Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 10-27-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Dia De Los Muertos...

What do you guys do for dia de los muertos? Just curious...
Old 10-27-2004
Veterano

nothing

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 10-27-2004
Mocoso

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NOVEMBER 2ND IF SO WELL SINCE IT'S MY UNCLES BIRTHDAY WE USALLY JUST THROW HIM A PARTY....
Old 10-27-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Yes, it's November 2nd, the day after my b-day Nov. 1st. I see it as duality. My b-day representing life while day of the dead represents death.
Old 10-27-2004
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

sadly, i do not do anything, here there isn othign to do. most do not even know what it is, let alone celebrate it.

i take it as a day of remembrance, but i have nothign ro remember really. those that have died that i have known. i dont really think of them as sad to be gone, just dwell on some of the happier moments, it is better that way. hmm, hard for me to explain, i guess.

but liek i said, i prolly wont be doing much, but the same thing i do everyday.

what are you gonna be doing?
Old 10-27-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I'll be celebrating it on two days; oct 31st and november 2nd. 31st bc the Uniterian Church wants to celebrate it, but don't know much about it so a lot of us are willing to educate these old white people bc a lot of our people (Mexicans and Natives) would be there and it would be sad if they ruin the day for everyone else or disrepecting everyone's altar. I'm going to wear black and have my skeleton gloves on with paint on my face resembling a skull bc a certain uniterian church member doesn't know me and I don't want him to know who I am for a lot of reasons (I think I told you some when we chatted). Also, we would be educating our people. I would also be playing music with my flutes. Not sure if you seen them. One is in a shape of a danzante while the other one is part eagle part parrot.

That church wants to do stuff, but know too much about it. I bet you that they don't know that before the conquest, that it was 3 days. One for those who died in war, who died by drowning, and the third for everyone else. Or that it's one of the oldest holidays that we still celebrate. Or that it was celebrated in either June or July (I forgot. Hopefully someone will know.), but the church changed it to November, one on life (All Saint's Day) and one on death (Dia de los Muertos).

On November 2nd, I'm just going to be home and add my grandparent's pics to my altar (I have an altar up 24/7). With a pan de muerto with copal burning (like they did before the conquest. I don't like the Catholic way with candles. Not a candle person though. I don't even like scented candles.) and think of the happy times with them.
Old 10-27-2004
Supporter
Veterano

November 1st, All Saint's day.

November 2nd, Election Day & All Souls Day.

November 11th, Veteran's day (<<<----Hency my Buuuuurday. )

I've always wanted to celebrate El Dia De Los Muertos en Mexico. There's NOTHING like it. I've always seen it on T.V. and go, "Damn, I wish I was there".

You see all these people going to el pantion (cemetary) taking flowers, food, decorations for their loved ones who have died. They even sell candy in shape of Skulls (neat huh? ). It just looks SOOOO MUCH FUN!
Old 10-27-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I was too small to remember.

I'm trying to do my best to get the holiday like that over on this side.
Old 10-27-2004
Supporter
Veterano

^^^I think they do that at The Placita Olvera. Member I told you about that place, tec?

Un dia iremos, K?
Old 10-27-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Oh yeah. You told me, but I want it to be in different areas other than LA. It's always LA and I want to spread it to other places than LA bc everyone who wants to be in the movement wants to move to LA instead of trying it where they live.
Old 10-27-2004
Estudiante

Send a message via AIM to XEsAMoReNiTaX695 Send a message via Yahoo to XEsAMoReNiTaX695

Over here my family dosnt do anything...but one time i was in Mexico on that day, and we went to the cementery and we fixed my abuelitos grave...and some of my other family members graves...it was fun...and out side they were selling dulses y chicharones and mangos with chile sal, y limon and also elotes and other kind of fruit...damn now i want some.... and i was lil so i couldnt go dancing but i gusse they had some bailes...and my sister say they were really fun...o and en la plaza i think they have like a carnavel and they sell food.
Old 10-27-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
Oh yeah. You told me, but I want it to be in different areas other than LA. It's always LA and I want to spread it to other places than LA bc everyone who wants to be in the movement wants to move to LA instead of trying it where they live.
^^^Pero, PERO, NO TE ENOOOOOOOJES!
Old 10-27-2004
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita
I've always wanted to celebrate El Dia De Los Muertos en Mexico. There's NOTHING like it. I've always seen it on T.V. and go, "Damn, I wish I was there".

You see all these people going to el pantion (cemetary) taking flowers, food, decorations for their loved ones who have died. They even sell candy in shape of Skulls (neat huh? ). It just looks SOOOO MUCH FUN!
I've seen and heard about how beautiful it is. Its nothing compare to the U.S halloween day. I wish one I could be over there in mi pueblito en dia de los dead

Old 10-27-2004
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita

yea...
I've seen and heard about how beautiful it is. Its nothing compare to the U.S halloween day. I wish one I could be over there in mi pueblito en dia de los dead

Old 10-27-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Y cual pueblito es ese, Zero?
Old 10-27-2004
mexican

I GO VSIT THE GRAVES UP IN THE CEREMONY THAN I GO TO THIS BIG ASS CARNIVAL OR WHATEVER IT IS AND PAY MY RESPECTS AND JUST HAVE A GOOD TIME..ITS REALLY FUN..BUT ALSO SAD...RIP EVERYONE THAT DIES
Old 10-27-2004
Travieso

Acatlipa, Morelos

10 mins de Cuernavaca, Morelos
Old 10-27-2004
deleted user [001]

I celebrate with photographs, candles and a visit to their graves. I focus on the good and happy times. Luckily, I will be with my loved ones on that day. It is a very sad and private time for the family.
Old 10-28-2004
Krissy

There is going to be poetry readings and a celebration at my school this year.....

I'll sometimes go to the Placita Olvera (here in L.A. Olvera St) it's a lot of fun to see the costumes, skull faces, and danzas.... hopefully I can make it this year!
Old 10-28-2004
The one and only
Presidente

That's cool. I'm bought my make up for this event. Going to practice tomorrow for our performance.
Old 11-01-2004
*Mr*Manuel

I've never celebrated it....
Old 11-01-2004
Gunner

Nothing really,since my dad is burried in LA so I just reminisse(sp?) on the good times we had
Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Yesterday was an early dia de los muertos. I bought Pan de Muerto. I went to the dia de los muertos event late and I a lot of people left, but we still played anyway. The people who were there loved it.
Old 11-01-2004
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

I went to the dia de los muertos fruitvale celebration in oakland.
http://www.unitycouncil.org/dia2004/

It's a family tradition of mine to celebrate dia de los muertos. We build an altar and put pictures of family who has passed. We also get a batch of pan de muerto from a relative that knows how to make it.

Of course the experience in the US is nothing like celebrating in Mexico. I miss Mexico
Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I miss Mexico also. I haven't been to Jalisco or Michoacan since '99. Tijuana, I go there, not to drink, but because I have family there.