Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 07-20-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: White Supremacy Acquits Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
My question is, how can Zimmermann even pull off claiming the Stand Your Ground Law. From my understanding, Zimmermann called the police after observing Martin and it's been stated that police advised Zimmermann to stay in his car. Where he was 'safe' Zimmermann didn't listen and instead went armed with a gun to confront Martin. I would then assume that the Stand Your Ground Law is not applicable anymore because Zimmermann, through his actions, portrayed intent to cause harm

Then again that's what I've read in the media and we all know most of the media is biased and what not...
Because it was the 911 operators who "advised' him to stay in his car. And they are looking at 911 not being a authority on anything is what i have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
thats what I think anyone with common sense would think, but the law has nothing to do with common sense. I still have a hard time understanding how someone who is supposedly getting their ass kicked to the point where they're in fear for their life, can have time to draw a gun and shoot. What, was Martin taking a breather? Those pjx of his injuries are weak. He looks like he got into it with a girl.
Thats kind of been my thought process. How do you get beat so bad, or how long did you wait before pulling the gun Some have argued the validity because of the exact shot to the heart, that could have just been luck. But there is some weight to the thought process behind why the heart. Why not the gut or anywhere else? And like you said, how did he pull it and Martin not even do anything about it. And if they did struggle for the gun, how is it that Zimmerman won the gun but was losing the fight?
Old 07-20-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

Still. Zimmerman was in a safe place his car. And chose to walk towards 'harms way'. That alone should prohibit Zimmerman from being able to claim Stand Your Ground. I would think.
Old 07-21-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I've been meaning to get on this thread and reading some of the responses... just haven't had time... but i'm glad folks r sharing their opinions on the matter... hopefully the points raised in the initial article posted...

Also, race and class (along w/ other identifiers) always act together... however, whiteness and class have had their own ways of interacting throughout the history of the US.

I find it difficult to share my opinions, experiences, and, yes, expertise on the subject of racism in this country w/ folks who aren't ready to admit their own investments and promotions of racist attitudes and practices in their own lives... how a lot of folks benefit off the criminalization of certain people etc...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 07-21-2013
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaru View Post
Am I the only person who thinks Zimmerman doesn't actually, physically look white? Am I like, not supposed to say that or something? How does being suspicious of someone in the neighborbood and being attacked by them make one a white supremacist? This is really an interesting thing to think about seeing as how Zimmerman is not physically white.

It's almost like he's being considered legally white but is being treated with the suspicion of a non-white - which is exactly the tactic used to keep Hispanics (who are miscegenates) down before the civil rights era. Furthermore, I think all of the media coverage is bullshit and probably just a distraction from more important events that effect all of our rights and freedoms - like the whole WikiLeaks case.

Take out race and you have an unfortunately delinquent youth who attacked a middle class guy in his neighborhood and was tragically shot. The obsession with race is disgusting and the fact that people won't look at the actual events seems to prove that the US may no longer have a population fit to govern itself - not that our government isn't already on the job solving that issue, stockpiling ammo and deploying drones.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/c...odcast-history

They've done genetic tests and found that overwhelmingly the male chromosomes of miscegenated Hispanics come from the European line. (There's history for you.) If Zimmerman is "white" in court and a "white supremacist," how many Soy members will be forced to tolerate accusations of being illegal on the street but be demonized as a white supremacist in court should some unexpected, untoward event fall upon them at random? If Zimmerman is white, why isn't President Obama?
Trayvon attacked Zimmerman?

"You can give me some head but keep the breakfast in bed, I'd rather spend my morning digging through some records instead" - Devin the Dude. GOAT Pimp MC
Old 07-27-2013
Maestro

So the 30 year old, 200 pounds, armed guy inside his vehicle is claiming he feared for his death because of a skinny, unarmed, 160 pounds 17 year old wearing light slim jeans and trendy sneakers?

Thats a scary sight indeed.

If Zimmerman benefited from "white supremacy" ideology its probably not because people think he's white and would want to treat him as such; it's most probably because many people, especially those in the jury, somehow think a black teenager walking around in a white gated community is naturally suspicious and agree it is something to be scared of.

There have been interesting comments about specifically white women's fear or "the black men" dating back to slavery and continuing through segregation, when fears of rape from black slaves/men were widespread in white social imagination (it is a pretty common theme in the Americas and in European countries with an African colonial past).

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell (copied from the most honorable KA)
Old 07-27-2013
Mocoso

I've been following the facts of the case, got most from a debate on a more left wing forum and was debating with right wingers on a right wing one. I'm on the Trayvon team, still don't know about there being enough evidence to convict and the legality in Florida. I think the prosecution could've handled it better, didn't even have Zimmerman tell his story under oath, and there were some holes they could've picked. A problem I have is people talking shit about Trayvon, and the misconception that since Zimmerman was found not guilty that his story was found true in a court of law, he was just found not guilty, there's not enough evidence for the claims on the other side either.

Even if the shooting itself wasn't about race the reactions, the shit they circulated about Trayvon, the assumptions that have been made, that really shows us about racism in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Still. Zimmerman was in a safe place his car. And chose to walk towards 'harms way'. That alone should prohibit Zimmerman from being able to claim Stand Your Ground. I would think.
They didn't actually go by Stand Your Ground in the trial though.

Last edited by xicanachick; 07-31-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Consecutive Posts. Use the edit feature.
Old 07-28-2013
Chicle

R.I.P Trayvon Martin

I would've done the same thing if a weak fake rent-a-cop with no badge would've approached me.

Wether Trayvon was involved in those robberies or not (pretty sure he was cause what school boy can afford gold teeth) he deserved a fair trial.

― Plato (428 - 348 B.C.)

Last edited by G U C C I; 07-28-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by G U C C I View Post
R.I.P Trayvon Martin

I would've done the same thing if a weak fake rent-a-cop with no badge would've approached me.

Wether Trayvon was involved in those robberies or not (pretty sure he was cause what school boy can afford gold teeth) he deserved a fair trial.

I'm not saying the picture isn't real, but only places I see this image online is on conservative blogs.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 07-29-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
I'm not saying the picture isn't real, but only places I see this image online is on conservative blogs.
That one I think is real, the one with the kid in red pants flipping off the camera isn't, neither is the picture of The Game (I just lost) obviously.

I think that pic was on Snopes earlier as a real one, can't see it on there anymore, looks more like him though.
Old 07-29-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

You're talking about this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/martin.asp

The last picture of trayvon is the one at the very bottom which is 9 days before the shooting.

A lot of people look alike. If you compared me to Mexico's fattest man, you would think it's the same person.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 07-29-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2013
Veterano

I got my gold teeth on payments.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 07-29-2013
Veterano

Gucci is a probably a mere schoolboy himself, so I can cut him some slack. However, I'm confused about a couple of things with his statement. Are those 'gold' teeth that people wear actually made of real gold? And how does Treyvn having them mean he took part in robberies? Did they break into another black dudes house and steal his gold teeth? Or did they liquidate the shit they robbed and then Treyvon went out and purchased his own gold teef?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 07-29-2013
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
really?! Im serious.

@ Gucci.. thats the type of mentality that we can do without.

Like boxing people into fucking categories..or assuming shit.

shame on you for saying that.
=/ mam with all due respect i'm just going by the facts.
Trayon was a marijuana addict, why else would he try to grow weed, &
how can he afford it?? & How can a 17 yr old own a gun without it being stolen??
His own witness testifies to him being a pothead..

I know it sounds harsh but it's the truth, I myself know black teenagers from the 'burbs' not the 'ghetto' who suffer from this addiction & I go by what I SEE not what I HEAR.. I recommend you do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
Gucci is a probably a mere schoolboy himself, so I can cut him some slack. However, I'm confused about a couple of things with his statement. Are those 'gold' teeth that people wear actually made of real gold? And how does Treyvn having them mean he took part in robberies? Did they break into another black dudes house and steal his gold teeth? Or did they liquidate the shit they robbed and then Treyvon went out and purchased his own gold teef?
lol
I think you can answer that one on your own.

― Plato (428 - 348 B.C.)

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 07-29-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2013
Veterano

Quote:
how can he afford it?? & How can a 17 yr old own a gun without it being stolen??

I know it sounds harsh but it's the truth, I myself know black teenagers from the 'burbs' not the 'ghetto' who suffer from this addiction & I go by what I SEE not what I HEAR.. I recommend you do the same.
marijuana addiction? Are you serious?

Old 07-29-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
I feel like a broken record, but the imagines here I can only find on conservative blogs.

Old 07-30-2013
Presidente

Quote:

lol
I think you can answer that one on your own.
Marijuana addict? Never heard such a thing.

When i was 17 and 18 I knew people who had guns, some may have been stolen, but they didnt deal drugs. They got them cheap probably because they were stolen.

And any smoker would try to grow their own plants.
Old 07-30-2013
Chicle

^^^SMH you older generation are reallllyyyyy out the loop!
lol I would've loved to live back than cause by the looks of it you do NOOOOT know
what these kids are doing to get this high potent kush thats out there now.

― Plato (428 - 348 B.C.)

Last edited by G U C C I; 07-30-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2013
Veterano

Quote:
lol I would've loved to live back than cause by the looks of it you do NOOOOT know
what are they doing to get this high potent kush? Because I just simpy buy mine and its not so expensive I need to resort to robbing people and its not so potent, I've become a 'marijuana addict'.

Old 07-30-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
It's not that hard to grow and easy to obtain. I feel like weed was more obtainable in Northern California than Southern Cali. Not sure if it was bc of more open land or bc the hippie culture was more influential up there.

I remember in my college years (about 10 years ago), a roommate who got his weed almost raw and I asked him if I can have the seeds. I grew them the same way my parents did with any other plant and they grew well.

What I did dumb was put it out on the window seal. I think the glass made it extremely hot and dried it up quick. What I thought was funny was roommate tried to smoke it.

Old 07-30-2013
Presidente

Quote:
Out of the loop? Who do you think started "kush" Younger generation barely know how to wipe their ass, but can hack shit on the interwebs. But growing stuff? That requires a little bit of labor, which every newer generation lacks more and more.

"this" generation has/have/do a lot of shit JUST to get a high. Youtube is their documentary process.

example:
http://youtu.be/oilE8dPrK9o

Yeah, this generation......
Old 07-30-2013
Veterano

I'm pretty sure I'm smoking the same stuff the kids these days are smoking. I've been a medical marijuana patient here in California, since 2007.

Old 07-30-2013
Presidente

Actually your probably getting better. I am pretty sure the majority of kids are smoking low grade stuff unless they are very well off.
Old 07-30-2013
Veterano

Good kush aint really that pricey. Unless you're a marijuana addict like Treyvon. Then you have to turn to crime to support your addiction!
But an 1/8 of an ounce of Kush runs anywhere from $35-$50. Any youngster with an afterschool job and no real bills can afford that.

Old 07-30-2013
Presidente

I honestly can say I have only paid for bud once in my life so far. And that was when i was like 18 or so, it was a bday present for a friend and I got her an ounce. Was like $40-$60.

I'm not a heavy smoker though. An 1/8 probably last me a whole month. Back when I was younger someone always had it, or had a connect. Even then though, maybe 12 yrs ago or so it was going for about $60 an ounce. Wasn't kush though.
Old 07-30-2013
Veterano

You're lucky you didnt get addicted.