Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 07-14-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Default White Supremacy Acquits Zimmerman

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175260...#axzz2Z2bIQTWL

White Supremacy Acquits George Zimmerman
Aura Bogado on July 14, 2013 - 12:05 AM ET

Protesters protest the verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman
Demonstrators outside the Seminole County Courthouse react after hearing the verdict of “not guilty” in the trial of George Zimmerman in Sanford, Florida. (AP Photo/John Raoux)

A jury has found George Zimmerman not guilty of all charges in connection to death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. But while the verdict came as a surprise to some people, it makes perfect sense to others. This verdict is a crystal-clear illustration of the way white supremacy operates in America.

Throughout the trial, the media repeatedly referred to an “all-woman jury” in that Seminole County courtroom, adding that most of them were mothers. That is true—but so is that five of the six jurors were white, and that is profoundly significant for cases like this one. We also know that the lone juror of color was seen apparently wiping a tear during the prosecution’s rebuttal yesterday. But that tear didn’t ultimately convince her or the white people on that jury that Zimmerman was guilty of anything. Not guilty. Not after stalking, shooting and killing a black child, a child that the defense insultingly argued was “armed with concrete.”

In the last few days, Latinos in particular have spoken up again about Zimmerman’s race, and the “white Hispanic” label especially, largely responding to social media users and mass media pundits who employed the term. Watching Zimmerman in the defense seat, his sister in the courtroom, and his mother on the stand, one can’t deny the skin color that informs their experience. They are not white. Yet Zimmerman’s apparent ideology—one that is suspicious of black men in his neighborhood, the “assholes who always get away—” is one that adheres to white supremacy. It was replicated in the courtroom by his defense, whose team tore away at Rachel Jeantel, questioning the young woman as if she was taking a Jim Crow–era literacy test. A defense that, during closing, cited slave-owning rapist Thomas Jefferson, played an animation for the jury based on erroneous assumptions, made racially coded accusations about Trayvon Martin emerging “out of the darkness,” and had the audacity to compare the case of the killing of an unarmed black teenager to siblings arguing over which one stole a cookie.

When Zimmerman was acquitted today, it wasn’t because he’s a so-called white Hispanic. He’s not. It’s because he abides by the logic of white supremacy, and was supported by a defense team—and a swath of society—that supports the lingering idea that some black men must occasionally be killed with impunity in order to keep society-at-large safe.

Media on the left, right and center have been fanning the flames of fear-mongering, speculating that people—and black people especially—will take to the streets. That fear-mongering represents a deep white anxiety about black bodies on the streets, and echoes Zimmerman’s fears: that black bodies on the street pose a public threat. But the real violence in those speculations, regardless of whether they prove to be true, is that it silences black anxiety. The anxiety that black men feel every time they walk outside the door—and the anxiety their loved ones feel for them as well. That white anxiety serves to conceal the real public threat: that a black man is killed every twenty-eight hours by a cop or vigilante.

People will take to the streets, and with good reason. They’ll be there because they know that, yes, some people do always get away—and it tends to be those strapped with guns and the logic of white supremacy at their side.

The NAACP will seek the Department of Justice's intervention in the Zimmerman case. Read John Nichols's report.

Read more: White Supremacy Acquits George Zimmerman | The Nation http://www.thenation.com/blog/175260...#ixzz2Z3ikFi4T
Follow us: @thenation on Twitter | TheNationMagazine on Facebook

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon

Last edited by FreedomNow; 07-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2013
Veterano

Default Re: White Supremacy Acquits Zimmerman

hopefull the family can win a civil case against GZ. And he will get the OJ treatment, everywhere he goes.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 07-14-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

yeah....

i've been reading about the possibility of filing a case against the county and maybe the state of florida for their gun laws and lack of background checks...

Also, there was a case of zimmerman fleeing virginia to florida to runaway from a rape/molestation case against a cousin of his... here's link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1676729.html

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 07-14-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Not sure if you guys seen the Trayvon Martin's corpse pics:

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/07/tr...rge-zimmerman/

MSNBC removed those pics on their site.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 07-15-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
hopefull the family can win a civil case against GZ. And he will get the OJ treatment, everywhere he goes.
except I don't think Zimmerman is rich (correct me if I am wrong) so how much money can you get out of the guy?

I know money can't buy his life back, but in a civil case that's pretty much the whole point.
Old 07-15-2013
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Quote:
From a legal standpoint a civil case is almost next to impossible to come to fruition due to FL's stand your ground law.

In this case if a civil suit is filed, Zimmerbitch can request a hearing be held to blanket himself with this bullshit law. If he can prove that he was "standing his ground" then a civil case against will be found to have no legs to stand on.

He declined to have such a hearing preempting his criminal trial because at that point it would have been difficulty to prove he was standing his ground because the evidence you can prevent in such a hearing is very limited and the burden of proof is a little high. But now that the jury found him not guilty, the not guilty verdict serves as proof that he was "standing his ground" under this law making him protected under the law and will in essence void any claim to a civil trial under FL law.

The only hope of putting this garbage in jail is a Civil Rights violation charge being brought by the Federal Government. This could end up having more teeth then even a criminal verdict may have had... The problem is the govt may not feel the need or want to wade into these murky waters due to the same problems the prosecution had in the criminal case. A butt load of Circumstantial evidence and shaky eye witness accounts.. and of course a dead victim who is unable to speak for himself.

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan

Last edited by ChicanoDan; 07-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Plus Zimmerman's anti-Mexican comments from MySpace has surfaced as well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1471818.html

Old 07-15-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
except I don't think Zimmerman is rich (correct me if I am wrong) so how much money can you get out of the guy?

I know money can't buy his life back, but in a civil case that's pretty much the whole point.
I thought the point of a civil suit was just to ruin the person financially (no matter how rich they may or may not be).
But I aint no attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Plus Zimmerman's anti-Mexican comments from MySpace has surfaced as well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1471818.html
I read that stuff when I first started to read up on the case. Zimmerman is obviously a douche. Judging by all the weight he's gained, I would speculate he was wired on Adderall at the time of the shooting (pretty sure his medical records indicated he had a script for it at one point).
Its basically legal meth, and can lead people to being paranoid and aggressive.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 07-15-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I think one of the things that's pretty pathetic by people who are supporting the verdict and GZ is when they say... well, black people kill each other all the time, y care about this one?

like... oh... now u care about black on black violence? when people wanna talk about racism and how it works in the judicial system? ele oh ele!

Old 07-15-2013
Chicle

Send a message via MSN to Masaru

Am I the only person who thinks Zimmerman doesn't actually, physically look white? Am I like, not supposed to say that or something? How does being suspicious of someone in the neighborbood and being attacked by them make one a white supremacist? This is really an interesting thing to think about seeing as how Zimmerman is not physically white.

It's almost like he's being considered legally white but is being treated with the suspicion of a non-white - which is exactly the tactic used to keep Hispanics (who are miscegenates) down before the civil rights era. Furthermore, I think all of the media coverage is bullshit and probably just a distraction from more important events that effect all of our rights and freedoms - like the whole WikiLeaks case.

Take out race and you have an unfortunately delinquent youth who attacked a middle class guy in his neighborhood and was tragically shot. The obsession with race is disgusting and the fact that people won't look at the actual events seems to prove that the US may no longer have a population fit to govern itself - not that our government isn't already on the job solving that issue, stockpiling ammo and deploying drones.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/c...odcast-history

They've done genetic tests and found that overwhelmingly the male chromosomes of miscegenated Hispanics come from the European line. (There's history for you.) If Zimmerman is "white" in court and a "white supremacist," how many Soy members will be forced to tolerate accusations of being illegal on the street but be demonized as a white supremacist in court should some unexpected, untoward event fall upon them at random? If Zimmerman is white, why isn't President Obama?

Last edited by Masaru; 07-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

u know... not only white people uphold the logic/ideology of white supremacy...

white supremacy isn't just about people wearing pillow cases over their heads anymore...

and... hipsanics.... by the highly arbitrary US census, can b categorized as white... and live a white life...

also, all kindsa people can also uphold and maintain anti-black racism... happens throughout the world.

and lol @ delinquent youth... that's exactly why race permeates everything about this case...

that color-blind bullshit maintains this type of violence on the daily...

Old 07-15-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaru View Post
Take out race and you have an unfortunately delinquent youth who attacked a middle class guy in his neighborhood and was tragically shot.
i doesnt sound like you've paid too much attention to this case. And wtf is 'legally white'?

Old 07-15-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
I thought the point of a civil suit was just to ruin the person financially (no matter how rich they may or may not be).
But I aint no attorney.
When I think ruining someone financially, I think bankruptcy...I don't think it'll go that far. Suing and getting a few million from a rich celebrity is doable. But from someone who isn't well off, the most you will get is a few thousand.

At least I think that's how it works. I am no lawyer nor do I play one on tv, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
and... hipsanics.... by the highly arbitrary US census, can b categorized as white... and live a white life...
What does living a white life mean?
Old 07-15-2013
Veterano

white life= potato sack races, toasted cheese sandwiches, fingering your kin.

Old 07-15-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks Zimmerman doesn't actually, physically look white? Am I like, not supposed to say that or something? How does being suspicious of someone in the neighborbood and being attacked by them make one a white supremacist? This is really an interesting thing to think about seeing as how Zimmerman is not physically white.
Are you trying to "Hispanized" Zimmerman. Last time I checked, he has a white father (Robert Zimmerman) and being raised in a white neighborhood.

Quote:
Take out race and you have an unfortunately delinquent youth who attacked a middle class guy in his neighborhood and was tragically shot. The obsession with race is disgusting and the fact that people won't look at the actual events seems to prove that the US may no longer have a population fit to govern itself - not that our government isn't already on the job solving that issue, stockpiling ammo and deploying drones.
Have you paid attention to the news?

To sum up the incident Zimmerman was typical guy who couldn't get into the police department and so he was the main guy for the neighbor watch. Since there was a few break ins and so he was watching the neighborhood more with the neighborhood having fear in the air. He saw someone suspicious. Followed him and got up to him. As for the fighting part, I can't be 100%, but I'm assuming the typical thing happened, Zimmerman asked a dozen questions which Martin took as harassment. Martin runs and Zimmerman calls the non emergency line. Even though the dispatcher told him to not follow him, Zimmerman did otherwise fearing it would be like a previous incident. Florida is known for "Stand Your Ground" so he knew he could use his gun and shoot if he felt he was in danger. The man wanted to be a "hero" and it went wrong.

Quote:
They've done genetic tests and found that overwhelmingly the male chromosomes of miscegenated Hispanics come from the European line. (There's history for you.) If Zimmerman is "white" in court and a "white supremacist," how many Soy members will be forced to tolerate accusations of being illegal on the street but be demonized as a white supremacist in court should some unexpected, untoward event fall upon them at random? If Zimmerman is white, why isn't President Obama?
Zimmerman has a white father (Robert Zimmerman) so your whole paragraph is invalid.

Based on your logic, Obama would only be black since his male chromosome is of African decedent.

Old 07-15-2013
Veterano

tec, do you know anything about the crypto Jews of New Mexico? I read an article that said a pretty high percentage of Hispanics males there, tested for Jew Blood. Just curious since we're discussing Jewish Hispanics. I probably wouldnt get another chance like this again.

Old 07-15-2013
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Have you paid attention to the news?

To sum up the incident Zimmerman was typical guy who couldn't get into the police department and so he was the main guy for the neighbor watch. Since there was a few break ins and so he was watching the neighborhood more with the neighborhood having fear in the air. He saw someone suspicious. Followed him and got up to him. As for the fighting part, I can't be 100%, but I'm assuming the typical thing happened, Zimmerman asked a dozen questions which Martin took as harassment. Martin runs and Zimmerman calls the non emergency line. Even though the dispatcher told him to not follow him, Zimmerman did otherwise fearing it would be like a previous incident. Florida is known for "Stand Your Ground" so he knew he could use his gun and shoot if he felt he was in danger. The man wanted to be a "hero" and it went wrong.
From what I've read, Zimmerman called the police from his car when he saw Treyvon walking in the neighborhood, assumed he was a shady individual (apparently there had been recent break-ins in the neighborhood by suspects described as young black males) and it was only after the dispatcher told him to stay put and that they would send someone did he leave his car to confront Trayvon.

Saw this video on FB.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 07-16-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Oakland protests shut down a freeway.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...ontinue/nYrXY/

It's rather sad that a lot of young Latino and black males are killed in Oakland on a daily basis and people don't do anything. something happens out in Florida and they do this. I understand the logic behind this is to get Media attention, HOWEVER there are a lot of effective ways to start making a difference in Oakland communities without inconveniencing local residents during their commute, which have no control over the ways courts are run in Florida.

To me it's wasted energy. Although I love that this country allows us to freely express ourselves and stand up for what it is right. but in these instances and especially in ones where destruction of property happens, i can't help but think that it's all for nothing.

"Violence just hurts those who are already hurt...Instead of exposing the brutality of the oppressor, it justifies it."
Old 07-16-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
tec, do you know anything about the crypto Jews of New Mexico? I read an article that said a pretty high percentage of Hispanics males there, tested for Jew Blood. Just curious since we're discussing Jewish Hispanics. I probably wouldnt get another chance like this again.
This question is interesting because my dads mom's side as a lot of spanish jew blood in them. Guess there were a shit load of jews in spain for a while. And if i am not mistaken, there are a lot of Spanish descendents in NM since if memory serves me from my readings, when the spaniards were coming over from Spain they would send their people north to settle the "frontier".
Old 07-16-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
I have heard of Jews and other Europeans coming to the southwest and Mexico, but I was just sticking on topic by focusing on Zimmerman's background.

Besides, I thought there was a thread about what you're talking about here on soy. May have to search for it later.

Old 07-16-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
Oakland protests shut down a freeway.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...ontinue/nYrXY/

It's rather sad that a lot of young Latino and black males are killed in Oakland on a daily basis and people don't do anything. something happens out in Florida and they do this. I understand the logic behind this is to get Media attention
they're not protesting that someone died. Of course that happens everyday. But when someone follows a kid, instigates a confrontation and then shoots him, people probably think its a no-brainer that he should be charged with murder. People expect justice when a kid is shot for no reason and we know who did it. I was on Facebook Sunday night and a lot of dopey white people were citing less prominent news stories where a black guy killed some innocent white person. Oblivious to the fact, that if the black assailants were caught, they get charged with murder. Thats the obvious differnce that was lost on them.

Old 07-16-2013
Chicle

Quote:
Are you trying to "Hispanized" Zimmerman. Last time I checked, he has a white father (Robert Zimmerman) and being raised in a white neighborhood.
Does that make him racially white? Does it even make him ethnically an Anglo white American?

Quote:
Zimmerman has a white father (Robert Zimmerman) so your whole paragraph is invalid.

Based on your logic, Obama would only be black since his male chromosome is of African decedent.
I think there was a misunderstanding about this point.

The logic here is that if Zimmerman, a miscegenated American, can be accused of being the benefactor of white supremacy (which I really doubt is the case,) then likely so could most of the participants on this forum. Regarding Obama, though his father is black and the race of the child is traditionally determined by the father, he is still half white. Obama, Zimmerman, and likely the vast majority of us here are all miscegantes with some European ancestry. Does that mean we are the beneficiaries of white supremacy?

Quote:
But the question is 1) whether he broke the law of the state of Florida (which a jury determined he did not) and 2) was the killing racially motivated? Given that Martin attacked Zimmerman, there's no reason to assume that Zimmerman shot him over race. Apparently, Zimmerman shot him over being pinned down and punched in the face to the point he thought his life was in danger.

Unlike, say immigration issues, where we have people crossing illegally into the US but who are then rewarded by a large number of employers who are eager to benefit from their disadvantaged position in life and in our system, this is a pretty clear cut case of rule of law. Zimmerman followed the laws of his state, and those are the laws that the people's representatives chose and that the people wanted. For all we know, Martin is genetically as white as Zimmerman, and race doesn't appear to have affected the events except for in the way the media presents them. I don't doubt that Martin's family is angry, and possibly irrationally so: there's nothing that makes up for the loss of you own child.

Whether one or both of the people involved in the incident were foolish to have put themselves in the position they came to be in is another issue.

Last edited by Masaru; 07-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Given that Martin attacked Zimmerman, there's no reason to assume that Zimmerman shot him over race. Apparently, Zimmerman shot him over being pinned down and punched in the face to the point he thought his life was in danger.
I don't know how anyone could believe that thats how it went down. How does someone manage to get man handled to the point where he's being beat up by a teenager, but then manages to draw his gun and shoot them?

Quote:
For all we know, Martin is genetically as white as Zimmerman, and race doesn't appear to have affected the events except for in the way the media presents them.
I would laugh, but I assume you're being serious. "Race" is not an exact science. You pretty much just get treated as whatever you look like. What African American doesnt have some "white" ancestry? Probably none, but we don't think of the NBA as a bunch of white guys running around playing basketball. That's just retarded.

Last edited by KoolArrow; 07-16-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2013
Chicle

Quote:
I don't know how anyone could believe that thats how it went down. How does someone manage to get man handled to the point where he's being beat up by a teenager, but then manages to draw his gun and shoot them?
17 is around the physically prime for a young man. One more year and Martin would have been fit for military service. Or maybe Zimmerman was a wimp - but that's not the same as breaking the law or being a racist.

Last edited by Masaru; 07-16-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2013
Veterano

Quote:
17 is around the physically prime for a young man..
No its not. 35 year old me beats the shit out of 17 yr old me.

Quote:
Or maybe Zimmerman was a wimp - but that's not the same as breaking the law or being a racist.
He is no doubt a pussy.
And whats "against the law" or not, is not how humans get their morals and ethics. Thats for shady ass lawyers.
if you follow someone against the advice of law enforcement, you should forfeit any right to claim "self defense".

Last edited by KoolArrow; 07-16-2013 at 03:10 PM.