Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 06-10-2011
Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to Butterfly_Princess
Question Undocumented Immigrant Rape Victims ‘Should Be Afraid To Come Forward’

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...mmigrant-rape/

Massachusetts Republican: Undocumented Immigrant Rape Victims ‘Should Be Afraid To Come Forward’
By Marie Diamond on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Massachusetts GOP state Rep. Ryan Fattman has such contempt for illegal immigrants that he believes undocumented women who are raped should be afraid to go to the police. Yesterday, the Worcester Telegram & Gazette reported on Fattman’s incendiary comments, which he made while defending a controversial federal immigration program that many say will damage the relationship between law enforcement and immigrant communities. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) has refused to join the program out of concern that immigrants who are victims of violent crimes will be afraid to report them and seek help:

Mr. Fattman dismissed concerns of some law enforcement officials — cited by the governor — who said using local police to enforce immigration laws could discourage reporting of crime by victims who are illegal immigrants.

Asked if he would be concerned that a woman without legal immigration status was raped and beaten as she walked down the street might be afraid to report the crime to police, Mr. Fattman said he was not worried about those implications.

“My thought is that if someone is here illegally, they should be afraid to come forward,” Mr. Fattman said. “If you do it the right way, you don’t have to be concerned about these things,” he said referring to obtaining legal immigration status.

Instead of helping rape victims, the new federal program would have police turn them directly over to the federal government to be deported. Fattman believes that’s exactly what should happen:

Mr. Fattman acknowledged that people could be deported after an arrest even if they are not convicted of a crime, under the program in use in more than 30 states.

While citizens have the right to be viewed as innocent until found guilty in court, he said, “I don’t think that principle extends to illegal immigrants.” He said he had no concerns about racial profiling by police.

According to Fattman, deporting undocumented immigrants who have not committed a crime is more important than deterring violent crime or helping rape victims. “Innocent until proven guilty” isn’t the only principle he doesn’t think should apply to illegal immigrants — apparently basic human decency is only a luxury American citizens should enjoy. Fattman is such a radical that he believes American-born children of illegal immigrants should be deported with their parents, which would be in direct violation of the 14th Amendment.

(HT: Right Wing Watch)

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 06-11-2011
Travieso

Default Re: Undocumented Immigrant Rape Victims ‘Should Be Afraid To Come Forward’

I'd like to take him into a SuperMax Prison and get him raped and see how he feels then! Pinche gabacho :/
Old 06-12-2011
Fresh Meat!

Default Re: Undocumented Immigrant Rape Victims ‘Should Be Afraid To Come Forward’

It makes me sad that were in 2011 and were still dealing with people like this?
Old 06-12-2011
Chicle

i invite you tu kiss my dick Ryan Fattman, you shoudln't be afraid to come
Old 01-24-2013
Mocoso

Unfortunately citizen rape victims are afraid to come forward as well, and those that do deal with more bullshit from the police and the attorneys and usually don't even make it to court
Old 01-28-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Word.

This is just another example of how non-white folks have historically been made to be inherently violable. Like they can always get literally or figuratively fucked b/c they are susceptible to the desires of europeans/european values.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 01-29-2013
Maestro

: l
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL SALSA View Post
well i guess i'm one of you now
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
Hillsboro fag!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL SALSA View Post
...how the fuck did you know i was from hillsboro?
Old 01-29-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
Word.

This is just another example of how non-white folks have historically been made to be inherently violable. Like they can always get literally or figuratively fucked b/c they are susceptible to the desires of europeans/european values.
Race is involved in rape to an extent but it's a huge problem for communities of all different races and economic means, obviously a poor Inuit or Congolese is far more likely to get raped but it also happens with disturbing frequency in white suburbia
Old 01-30-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Of course it does. But those logics of power and white male supremacy r at play everywhere.

Just like people of color can and do uphold white supremacy....and benefit off that shit.

Rape is about hating women and power. We as men should stand up to that shit.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 01-30-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly_Princess View Post
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...mmigrant-rape/

Massachusetts Republican: Undocumented Immigrant Rape Victims ‘Should Be Afraid To Come Forward’
By Marie Diamond on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Massachusetts GOP state Rep. Ryan Fattman has such contempt for illegal immigrants that he believes undocumented women who are raped should be afraid to go to the police. Yesterday, the Worcester Telegram & Gazette reported on Fattman’s incendiary comments, which he made while defending a controversial federal immigration program that many say will damage the relationship between law enforcement and immigrant communities. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) has refused to join the program out of concern that immigrants who are victims of violent crimes will be afraid to report them and seek help:

Mr. Fattman dismissed concerns of some law enforcement officials — cited by the governor — who said using local police to enforce immigration laws could discourage reporting of crime by victims who are illegal immigrants.
I think that it is true that this will damage the relationship between law enforcement and communities, the relationship is already not very good.

Quote:
Asked if he would be concerned that a woman without legal immigration status was raped and beaten as she walked down the street might be afraid to report the crime to police, Mr. Fattman said he was not worried about those implications.

“My thought is that if someone is here illegally, they should be afraid to come forward,” Mr. Fattman said. “If you do it the right way, you don’t have to be concerned about these things,” he said referring to obtaining legal immigration status.
I hate this whole right way thing, the process to get into this country is not an easy one to crack. Also they love illegal immigrants as workers, but don't want to deal with everything else the person comes from.

Quote:
Instead of helping rape victims, the new federal program would have police turn them directly over to the federal government to be deported. Fattman believes that’s exactly what should happen:

Mr. Fattman acknowledged that people could be deported after an arrest even if they are not convicted of a crime, under the program in use in more than 30 states.

While citizens have the right to be viewed as innocent until found guilty in court, he said, “I don’t think that principle extends to illegal immigrants.” He said he had no concerns about racial profiling by police.

According to Fattman, deporting undocumented immigrants who have not committed a crime is more important than deterring violent crime or helping rape victims. “Innocent until proven guilty” isn’t the only principle he doesn’t think should apply to illegal immigrants — apparently basic human decency is only a luxury American citizens should enjoy. Fattman is such a radical that he believes American-born children of illegal immigrants should be deported with their parents, which would be in direct violation of the 14th Amendment.

(HT: Right Wing Watch)

What are your thoughts on this?
All this makes really angry, what message does this give to men? That it is okay to rape Mexican undocumented women because they won't stand up and report? I hate how people care more about legal than basic human rights.

Old 02-16-2013
Maestro

I can see this happening..However there are laws in place for women that fall in this category and they do have rights despite common beliefs..
I know as a former Case Manager/Transitional Housing Coordinator for a Domestic Violence non-profit these “women” most certainly had rights..

The fear is most def. there, coming forth to state abuse out of fear due to their status however thankfully here where I LIVE we did a lot of “outreach work” .
So long as the women understood that with their full cooperation ( naming the perp and working diligently with the DA’S office to obtain a conviction and deportation ) they would be able to receive services for themselves as well as for their children and hopefully begin on working on their legal residency.
So not all is lost…There are still good people fighting for them and their rights as human beings.