Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Travel

Travel A place for the travellers of SoyChicanol.com to gather and share thier experiences, tips, and plans.

Old 01-30-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Los Angeles attractions and public transportation

I am planning a trip to LA, nothing too fancy, just 5-6 days. I have been researching a little bit, but I would rather have information from a local. So I have several concerns. I want to go do sight seeing as well as relaxing at the beach.

Here is a list of the places I would like to visit:
  • The Getty Center
    Nethercut or Peterson Museum, I am going there for the car exhibit, so which one do you think is better?
    Museum of Tolerance or the Museum of Death - once again which do you think is better?
    Griffith Observatory
    Bradbury Building - looks cool
    Hollywood sign and Hollywood walk of fame
    El Pueblo de Los Angeles

So that is the list of attractions/landmarks/cultural things I would like to visit, let me know if you think others should be added to the list, or some removed (even if you tell me to remove Hollywood, I won't)

Also I want to spend at least a day or two at the beach, but I don't want a nasty crowded beach, so please, please make suggestions.

Finally, I realize Los Angeles is a giant city, and I will not be driving there, I will be flying. Also I am not 25 so probably cannot get a car rental, so how do I get around? To my understanding there is some kind of subway, train, bus system, but I am not sure if it covers the whole city, including Santa Monica Bay, Hollywood etc. How reliable is this public transportation? Where is the most convenient/safe but affordable location for me to stay?

You don't have to be a local to answer these questions, if you have been to LA and have tips, by all means throw them at me.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013
Mocoso

Default Re: Los Angeles attractions and public transportation

Olvera Street is cool too you should head there

I grew on public transportation, it's cool, get a tap card and you can get a day pass on it for $5 the subways are good and cover a good portion of the city, but not really West LA, red line goes through Hollywood and Downtown mostly, two places you definitely wanna head to, got stops at Hollywood/ Vine, Hollywood/Western and Hollywood/Highland, and that's just off Hollywood Boulevard, famous intersections, stops in Downtown as well 7th Street, Pershing Square and Central, Central is where Olvera street is, a very short walk from the station. That's the red line, Gold Line has Chinatown, Little Tokyo, East LA, Pasadena, and stops in that area. Blue Line goes from Downtown through South Central into Long Beach, not much landmarks to see, there's the Watts Towers which really isn't that cool, there's also Compton which is famous, Long Beach can be worth seeing for you, haven't been there in ever so I can't really talk about it. Silver Line goes into the Harbor, never used it, don't see what use it would be for a tourist either, green line goes through South Central and the South Bay, Orange Line goes through the San Fernando valley if you're interested in that, can get very crowded though, there's also a new line I've never taken, I think it's called the Expo Line, if you wanna get to West LA a good choice is the 2, goes through Downtown, Hollywood, and West LA, two of the stops are right near the Hollywood/Highland and Vermont/Sunset stations, took it yesterday to UCLA, long ride , if you wanna take a bus that passes by mansions you can take it, another subway line is the purple line, goes through Wilshire and has a stop for Koreatown, don't know if you wanna see that. If you want to look at a wide diversity of books there's central library right off Pershing Square, USC has bigass libraries, it has two blue line stops, same with UCLA, last stops on the 2 and 302 IIRC. In my life I've taken public transport all over LA, we don't always have a car, my family has gone to the beach on it, I like it. It's easy to understand too, signs at the stations tell nearby landmarks, and at Central station there's a booth where people will tell you what buses you can take anywhere the easiest for free, so you'll be fine. Another place that pops to mind that you might wanna visit is universal studios hollywood, there's a subway stop for that too, if you're interested in Amusement parks there's also Disneyland in Anaheim, that if license plates in it's parking lot are to be believed people come from all over to see Ever been to LA before?
Old 01-30-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Man that's a big ass block response.. lol.

AP, if you wanna hit me up please don't hesitate... i'm all LA'd out... and i can help u out...

Hope all works out well...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 01-30-2013
Mocoso

Yeah I guess it is, what can I say I know the Metro
Old 01-30-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
Man that's a big ass block response.. lol.

AP, if you wanna hit me up please don't hesitate... i'm all LA'd out... and i can help u out...

Hope all works out well...
Thanks! Do you also live in LA?
Also do you know a good area to stay in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlanelolli View Post
Yeah I guess it is, what can I say I know the Metro
Thank you so much your post was very helpful, even if it won't make complete sense until I am already there I am so glad that there is a transportation system that can even get me to the beach!

Old 01-30-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I know Freedom would know his way around.

Also, tell us when you're going so we so cal peeps can say hi to you in person. LOL.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 01-30-2013
Veterano

I'm an L.A. resident myself (downtown specifically) and my primary mode of transportation is train/bus.

If you need help getting around, just axe.
As for nice areas, I'd say shoot for a nice hotel over an "area". There are beautiful famous plush hotels in the Downtown area and there are some real dives just a few short blocks over. It really depends what you're budgeted for.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 01-31-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
Thanks! Do you also live in LA?
Also do you know a good area to stay in?

Thank you so much your post was very helpful, even if it won't make complete sense until I am already there I am so glad that there is a transportation system that can even get me to the beach!
First place you should head to is Union Station, I'm pretty sure they'll have shuttles there from the airport if you're flying, you can get a map, talk to people at the information booth, get a tap card, trust me if you're gonna be taking a lot of subways and trains with Metro a tap card with a $5.00 day pass is your best friend, and Union Station is real close to Olvera Street which is I think what you mean by El Pueblo de Los Angeles, and from Union Station you can easily take the subway to Hollywood and their many tourist attrations, polite warning though Hollywood isn't all that glamorous, I used to head to and through there all the time, you got the walk of fame and the homeless shitting on it, I always thought the dichotomy in the Hollywood area was a bit surreal
Old 01-31-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Yeah... I'm from LA and I take the buses and trains, too... I know the city fairly well... from downtown to the west and south mostly...

And what Kool says about hotels is pretty accurate.... I'm curious at what your budget would be for a hotel...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 01-31-2013
Maestro

About $75-100 a night.. Idk if that is reasonable in Cali...

Old 01-31-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I would suggest coming during the week... on the weekend, i don't think you're gonna get anything like that... what r ur expected dates? or what u looking at?

Old 01-31-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
I would suggest coming during the week... on the weekend, i don't think you're gonna get anything like that... what r ur expected dates? or what u looking at?
My expected dates are May 23 (Thursday) - May 28 (Tuesday). And well I am going with my boyfriend, so I wanted that budget to be for the both of us, but now I feel like I won't be able to find anything that cheap.

I also don't care about how nice the hotel is, I mean I just want to have a clean place to shower and sleep, I rather tour the city than stay in my hotel room, so fanciness is not a concern of mine.

Last edited by _aztec_princess_; 01-31-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2013
Fresh Meat!

Well the best locations to go differs from one person to another, but here's a record of some very well-known destinations in L.A. Hollywood Blvd, Grauman's China Theater, Hollywood and Highland Complex, Griffith Park
Getty Center, City Hall, Disney Show Hall, Our Woman of the Angels Cathedral, Chinatown, Olvera Street, Farmer's Market, Grove Purchasing Center, Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach
Old 05-11-2013
Gunner

I would opt out of the museum of tolerance but that's just me.

In San Gabriel there is the San Gabriel mission Church which is pretty old and cultural. They have a cemetery right next to it. Alhambra is right next there then you can check out Yogurt land.

A lot of oriental restaurants in Alhambra,Rosemead and San Gabriel.

Southwest museum which can be reached via the Gold Line. But not sure if their open, last time they were closed for remodeling or something.
Old 05-11-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
I love oriental food.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 05-12-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
I would opt out of the museum of tolerance but that's just me.

In San Gabriel there is the San Gabriel mission Church which is pretty old and cultural. They have a cemetery right next to it. Alhambra is right next there then you can check out Yogurt land.

Southwest museum which can be reached via the Gold Line. But not sure if their open, last time they were closed for remodeling or something.
Lot of asian ethnoburbs there, I prefer Chinatown though

Last I heard Southwest museum is closed for good since I was in like 8th grade, my middle school had a thing going on there but something happened with the museum now their shit went over to the Autry, so did the school's program if I recall

Kind of trippy, the cowboy museum taking over the Indian one

The Gold Line stop is still called Southwest Museum last I checked though