Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 06-04-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default India Maria: Positive or Negative Stereo type?

Is la India Maria is a positive or negative stereo type of natives in Mexico? Just wondering on people's thoughts.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 06-04-2006
Mocoso

Default Re: India Maria: Positive or Negative Stereo type?

Is she the equivalent of stepem and fetchem?
Old 06-04-2006
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to lonelyloca

well i dont know cuz sometimes she does bring up how ignorant natives in mexico can be when it comes to some stuff but then again she brings up their agility when it comes to some things...

SOY's ORIGINAL LONELYLOCA!
Old 06-04-2006
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyloca
well i dont know cuz sometimes she does bring up how ignorant natives in mexico can be when it comes to some stuff but then again she brings up their agility when it comes to some things...
dumb.........

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 06-04-2006
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
How ignorant natives can be in Mexico? That is one of the dumbest fucking statements i have read. Just because someone doesnt know about something doesnt make them ignorant, it makes them unknowledgable.

If i were to ask you about something around the world, would you not be ignorant on the things?

Anyways, i have no idea who India Maria is. But that was just a stupid statment to make.
Old 06-04-2006
Veterano

LOL Nelio - I agree with you.....it makes them unknowledgable - not in the know - but it doesnt mean they are ignorant - altho the definition of ignorant is lacking in knowledge, it has a certain "put downess" to it.

But again - I dont know who India Maria is either.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 06-04-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I been wanting to write about something like this for some time, but always forget until Friday when I went into a Mexican store and saw the whole collection of movies for sell. These past few years, I been wondering if she's a negative stereo type bc she plays the Mexican mentality of what an indian acts like or is it positive bc it shows that there are indians in Mexico. I always saw it as entertainment comedy as a child. I guess I'll give as much info there is about this.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Mar%C3%ADa

Translation:

Maria Elena Velasco, better known by her character the India Maria. She is an actress of movies and quite popular Mexican comedian. Little it is known about its personal life.

The India Maria (Maria Nicolasa Cross) is a Mexican native peasant. His clothing resembles a lot to that of a woman mazahua, but the ethnic group to which belongs varies according to the different movies. As most of the Mexican natives, Maria lives in the poverty, but tries to be happy with the little thing that has. She is a happy and ingenious woman, honest, self-assured and noble. By its poor and native condition often is segregated, underestimated and humiliated by the circles elitist. Often it is found with people that try to be taking advantage of their good faith and of their ignorance on the life in the city.

A characteristic of her is the way to speak the Spanish, language that does not dominate to the perfection. Generally it is a protagonist of absurd situations, and she has been performed as a luchadora, bullfighter, motorcyclist, political or wealthy lady. Her ingenuity always come to her aid to do well of difficult situations.

In their movies they try to reflect various vices of the Mexico of ends of the 20th century, like the racism, the poverty, the discrimination of kind, the delicuencia and the bureaucratic corruption. The India Maria, on the contrary, embodies the virtues of the honesty, the generosity and the work, as well as also the in the country Mexican traditional life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueritaconpica
Is she the equivalent of stepem and fetchem?
I guess bc the guy who did siempre en domingo (old tv show)'s sister played her and he claimed criollo blood and was upset with his sister for playing an indian.

Quote:
Practically what she says is what the movies (and tv show) are about.

The tv show is called ¡Ay Maria que punteria!

Anyway, here is some pics of her:

Her as a maid.

One of the movie covers.

Her Posing.

Every time I see her clothes, I remember in one novela about this upper class family who take in this blind girl and the woman who hated her was going to give her a native style dress (what I don't like is people don't understand that most native in Mexico like to wear bright colors) anyway, she was trying to trick her that the dress she bought was a beatiful one (bright colors) and the blind girls bf gets mad at the lady and throws the dress and tell her that she was trying to give her an ugly dress.

Old 06-04-2006
Veterano

Well, all I have to go on, is what is presented above.

But, if she embodies all those good qualities - then that is a good thing.
That she is underestimated is good.

But, that she is not respected.......but again, look who does not respect her - the wealthy, the so called educated, the materialistic......hmmmmm

The fact that she is someone people are supposed to laugh at, is not good. But again, she seems to always land on her feet - no matter what.
I'm gonna check out her movies.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 06-04-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela
Well, all I have to go on, is what is presented above.

But, if she embodies all those good qualities - then that is a good thing.
That she is underestimated is good.

But, that she is not respected.......but again, look who does not respect her - the wealthy, the so called educated, the materialistic......hmmmmm

The fact that she is someone people are supposed to laugh at, is not good. But again, she seems to always land on her feet - no matter what.
I'm gonna check out her movies.
She's clumsy at times in the movies.

A good movie to watch is Ni de aqui, ni de alla (A title which I believe best describes me. LOL.). That movie is about her coming to the US bc this rich family wants her to be the maid and she tries to assimiliate to American Life, but she can't since she still hasn't assimiliated to be "Mexican". The one scene that reminds me of my mom is the part where she's trying to learn how to say Cheese Hamburger (My mom when she first came to this country could only say in English was Cheese Hamburger when she went to resturants. Of course this movie was made in 1988 so it's way after my mom came to this country.).

I still can't believe you haven't seen these movies.

Old 06-04-2006
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

ive seen them...hmmm i was wondering what you guys thought about it too...
i think its kinda negative...i mean it makes ppl laugh but only because she repressents the clumsy india that everybody refers to when they want to make deregatory remarks about people.....

kinda the same as cantinflas...

plus there are really no other repressentations of indegenous people on tv...
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 06-04-2006
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

I asked Linda about this, she was telling me that yeah in a way it does shine them in a bad light, but that then again it always makes her the hero. Being the hero is good.
But it is also comedy but a comedy where she always comes out on top, i guess it can not be to bad, i suppose.

Nothing like the dumb Indian they use when tryign to hunt Bugs Bunny. But they also make Elmer Fudd a white man look stupid, hmmm.....
She told me about one called TANTO TANTO PERO NO TONTA. I seen that movie before, well i saw the cassette, i never actually watched it. My homies mom had it and when she died and we were moving stuff around i saw the movie, i wonder what he did with it.
Old 06-05-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt
plus there are really no other repressentations of indegenous people on tv...
There is, but stereo types.

Old 06-06-2006
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer

Actually, if knowledge is absent than we can say ignorance is present. In other words, “unknowledgeable” means “to be ignorant of.” So, the fact that natives are ignorant of some things and knowledgeable about others only reinforces my belief that they are not so different than anyone else; for we are all ignorant and we are all knowledgeable.
Old 06-06-2006
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
There is, but stereo types.
i have never really seen a positive stereotype of an indegenous person...i guess i have seen posive stereotypes of what the Aztecs were like but people do not really ahve positive sterotypes of indegenous people today...i guess i cant really just dismiss la india maria...she does have some good points....
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 07-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

So is she negative bc she's the stereo type or is she positive bc she wins at the end?

Old 07-18-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to MrPinche

its positive because it makes me laugh... sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves..
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too..." white stripes
Old 08-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Here's a clip of the India Maria on a tv show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4324brJgxJQ

Old 08-16-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
She's clumsy at times in the movies.

A good movie to watch is Ni de aqui, ni de alla (A title which I believe best describes me. LOL.). That movie is about her coming to the US bc this rich family wants her to be the maid and she tries to assimiliate to American Life, but she can't since she still hasn't assimiliated to be "Mexican". The one scene that reminds me of my mom is the part where she's trying to learn how to say Cheese Hamburger (My mom when she first came to this country could only say in English was Cheese Hamburger when she went to resturants. Of course this movie was made in 1988 so it's way after my mom came to this country.).

I still can't believe you haven't seen these movies.

LOL OH man i cant believe some people here dont know who La India Maria is. MY GOD i grew up watching her Movies. "Ni de Aqui, di ne alla' CLASSIC!!!! LOL when i first read the thread tittle the first thing that came to mind was her trying to pronounce cheese Hamburger....DAMN!!!

anywho, No i dont think its a negative stereotype at all. The Character she protrays is that of a native stepping out of what she knows and experiencing new things. In reality she is portraying the truth. For those of us who's parents came from Mexico, do you think they knew how to say Cheese Hamburger when they first came here? NO!! Our parents can totally relate to her adventures of discovering new things because they did it too. We lived it and did it, she just protrayed it on screen.
Old 08-16-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

She is a VERY POSITIVE role model because she speaks up for herself and others in her loud mouth way and is not afraid of the powers that be even though she is both indigenous and from the countryside. Plus, she is very funny. I watched them as a kid, but I can appreciate them more now.

Samuel Adams
Old 08-16-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchosataro
LOL OH man i cant believe some people here dont know who La India Maria is. MY GOD i grew up watching her Movies.

A lot of us didnt grow up watching Spanish programming. I don't think its that unusual.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 08-16-2006
Maestro

lol.. i loved watching las peliculas de La India Maria y de Capulina.. and I concur with sanchosataro.. how about when she would say "cofi donas"
Old 08-16-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

Actually we grew up in the SF Valley in L.A. and although we had channel 34, we also had a local movie theater that played Mexican movies in Spanish.

Samuel Adams
Old 08-16-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow
A lot of us didnt grow up watching Spanish programming. I don't think its that unusual.
True you make a good point. Here in Southern Cali we have a few spanish programming channels, more now. Back then there was still a few. I guess out in other places access to spanish television and movies is limited.
Old 08-16-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchosataro
True you make a good point. Here in Southern Cali we have a few spanish programming channels, more now. Back then there was still a few. I guess out in other places access to spanish television and movies is limited.

Nah, I grew up in the Southern Cali too. I just don't speak Spanish, so watching Spanish programming never appealed to me, with the exception of Lucha Libre on channel 34. I didnt really need to understand the commentators to know what was going on.

LA RUDO!!!!!!!!!

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 08-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

I mostly seen the movies in Mexico.