Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 12-13-2011
Director

Default Racism PSA from Mexico

I'm not sure if people will actually check themselves after watching this, but acknowledging it's existance in México is a step in the right direction. What do the rest of you think about this?

Old 12-13-2011
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan
Default Re: Racism PSA from Mexico

Wow

Never thought I'd see the day..

It's good to see they're opening a dialogue about it, but Mexco's problem has always been more about class IMO..

But it's a start

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 12-13-2011
Gunner

I can see the video man. I have to wait til I'm on a computer
Old 12-13-2011
Gunner

Can't ***
Old 12-14-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Any Mexican, in Mexico, who works in anything other than farm work/butcher shop/or abbarotes thinks they are the shit. When in reality what they work in is what we consider minimum wage/shit work here. Fuck you you goddamn uppity Liverpool employee asshole! With your $12 a day job...
Old 12-14-2011
Travieso

It is true though indios don't know how to drive or cross streets properly.
Old 04-11-2012
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Fuck you you goddamn uppity Liverpool employee asshole! With your $12 a day job...

I know the type.
Old 04-11-2012
Maestro

I never thought this type of racism to be uncommon or unheard of.

When I was a wee lass, we practically lived in Mexico. I had a light skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed cousin who was adored by the family. He had a younger brother and sister who were born dark skinned, dark hair and eyes. They weren't treated badly, just different, at least by family members.
Now, when we'd go hang out en el Centro with friends, my light skinned cousin would get attention and special treatment. He was looked at as the "good looking" one of his family. People who found out that one brother was dark and one was light, would make comments like, "What happened to the last two?"...as if his brother and sister were hideous! And the people making the comments were no lighter than my dark skinned cousins. Ain't that a trip?!

It's sad to see this type of racism, but it does exist.
Old 04-12-2012
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
When I was living in Veracruz and was at the beach..everywhere I went they would call me guerra..and Im nowhere near white! But somehow they knew I wasnt from there..maybe It was my fucked up Texas mocho spanish

Anyways yeah I've seen it first hand..with my ex husbands family..they would always talk about people and family and they would rave about them being "blancos" or "weros" I really thought it was weird. But It does happen.
It can't be as bad as mine!
Pinche guerra! <3
Old 04-14-2012
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanoDan View Post
Wow

Never thought I'd see the day..

It's good to see they're opening a dialogue about it, but Mexco's problem has always been more about class IMO..

But it's a start
I think its also more about class, people here are elitist and I HATE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Any Mexican, in Mexico, who works in anything other than farm work/butcher shop/or abbarotes thinks they are the shit. When in reality what they work in is what we consider minimum wage/shit work here. Fuck you you goddamn uppity Liverpool employee asshole! With your $12 a day job...
HAHA exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
When I was living in Veracruz and was at the beach..everywhere I went they would call me guerra..and Im nowhere near white! But somehow they knew I wasnt from there..maybe It was my fucked up Texas mocho spanish

Anyways yeah I've seen it first hand..with my ex husbands family..they would always talk about people and family and they would rave about them being "blancos" or "weros" I really thought it was weird. But It does happen.
I call people güeros or güeras to trip them out even if they are morenos.

I live in México so I have experienced it first hand. I have gangster, tatted, mean looking friends here where I live and if they go over to a "mall" all of the security are over them and watching every step.

If you dont look like the kind of person that has money, they will do the same thing regardless what you wanna do there.

I live with 2 white girls, I mean straight out American, blue eyed, blond and light skin. We have these cholo looking friends and this one time we all went to go buy some stuff we needed for a work project we had and there was did security guy that came over and asked us (girls) if we were okay, if we came at our own will, thinking our cholo looking friends had kidnaped us or something. We were all offended and made a big deal about it and we just left.

Racism still exist, and México is not the only place.

Old 04-17-2012
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I went to a conference with a lot of Mexican academics/scholars and there's some research being done by folks.... mind you, it's on the fringe of academia... but there is work being done on racism...

I don't agree w/ the "it's more about class," statements.... partly b/c they erase or don't tell the story as to why some people, that look a certain way, tend to be part of the lower classes, while others who generally look a certain way, occupy higher strata on the socioeconomic ladder...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 04-17-2012
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
I don't agree w/ the "it's more about class," statements.... partly b/c they erase or don't tell the story as to why some people, that look a certain way, tend to be part of the lower classes, while others who generally look a certain way, occupy higher strata on the socioeconomic ladder...
I agree. I'm surprised to see so many ignore that, especially with México's history. I think too many buy into the whole mestizaje thing without questioning to what extent it really occurred.
Old 04-19-2012
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I heard someone once say that mestizaje in Mexico is the way white supremacy manifests itself there. I tend to agree.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 04-20-2012
Director

This makes sense. If everybody is (in theory) part white, then they can claim that heritage while at the very least ignoring other parts of it (which I've often seen done). In my personal experiences, I've seen many of our people try to claim kinship to Iberians and other Europeans who never went to Mexico in large numbers (Portuguese, Italians, etc.), as well as middle eastern people (by citing that there were 'Arabes' in Spain), but they regard Native indigenas as a people completely foreign to them. The level of denial is ugly.

Last edited by El Californio; 04-20-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
I heard someone once say that mestizaje in Mexico is the way white supremacy manifests itself there. I tend to agree.
I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Californio View Post
In my personal experiences, I've seen many of our people try to claim kinship to Iberians and other Europeans who never went to Mexico in large numbers (Portuguese, Italians, etc.), as well as middle eastern people (by citing that there were 'Arabes' in Spain), but they regard Native indigenas as a people completely foreign to them. The level of denial is ugly.
I have experience this. My uncle and I have a disagreement with an ancestry in our blood line (this going back to the 1600's in New Mexico). He claims that we get Solorio from this Arab guy from Spain who decided to change his name. I have questioned him on it especially since everyone around him at the time were native. Anyway, my uncle never did want to show the document that he claims he got it from even though I shown him documents (along with giving him copies) on our white and native ancestry. Even my grandpa (his father) documentation that he is native. My grandma (who is his mother who is white) would later marry my grandpa. I had to explain to him, it's hard to believe that my grandpa's bloodline is Arab since it was my grandpa's mother who taught my grandma how to use the metate along with teaching her very Mexican meals including traditional atole.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 04-20-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2012
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Good book to read on Arabs in Mexico is so far from Allah, so close to Mexico.