Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 02-25-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Cameron Russell on White Priviledge

http://youtu.be/Re53vgaVFvI

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 02-25-2013
Veterano

Default Re: Cameron Russell on White Priviledge

Good presentation, but not really about white privilege. More about being a hot white chick.
But with the emphasis really on her being a hot chick, who has the added benefit of being "white". At least thats what I took from it.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee

Last edited by KoolArrow; 02-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2013
Mocoso

You'll want to change your title, since less than half the video was actually on the topic of white privilege and instead answering questions related to her line of work.

That said, it does grind my gears how pervasive the idea that 'white is right' is. Whenever I hear of a minority not being happy with how they look, putting European features on a pedestal, or only dating whites with the mindset that they've won some trophy, it makes me wonder what in the hell is going on in their minds, since I was just as influenced by the messages growing up, but instead fought against them. Gisele Bundchen is far from 'ugly', but she does little for me in terms of physical preferences.

I know there are a few white feminists who like to think of themselves as forward-thinking, but not often is the subject really discussed. Anything related to race, ethnicity, colonialism is seen as less important, divisive, even, when the focus *should* be on issues affecting all women as a whole. It happens in the queer community, too, proving that being white is a huge advantage even among disadvantaged groups.

How do you know if you're privileged? When you either can't see it, deny it, or try to shift the focus whenever it's brought up. It's easy to say, 'Oh, that's their problem' when you could easily ignore the issue, but to hear that you're a *part* of it usually makes most people very uncomfortable.

At least it's being talked about.
Old 02-26-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by niaV View Post
You'll want to change your title, since less than half the video was actually on the topic of white privilege and instead answering questions related to her line of work.
If you can find me a title that isn't too long that the title gets "..." at the end, I'm all ears.

My opinion is at least she knows. I get tired when I hear certain people, say they worked hard. Yes, you worked hard, but what you're born with is also an advantage.

I know someone whose bf is white and acts like he worked hard. He makes 6 figures. Anyway, she says he worked hard for where he is. He didn't have a good job background, but went to a place to get the job. Guy grew up in a nice family. I ask her, did he grew up with the privilege to eat meat every day? Does he go to a job interview and the first question asked by the interviewer is if he's legal to work? When he goes to fly, is he "randomly" picked for a random search? When he applies for a passport, does he get it right away or does he get a letter asking for more proof of who he is?

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 02-26-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:

That said, it does grind my gears how pervasive the idea that 'white is right' is. Whenever I hear of a minority not being happy with how they look, putting European features on a pedestal, or only dating whites with the mindset that they've won some trophy, it makes me wonder what in the hell is going on in their minds, since I was just as influenced by the messages growing up, but instead fought against them. Gisele Bundchen is far from 'ugly', but she does little for me in terms of physical preferences.

I know there are a few white feminists who like to think of themselves as forward-thinking, but not often is the subject really discussed. Anything related to race, ethnicity, colonialism is seen as less important, divisive, even, when the focus *should* be on issues affecting all women as a whole. It happens in the queer community, too, proving that being white is a huge advantage even among disadvantaged groups.

How do you know if you're privileged? When you either can't see it, deny it, or try to shift the focus whenever it's brought up. It's easy to say, 'Oh, that's their problem' when you could easily ignore the issue, but to hear that you're a *part* of it usually makes most people very uncomfortable.

I completely agree. My roommate and I had a conversation about this because she just kept saying things like oh she's so pretty she's so white, as if white equaled beauty automatically. I have a reading from a Chicana feminism book, that explains how native Mexicans started valuing white, but that is a different topic. White Privilege is a Mexican thing.

However, this video is not as much on white privilege it is more on body image and media photoshop. I am using this on body image curriculum where I work.

Here is a video on White Privilege:

Here is the whole video:

He has many videos, all about race, he is amazing!

Old 02-26-2013
Mocoso

Quote:

I've seen that with some "anarchists" too, usually goes along with manarchism but two different types of privilege. Of course that's not all Anarchists just like it's not all Feminists or Queer folk but activists of all stripes have some among their ranks that refuse to check their privilege, not to mention non-activist communities
Old 02-26-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
White Privilege is a Mexican thing.
I have noticed that the more Mexican people are, the more they tend to value whiteness.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 02-27-2013
Mocoso

Almost forgot: you know you have white privilege when you can speak of white privilege and be listened to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
If you can find me a title that isn't too long that the title gets "..." at the end, I'm all ears.

My opinion is at least she knows. I get tired when I hear certain people, say they worked hard. Yes, you worked hard, but what you're born with is also an advantage.

I know someone whose bf is white and acts like he worked hard. He makes 6 figures. Anyway, she says he worked hard for where he is. He didn't have a good job background, but went to a place to get the job. Guy grew up in a nice family. I ask her, did he grew up with the privilege to eat meat every day? Does he go to a job interview and the first question asked by the interviewer is if he's legal to work? When he goes to fly, is he "randomly" picked for a random search? When he applies for a passport, does he get it right away or does he get a letter asking for more proof of who he is?
I think most white people know it at some level, unless they grew up in a bubble. Now, whether they'll admit it to themselves and others is an entirely different story. She and others who are aware would have my total respect if they were on the front line fighting against racism and discrimination towards non-whites.

And, not to go off topic, but I think most people are privileged in some way or another. I was born a healthy male, raised in a middle class environment in a first world nation. Any one of those reasons alone puts me ahead of millions in this contest.

Quote:
I completely agree. My roommate and I had a conversation about this because she just kept saying things like oh she's so pretty she's so white, as if white equaled beauty automatically. I have a reading from a Chicana feminism book, that explains how native Mexicans started valuing white, but that is a different topic. White Privilege is a Mexican thing.

However, this video is not as much on white privilege it is more on body image and media photoshop. I am using this on body image curriculum where I work.

Here is a video on White Privilege:

Here is the whole video:

He has many videos, all about race, he is amazing!
He knows his history, I'll give him that, and manages to put a smile on the viewer's face. Anyway, I should probably mention that I've done very little research on Chicana feminism, although it's an area I've been curious of for months, now.

But yes, it's ridiculous what some people have said. I've had acquaintances in high school, dark, 'inditos', claim to have direct lineage from Spain or France, as if it happened in the last two generations. Then, I have a light-skinned cousin who loves to play her European ancestry up: she's mentioned Italian, French, and German backgrounds when her father was only something like 1/4 German.

I do notice certain light-skinned Mexican-Americans who can easily 'pass' take on a more patronizing tone with others who might not be so passable, while becoming extra chummy with their Anglo counterparts. I'm not speaking of Mexicans of 'pure' or majority European ancestry (I think it's stupid in their case, too), but of simply those who have features who might distinguish them from other Mexican-Americans who have more 'stereotypical' features. They may not be 'white' in technical terms, but they're taking advantage of some form of white privilege this way. Have you heard the term 'mejorando la raza'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlanelolli View Post
I've seen that with some "anarchists" too, usually goes along with manarchism but two different types of privilege. Of course that's not all Anarchists just like it's not all Feminists or Queer folk but activists of all stripes have some among their ranks that refuse to check their privilege, not to mention non-activist communities
It's not easy to acknowledge that you're a part of a bigger issue, that you're contributing to a systematic and brutal system of oppression. Simple thoughts and words alone form the 'glue' that keeps everyone in their place. Again, I'll admit to having bias when it comes to ethnicity and race, and sometimes classism, but changing my way of thinking has been a lot harder and time-consuming than acknowledging these prejudices.

It's hard to imagine a world where there ISN'T some form of hierarchy.
Old 02-28-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:

He knows his history, I'll give him that, and manages to put a smile on the viewer's face. Anyway, I should probably mention that I've done very little research on Chicana feminism, although it's an area I've been curious of for months, now.

But yes, it's ridiculous what some people have said. I've had acquaintances in high school, dark, 'inditos', claim to have direct lineage from Spain or France, as if it happened in the last two generations. Then, I have a light-skinned cousin who loves to play her European ancestry up: she's mentioned Italian, French, and German backgrounds when her father was only something like 1/4 German.

I do notice certain light-skinned Mexican-Americans who can easily 'pass' take on a more patronizing tone with others who might not be so passable, while becoming extra chummy with their Anglo counterparts. I'm not speaking of Mexicans of 'pure' or majority European ancestry (I think it's stupid in their case, too), but of simply those who have features who might distinguish them from other Mexican-Americans who have more 'stereotypical' features. They may not be 'white' in technical terms, but they're taking advantage of some form of white privilege this way. Have you heard the term 'mejorando la raza'?
Yes, I have heard the term mejorando la raza, from people in my life. One cousin was proud of her brother (9years old!) for 'dating' a white girl, se trata de mejorar la raza she said. My sister has gotten it rough, because she is dating a black guy and she's been told que no va a mejorar la raza. That term is very, very offensive, because it highlights the value of whiteness and then it implies that our 'race' needs to be bettered.

I am dark hispanic and so is my boyfriend, his family has always given him shit for being dark, so much that he has told me he wishes he were lighter. In any case we have been told we are going to have dark babies. So what? They will be educated dark babies that are proud of who they are.

Uggh all this makes me so angry, to touch on the topic of privilege, I agree, most of us have privilege, I was born into a stable two parent household, and I am able bodied. I am also Christian (Catholic?) So I know that the nation celebrates most holidays valuable to me.

Finally I love that Tim Wise not only knows his history but understands how it affects the nation.

Old 02-28-2013
Veterano

Quote:
I am dark hispanic and so is my boyfriend, his family has always given him shit for being dark, so much that he has told me he wishes he were lighter. In any case we have been told we are going to have dark babies. So what? They will be educated dark babies that are proud of who they are.
You don't look that dark in your pics.

I don't really understand any of it, because I guess I'm a bit too "Americanized" to really get it.
But I have seen it with some of my more Chuy friends. A girl I know said she had wished (in a wishing well) for a blonde haired, blue eyed man to come along and take care of her and the kid she had when she was 16.
It really made me sick. Not because I wanted to be with her or anything, but because of the obvious self-hate. Its disgusting.

Maybe you can explain why Mexicans value whiteness so much.

Old 02-28-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
You don't look that dark in your pics.

I don't really understand any of it, because I guess I'm a bit too "Americanized" to really get it.
But I have seen it with some of my more Chuy friends. A girl I know said she had wished (in a wishing well) for a blonde haired, blue eyed man to come along and take care of her and the kid she had when she was 16.
It really made me sick. Not because I wanted to be with her or anything, but because of the obvious self-hate. Its disgusting.

Maybe you can explain why Mexicans value whiteness so much.
I am definitely darker than I am lighter, but not that dark either, perhaps I should post a more accurate picture, lol. I don't mean to look lighter on purpose or anything.

I am currently looking for the article that addresses whiteness in the mexican culture in my chicana feminism book. I will probably make it a separate thread though, and link it through here, because I think it is related to but different from white privilege as experienced in America.

Old 02-28-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Yes, I have heard the term mejorando la raza, from people in my life. One cousin was proud of her brother (9years old!) for 'dating' a white girl, se trata de mejorar la raza she said. My sister has gotten it rough, because she is dating a black guy and she's been told que no va a mejorar la raza. That term is very, very offensive, because it highlights the value of whiteness and then it implies that our 'race' needs to be bettered.

Uggh all this makes me so angry, to touch on the topic of privilege, I agree, most of us have privilege, I was born into a stable two parent household, and I am able bodied. I am also Christian (Catholic?) So I know that the nation celebrates most holidays valuable to me.

Finally I love that Tim Wise not only knows his history but understands how it affects the nation.
I don't think my family has ever given me a hard time for my skin color, since both my parents are somewhat tanned (mother is more 'reddish' and father is more 'yellowish'; I inherited my undertones from her), and only my youngest brother can be considered a 'guero'.

Personally, my skin is one of the few things I like about myself, and I've gotten many compliments on it, in addition to my hair, eyes, and body type. Anyone who wants to shame me for something so small is going to find themselves fumbling with their words.

The whole 'black is beautiful' movement makes me wonder if we'll ever have a similar awakening. I mean, look at the history of African slaves and see how resilient they've become since. What we lack is unity, even between Mexican-Americans. Too much classism, regionalism, sexism, and ethnocentrism. Plenty of Salvadoran, Puerto Rican, and Cuban-Americans have also expressed their thoughts on being marginalized, so... maybe it's time for a change. We have a common enemy, and a common goal.

Heh, I think one of the few things that attracts me to Filipinos, Indians, and southern Europeans is their skin. We're in luck, since tanned skin is *very* common, from North America to Europe to Asia and the Pacific Islands.