Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 03-23-2012
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan
Default Re: education y nuestra raza

You should watch the Documentary Waiting For Superman

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 03-23-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
If you're pissed off with facebook, imagine how many people have that same feeling. Now imagine some of us exploiting that frustration to get new members on here especially educated or people trying to get an education.

We could write something like:
Facebook becoming too overwhelming? Too big for its own good? Taking all your personal information?
Why not go ol' school with more privacy, join soy chicano (with a link).

Or something in that context.
Good ideas. But that's another topic altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
Hey don't forget about me, I graduate in one year, and I am taking a lot of relevant courses, like social justice, social cultural influences on learning etc.
This is part of my point. I feel like I have general knowledge of Soy members in college/grad school/etc but many (including yourself) aren't around much on Soy. The trend seems to be people come, post for at most a week and then disappear for months if not longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Honestly, I don't see Soy as an source for wisdom and enlightening information (I don't think anyone does). Although I do see how it used to be, with all the informative threads and discussions, but most of it leads to shit talking and bullshitting anyways. People get on the defense and then it spirals out of control. Now all we do is bull shit. Most of us anyways. I believe part of the reason with the lack of contributing members has to do with the fact that none of us take Soy seriously anymore. People see that all we do is bullshit and banter with one another and are either too intimidated to post or feel like this site only has thread games to offer because that's what's on the front page. I was never a serious poster because frankly, I joined when I was really young; and well now, all Soy is, is a good laugh (at best).
All of what you've said here is definitely true, and personally I believe that's one of the many reason's Soy is deteriorating faster than we can manage. The internet is full of websites and games where all you do is bullshit for a laugh...there isn't real content to keep people coming back to Soy when thousands of more websites exist for the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanoDan View Post
You should watch the Documentary Waiting For Superman
I feel like I've heard of this film. What's it about?

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 03-23-2012
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

School systems and the mess they are.. Why they are that way ..

It's really good.. pretty damned sad..

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 03-23-2012
Maestro

I'm going to definitely go back and read each and every post, just to get a broader perspective on the issue. I was able to read the first page.

I'm so glad THIS thread was bumped.
I've been involved with a community youth program in my area for a few years now, and the program has just recently made education and grades part of a "points" program here. The kids have to bring us their report cards to receive points for camping trips, sports events, or whatever outing we may have scheduled for them. We've also given out gift cards. Now, before we started this, we just took all the kids regardless of how they were doing in school.

We would talk to some of the parents and most of them had concerns in how their children were doing in school. So, we had a volunteers meeting and talked about how we could somehow help. We got to talking and it turns out that we had more connections and resources to help these kids than we had imagined. It just took simple communication and awareness to realize it.

Now, when we implemented this idea of ours into action, the kids groaned and took it as punishment, but we had to quickly clarify that, that wasn't what this program was. We provided them with "study time" where they were given the opportunity to accumulate points. And with study time we provided them with tutors.
At first, we struggled, because the kids were so defiant. But we trudged forward and now...EVERY child that's involved with this youth program is passing every class.

When the kids realized that we were sticking to our guns about who was and wasn't going on the outings, they began to take their studies seriously. This points program made it fun and challenging for these kids to push themselves and others to do better.

So, what it boils down to, is: CARING and doing something about it. We, the adults, had to be reminded that this is a problem, and had to do something to try change it. Then, it took the commitment and want to, of each child to do better.

There's no black and white to the issue of this topic. There are so many reasons as to why education within "nuestra raza" is so unnecessary, unimportant...or even, unreachable to an individual.
We may not be able to help and save each and every child, but we have to figure out a way to make it available, affordable and doable for our kids to succeed.

Mind you...I have no REAL schooling under my belt, but dammit if I don't have a willingness to want to help change things.

Last edited by just tru; 03-23-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by just tru View Post
So, what it boils down to, is: CARING and doing something about it. We, the adults, had to be reminded that this is a problem, and had to do something to try change it. Then, it took the commitment and want to, of each child to do better.

There's no black and white to the issue of this topic. There are so many reasons as to why education within "nuestra raza" is so unnecessary, unimportant...or even, unreachable to an individual.
We may not be able to help and save each and every child, but we have to figure out a way to make it available, affordable and doable for our kids to succeed.

Mind you...I have no REAL schooling under my belt, but dammit if I don't have a willingness to want to help change things.
That's all it takes!

Tru, the program sounds amazing and something that many other programs should aspire to!

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 03-23-2012
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
That's all it takes!

Tru, the program sounds amazing and something that many other programs should aspire to!
The Southside Branch was established before we were, the Northside Branch, when the volunteers saw that we had successfully pulled off our plan, they too, wanted to be a part of it.
Now, we wait for the Eastside, Westside and Central Branch, to join in.
Old 09-09-2013
Estudiante

I have always disliked school I dropped out then decided to go back I ended up graduating a year late and just worked. Not til 3years ago did it hit me how valuable learning is so I went back to school. I'm getting my bachelors in criminal justice I plan on working that got afew years and I have my mind set on going into law school.

I'm the author of my life.*Unfortunately I'm wriiting in pen*and can't erase my mistakes.
Old 09-09-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
We weren't nerds

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 09-10-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_BrOwNiE View Post
Not til 3years ago did it hit me how valuable learning is so I went back to school. I'm getting my bachelors in criminal justice I plan on working that got afew years and I have my mind set on going into law school.
that's very good. Best of luck.
Old 09-10-2013
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
that's very good. Best of luck.
Thank you hun

I'm the author of my life.*Unfortunately I'm wriiting in pen*and can't erase my mistakes.