Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 04-29-2005
Chicle

Send a message via MSN to BeanerBaby
Default It's cuz we're BROWN!!!... in a white town

Ok this past week at my High School there has been so much tension between the gringos and mexicans it's not even funny. it all began when all the mexicans were hanging out at our usual spot during lunch. close by us was a group of gringos that jus kept hella starring over at us. when the bell rang they all walked passed us and were jus talkin shit. one of them mentioned that "mexicans are only good to work in fields." A guy that kicks it with us (we call him "Big Boy") got hella mad and was like "fucken guero" the guero turned around and started saying hella shit to Big Boy so Big Boy told him to step back but he didn't listen. instead he kapt talking crap and threw a wrapper in Big Boy's face and slapped him. by this time there was already a big ass crowd around us. the police, principal and others came to breake them up because they didn't want a fight. they told both to go to the office the gringo walked away and then turned around to head to the office Big Boy realized that the gringo was standing next to him and hella turned him around and socked him in the face. he didn't give the guero time to fight back. the way it usually goes is that both partied invovled in the fight are supposed to get suspended wheather they took the first shot or not. in this case Big Boy was expelled and sent to Juvie the and white boy came to school the next day saying that it was a cheap shot and if Big Boy hadn't got him from behind he would have kicked his ass which is bullshit. in one of my classes his gringo freinds were saying that he got beatup by some "stupid Mexican."

Even though they (school officials) are denying it we know that they kicked us out of our spot because of that. so what we did is jus move to another hallway and again they told us that we needed to move but they were going to let us stay there for that one day because it was raining. i guess that people have been complaining about us because we are all mexican, there is at least 20 of us, and we all hang out together. what now they are going to tell us who we can and cannot hang out with? i don't think so. Another thing the other day this week one of the guys who jus got here and doesn't speak that much english was kicking it at the wall that we got kick off of when that officer saw him he told him to move. he jus stood there so the officer told him again. so he grabbed his things and came over to where we were and put them against the wall. he officer told him to go to the office. but since it was lunch time this boy decided that he was gonna get his lunch then go to the office. the officer then ran after this boy that is known to have heart problems and tackled him to the ground. he took him to the office and put him in a room where you could hear he was being yelled at. you could hear the officer was hella using profanity. if this boy does't understand english how is yelling and using that kind of language supposed to make him understand?

This also goes along with all of this. My friend tried out for a dance team this year is the first year they have done this. she tried out for the part of the mascot and got it. she's been to all the practices and has meet all the requirments needed. but this week it turns out that she was told by the coach that if she wanted to keep being the mascot she needed to stop hanging out with "the mexicans" instead she needed to hang around the gringos. Even though she was very excited about being that mascot she chose her friends because they are more important to her that jus being the mascot.

Today we had a conference discussing all of these issues and we decided that we are going t have a meeting with the principal on Monday at lunch. we are going to try and bring the parents of those students that i mentioned. see if this way they will give us real answers. if this doesn't help we plan to make a conferecne with all the parents if all else fails we plane to make a strike.

So what do all of you think of what is going on at my school? please make any suggestions that can help us with what we are doing or jus write what you think. thanx bunches
~ La BeanerBaby
Old 04-29-2005
Chicle

Send a message via Yahoo to lildreamer

dayum ey thaz f*cked up they cant do that sh*t to you guys. daz racism ey thaz culo. dayum where u stay that there aint that much mexicans, sh*t over here where im from thaz all there iz we out number everyone well i think u guys need to fight back and involove the school board if u have to. well thaz wut i would do.
al ratoz
lildreamer

remember ta keep ya head up dont let no gueros take ur pride.
Old 04-29-2005
Estudiante

I think you guys are making the right decision. At my school everybody would probably just fight eachother. One time I remember eating Lunch and it was the same case where two white guys were talking crap about the mexicans and One of the Mexican girls heard and told them she was going to get the mexican guys (which was unnecessary) the two guys turned the corner laughing all of the sudden all the mexican and black guys come into the lunchroom. The white guys come back with alot and i mean ALOT of other white kids, girls and guys. So I stood up and there were white girls standing on the tables, girls that were my friends staring down at me holding onto their little purses. i seriously felt like i was in a movie, all the mexican girls came running in pushingc everybody and cussing. All the white kids seriously went crazy and of course we werent going to back down and here comes this Mexican kid in the middle of us and the school cop jumps on the table, hits me with his walkie talkie and jumps on the guy who had just gotten his lunch and was trying to find somewhere to sit. all hell broke loose when i told one of my guy friends that he hit me and he had knocked my earing off. all the mexican guys went crazy jumping on tables and running everywhere , while all the girls screamed and started taking off their jewlery cussing in spanish and going crazy. I learned that it was a big mistake. because instead of yelling and confronting them we should have just told the school police. I know i sound like every other person but trust me I have been in that situation and the best thing to do is what you are doing. Keep it up, if youre friends want to fight or confront the whites convinve them not too. We have to prove ourselves twice as much because we are minorities and people stereotype us into violent people, DONT let them have that satisfaction of being right.
Old 04-30-2005
Mocoso

Default RE: Racism in school

I think all of the Mexican students should keep it together and organize (even off campus if necessary). Find out who in your group has the strongests writing and speaking powers. Someone or some strong leaders in your group should doument all of what you have stated here and even write more details. Be as detailed and as precise as possible. Take your report of the mistreatment and discrimination and get as many people to sign it as possible. File the report with the school and with the district if necessary.

Continue to meet with the prinicpal and with the parents of the kids involved. Document everything and if you still feel that your group is being discriminated against, then demand that the prinicpal take immediate action to end the discrimination. In the case of the Spanish-speaking boy, I think his parents should file a complaint with the police. The officer does not have the authority to touch the boy even if he does not speak or understand English.

I think you should follow sexmexi16's example in the thread on "Racism in my High School":
http://www.soychicano.com/modules.ph...er=asc&start=0

The botton line is that your group needs one or powerful leaders who can write and speak well in order to represent the group that is experiencing discrimination. Until you and your group learn to speak up for yourselves, whites and and other non-browns may try to take advtantage of you all. Don't let them. Speaking up now and taking action will help you to develop powerful voices that you will need the rest of your lives for making it in this world of racists.
Old 04-30-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to iLLegal_chicana

dang!!! dat shyt is seriously messed up--i would take it up to the school board--dey CAN"T and SHALL not do that--you mexicans need to STICK together throught everything that happens no matter the risks!!!
dey are soo culeros for doing dat--dey prolly just jealous too

at my school theyres only about 10 mexicans 9-12 grade n we all dont hang out but dat dont mean i dont got their back--ofcourse i got their back!!! darest of mah school is gringos--im used to it n have problems w/ noone

yeah its good that your taking it up to the school board

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=GataxSalvajex
Old 04-30-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to La_Gata_Loca Send a message via Yahoo to La_Gata_Loca

To t3ll u th3 truth I wouldn't know th3 first thing to do but in what3v3r u do I WISH U TH3 B3ST OF LUCK... and don't l3t this thing fly.
Old 04-30-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to eBoNy_qUe3n Send a message via MSN to eBoNy_qUe3n Send a message via Yahoo to eBoNy_qUe3n

that is messed up...you should go to the board of education or summin....w don't have white against mexican things at our skool...cuz there's about like 10 maybe 15 white students there...but in the area i live, it's jus mexicans, blacks, and azns...there has been stuff like dat in south central and watts involving jefferson and jordan high...but that was with blackz and brownz...but really, that is racist, and you and yo friends should do somethin bout it...

Xanga

MySpace...add me...
Old 04-30-2005
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to luvlatinagirls721

Ok where is that fucker i want to beat the shit out of him i will beat him to a bloody pulp i will get my homies and jump him.
Old 05-01-2005
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerBaby
they told both to go to the office the gringo walked away and then turned around to head to the office Big Boy realized that the gringo was standing next to him and hella turned him around and socked him in the face.
??...not one of the smart guys, is he?
--well, I know. It's not easy to think straight in those kind of situations... but that was just stupid... -- What did he expect to get for it? A cookie? Being expelled? ...*keeps pondering*

\"Saving love doesn\'t bring any interest.\"-- Mae West

\"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.\"
Old 05-01-2005
Estudiante

Send a message via MSN to Browneyes_823

I wish you luck, Be happy that you're all united. The hispanics in my school arent united worth shit, only when the issue of racism comes up. My school is mostly made up of gringos and somilians. We get yelled at for speaking spanish, but they get away with doing whatever the hell they want. It's messed up. Schools prefer the gringos becuz they are the majority, and they like the somilians cuz they get lots of money for having them. Us, we aint worth shit, theyre forced to like us cuz we have to go to school. I just wish they knew how it felt to be discriminated like this. Good luck and I hpe everything works out.

~*~Jordan Jimenez~*~ 1988-2001
My Bestfriend

~*~ Lydia \"Preciosa\" Sanchez ~*~ 1988-2004
My Bestfriend, My Carnala
Old 05-01-2005
Chicle

Send a message via MSN to BeanerBaby

lildreamer
there is a good amount of mexicans at my school but not all of us kick it together. but since this started all of us and more have come together to fight this. we are not going to let them silence us we will be heard.

Brown_Beauty
we won't let have the satisfaction of proving them right. even thought the principal told us that no matter what we do they are going to come out the winner in the end. well guess what we are going to prove them wrong no matter what it takes.

citlalin
we have teachers that are helping us out they are the ones that are lending us their classrooms so we can have our meetings. They are going to be there when we have the meeting with the principal on Monday. They agree that they have taken this way out of proportion. We do have people in our group that have called radio stations and have written letters to the news station.

iLLegal_chicana
thanx gurl we are sticking together no matter what they throw at us.

eBoNy_qUe3n
if it gets to the point where we have to take this matter to the board of education we will but if we can solve this without having to involve them that would be great. All of us are willing to bring our parents and go to the district see if that doesn’t catch their attention.

luvlatinagirls721
oh get this the white boy has been going around telling everyone that if Big Boy hadn’t caught him off guard then he would have been the one that got his ass kicked. That is so much bullshit right there.

Volkito
Big Boy wasn’t thinking of the consequences he was that mad. But still when ever there is a fight it goes both people that are involved get suspended. In this case that didn’t happen. Big Boy was suspended and put in juvie and the white boy wasn’t punished at all. Now he’s getting special treatment from some teachers. What kind of crap is that?

Browneyes_823
We get yelled at also for speaking Spanish. The other day I was in my classroom and I was talking with my friend in Spanish he was telling me something when she tells us that we need to speak Spanish in the classroom because we are in “America.” When I told my mom that she got mad and told me that if they say that to me again to tell them that Mexico tambien es parte de “America”

Tejano
"BeanerBaby" is a nickname that is only used when me and my friends write letter to each other incase we should lose it or misplace it.(there is only one high school in our town so if people finds a letter that belongs to someone else the whole school knows what was written in the letter) Other than that no one calls me that.

the school officials didn’t even see the fight there were too many of us around them. The jus took the word of the white boys friends. When we went to tell them our side of the story they didn’t even want to hear what we had to say.

Iwanttothankallofyouthathavepostedforthesupportyouhaveshown.Thanx&keepposting