or large companies across various sectors---banking, telecom, pharmaceuticals, etc... This allows you to get more bang for your buck.

You can invest in mutual funds that are pure equity (stocks), pure debt (bonds), or a combination of the two. Mutual funds are generally the better way to go if you don't have much capital. Many mutual funds allow you to contribute a fixed amount each and every month until you reach a minimum dollar amount.

Some mutual funds are "free" while others are loaded with fees.

You have to determine what kind of risk you are willing to take and also how long you have to invest before you come to a decision on which vehicle you want your money to ride.

You can lose money on any investment! Do your research!

That's the gist...hope it helped a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL SALSA View Post
well i guess i'm one of you now
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
Hillsboro fag!
Quote:
...how the fuck did you know i was from hillsboro?

Last edited by SoyCatracho; 05-19-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2008
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to megustahoy Send a message via Yahoo to megustahoy

It really depends on what your needs are. Investment is a long term commitment. You can't expect to invest now and have high rates of return in a year, especially the way the market is going now (unless you really really know the market well and you absolutely know which stocks are going to explode, but most lay people don't know that at all)

My husband and I opened a municipal bond fund about 2 years ago, unfortunately we've had to use some of the money we've put in it, but have for the most part put it back in. We don't plan on using the money anymore and it is now our children's college fund (we don't plan on having any children until another 4-5 years). So that money is there long term.
We also have IRA accounts, which we can't touch until retirement.

Our municipal bond fund and my IRA are in accounts in Dreyfus, and they've got a great planning and education section that might be helpful for you.
My husband's IRA is in a Smith Barney account (which is now a part of citigroup). I'd suggest looking around at the different banks and figure out what fits your needs best.
Old 06-07-2008
Maestro

^Good for you & your hubby for starting a college fund way ahead of time. More people need to do this. However, I remember I got clowned by a few Soy members for suggesting that Chicanos should start college funds for their kids.
Old 06-07-2008
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to megustahoy Send a message via Yahoo to megustahoy

Yeah, as long as you can do it (meaning saving money won't make you homeless) it's really important to start a savings as soon as you can. The way our economy is going right now, tuition keeps getting more expensive and so does the cost of living. I heard that a lot of banks are planning to stop giving loans to students who want to attend community college, before you know it they'll stop loans to CSU students and then UC students. A college education is fast becoming a privilege just like it was when colleges first started to pop up. Anyone who clowns you for suggestion that they should start a college fund is really stupid, and I guess they want to pass that on to their children.
Old 06-07-2008
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to SuaveHighTimes Send a message via Yahoo to SuaveHighTimes

Today there is more options than ever before to invest and make your money work for you. Before you make a decision on how to invest your hard earned mula, make sure you know why you invest in the first place. Are you looking for long term gains or short term? Is there a particular reason you want to save money, or did you just pull this decision out of the air? The right reason to invest is as important as what you invest in.

For starters, do some research on the different types of investment plans out there, and meanwhile place your money in a 3 or 6 month CD account to help prevent you from spending it while you decide what your next step should be.
Old 06-08-2008
Maestro

^Good points.

Also, be sure to assess the level of risk you are comfortable with. Right now (at my age and without a family to be concerned with), I am comfortable with more risk. I'm sure that will change in a few years. It's good to evaluate what you are investing in on at least a year-to-year basis.
Old 06-09-2008
Maestro

...and before you begin putting money into an investment savings plan ensure you are adequately insured and you have at least 3 months pay set aside in an emergency account.
Quote:
well i guess i'm one of you now
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
Hillsboro fag!
Quote:
...how the fuck did you know i was from hillsboro?
Old 06-09-2008
Maestro

^That may be some of the best advice of all (insurance and savings)...
Old 06-09-2008
Director

I'm gonna buy a gas station..
Old 06-09-2008
Maestro

Natural gas, utilites are doing well for me right now.
Old 06-09-2008
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Diversify your funds nigga!

Old 06-12-2008
Banned User
Maestro

i think im geting me a ice cream truck