Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Anything that doesn't quite fit anywhere else. This is usually where the chisme can be found!

Old 03-06-2018
Fresh Meat!

Default Let's talk about our pets

Do you have a pet? Let's talk about them and share your experiences on having a pet or the things that you want to do with your pet.
Old 03-07-2018
Fresh Meat!

Default Re: Let's talk about our pets

Owners of a mixed breed dog should check out this dog DNA test kit. Not only it can trace your dog's breed origin, but also it's a perfect way to get to know him better. In that way, you can be aware of your dog's temperament and health expectations and issue.
Old 07-02-2018
Veterano

Interesting....DNA testing for dogs

We have two cats, one older black cat with green eyes and set in his ways and another cat that’s just a year old tortoise shell coloring that’s playful and always keeps us laughing. They are inside/outside so they come in during the day to eat sleep and go outside to have adventures, they come when you call them.

We are getting a dog that is pit bull, husky mix she’s a puppy still nursing we get her in August but we have visits so she knows us
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 07-19-2018
Veterano

I’m amazed at how our cats behave they stay within the yard and come in to eat and sleep
I’ve never had cats like these who are both comfortable inside and out
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 07-19-2018
Mocoso

Maybe I can get advise on how to gain the trust of a cat that I have been feeding for several months now it appears. I first saw the cat in winter on my yard garden and I felt sorry. The cold weather made me put some cat food close to my back door but as soon as the cat saw me, he ran away into the bushes in the garden.

After a while I noticed that he came back to eat. This scenario has been going on for several months now. I cannot get the cat to come close to me. He runs away. I want to touch the cat so I can bring it into the house for winter.

I have been told several techniques I could follow, but I cannot even get close enough for the cat to notice. Recently, the cat does not seem so afraid of me like before as he waits early in the morning for his food, and when I step outside of my door slowly, the cat just walks away slowly too, but does not run.

The cat has now become accustomed to the hours when he knows I will place his food just outside my back door. I just cannot touch him or come close.

Any idea you have will be appreciated. I really would like to bring this cat inside of the house, especially for the winter.

Thanks for reading, I had not logged in to Soy for awhile, but this tread made me sign in....Best regards
Old 07-19-2018
Veterano

Getting the cat used to you is What you are doing, and there is no timeline on when he will trust you but keep getting closer to the cat. I wish you much success
Old 07-19-2018
Veterano

When you get the cat into your house you will have to de-flea it. Ours has strong flea collars on plus we treat the grass and give them baths. Their flea collars cost $79ea don’t get the
dollar store ones. Also we use an all natural flea and bug spray in the house that has essential oils to kill and repell fleas also the wipes to wipe down our furniture. Essentially we have a flea free home even though they are inside outside pets. It’s a lot of work but very rewarding as pets can be a vital part of your life.
Old 07-20-2018
Mocoso

LaChavela, thanks for your advise. The part you mention about keep doing what I am seems to be working...slowly, but the cat now waits for me early in the morning after I take my shower around 6 a.m.. He is laying under the steps of the stairway that leads to the second floor of my duplex home. When he see that I pull the drapes he knows food is coming.

When I open the back door slowly, the cat gets up and walks slowly away from me, but does not run. As soon as I place the bowls with his food and clean fresh water he is at the bowls before I even open the door to get back into the house.

As for the fleas and other stuff, I have been advised to take the cat to the Vet as soon as I get it into my house. Oh, I understand all that stuff and really do not mind spending for the cat's up-keep and health. I have already invested a lot of my time to just give up, which I will not do. I am determined to have this cat into my home and out of the cold winter here in Milwaukee, where I call home. Winters here are brutal, I know. So it really pains me to even think of how hard it must be for this cat. I used to see this cat as an alley cat, stray cat. But no more. My wife and I have adopted this cat and we make sure he stays well fed, despite his shyness, he will come to us...I just can feel it.

One thing really encourage me about what I`m saying. This cat actually already knows me. He knows I will not hurt him and knows I am here for him with his food. He now stays in my yard daily, sleeping in the bushes and flower bed in our garden....Thanks La Chavela. Yours is quite the same advise I have gotten from other cat owners...I will keep trying and will keep you posted.

Glad I logged into Soy and saw this thread.
Old 07-20-2018
Veterano

Roberto, so glad you are making progress with your cat I wish you success and happiness
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Veterano

I live with my daughter and her family. They all went camping at the Oregon coast. They took the dog with them.

I miss the dog
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Miss Mod
Veterano

I love dogs, but I've realized that I currently don't have the patience to train a puppy or younger dog because they need your attention all day every day. Once I move into a place (hopefully my own!) where I can have dogs, I hope to adopt an adolescent or older dog who doesn't require as much

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 1 Week Ago
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

My current chihuahua is from my sister who left for the navy so practically mine. Loves attention, but got to walk her every 2 hours or she'll make a bathroom mess. Luckily, she'll wake me up if she needs to go in the middle of the night.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 1 Week Ago
Veterano

The cats went out this morning but came right back in as it’s cold and raining. LOL I have to laugh at those kitties. The puppy runs around the yard relishing this new feel of cold and wetness. Then when you try to wipe her off when she comes in you have a tug of war with the towel. She’s still a puppy.
Old 1 Week Ago
Gunner

I miss my dog. RIP

You make my heart flutter, like wings of a hummingbird. With you, my soul flies... <3
Old 1 Week Ago
Veterano

Dog wanted to go outside to sit in the sun. We have a spoiled puppy
Old 1 Week Ago
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTOWNMAMI239 View Post
I miss my dog. RIP
So sorry. Pets are precious