Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 08-16-2006
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa
Default Re: India Maria: Positive or Negative Stereo type?

there used to be a show on univision on friday nites....ay maria que punteria....
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 08-16-2006
Maestro

" LOS RUDOS LOS RUDOS LOS RUUUUUUUDOS!!!" The announcer was crazy!!! Rudos were the bad guys, los Tecnicos was the good ones. I always found AAA wrestling WAYYY better then like WWF and stuff. I mean where else are you going to see two midgets wrestling in costume?
Old 03-03-2010
Gunner

Default La India Maria

Do you guys think this movie ( or t.v series?) is racist? I got it from the library to pick up on the Spanish and didn't even get half way. Of course the popular media in Mexico and other first nations people is not in their control.

Basically it's about Maria who is "Indian". She can't properly speak spanish, is not educated,has rude manners and drinks alcohol.

I say it's the same as this and let that sink in if you don't get it

and this goes along with the video above

Last edited by Dissonant; 03-03-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2010
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default Re: La India Maria

i think the topic of india maria being 'racist' has been discussed before. i'll have to do a search

::EDIT::
here...
http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19966

and a bit more here...
http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9257

Last edited by SJ; 03-03-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2010
Gunner

Tec is going to get off off of merging 2 of them when the other should in the cultural issues.
Old 03-04-2010
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

id do it myself but i haven't check your videos, it could very well deserve its own thread

But just by going with what you said, i don't see how it's different.
Old 03-04-2010
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

//Topic Merged

I think these two should be together.

Yes, it's racist, but is this racist image a positive stereo type or a native one?

We know she is trying to depict being Mazahua. You can tell by the clothing.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 03-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2010
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to cKofer Send a message via Yahoo to cKofer

id tap that...
Old 03-04-2010
Banned User
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Is la India Maria is a positive or negative stereo type of natives in Mexico? Just wondering on people's thoughts.
I shall file this under the who gives a shit section
Old 03-04-2010
Mocoso

Quote:
//Topic Merged

Yes, it's racist, but is this racist image a positive stereo type or a native one?

I'd say that it's both. It's positive in the sense that she's the protagonist in story that always seems to prevail. It's negative in the sense that it portrays her as an ignorant individual. When someone refers to you as an Indio/India in a derogatory manner, most people are going to know that they're calling you ignorant.
Old 03-04-2010
Banned User
Veterano

Instead of calling some indio in a negative way I just say:
pinche espanolito de pacotilla
Old 03-04-2010
Gunner

Quote:
//Topic Merged

If you know its racist then why ask if it's positive or negative. When something is racist, I don't think it can be positive. That is why maybe your question should be in the cultural or identity forum. And maybe you could rename my thread Racism against Indigenous people. There is a docile complacent attitude which allows for the racism to exist. We should be asking why isn't there positive television shows with all native actors and actresses??I remember watching family matters growing up and that was a African family. Was a comedy but touched upon real life situations from life here in the states etc I remember enjoying that show.(especially because of Laura she was hot) And connecting with it more since they weren't white.

I'll quote this for the people who aren't going to read the first page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Actually, if knowledge is absent than we can say ignorance is present. In other words, “unknowledgeable” means “to be ignorant of.” So, the fact that natives are ignorant of some things and knowledgeable about others only reinforces my belief that they are not so different than anyone else; for we are all ignorant and we are all knowledgeable.

Last edited by Dissonant; 03-04-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2010
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
If you know its racist then why ask if it's positive or negative. When something is racist, I don't think it can be positive. That is why maybe your question should be in the cultural or identity forum. And maybe you could rename my thread Racism against Indigenous people. There is a docile complacent attitude which allows for the racism to exist. We should be asking why isn't there positive television shows with all native actors and actresses??I remember watching family matters growing up and that was a African family. Was a comedy but touched upon real life situations from life here in the states etc I remember enjoying that show.(especially because of Laura she was hot) And connecting with it more since they weren't white.
Racism is a prejudice of people who belong to other races. I'm not sure if it necessarily has to be a negative view. I've heard a number of co-workers state that "Mexicans are some hard working people" or "Mexicans are so family oriented". These are stereotypes/generalizations. They’re positive.
Old 03-05-2010
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
I remember watching family matters growing up and that was a African family. Was a comedy but touched upon real life situations from life here in the states etc I remember enjoying that show.(especially because of Laura she was hot) And connecting with it more since they weren't white.

I'm sure there were other reasons you connected with this particular show.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 03-06-2010
Chicle

Location: Ubamari, cercas de Michilia territorio Tepehuano/Mexicano

This is a great question Tecpaocelotl.
Old 03-07-2010
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
I'm sure there were other reasons you connected with this particular show.

yup
Old 03-11-2010
Mocoso

lol @ those who didnt know who la india maria was/is.

she portrays the poor, rural social class in mexico. that explains her ignorance with alot of things, especially urban things because shes from a pueblo. in fact, the jokes and comedy are often linked with her not knowing her place around in the cities.

even the way she speaks spanish is funny because she speaks it with a heavy "ranchero" accent that is common in many rural areas in mexico. people from the cities dont have those type of accents.
Old 03-11-2010
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavi View Post
lol @ those who didnt know who la india maria was/is.
Whats so funny about that?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 03-11-2010
Mocoso

India maria is a composite of various perceptions that certain sectors of Mexican society have of rural indigenous people. I haven't personally met one of my own (here I strictly indicate P'urhepecha) that consider her character "positive." As a matter of fact once while speaking to a well known Tata of my people at a restaurant her image is displayed in a commercial from which he begins to rant about how she made money off of portraying our people in a negative light, but what has she given back to us?

For many of you the way "india" maria is dressed is strange, but it is very similar (although different) to traditional dress worn with pride by many p'urhepecha women.
Old 03-11-2010
Director

The only way La India Maria could be seen as positive IMHO by depicting the existence of Native people in mainstream Mexican culture. Beyond that, I see her character as blatantly racist.

While many from Mexico (Xavi included) seem to think that she merely depicts "the poor, rural social class in Mexico", I disagree. I mean, her name says it all. She's not La Humilde Maria or Maria del Rancho, she's La India Maria.
Old 03-11-2010
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

People need to calm down and laugh. Those movies make me laugh, I enjoy it. I got a couple of her movies on VHS...
Old 03-11-2010
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Californio View Post
The only way La India Maria could be seen as positive IMHO by depicting the existence of Native people in mainstream Mexican culture. Beyond that, I see her character as blatantly racist.

While many from Mexico (Xavi included) seem to think that she merely depicts "the poor, rural social class in Mexico", I disagree. I mean, her name says it all. She's not La Humilde Maria or Maria del Rancho, she's La India Maria.
you're right, the fact that she's indigenous is a huge factor. the description i gave should have said "poor, rural, and indigenous social class in Mexico". those types of communities in Mexico are not the same as normal rural communities lets say in Jalisco, Michoacan or Guerrero for example.

people seem to get all bent out of shape, but the truth is that its not all that abnormal in mexico
Old 03-12-2010
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

And you seem to think because it is NOT ABNORMAL it is okay. You live in the city, so your mr, what? Sophisticated? Yoiur better then anyone living rural life? ha. Go suck on your skinny pants and tight shirts.

I have never seen the show, but just going off of what the people here have said.
Old 03-12-2010
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
And you seem to think because it is NOT ABNORMAL it is okay. You live in the city, so your mr, what? Sophisticated? Yoiur better then anyone living rural life? ha. Go suck on your skinny pants and tight shirts.

I have never seen the show, but just going off of what the people here have said.
abnormal in the sense that alot of people in Mexico watching those movies dont think twice about some of the issues that are raised here. the question of if it is a positive or negative stereotype doesnt cross the minds of most (in Mexico) probably because that's actually reality. the ignorance that is portrayed is not very uncommon since many of those indigenous communities are really behind in my ways. so yes, there is a huge difference between city and rural folk just as there is a huge difference between city and indigenous rural. that's just the way things are. people in Mexico know that and that's why india maria's movies are popular, becuase its portraying the adventures of an indigenous woman's through an environment she is unfamiliar with (city).

I suggest you actually visiit the country for a period of time and watch the movies before you open your mouth. You have no idea what youre talking about. you're just as clueless as a typical gringo.
Old 03-12-2010
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

I believe you should kind of shut the fuck up with your suggestions. But thats just a suggestion as well.

I bet you think because one doesnt continue schooling they are automatically dumb, right?
But i digress, i dont have to visit the country, or watch the shows to comment, since i can and HAVE read the statements in this thread. SO i can base an argument or point of view on it anyways. SO back to, SHUTTING THE FUCK UP with your silly suggestions.