Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Cooking, Food, Drinks > Restaurants

Restaurants Anything about restaurants

View Poll Results: do you guys tip the majority of the time?
yes 53 86.89%
no 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2006
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer
Default Re: do you tip?

I almost always tip, and generally it’s about 20-25%.
Old 10-04-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
I almost always tip, and generally it’s about 20-25%.
Dude, that is way too high. You are going to make the rest of us penny pinchers look bad!

Samuel Adams
Old 10-04-2006
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow
I dont think you can call it a "misconception" when the majority feel that a generous tip is commensurate with satisfactory service. I'd say that even most people working in food service feel this way.
Thats why waiters and waitresses work hard to keep customers happy. They know that above average service yields above average tips (as a rule).

You're right about it being their livlihood, so they should take their job serious if they want to make a living at it. It's just common sense.

Everyone has "bad days" at work and if someone consistently performs poorly at their job, they get canned. A "bad day" should never be taken out on a customer and if it is, a service worker should expect to see that reflected in their tip (or lack thereof).

Poor tipping is very impolite?

Well, so is shitty service.

it's called gratuity for a reason. No one is obligated to tip, so service workers should (and I think most do) know this and act accordingly.

It is a misconception, like I said, a BIG misconception, as far as etiquette goes. Just because the majority think it isn't improper manners to leave less than half tax doesn't mean that the majority is correct. Especially if you are eating at a restaurant with company and that engagement is made in a professional capacity, regardless of the service you receive it is a poor reflection of you if you leave a poor tip, because this is considered to be bad manners. I'm not saying you can't do it, obviously you can or else they would just include the tip. I'm speaking from the standpoint of etiquette.
Old 10-04-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPinche
id get a dollar and rip it in half... and leave one half of a dollar...
Hell naw thats a total wate of a WHOLE dollar lol
Old 10-04-2006
Maestro

Yeah if they give really good service and bust their ass.... they get a good tip. If they are funny and cool people... they get a better tip. If they suck and the service sucked, I will stiff them.

Hell i dont care, im the one paying and its my money. i DONT HAVE to tip the server, its an option. I worked at a restaurant and know how the waiters work off tips and all so i try and tip well. However if they just suck, why tip them? its my sign to them that they did a horrible job and the next time i come in, they better serve me well if they want to make their tip.
Old 10-04-2006
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to LatinKing Send a message via Yahoo to LatinKing

Quote:
Just curious how you managed to have six dollars without having a single dollar
I asked myself the same thing

I always tip $2

Last edited by LatinKing; 10-04-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochitaLoquita
It is a misconception, like I said, a BIG misconception, as far as etiquette goes. Just because the majority think it isn't improper manners to leave less than half tax doesn't mean that the majority is correct. Especially if you are eating at a restaurant with company and that engagement is made in a professional capacity, regardless of the service you receive it is a poor reflection of you if you leave a poor tip, because this is considered to be bad manners. I'm not saying you can't do it, obviously you can or else they would just include the tip. I'm speaking from the standpoint of etiquette.
Thank you, Ms. Manners.

I'll really take that into consideration next time I get shitty service.
If I'm tempted to not reach into my pockets and leave the requisite tip, I'll take pause and consider how it's going to reflect on me.

I mean anything as to not tarnish my tipping reputation, right?

ANd I didnt say that the majority thought it was acceptable to leave less than half the tax as a tip. I said that the majority feel a tip should reflect the kind of service ones receives.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee

Last edited by KoolArrow; 10-04-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochitaLoquita
If that's the case, the servers need to practice etiquette, too, which means they need to provide proper service.

I'll also give you an example of a business situation in which we did NOT tip the server because he did NOT deserve it. We took a big group of college students to a restaurant, and the server was extremely rude to us. To make a long story short, he had a serious attitude problem and called one of my students a bitch in front of everyone.

If I go by what you're suggesting, I suppose that guy still deserved a tip, correct? The fact that we didn't leave a tip in this case must have also reflected poorly on us, right?
Old 10-04-2006
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchosataro
However if they just suck, why tip them? its my sign to them that they did a horrible job and the next time i come in, they better serve me well if they want to make their tip.
They might just put some "special" sauce in your food too!
Old 10-04-2006
Maestro

LMAO ^^^ i know huh like in prison I heard if the cook dont like u they put all kinds of nasty shit in ur food
Old 10-04-2006
Travieso

Well to be 100% honest I disagree with the whole institution of tipping as a means of wages for a person, I really feel that it should be included in the bill. If 15% is mandatory or necessary for that person to earn any money, then it shouldn't be subject to the whim of the consumer. Obviously servers do try to practice proper etiquette as the result of this system, but there are always exceptions, and there are also those cheap people (not saying y'all) who will look for any little thing just to justify them not leaving a tip.
Technically you are supposed to complain to the manager if the service was bad, but you're not actually supposed to leave a tip less than standard . Of course if a waiter is completely out of line like the case that Professora described above, then no one is going to even notice the fact that tipping etiquette wasn't followed as normal because the situation was completely outrageous, and it would reflect more poorly on the server in that situation. Anyway I just know what I have already stated above, and I can't really answer too many specific questions about tipping etiquette because contrary to KoolArrow's belief, I'm not Miss Manners Here is an interesting article from the real Miss Manners: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Nov6.html
Old 10-04-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanAmerican
I always tip on great service. I even tip a waiter when the service wasn't as great, but my tip isn't as great either.

I remember on a Friday night being in a bar with a bunch of co-workers, I opened my tab like I usually do. Everytime I was at the bar the bartender would always take his sweet time, and of course he would head to the ladies, even though I've been waiting there longer than them. So at the end when I closed my tab, I put a big line on the tip section. He (the bartender) actually had the balls to tell me, "no fucken tip, man?" So, I replied, "why should I tip you for doing your job?", then I just walked away.

I always tip, but don't expect a tip from me when you make me wait and provide me with shity service.

i wouldve had a nice smart ass comment for yo ass...

on another note... i tip as much as i can... if i cant afford 15% i leave what i can... i usually treat my waitresses/waiters with respect and try to make em laugh and shit... they seem to appreciate that... this weekend i went out to breakfast at some small joint in marina del rey... the lady was so lively.... first thing i asked was... how she was doing??? she jumped back like no one had ever asked that before.... she said thank u for asking...

but yeah, it s fucked up that folks live off the tips.... some have to share and in some places it s really what their livelihood depends on...

read barbara ehreinrich's book, NICKEL AND DIMED!

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon

Last edited by FreedomNow; 10-04-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2006
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to SA_Imelda_896 Send a message via MSN to SA_Imelda_896

we only had a one dollar bill and a five. I thought leaving only a dollar,even though she probably deserved it, was not enough. because i know that most servers rely on tip money to pay their bills. Therefore we left her 6 dollars. and becasue my fiance is in the resteraunt business he didnt want it to look bad on him and plus if we had left her a poor tip she would've thought she had the right idea about us
Old 10-04-2006
Prospect

Hell yeah, every time, unless the server (not waitress/waiter) dose a bad job. Many people look at serving as a bad thing, as a low-class job. So for those people, Know your information, being a server is a profession, a career. Servers make BANK! But they work very hard for each and every penny they get. Most don't even get checks every week. Their tips are their checks. That’s how they go on getting by. I’m a college student at the time, and work in a restaurant, at one point I was serving tables, so I'm telling you from experience. So next time you go eat to a restaurant, try and put yourself in their position, and tip appropriately.

These are the "appropriate" gratuity countity:
For a regular restaurant: ei: Denny's, Olive Garden, Applebee’s:
$2 per head plus anything the server might have done extra

Fine dinning: A steakhouse or 5star restaurants:
$10 per head, plus anything the server might have done extra.

Buffets were servers serve drinks:
$1 per head

Buffets were you server yourself everything
$2 per 4-top table
Old 10-04-2006
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_arriero
Dude, that is way too high. You are going to make the rest of us penny pinchers look bad!
It’s usually closer to 20%, especially if it’s a high bill. But I know the servers kick some of their tips down to the busboys and other help, so why not?

Where I get confused is tipping bartenders. How much do u give if it’s just a $6 drink? I mean if it’s a tab, you can tip whatever percentage you want (here I usually wont go over 15%) but what about if you buy your drinks at the bar? Do u give a buck each time?
Old 10-04-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Where I get confused is tipping bartenders. How much do u give if it’s just a $6 drink? I mean if it’s a tab, you can tip whatever percentage you want (here I usually wont go over 15%) but what about if you buy your drinks at the bar? Do u give a buck each time?

I usually go with a dollar per drink.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 10-05-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

i thought it said a dollar per pink... i was like damn, u must be going to tj

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 10-05-2006
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes

That's how much I tip the bartender. If I keep an open tab, then I tip double tax. Unless they were really cool with me or gave me free drinks, then I tip a little more.
Old 10-05-2006
Mocoso

Send a message via Yahoo to eSa.whizper:.

I USUSLLY TIP ACCORDING TO THE SERVICE I GET OR HOW MUCH CHANGE I GOT IM MY WALLET... ..J/K ABOUT THE CHANGE
Old 10-05-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Just curious how you managed to have six dollars without having a single dollar
x2..

I always tip.. if I go to like a taqueria or something.. I'll always leave $2-3 but if it truly sucks.. (the service) i'll leave $1.. but if I go to like Olive Garden, TGIF or something like that.. no less than $10... *wonders*

Last edited by KaryLaPrincesa; 10-05-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-05-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojitos619
I don’t tip big or at all if the following happen:

· Take more then 20-30 to bring my drink

20-30 minutes? or seconds??

Old 10-05-2006
Veterano

Quote:
You got me... Seconds.

If im the customer and if im paying I better get some good service.

You're sooooo high maintenance, it's not even funny.

Old 10-05-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to MrPinche

i dunno, ive gotten some real good service in tj tacerias... and some crappy food in nice resteraunts.... you are high maintenance... ive seen your posts...
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too..." white stripes
Old 10-05-2006
Maestro

Quote:
You got me... Seconds.

If im the customer and if im paying I better get some good service.
Come on, girl--you need your drink within 30 seconds?

They're bartenders, not magicians.
Old 10-05-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Thats not high maintenance, thats expecting what your paying for.

Unless they advertise that they'll have your drinks within 30 seconds of ordering them, I don't think anyone, but a high maintenance female would have such expectations.

And you ARE definately high maintenance if even MrPinche has noticed.