Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 10-06-2005
Karlos

Default Lesbianism: an Act of Resistance

Lesbianism: an Act of Resistance
by Chery Clarke (African-American feminist)

For a woman to be a lesbian in a male-supremacist, capitalist, misogynist, racist, homophobic, imperalist culture, such as that of North America, is an act of resistance. (A resistance that should be championed throughout the world by all the forces struggling forliberation from the same slave master.) No matter how a woman lives out her lesbianism - in the closet, in the state legislature, in the bedroom - she has rebelled against becoming the slave master's concubine, viz. the male-dependent female, the female heterosexual. This rebellion is dangerous business in patriarchy. Men at all levels of priviledge, of all classes and colors have the potential to act out legalistically, moralistically, and violently when they cannot colonize women, when they cannot circumscribe our sexual, productive, reproductive, creative prerogatives and energies. And the lesbian - that woman who, as Judy Grahn says, "has taken a woman lover" - has succeeded in resisting the slave master's imperalism in that one sphere of her life. The lesbian has decolonized her body. She has rejected a life of servitude implicit in Western, heterosexual relationships and has accepted the potential of mutality in a lesbian relationship - roles notwithstanding.

======================================

This is only the first paragraph of her writing, the rest of it can be found in the book "This bridge called my back: Writings by Radical Women of Color"

Editors:
Cherie Moraga
Gloria Anzaldua

Foreword:
Toni Cade Bambara
Old 10-06-2005
Travieso

i dont get this...is she implying that lesbian women choose to be gay..thus r not born that way.

this validates the "radical christian" claim that gay ppl choose to be so and that they can be fixed.

this statement undermines the whole conjecture of the gay rights movement.

A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Frederick Nietzsche

There is something feeble and contemptible about a man who cannot face life without the help of comfortable myths.
Bertrand Russell

California Alumni - class of 2006. Go Bears!
Old 10-06-2005
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

I dont think it does.

I see where she is coming from......
Im brown and by never denying that to myself i am resisisting the outside society.....

shes lesbian and by not denying that to herself she is resisting the heterosexist society.....it an act of resistance.....

Basically staying true to who you are is an act of resistance...thas how i interpret this....

i dont think she is saying all women should become lesbian in order to resist the heterosexist/ sexist society that would just be stupid....
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 10-06-2005
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to da_payaso

No..I think it's just one of those He-Woman, Man haters.....and I say that because she referrs to men as 'the slave master'...so yeah, that's my opinion..
-Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Inc.-
http://www.lambda1975.org
The FIRST Latino's Down!!
Old 10-06-2005
Veterano

THE AUTHOR IS A LESBIAN?
- SD (Butterfingers)
Soldier is my crazyyy freak
SJ is my favorite mod!
Old 10-06-2005
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

I would wonder if any other lesboians feel this way, i am sure there are some, but i wonder what the majority feels. I know this is about herself, the author i mean, BUT she can not speak for everyone.

ANd payaso has a point, she considered the man as slave masters, which is wrong, but oh well. She does seem like nothing but a man-hater. You can be a lesbian withoutb being a man-hater.
Old 10-06-2005
Karlos

Yes she's an african american lesbian. It was written a long time ago, at least before 1983. I know females will think that a male has no say in this kind of issue but I think they could benefit from a male's point of view regardless if they agree or not. Anyway.

I don't believe lesbianism is a form of resistance because for one, you need numbers to defeat the system, the corrupt people running it. You need to influence the minds of others, of your own children especially, other children. Who will one day take everything with a grain of salt and stand up to the corrupt power structure. Where would you be? Even as a lesbian if your parents did not procreate? Would there be people fighting against the system if they resorted to this kind of thinking?

Im not trying to turn this into an endless discussion of what came first, the chicken or the egg? BTW the answer to that is the egg came first, if you believe in the theory of evolution of course. Going further.

You are only defeating your own people, your own kind when you refuse to procreate. and I only say this if you CHOOSE to be a lesbian, If you are born being one, you are blessed, you are beautiful. You should not be ashamed of being so. You are only being who you ARE. You shouldn't change your sexuality which is yours to control because of what other opinions are.

and no Liz, just because one acknowledges they are lesbian doesn't mean they are resisting the system, it means they are accepting who they are. They are proud of it. So how, accepting and protecting the fact that you're brown, is resisting the system?
Old 10-06-2005
you never know...
Veterano

because the system says...if you want to succeed is not ok to be brown...assimilate.....and they tried to make us assimilate by not letting people speak spanish and by not letting us learn about our culture...Its not the mainstream and its not what america preaches.

so the fact that i refuse to dye my hair blond and that i dont want to wear the green contacts (even though i have them) and the fact that sometimes i choose to express myself in Spanish and that I want there to be chicano education in schools so that i can learn about my beautiful brown system....those are all acts of resistance i am resiting the mainstream society's pull...

I guess the real question here is what is an act of resistance?????

for me simply being yourself and loving yourself can be the ultimate act...

_ IT
Old 10-06-2005
Karlos

About the assimilation yes if you resort to learning your own history is resisting the system, but like I said, its just being who you are. The spanish issue is a little different however, as it was the native ancestors who "assimilated" by speaking spanish, the conqueror's language.

The dying your hair blonde. What do you think of females who do highlights?

I guess in some way being who you are is an act of resistance, from a radical point of view which is nothing wrong really. But answer me this, if we were in Mexico doing what we are doing, is it an act of resistance? I don't think so, it may be an act of resistance in a culture that attempts to assimilate its population and succeeds for the most part as here.

What is an act of resistance? It differs from society to society.
Old 10-06-2005
Travieso

liz i disagree...the statement clearly sez that even a women in the closet, meaning hiding her sexual preference to the outside world, is being resistant.

this is parallel to a mexican being chicano at home and with other raza but being "hispano" and assimilating newhere else...how is that being resistant?

A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Frederick Nietzsche

There is something feeble and contemptible about a man who cannot face life without the help of comfortable myths.
Bertrand Russell

California Alumni - class of 2006. Go Bears!
Old 10-06-2005
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Quote:
for me simply being yourself and loving yourself can be the ultimate act...
You said something along the same line as this a few posts earlier.
That is what I pereived the overall message from the initial post to be as well. And I wholeheartedly agree with your above statement.
But like always Im sure we all could argue about the deatils.
Old 10-17-2005
you never know...
Veterano

Quim: yea we can always argue about the details...

and

Zapatasblood...i think if u do want to become a lawyer you will be a really good one cuz you can always find the hole in the argument....

Yea i thought about this too when i read the quote..
but i still think that even as a hispanic you are distancing yourself from the white mainstream...so in a way your resisting..
and even as an in-the-closet lesbian you being a lesbian even if its not for the whole world to know ur no longer denying it.....

But i do think there are different levels of resistnace...being in the closet may not be the ultimate level but its one step closer.....

_ IT
Old 11-03-2011
Director

Default Re: Lesbianism: an Act of Resistance

lesbump

Old 04-11-2012
Director

Default Re: Lesbianism: an Act of Resistance

I think I speak for all men when I say
Old 02-07-2014
Prospect

Talking Re: Lesbianism: an Act of Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Lesbianism: an Act of Resistance
by Chery Clarke (African-American feminist)

For a woman to be a lesbian in a male-supremacist, capitalist, misogynist, racist, homophobic, imperalist culture, such as that of North America, is an act of resistance. (A resistance that should be championed throughout the world by all the forces struggling forliberation from the same slave master.) No matter how a woman lives out her lesbianism - in the closet, in the state legislature, in the bedroom - she has rebelled against becoming the slave master's concubine, viz. the male-dependent female, the female heterosexual. This rebellion is dangerous business in patriarchy. Men at all levels of priviledge, of all classes and colors have the potential to act out legalistically, moralistically, and violently when they cannot colonize women, when they cannot circumscribe our sexual, productive, reproductive, creative prerogatives and energies. And the lesbian - that woman who, as Judy Grahn says, "has taken a woman lover" - has succeeded in resisting the slave master's imperalism in that one sphere of her life. The lesbian has decolonized her body. She has rejected a life of servitude implicit in Western, heterosexual relationships and has accepted the potential of mutality in a lesbian relationship - roles notwithstanding. It is knowledge that will eventually triumph over the straight majority. It is a scientific fact that the gay/transgender community was born that way naturally. The question that the majority needs to ask itself is this, "why would any rationale human being choose a lifestyle that makes them a pariah of society unless they were born that way?" No one is perfect, we all have our stereotypes and prejudices. As far as my own prejudices against the gay community, they are the obviously effeminate male and the obviously masculine female. However, I admit that that is my own ignorance that I am working on hard to overcome through knowledge and understanding. Anyone who claims that they are free of any prejudice is a liar. Life is a journey of learning

======================================

This is only the first paragraph of her writing, the rest of it can be found in the book "This bridge called my back: Writings by Radical Women of Color"

Editors:
Cherie Moraga
Gloria Anzaldua

Foreword:
Toni Cade Bambara
Hello