Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

View Poll Results: Can a chicana be mixed race?
Yes 6 66.67%
No 3 33.33%
Matters the race 0 0%
Don't know 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2012
Fresh Meat!

Exclamation Can a chicana be mixed race?

I am writing a report on chicanas being mixed raced, how does the public view the importance of race in the chicana(o) movement and do you have any personal stories
Old 04-02-2012
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero
Default Re: Can a chicana be mixed race?

I've always thought of chican@ as more of a state of mind then actual race or biological make up...
Old 04-02-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Yes. Next question...
Old 04-02-2012
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

"How does the public view the importance of race in the chicano movement and do you have any personal stories?"
Old 04-03-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Right now I'm wondering who this person is, who they're writing for and wondering if they'll give us a link to the article once they're done.
Old 04-03-2012
Director

Well... if you want to get technical... a large % of anyone in the Americas with a spanish surname is of "mixed race". Whether they'll ever admit it is another topic.

Oh and my guess is... this girl probably has a cholo dad and a white mom, and is wondering if she can still be considered Chicana. Just a hunch.
Old 04-03-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliPac View Post
Well... if you want to get technical... a large % of anyone in the Americas with a spanish surname is of "mixed race". Whether they'll ever admit it is another topic.

Oh and my guess is... this girl probably has a cholo dad and a white mom, and is wondering if she can still be considered Chicana. Just a hunch.
Growing up, I remember there was a lot of people who were part Mexican (their Mexican side had many generations in the United States. At least I assume since their grandparents spoke English), part something else. Not really white, but part Filipino, Samoan or part Native. When I asked them (of course, this was elementary) what they were, they said Mexican. Not sure if they said they were Mexican bc they consider themselves that or just didn't explain the long story or just didn't know. Of course, the parents of these mixed kids had jobs other than working in the field like most Mexicans in the town.

Of course, I have met some white people who claimed they had a Mexican grandparents or great grandparent and they got their last name changed legally. Of course, this was my high school years, so I'm assuming their parents changed their last name and told their kids this so they can get grants and scholarships for college.
Old 04-03-2012
Fresh Meat!

Cali: moms first born in the u.s. And dads white
Old 04-03-2012
Maestro

I'm half and half and consider myself chicano. Though if we want to get technical Latino/Chicano/Mexicano/Hispanic... isn't a race but an ethnicity. You notice this when it asks for your race - Black, White, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, etc. then it asks Hispanic/Not Hispanic. These stem from the race conceptualization - Caucasoid, Mongoloid Negroid and depending on who you ask Australoid.

What all that tells you is that Chicano is not a race but a cultural identity which has less of a structural confine as you would find in racial identification.

You are who you feel you are, how you identify yourself and where you feel you belong.
Old 04-03-2012
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Right now I'm wondering who this person is, who they're writing for and wondering if they'll give us a link to the article once they're done.
I never know why it matters. Public forum and all. If ya dont want to answer then dont.
Old 04-03-2012
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Growing up, I remember there was a lot of people who were part Mexican (their Mexican side had many generations in the United States. At least I assume since their grandparents spoke English), part something else. Not really white, but part Filipino, Samoan or part Native. When I asked them (of course, this was elementary) what they were, they said Mexican. Not sure if they said they were Mexican bc they consider themselves that or just didn't explain the long story or just didn't know. Of course, the parents of these mixed kids had jobs other than working in the field like most Mexicans in the town.

Of course, I have met some white people who claimed they had a Mexican grandparents or great grandparent and they got their last name changed legally. Of course, this was my high school years, so I'm assuming their parents changed their last name and told their kids this so they can get grants and scholarships for college.
Well I was speaking more in reference to Mexicans, Guatemaltecos, Peruanos, Salvis, etc etc...

They (we, us, whatever) are a product of mixture. Very few can make the claim that they aren't. Hell most ppl on earth probably can't to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixedracechicana View Post
Cali: moms first born in the u.s. And dads white
I figured it was something along those lines. What Celestino said is pretty on point w/my view on whether or not you could/should consider yourself "Chicana". It's not really a racial makeup, but a culture.

To be honest however, there are 2 sides or mentalities that do persist IMO;

I know Hondurenos, Philipinos, gueros, gueras, even Japoneses that consider themselves "chicanos" and are accepted as such moreso because they live within the culture, not because of some birthright. When the movement was alive and well, the inclusion of different ppl with the same struggles seemingly wasn't an issue.

But there are also those who will say "you aint Mexican, you aint Chicano"... and that mentality of division could stem for different reasons. Idk if its because we are a good 40-50 years removed from the movement, and newer generations have come into the country who might consider the Chicano movement or Chicano culture a "Mexican" one, as opposed to a conceptual idea of "Raza".
Old 04-03-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino View Post
I'm half and half and consider myself chicano. Though if we want to get technical Latino/Chicano/Mexicano/Hispanic... isn't a race but an ethnicity. You notice this when it asks for your race - Black, White, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, etc. then it asks Hispanic/Not Hispanic. These stem from the race conceptualization - Caucasoid, Mongoloid Negroid and depending on who you ask Australoid.

What all that tells you is that Chicano is not a race but a cultural identity which has less of a structural confine as you would find in racial identification.

You are who you feel you are, how you identify yourself and where you feel you belong.
The person I was expecting to post. Listen to this guy.
Old 04-05-2012
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

You know... something that I've come to really be antagonistic to is when folks talk about race as being a social construct and the narrative stops there...

I think everyone can agree that race has material consequences for folks who are "raced," social construct or not...

As far as the OP's original questions... I think, like others have mentioned, being Chicana/o can be viewed as a certain politicized state of mind... But like, Cali mentioned... there are still many folks who say if you're not mexican then you ain't chicana/o.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 04-06-2012
Gunner

Nice to know what a chicano is.

Last edited by Malicioso; 04-06-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2012
Maestro

I swear there is a few really good in depth articles on this stemming from the Chicano movement like Rodolfo "Corky" Gonzales's "Yo Soy Joaquin" (OK that is a poem not an article but you should get the point)

I think cultural identities are interesting, what used to be an area of discontent is now one that fascinates me. I wonder how and with what cultures my future children will identify...if any. I am the mixture of my Mexican father and Irish-German mother. My wife is Sansei (third generation Japanese) born and raised in Peru. She calls herself Perusian, and while she identifies with Peruvians within the Japanese community here in the US she more aligns herself as Peruvian compared to Asian. Ethnically she is definitively one while culturally another. What will that make our children?

Free, I think often race has a clear cut line because it is defined in very black and white terms, figuratively and literally to an extent. Whereas cultural identity and ethnicity is something new all together. So, while one conversation has a clear end the other offers a lot of room for interpretation.

As an example Black is Black and that is understood but when you look at African-Americans, Mozambique, Camaroon, Nigeria and Kenya you can't deny there are differences. I use those identies specifically because I used to love and listen to conversations between friends of mine in college as they discussed identity in the US even though they were all "Black". It gets even more interesting if you talk to those in South Africa where people pale complected and blond would be labeled colored due to their ancestry up to only a few decades ago.

Mixedracechicana, as I stated before if you feel you are Chicana then you are Chicana. Yet, with that label you must take it for all the good and bad that it is. While at times cultural identity can be hidden in the face of public when it may not be favorable, it does a disservice to the group in which you associate yourself with.

Last edited by Celestino; 04-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.