Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Health and Beauty > General Health

General Health Discuss any Health topics that don't quite fit into any other health forums.

Old 10-23-2008
Veterano

Default Re: High BLood Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven116 View Post
Oh Cali I am sorry! And yes sometimes if it is in your family HX than more than likely you have a predisposition.
There are triggers though, too much alcohol consumption, recent weight gain (and it does not have to be alot 5 lbs can do it), a change in work, family and so forth, i.e stress levels go up, or "White coat syndrome" (Fear of doctors)
Did you just go for a routine physical? Were you sick and felt you needed meds? Have you been taking anything for allergies or a cold lately?
The reason I ask is because you may have medically induced hypertension, some over the counter meds including , elixirs, cough syrups, allergy meds will elevate your BP temporarily and as soon as you D/C (Discontinue these your BP will go back to normal)
Or were you exhibiting, Shortness of breath, tightness in your chest, nausea, the feeling like you were going to throw up, tracers (Little black dots in front of your eyes) Ringing in your ears or lightheaded? These are all symptoms of elevated BP.
Chance are with daily walks and about 10 mgs of a BP med i.e Lisinopril it will be under control, nothing to be afraid of....
well there are many factors, not only does it run in my family but i have always proned to anxiety since that also runs in my family. i do take meds for my allergies that are prescribed. but also like how you mentioned white coat syndrome. for some reason when i go to the doctor, i already get an automatic dreadful feeling. so when they usually take my bp, it is high.

but im not overweight, i was 182, went up to 189 since i started eating all the wrong foods. so i know that contributed. i was an avid runner and ran about 3.5 miles about 3-4 times a week.
i think my prinary cause is genetics. but my doc put me on 10 mg of lotensin. and i went for a follow up on tuesday. i was nervous like hell thinking my bp was gonna be high, but it was actually 132/89.. its an improvement

Last edited by D-TOWN; 10-23-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2008
Estudiante

That's unfortunate you have high blood pressure. My father had a moderately high blood pressure. I think most Chicanos do considering the food we eat, most of the post-Columbian food has a lot of fat in it, not to mention Tex Mex lol

Joking aside, I think you should invest your time in researching a more organic and pill-free approach to lowering your blood pressure.

Do you take any vitamins or any herbal shakes/drinks in the morning? If so, which ones? There are some vitamin supplements that do have a tendency to raise your blood pressure.

Also, you mention you do physical workouts and eat healthy, but you're mentally stressed. Being stressed is an obvious contribution to high blood pressure.

The reason I don't like mainstream medical research is because most of them either have been taught back in the 60s/70s/80s/90s which makes their medical knowledge outdated. Even the famous food pyramid has been re-done. Also some doctors and pharmaceutical companies like to shove a prescription down your throat and proceed with the next patient aching for a cure.

The flaw about some medications is it fixes the problem but not the original cause. Which leaves you taking medications until you're six feet under.

A proper diet and understanding of what your immune system, digestive system, neurological and circulatory system do is what will have you understand what is best for your body.

Now, I'm not a doctor, and I don't want you to disregard what the doctor(s) have suggested you to do; but it never hurts to do personal research and understand how/why your body has high blood pressure.

Your doctor(s) may have suggested you cutting down on foods that contain salt, no? Which is obvious because it will mildly contribute to lowering your blood pressure.

When you have high blood pressure, your arteries are filled with plaque which are composed of oxidized fats & oxidized cholesterol which come from the no good fats in your diet. As a result of that your arteries become narrow, and inelastic, they don't expand well.

When your arteries are narrow and cannot expand to their healthiest, it's the lack of vitamin C, MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) and other organic substances that are killed during the storage/regulating of food.

So the heart is pumping blood from very narrow and unexpandable arteries, which results in high blood pressure.

Your solution: eat organic and foods that aren't processed, modified muck.

When you consume good fats, fats that are found in foods that are whole, intact and from it's most purest form you have healthy fats that are important for the regulating of of the brain and the nervous system, for the transfer of oxygen, for the metabolism of insulin, the processing of hormones, and the movement of nutrients throughout your cells.

Here are some suggestions you can experiment on or talk over with your doctor(s) for verification and suggested intake if you want to considering going a more natural way of lowering your blood pressure.

Olive leaf extract
- Recent studies ( 2008 ) show that Olive leaf extract may help in the lowering of blood pressure. Since the Olive leaf contains bioactive components but the most significant is oleuropein. This component acts as an antioxidant and helps dilate your blood vessels.

If you're considering taking this, ask your doctor, he may give you more information. Olive leaf Extract not only lowers blood pressure but also is used as an antiviral. You can stop colds, flus, etc.

Garlic - Garlic helps in lowering blood pressure because of its' powerful antioxidant properties, so using Garlic as a means of lowering blood pressure should be practiced under your doctor(s) knowledge.

Garlic contains Allicin, which is an enzyme that helps in the decreasing of high cholesterol & triglyceride levels. This compound can only be released when Garlic is crushed, or cut. Diallyl Sulphide is also another component found in Garlic that contributes to lowering of high blood pressure, and is said to boost the immune system. The thing about Allicin is that it deteriorates when heated, so consuming Garlic, crushed and raw is best to obtain the natural nutrients.

Garlic also thins the blood, which causes less blood clots.

Vitamic C - Early studies have shown the possibility of Vitamin C being a contributor to the lowering of High blood pressure, and it's true.

Earlier in this paragraph I mention how arteries, to a person of high blood pressure, are narrow and inelastic? Because of that of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is responsible for the synthesis of collagen, this is important because collagen is an important structural component of blood vessels, bone, tendons, etc.

Vitamin C builds stronger elastic arteries, which is good. You can learn more about Vitamin C and it's 300 + functions in the body and why Vitamin C is essential for the body.

If you wanna try out Vitamin C and see if it does lower your blood pressure, ask your doctor first, he may give you some suggestions.

There are many other contributors you can do research on, such as Magnesium, Folic acid, Calicium and Fish oils. I hope I've helped, Bobby, if you need any more information just PM me

Moo.
This little piggy violated virgins
And this little piggy clambered over a heap of dead bodies to get to the top.
-- Neil Gaiman
Old 10-23-2008
Veterano

thanks for the info jia... yeah, the only vitamins i take is a b-50 complex and about 1500 mg of vitamin c a day. i have tried to eat more fresher foods. i love eating raw green vegetables, especially spinach. as far as the processed foods. i would say 50% of my diet is pocessed I will pm you later about more info.. thks
Old 10-25-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-TOWN View Post
well there are many factors, not only does it run in my family but i have always proned to anxiety since that also runs in my family. i do take meds for my allergies that are prescribed. but also like how you mentioned white coat syndrome. for some reason when i go to the doctor, i already get an automatic dreadful feeling. so when they usually take my bp, it is high.

but im not overweight, i was 182, went up to 189 since i started eating all the wrong foods. so i know that contributed. i was an avid runner and ran about 3.5 miles about 3-4 times a week.
i think my prinary cause is genetics. but my doc put me on 10 mg of lotensin. and i went for a follow up on tuesday. i was nervous like hell thinking my bp was gonna be high, but it was actually 132/89.. its an improvement
Yup it happens to the best of us. And I ruled out the fatty factor because you look like you take care of yourself and as jia stated there are things that you can take to assist in reducing your bp but you need to be careful when taking herbal supplements because they may conflict with what you have been rx'd by your M.D. AND the fact that some of these compounds have not been regulated by the FDA this way one can guarantee the purity of the product.
10 mgs? This is nothing. As soon as your strss lecel goes down so will your bp
<3 Dacia
Old 10-25-2008
Director

lol his stress level will never go down... he lets his anxiety get the best of him always....
Old 10-26-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEPENDENT CHICANA View Post
lol his stress level will never go down... he lets his anxiety get the best of him always....
lolz! Girl I will take your word for it, you know better than me.
Old 10-27-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-TOWN View Post
i want someone to keep me young........
im 35 and feel great, its just the mentality of being 35 that is
depressing.
so you feel great but still you think like an ol dirty man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
No one is forcing you to read peoples threads.
who's forcing. this is my brother posting this shit...

Last edited by wheelsofsteel; 10-27-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-27-2008
Supporter
Maestro

Well if it's of any consolation, D-town, I have the OPPOSITE problem. My blood pressure is on the bad side of LOW. (Hypotension)

It messes me up... makes me dizzy, tired all the time. And I have to actually consume more salt (But not too much) to try to balance my BP.

Crazy, huh..

Old 10-28-2008
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to PoeticPapi Send a message via Yahoo to PoeticPapi

everytime i go to the doctor i have high blood pressure. i went in yesterday for a heart check up and they gave me meds for lower my blood pressure. hopefuly this works we will see when i go back in a month if it does
Old 10-28-2008
Director

ooooooo Nessa you have to be careful... take care of the soy prodigy baby
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gunner

*Bump*

Anyone else dealing with BP issues?

You make my heart flutter, like wings of a hummingbird. With you, my soul flies... <3
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Veterano

Oh!
This is men’s health thread
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Last edited by LaChavela; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:24 PM. Reason: Huh oh
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gunner

^^ yes & no. I mean the thread is about high blood pressure. I'm sure this is a unisex topic. I mean c'mon. But yes, Chave I also try to stay away from high sodium food and try to keep the stress a minimum.

Also been seeing on Univision commercials for bajatupresion.org or something like that. Should check it out either way.

You make my heart flutter, like wings of a hummingbird. With you, my soul flies... <3
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Veterano

It would be cool if it were my only problem
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
Oh!
This is menís health thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTOWNMAMI239 View Post
^^ yes & no. I mean the thread is about high blood pressure. I'm sure this is a unisex topic. I mean c'mon
*Thread moved to general health forum*

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 1 Week Ago
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
*Thread moved to general health forum*
Thank ya, m'am.

Old 1 Week Ago
Veterano

Hi my name is Chave and I have high blood pressure among numerous other things