Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Exclamation Law Enforcement Racial Profiling....

Law Enforcement Racial Profiling is Illegal.

The authorities should not stop people via traffic stops because of the "color of their skin". They must have probable cause for their traffic stops in the first place (this excludes DUI type of safety check points).

If you know any Latino/Hispanic United States Citizen(s) who are victim(s) to racial profiling please let us know here. I will gather that information and get a Civil Rights Attorney on the case if those individual(s) need any help. I can help, and am confident there are others who will help, too.

It is discouraging to me (in light of the immigration debate) to hear that Latinos are being stopped by law enforcement officers due to racial profiling.

*Note to a moderator: Will you please make this a sticky thread for a small period of time?
Old 10-01-2007
Veterano

Default Re: Law Enforcement Racial Profiling....

I never understood the whole traffic stop/racial profiling thing. I think I need to read the actual statute to get a better understanding of it. They can always lie and pull you over for something else. I've been pulled over for all kinds of bogus crap and they always have some excuse. That whole racial profiling thing is nonsense and cannot be proven!

Bone Meter: 31

Shes a superfreak! Superfreak! Shes superfreaky...yeah!!!

'She put a spell on me!!"
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

A law enforcement officer cannot pull over individuals without probable cause.

For instance, some probable cause examples are when:
  1. A headlight is out at night.
  2. The turn signal lights on the car are not working.
  3. You have a cracked windshield if the State does not allow drivers to drive with cracked windshields.
  4. It is at night (2 a.m.) when bars close on Friday or Saturday and a person driving is weaving all over the road due to possible DUI.
  5. A driver blows a yield sign or stop sign.
  6. If a person fails to signal.
If a law enforcement officer pulls you over for no reason, and you suspect he pulled you over for being "brown" per se. TAKE THEIR ASSES TO COURT!
Old 10-01-2007
Veterano

I understand that but that is pretty broad dont you think deedee?
I mean say I am the cop and I see you in a car all hugging up on some black dude. I can pull you over and give you shit just because I dont like that and my excuse would be your tailight is out. What I am saying, I think racial profiling goes on and ever since that whole r.p. came to light it hasn't done shit. A racist cop can pull over a car of mexicans and has dozens of excuses he can use to warrant his actions.

Bone Meter: 31

Shes a superfreak! Superfreak! Shes superfreaky...yeah!!!

'She put a spell on me!!"
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to Wizdom

Day in and day out I see Colorado State Patrol bring in "immigrants" on traffic charges that are normally summonsable releases. Lately Colorado state patrol has been given a certain type of authority to place No Bond detainer's on these people. ( which I disagree with ) Even the "immigrants" that are brought in we have to run whats called a IAQ which is a query on CCIC/NCIC that sends a request to ICE to place detainers on people we "Suspect" are "illegal".

All I know is I dont like this activity. The other day ICE came to pick up this kid who was in on a Driving with no DL and No insurance and he was taken to the ICE facility and was afraid of being deported because he had been in the US since he was 9...
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samby View Post
Day in and day out I see Colorado State Patrol bring in "immigrants" on traffic charges that are normally summonsable releases. Lately Colorado state patrol has been given a certain type of authority to place No Bond detainer's on these people. ( which I disagree with ) Even the "immigrants" that are brought in we have to run whats called a IAQ which is a query on CCIC/NCIC that sends a request to ICE to place detainers on people we "Suspect" are "illegal".

All I know is I dont like this activity. The other day ICE came to pick up this kid who was in on a Driving with no DL and No insurance and he was taken to the ICE facility and was afraid of being deported because he had been in the US since he was 9...

I think what is going to have to happen is to find out how many Latino Citizens are being pulled over without cause and/or for racial profiling. That's key.....we need to organize and report law enforcement authorities if they are involved in racial profiling.

I have worked with racist law enforcement officers......and eventually they will get caught.

Last edited by DeeDee; 10-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Given the fact that "immigrants" are racially profiled I can also tell you first hand as a law enforcement officer that Hispanic/Latino citizens are targeted as well. Here is a bit of a tip. for starters. Check your local traffic courts and see how many cases are disputed and taken to trial on the defense of an illegal stop.
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Check your local traffic courts and see how many cases are disputed and taken to trial on the defense of an illegal stop.
Can you clarify a bit? Please?
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
Can you clarify a bit? Please?
uh oh! I smell a subpoena!
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanAmerican View Post
That's easy... none, or very few.

This is why the police keeps doing what they are doing, and it is because the public doesn't do anything about it. The public believes it's a waste of time to file "citizen complaint" forms against an officer, but in reality, it is not.
Well it depends on where your from. I can tell you that with my access to civil, criminal, juvy, and domestic cases I have seen alot of petty traffic crimes returnable to court. Also The amount of FTA traffic warrants out there for no seatbelt is stupid crazy. We release more and more cases like this to civil judgment for fines and costs.

We are given business cards for a reason but are never asked for one by a Citizen who has an issue. Your right officers complaints are filed and held to record for a period of four years.
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Quote:
uh oh! I smell a subpoena!

Not at all. Unless of course you pulled someone over for racial profiling.

Quote:
Yes, officers can only pull you over with a probable cause (e.i. moving violation or a violation on your vehicle). The only problem is that they will pull you over without any probable cause, and make one up for you.
And this is how it catches up to the racist law enforcement officer........

When you have just a few people complaining about the SAME officer for racial profiling via complaints.......that is how we do a full investigation on that specific officer via filing a type of law suit. The trick is to get organized....and if we have to do it through here for starters, then so be it (until a larger firm wants to take over the ops).

I know a few Latino lawyers who should help.....we just need to get our act together to get started, and organized. Once we put a Police Officer in the spotlight for probable racial profiling traffic stops....it's pretty much over for that person in the way of getting promoted. In addition to lawsuits......we report them to Internal Affairs (IA), and other organizations. We continue to use media on all racial profiling cases that we see are on the rise.

I think we can all do it with a little bit of effort across the board on this forum, and I can bring in a few people that are brilliant in this type of fight. The fight against law enforcement who are involved in racial profiling in light of the immigration situation.

Last edited by DeeDee; 10-01-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanAmerican View Post
Most of the public believe it's a waste of time, since most of the time no wrong doing in the officers part was found.
This is precisely why we lost the immigration debate. I suppose if we remind people why we lost......maybe they will wake up and take action. We need to tackle "racial profiling".
Old 10-02-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Funny thing was I had a friend who did security training and one of things in the material they had to learn was racial profiling. I thought it was funny, but fucked up if you think about it.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 10-02-2007
forealzchola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
Law Enforcement Racial Profiling is Illegal.

The authorities should not stop people via traffic stops because of the "color of their skin". They must have probable cause for their traffic stops in the first place (this excludes DUI type of safety check points).

If you know any Latino/Hispanic United States Citizen(s) who are victim(s) to racial profiling please let us know here. I will gather that information and get a Civil Rights Attorney on the case if those individual(s) need any help. I can help, and am confident there are others who will help, too.

It is discouraging to me (in light of the immigration debate) to hear that Latinos are being stopped by law enforcement officers due to racial profiling.

*Note to a moderator: Will you please make this a sticky thread for a small period of time?
yea that is really horrible i here of this sort of thing all the time recently taking place in the latino community because of all the immigration stuff going on ...as my bf lives in southern california..but i live in northern california and this is rarely ever heard of it..but it is surely racial profiling..and now its happening to latinos as much as it happens to black males in america now...
Old 10-02-2007
Maestro

Racial profiling has not increased in LA against people deemed to be from south of the border.
The majority of profiling in LA seems to be cultural, geared towards those of the gang culture or those that mimic it.

The function of the law is not to provide justice or to preserve freedom. The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power. ~Gerry Spence
Old 10-02-2007
coyotesnack

My brother, a bail bonds agent and his wife, an attorney, were driving a rental car through Montana, on their way to some convention or something. He had the cruise control set about 3 miles over the limit.

First a black suburban tailed them for a few miles, then a squad car finally pulled them over. Turns out that they were looking for mulas the drug runners that transport drugs to the cities.

They argued, he accused them of profiling, but they did not get a ticket or anything.....of course they did bring in the dog to sniff the car and then let them go. That's b/s.....

Last edited by coyotesnack; 10-02-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2007
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

a cop came to a driving class i was taking and he said that if they really wanted to stop somebody they could just follow them for a while and they person would do something wrong eventually cuz they would get nervous....
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 10-02-2007
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Samby, how can u be a cop in this day and age? (I ask this as a serious question)

and by this I mean don't u feel a sense of guilt for what u see happen @ ur jale?

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 10-02-2007
Maestro

Probable cause played in to it. Maybe the majority of people they have arrested have been driving rental cars and posing as husband and wife.

I assume no ticket was given because the probable cause stop wasn't for something that can be ticketed.

Would I have cared if that happened to me, naw. I am an outsider and in a place like Montana this is noticed right away and checked out.

The function of the law is not to provide justice or to preserve freedom. The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power. ~Gerry Spence
Old 10-02-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt View Post
a cop came to a driving class i was taking and he said that if they really wanted to stop somebody they could just follow them for a while and they person would do something wrong eventually cuz they would get nervous....
That would work on the weak minded. Best bet is just to pull in to some place and park.
All they really need is a vague description of a criminal that fits you and (BAM!) probable cause.

Old 10-02-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt View Post
Care to give me that Law Enforcement officer's name? Also, what driving school he attended and gave instruction.....and whatever other pertinent info you have would be wonderful.
Old 10-02-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
Samby, how can u be a cop in this day and age? (I ask this as a serious question)

and by this I mean don't u feel a sense of guilt for what u see happen @ ur jale?
I understand your ?. To tell you the truth....I dont know how I do it. At first it was good to go and had a mission, well many for that matter. One, to be the first in my family in law enforcement, Two, to hopefully help change the outlook on what cops should be, three, to have an impact on Chicanos and how we are treated by la juera. All of this has become very overwhelming and at times I want to throw in and give it up. But I soon realize that nothing will ever change unless some of us have the strength to stick with it and fight for whats right. its kinda like the convo above about complaints.....Citizens complain and bitch but never do anything about it. Well the same applies with this, except I decided to fight it from within.

Guilt?

I cant feel guilty for what another does. But I do feel sorry for their stupid asses. I have seen alot of crookedness in the jail by deputies, and on the streets. It sickens me to the point of depression on the stuff I see and experience. I then have to compare on a scale the type of element and crookedness of both sides. Sometimes they are not very far apart.

Tonight for example while working Book-in A man in a wheel chair came in and was paralyzed on one side. He was brought in on a half way house violation. Well I had to assist him in changing him out in a jail uniform....I felt pretty bad about his situation and noticed tattoos on his arm like "I love to eat pussy" and on his hand that read " please sit on my face bitch" I thought WTF! and he was a cool guy and so I paid no more attention.......until I went to book him in and fingerprint him and saw his history.......SAC x13 (Sexual assault on a child 13 times) sex assault on elderly, and the list goes on and on. immediately my attitude changed towards him, not mean, but short....Then he says to me "you saw my history huh" and I said "ya" and he said it was alright he is used to that type of reaction. All I could think was was a piece of shit. He needs to be locked up. But I still had a job to do..Anyway I'm off topic big time. but ya, thats my feelings about it all.
Old 10-02-2007
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
I remember once my sister was coming from UP north(she dint have texas plates( to TExas.. the Mapita stopped her on 281 a little bit passed Falfurias..and wanted to search her car ..she told them no..took the keys and locked the door..and stood her ground..when she told them they had no probable cause..They were asking her if she was taking criminal justice classes, and if she thought she was all smart...They let her go...after the k9 smelled the outside of her car....anyways..thats the only time anything related to this has happend ..oh and one time i threw the cigarette butt outside the window and the police was behind me..she was a female and of course had a worse attitude than a male..one but i practically asked for that..so it dont count..
There was a racist fckng cop who patrols out here and he stopped Guero awhile back and asked if he could search Guero's truck .. another cop who stopped on the scene told Guero straight up that he could refuse, but in the end they'd do it anyway, and he'd be arrested in the meantime!! He had nothing to hide, so he was like "WTF just do it already" .. he didn't ask for all that bullshit lecture!!

If it has tires or testicles,
it's gonna give you problems
Old 10-03-2007
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
I understand your ?. To tell you the truth....I dont know how I do it. At first it was good to go and had a mission, well many for that matter. One, to be the first in my family in law enforcement, Two, to hopefully help change the outlook on what cops should be, three, to have an impact on Chicanos and how we are treated by la juera. All of this has become very overwhelming and at times I want to throw in and give it up. But I soon realize that nothing will ever change unless some of us have the strength to stick with it and fight for whats right. its kinda like the convo above about complaints.....Citizens complain and bitch but never do anything about it. Well the same applies with this, except I decided to fight it from within.

Guilt?

I cant feel guilty for what another does. But I do feel sorry for their stupid asses. I have seen alot of crookedness in the jail by deputies, and on the streets. It sickens me to the point of depression on the stuff I see and experience. I then have to compare on a scale the type of element and crookedness of both sides. Sometimes they are not very far apart.

Tonight for example while working Book-in A man in a wheel chair came in and was paralyzed on one side. He was brought in on a half way house violation. Well I had to assist him in changing him out in a jail uniform....I felt pretty bad about his situation and noticed tattoos on his arm like "I love to eat pussy" and on his hand that read " please sit on my face bitch" I thought WTF! and he was a cool guy and so I paid no more attention.......until I went to book him in and fingerprint him and saw his history.......SAC x13 (Sexual assault on a child 13 times) sex assault on elderly, and the list goes on and on. immediately my attitude changed towards him, not mean, but short....Then he says to me "you saw my history huh" and I said "ya" and he said it was alright he is used to that type of reaction. All I could think was was a piece of shit. He needs to be locked up. But I still had a job to do..Anyway I'm off topic big time. but ya, thats my feelings about it all.
Thanks for ur sincere answer man... I'm glad u didn't take my questions offensively.

I'm sure it must be tough to stay fair when u deal w/ people like that w/ those types of people.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 10-03-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without."

Quote:
Always wanted to make a movie like that. Usually, they make the good guys and bad guys so obvious, but in real life it's so different.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez