Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Shopping

Shopping Whether it be online shopping, offline shopping, or just great deals... this is your place to talk about it.

Old 05-16-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Buycott - Vote with Wallet

Comment: Just wondering how many you have the app? I have it on my droid and for an app at its early stages, it has tons of potential.

User can make their user generated causes to boycott or support things which is how most of these campaigns are made.

Since corporations own so many things, it gets confusing on who owns what. This makes it a bit easier.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-575...e-supermarket/

Buycott app lets you vote with your wallet in the supermarket

Think you know what's in your grocery cart? Think again. Or use the Buycott app to check.

Supermarkets are labyrinthine behemoths laid out in a convenient linear fashion. So where's the maze? On the supermarket shelves, of course. Food products galore stare back at us, silently appealing to our penchants for sugar, salt, and fat. We pick and choose, knowing full well what we are getting into. But it's the hidden components that are increasingly becoming a salient issue.

If supermarket shelves are overwhelming due to the sheer diversity of items, imagine the corporate structure behind the packaging. Or don't; just let your phone do it. Scan any bar code (UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN8, EAN13...) with your phone and the free Buycott app (for iOS; a previously available Android version is now "Coming soon") will display the product's corporate family tree on the screen. The app takes knowing where your food comes from further, telling you not only what brand belongs to what company, but what that company does with your dollars.

Pulling back the curtain on corporate activity should be an easy process. For example, GMO labeling is an important issue that many aren't even aware of. (Check out Prop 37 for an introduction to both sides of the debate.)

Currently, the government doesn't require that any GMO information be passed on to the consumer. Big food corporations want it to stay that way. Monsanto, for example, spends millions of dollars to keep GMO information off of packaging. How much? Buycott will tell you.

Importantly, and promisingly, users can join campaigns (both for and against) issues that they care about. The app keeps track of user input, making it easy to shop for products that don't conflict with your beliefs. And this is what it is all about: knowing where your food comes from and where the dollars that buy it go.

If initial reaction is any gauge then it would appear this is something that consumers have been waiting for. There have been some negative user reviews as Buycott has been struggling to deal with the traffic. However, it's worth keeping an eye on, just like your grocery basket.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 05-16-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Re: Buycott - Vote with Wallet

Yes, please!

I hope the Android app comes out soon!

Old 05-17-2013
Veterano

Default Re: Buycott - Vote with Wallet

too late for me. Already boycotting smart phones and apps

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee