Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 11-09-2010
Fresh Meat!

Default Am I Chicano?

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this site. I found this site after searching for some good cumbias on google. Having read some of the posts on here I had to question myself, how would you view me. I am half Bolivian and half Mexican. I never met my biological father which was Mexican so i didn't grow up really thinking I am Mexican, never went through any of the customs (except the food). Although I always knew that i have Mexican blood in me. I grew up is Southern Ca so the majority of people i grew up with were Mexican, and only one family that is Bolivian that my mom knew since she came here.

So back to my question. I've read some posts where some people are a little extreme, just my opinion. Do you only want full blooded Mexican generations here on this site? Would you accept my views on this forum? When people ask me where im from i always say Bolivia first, i didn't have that Mexican culture. Although that is not where i am from, i am fron California, thats where my family is from.

No soy ni de aqui ni de alla.
Old 11-09-2010
Director

Default Re: Am I Chicano?

If you asked me, I'd consider you a Chicano since you are of Mexican descent, have grown up with an influence of other Raza (friends, food, CA vibe, etc.), and from what I can tell at least, you don't seem like you'd reject being called Mexican.
Old 11-09-2010
Gunner

If mencia can call himself a Chicano, so can you...
Old 11-09-2010
Director

You are a beaner.
Old 11-09-2010
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

I dont think your "blood" percentage labels you a chicano. It really comes down to what you would do with the name?

Do you want to be chicano just to post on this site? Well ya dont have too be chicano to post on this site, regardless of what others have said or say.

Do you want to say your chicano to fit in your surrounding area? You shouldnt have to and you shouldnt care.

Do you want to call yourself chicano because your proud of the culture, people, history, and care about its problems and advances? That to me, is the only question that matters.
Old 11-09-2010
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Californio View Post
If you asked me, I'd consider you a Chicano since you are of Mexican descent, have grown up with an influence of other Raza (friends, food, CA vibe, etc.), and from what I can tell at least, you don't seem like you'd reject being called Mexican.
x2.

Also, welcome to soy. Hopefully, you stick around.
Old 11-09-2010
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
I dont think your "blood" percentage labels you a chicano. It really comes down to what you would do with the name?

Do you want to be chicano just to post on this site? Well ya dont have too be chicano to post on this site, regardless of what others have said or say.

Do you want to say your chicano to fit in your surrounding area? You shouldnt have to and you shouldnt care.

Do you want to call yourself chicano because your proud of the culture, people, history, and care about its problems and advances? That to me, is the only question that matters.
I'd actually have to agree with Nelio here.

If you want to call yourself a Chicano, don't look to anyone else but yourself for that validation.

Welcome to Soy as well

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 11-09-2010
Veterano

Y'all make some good points.

Bone Meter: 31

Shes a superfreak! Superfreak! Shes superfreaky...yeah!!!

'She put a spell on me!!"
Old 01-12-2011
Fresh Meat!

If your asking if your Chicano, your def Chicano, ha ha. I think all Chicanos have wondered the same question before, right?
Old 01-12-2011
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
I am all those things, yet don't consider myself Chicano.

Labels are just that...
Old 06-20-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuyo View Post
Hello everyone. I am brand new to this site. I found this site after searching for some good cumbias on google. Having read some of the posts on here I had to question myself, how would you view me. I am half Bolivian and half Mexican. I never met my biological father which was Mexican so i didn't grow up really thinking I am Mexican, never went through any of the customs (except the food). Although I always knew that i have Mexican blood in me. I grew up is Southern Ca so the majority of people i grew up with were Mexican, and only one family that is Bolivian that my mom knew since she came here.

So back to my question. I've read some posts where some people are a little extreme, just my opinion. Do you only want full blooded Mexican generations here on this site? Would you accept my views on this forum? When people ask me where im from i always say Bolivia first, i didn't have that Mexican culture. Although that is not where i am from, i am fron California, thats where my family is from.

^Welcome to SoyChicano, by the way. There are all types of people in here. I'm sure if you provide your views on here, there will be those who will agree or disagree with you.

Hope to see you around the forums.
Old 06-20-2011
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

One of the beauties of claiming to be Chicano is that you might not be but you are anyway me intiendes Mendes?

The only person who can say you are or aren't is you.

One of the first things I came to realize as I learned about myself and being Chicano is that the whole idea of "Chicano" as an identity is based on the right of self determination. The right to decide for ourselves that other terms or labels, if you will, are inadequate to define us is ours and ours alone. I choose Chicano because that's what I identify with. I claim Chicano because it's me.. not the other way around.

So to answer your question in a manner of speaking is only you can say.. and it's up to you to decide.. YOU and only you can exercise your right of self determination.. to determine for yourself who you are and who you want the world to see you as. Anything else would be being untrue to yourself.

Last edited by ChicanoDan; 06-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2011
Travieso

Good points from everyone, nice topic! My heart tells me I'm a chicana and I feel good about that! When I tell others I'm a Chicana I feel a strong sense of pride and a certain awareness of who I am, where I come from and where I'd like to see myself going as a woman, as a half Mexican half Italian woman! I think my poem "I felt, I saw, I was" says it best!

I felt Mexica today
she whispered into my ear
I saw her lovely skin
I felt her Indigenous power

I saw Mexica today
my eyes filled with tears
some of joy of the exchange
some of fear for their burdens

I was Mexica today
we touched, exchanged words
exchanged glances and smiles
we were for one moment akin

My heart beat Mexica today
my blood pumped as I came alive
under the beautiful dark gaze
of my beautiful and Indigenous people

I am Mexica today and everyday
even though my light skin whispers
of a mixing of European blood
my heart beats Mexica
my eyes cry Mexica
my lips whisper Mexica

Ometeotl keep my Mexica safe
give our people the strength to rise up
to fight once again in the spirit of Cuauhtmoc
in the spirit of Villa and Zapata

Copyrights 2006-2011 Chicahuac Necahuatl
Old 06-21-2011
Supporter
Veterano

^Love it!
Old 06-22-2011
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuyo View Post

Being a Chicano is not a birth right or something so superficial is measured on how much "blood" of something you have.

Being a Chicano is a set of values, it means you want to learn and be part of the indigenous culture, it means you are against gringo Imperialism in particular and all forms of colonialism and exploitation in particular.

Plus I consider it an honor to have a Bolivian decent people here, the movement over there is so much more advanced and has achieved so much more than here. So hats off to you!
Old 03-15-2012
Fresh Meat!

I've always seen being Chicana/o as a choice. It's a political identify that reflects acknowledgement and pride in your diverse roots (that include but are not limited to Indigenous). And for me, most importantly, it means a commitment to always giving back to your community and other oppressed communities.
Old 03-16-2012
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shateredsoul View Post
I've always seen being Chicana/o as a choice. It's a political identify that reflects acknowledgement and pride in your diverse roots (that include but are not limited to Indigenous). And for me, most importantly, it means a commitment to always giving back to your community and other oppressed communities.
I've never liked the notion that being Chicano is a "political" Identity.

I believe that the misconception stems from the 60's and the thought that Chicanismo was born from that era.

While the 60's and the political tidal wave of the era helped grow and awaken some sense of self and cultural identity.. focused it if you will.. even so much as identifying it and giving it a name...Chicanismo at it's roots is cultural. Predating by far any political movement and having roots in indigenous ways, traditions, and people.

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 07-22-2014
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

bump