Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Health and Beauty > General Health

General Health Discuss any Health topics that don't quite fit into any other health forums.

Old 01-20-2005
Veterano

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying what you were trying to say. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for needing me to lead you by the hand.

Nelio,

Quote:
i eat mostly meats and potatoes.
Vitamins supplements are a OK in your case, but you should really try and get more vegetables in your diet. BTW, potatoes are in fact a vegetable, so you like some vegetables.
I was never a huge fan of fruit or vegetables, but I want to be healthy and energetic.

here are some examples of where I've incorporated fruit and vegetables into my diet.

breakfast: 2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1 cup oatmeal (lots of fiber), 1 banana, scoop of natural peanut butter, add water and ice and blend.

breakfast 2: sautee mushrooms in pan with butter. Once a little cooked, add eggs for a delicious omelette. Salsa contains vegetables, but I'd eat that anyway.

I sometimes make scrambled eggs with spinach. I buy those frozen bags of spinach and nuke it in the microwave.

I add mixed vegetables to my tuna salad. Sometimes I add chopped apple to my tuna (trust me, it's good)

I eat green beans with my steak, or brocili

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 01-20-2005
deleted user [001]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
You shouldn't replace your fruits and veggies with pills. You should try your very best to consume more fruits/vegatables.
I do eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Not all of them are good for you because they have high sugar and starch that your body does not need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
I wonder how many people who take vitamins daily, have gotten professional advice from a nutritionist or doctor. I bet not many. Taking the wrong sets of vitamins can actually be unhealthy.
The vitamins I take were recommended to me by my doctor. You should never take something without consulting your doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
You have to know what you are taking and more importantly, you have to know whether your body needs it or not.
True. Listen to your body. I know when I am low on certain vitamins because I will crave something with a high amount of that nutrient like orange juice.

I have pretty much lost all of my junk food craving because I stay away from them. They are empty calories and fat.
Old 01-20-2005
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

well mushrooms i love, lol

but nukeing the stuff in the microwave, kinda defeats the purpose of eating healthy, if you think about it man.
Old 01-20-2005
Veterano

Quote:
well mushrooms i love, lol

but nukeing the stuff in the microwave, kinda defeats the purpose of eating healthy, if you think about it man.

I sautee fresh mushrooms in butter. It's frozen vegetables that I nuke because welll...they're frozen.

It's true that cooking vegetables does reduce some of the vitamins and minerals, but it's minimal.
I told you I dont like vegetables, so I have to start slow and if it means cooking to make it palatable, so be it.

Quote:
I do eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Not all of them are good for you because they have high sugar and starch that your body does not need.

This is true. bananas are a good example (which also happen to be one of my favorite fruits, go figure).
I'd still say it's better to eat a banana than jelly beans.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 01-20-2005
Presidente

*feeds linda some junk food*

lol!!!!!!!

yeah sauteed mushrooms with butter, or WINE!!! hell yeah!!

i use onions and garlic as well as peppers soemtimes when i coook, so i guess i get my small share of veggies.

but avocados, are good for you, but fatting as well. and ya know what? ME NO CARE. LOL.
Old 01-20-2005
Veterano

avocados are rich in fat, but it's the good unsaturated fat that most peoples diets lack, but the mayo I add to it, well thats another story...

Old 01-20-2005
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljano
avocados are rich in fat, but it's the good unsaturated fat that most peoples diets lack, but the mayo I add to it, well thats another story...
OR THE TORTILLAS AND CHEESE I ADD TO THEM, AND CANT FORGET THE SALT

but i thought they were high in protein?

and banana's are high in potasium, why they might be fattening, they are actually oe of the best fruits for you, so i have been told many times.
Old 01-20-2005
Travieso

The only time I took vitamins regularly was when I was pregnant. I took those bill a$$ horse pills the doctor gives you. My hair, nails and skin never looked better.
Old 01-20-2005
Veterano

Quote:
Avacados are rich in fat?!

Shocked

Well that sucks.

No, it's not bad. People have the misconception that eating dietary fat makes you fat, which is ridiculous.

That same logic would mean that eating chicken would turn you into a chicken.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...l?OpenDocument

Dietary fats
There are three types of fat: saturated, polyunsaturated and mono-unsaturated (these terms describe the type of chemical bonding between the atoms). Each type consists of fatty acids, which are chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms, in varying combinations. Both polyunsaturated and mono-unsaturated fats can lower blood cholesterol levels. Olive oil is a mono-unsaturated fat. Other foods containing mostly mono-unsaturated fats include avocado, canola oil and peanuts.

Weight loss benefits
Mono-unsaturated fats have the same kilojoule content as other fats (around 37kJ per gram); however, some research suggests that it may be more difficult to put on weight from mono-unsaturated fats.

Researchers compared the weight loss results from one group of people, following 'the Mediterranean diet', to another group who were sticking to low fat and high carbohydrate diets. They found that those following the Mediterranean diet shed excess pounds from both the upper and lower body, but the other group mainly lost fat from the lower body. People who store their body fat around the waist and abdomen ('apple shaped') have a higher risk of heart disease than those people who carry their weight at the hips and thighs ('pear shaped').

Old 01-03-2011
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero
Default Re: Vitamins

I don't eat much seafood, so I take Omega-3.
Old 01-03-2011
Gunner

Default Re: Vitamins

i am currently taking vitamins and other suppliments for my workouts. In total i take 9 pills a day hahaha

2 for vitamins http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033437

7 for lifting http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...29948&kwCatId=

As for the vitamins i do see a difference in not only my physical well being but in my mood and happiness. You can tell when vitamins work when your pee is super bright yellow! haha that is just a way of your system to flush out any unnecessary vitamins it doesn't need.

KoolFletcha if you are looking into uping your fruit or veggie intake you should look into these.
http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=4203126