Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Health and Beauty > General Health

General Health Discuss any Health topics that don't quite fit into any other health forums.

Old 03-06-2011
Gunner

Default Bulgaros de Agua ( Water Kefir grains )

Apparently they originated from Mexico. Looking forward to finding some and making. Anyone have some to share?

Tibicos, also known as tibi, water kefir grains, sugar kefir grains, Japanese water crystals and California Bees, and in older literature also known as Bébées, African bees, Ale nuts, Australian bees, Balm of Gilead, Beer seeds, Beer plant, Bees, Ginger Beer plant, Ginger bees, Japanese Beer seeds and Vinegar bees[1] are a culture of bacteria and yeast held in a polysaccharide matrix created by the bacteria. As with kefir grains, the microbes present in tibicos act in symbiosis to maintain a stable culture. Tibicos can do this in many different sugary liquids, feeding off the sugar to produce lactic acid, alcohol (ethanol), and carbon dioxide gas which carbonates the drink.

Tibicos are found around the world, with no two cultures being exactly the same. Typical tibicos have a mix of Lactobacillus, Streptococcus, Pediococcus and Leuconostoc bacteria with yeasts from Saccharomyces, Candida, Kloeckera and possibly others. Lactobacillus brevis has been identified as the species responsible for the production of the polysaccharide (dextran) that forms the grains.[2][3] Pidoux (1989)[3] also identifies the sugary kefir grain with the ginger beer plant. There are certainly opportunistic bacteria taking advantage of this stable symbiotic relation which might be the reason for the many different names/distinction in the scientific literature. Different ingredients/hygienic conditions might also change the fungal and bacteriological composition leading to the different names. This has to be established by further research, however.

People who do not wish to consume dairy products may find that water kefir provides probiotics without the need for dairy or tea cultured products, like kombucha. Since the finished product, if bottled, will produce a carbonated beverage, it provides an alternative to sweet soda drinks for children and adults. (from wikipedia)

Last edited by Dissonant; 03-06-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2011
Gunner

Default Re: Bulgaros de Agua ( Water Kefir grains )

I found some.
Old 11-14-2011
Director

Where did you find some mang?
Old 11-14-2011
Gunner

Some gabacha hooked it up.All I did was pay the postage. You can find someone by posting here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kefir_making/ or craigslist. People be hustling with the Tibicos , especially the bulgaros ( de leche which are more popular) and they will charge you 5-15 dollars for a start up batch. Of course I would send you some but my cultures died out.

The end up product once you get it down right, is pretty good. I was drinking the stuff for about 2 months. This was during the winter and I felt a bit better stomach wise ,along with energy. I was taking it as a substitute for yogurt. I felt a cultured/fermented food was wise to implement in my diet. Thing about the tibicos they are more delicate than the bulgaros. After I stopped drinking the tibicos I read up on the bulgaros and supposedly the fermentation process gets rid of the lactose, so lactose intolerant people can drink it.

Now my bulgaros experience was better. I also stopped with that and might start up again. But the bulgaros is far easier to take care of than the tibicos. You can also make cream/ yogurt with the bulgaros. Once the whey separates from the curd you can use that to start sauerkraut or sour dough bread.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99999925500256

Last edited by Dissonant; 11-14-2011 at 10:50 AM.