Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Artist's Lounge > The Director's Chair

The Director's Chair A forum for those new and upcoming movie producers. Professional and Amateur.

Old 04-16-2008
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to megustahoy Send a message via Yahoo to megustahoy
Default Adobe Premiere Vs. Final Cut Pro

I've never used Premiere, I've used FCP and loved it. I'm going to be getting CS3 and am considering getting the Master's Collection which includes Premiere. At first I'd planned on getting CS3 Design premium, and FCP later down the line which would have cost me around $900 total (with student discount).

I can get CS3 Master's Collection and have all of the great adobe programs in design premium plus all of the video editing software as well for a mere $500.

My question is, is this good reasoning? Will I have a hard time learning premiere? Will premiere have everything that FCP has?
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default Re: Adobe Premiere Vs. Final Cut Pro

what are you planning to edit? what are your plans for it?
Old 04-16-2008
Gunner

I don't have astounding plans right now. I've did some video for an event put on by a non-profit, I also have some old family videos, and some old events/protests/concert videos that I would love to edit... I can most likely do all this on imovie, but it would be nice to go back to re-learning and fine tuning my editing skills.

If you go here: http://www.admissions.ucsb.edu/Publi...sAndVideos.asp
check out "Realizing your Potential." I worked on the editing of the video with some classmates.

Last edited by megustahoy; 04-16-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

master collection or production bundle. I think the production bundle is like 500 and the master is more like 1000(without student discount it's at like 2000)

I left premiere a long time ago. Went with a program called vegas, which was later bought by sony. Premiere 6.5 at the time, was a complete nightmare and I was very happy with leaving it behind me.

It is my understanding the premiere now is pretty good. Adobe got their act together and completely rebuilt it since cs1

Final cut is great. It's my editor of choice(besides avid) The only thing right now that adobe's production bundle has over final cut studio is blu-ray authoring. I can't believe apple has not upgraded dvd studio pro to allow blu-ray authoring. /end rant

If you are not working in HD, then this is a non-issue but I mention it, just in case.

Now with both adobe's and apple pro video solution, you can't go wrong but I might suggest you take a look at final cut express. it's less expensive and you might not need all the bells and whistles the pro apps give you. I would only recommend FCP studio if you are seriously planning to do professional work with it. Otherwise I'd recommend final cut express. Which is a solid editing application. There is still learning to do but it's not going to be as overwhelming. if you used final cut pro before, you'll pick it back up in no time. It's the exact same program minus some of the pro features that you most likely never use anyways.

take a look at final cut express. From what you describe, this might be all you need.
Old 04-16-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Yeah like SJ said, Express and Pro are really similar, minus a few whistles i think. We used both at school.

At work we use Premiere. BUt i think it is 6.0. If ya know final cut, it wont take to much to pick up Premiere. LIke i said i trained on Final Cut and then went over to premiere. It wasnt much of a change. I personally like Final CUt better, even if i havent used it in a while, but i could go with either. Especially if ur using a newer version of Premiere, ours at work SUCKS ASS, but it really is the computers, lol.
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

You use premiere 6.0 at your work???? I think it's time to upgrade. heck premiere elements is probably a lot more stable than that piece of trash that is 6.0 or even 6.5. Don't you work at a news station? I figured they'd use more advanced software like fcp or even avid.

anyways, I just did a price check and yes the master collection is more like 1000 and the production suite is like 600(student discount)

final cut studio is 700'ish and final cut express is 200. I am not sure if they offer a student discount on express. if so I'd say it'll be 10%

Since the production bundle comes with other great software and if you need the latest version of photoshop, then getting that suite might be better choice. More bang for your buck.

if you don't need those other apps, then a good workflow can be made between final cut express and idvd.

and that's my final answer
Old 04-16-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
You use premiere 6.0 at your work???? I think it's time to upgrade. heck premiere elements is probably a lot more stable than that piece of trash that is 6.0 or even 6.5. Don't you work at a news station? I figured they'd use more advanced software like fcp or even avid.
haha, you have never talked to a news person have ya? Lol, most news station spend as little money ass possible. Meaning upgrades are usually done waaaaaaaaaaaay later, lol. We also still use tape to tape editing. But that comes in handy.

SO yeah, the newer premiere might be better then 6.0.
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

tape to tape????? get the hell outta here.

that's insane! there should be a labor law against that now!
Old 04-16-2008
Gunner

Quote:
master collection or production bundle. I think the production bundle is like 500 and the master is more like 1000(without student discount it's at like 2000)
Adobe and the CSU have a special contract where anyone affiliated with CSU can get the programs for super cheap...So you're right the normal price for the master collection is $2500, for any other student or company it is $1000, but for folks affiliated with the CSU (my husband is a student at SFSU) then it is $500 (it's called the "student licensing option"--you basically just get the discs with none of the manuals), which is an extremely good deal for all the software you get.

Quote:
It is my understanding the premiere now is pretty good. Adobe got their act together and completely rebuilt it since cs1
I did a little bit of research and it seems as though Adobe kinda stopped doing any updates to premiere, especially after they stopped making it for macs back in '03. Since then they've complete re-built it and it's suppose to be a whole lot better.

The interface is very similar to FCP which should make it easier to get used to as well.

Quote:
The only thing right now that adobe's production bundle has over final cut studio is blu-ray authoring.
The full integration with the adobe suite is another good thing, if you use any adobe programs in your editing, and I've always wanted to fool around with AfterEffects. I know the integration with FCP is superb too, but one of the things that I found in my research is the the integration w/in adobe applications astounded even the FCP users, and it was a very important attribute to them.

Quote:
I can't believe apple has not upgraded dvd studio pro to allow blu-ray authoring. /end rant
I heard a rumor that when Apple redesigns their computer's aesthetics they will also be releasing a super drive capable of burning blue-ray discs, they're expecting the release date to be in early 2009. They say the MacBook Pro line may take on some of the features of the new Imacs (that nice sleek black on metal look). Anyway...your desires will soon be met.

Anyway the superb deal on the Adobe Master's Collection is really making it hard to pass it by. I mean FCP Studion 2 alone would be $579 (and I most likely won't use any of the other programs that it comes with). We are already planning on getting one of the CS3 (design premium) bundles which run for around $300 (for the student licensing option), so tacking on another $200 for a whole bunch of editing software (not just premiere, but after effects and others) isn't too bad (especially considering FC Express is $200 for just a video editing software).

So I think we're going with the Master's Collection choice. My main concern was spending that extra $200 and not liking premiere at all. But I don't think that'll be the case. Adobe is really serious about competing with Apple for the video editing market, so if anything I think premiere will be more than suitable and could possibly even blow FCP out of the water in the future. (wishful thinking)

Last edited by megustahoy; 04-16-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by megustahoy View Post
. I did a little bit of research and it seems as though Adobe kinda stopped doing any updates to premiere
that's right. premiere versions previous to cs3 were non-existent on the mac.

Quote:
The full integration with the adobe suite is another good thing, if you use any adobe programs in your editing, and I've always wanted to fool around with AfterEffects.
You are going to get a kick out of this. But my current workflow involves after effects on the pc and final cut on the mac. And I have not had any issues or problems. I do it because of a video card that is only available on the pc side and because I prefer AE over motion, it's just what I've been using since version 5.0. I'll probably get a smoother(not necessarily better) workflow if I used AE and premiere on the mac, but for me editing on FCP is a necessity. There are things that exist on FCP that are done better on it than on premiere. At least in my opinion.

Quote:
I heard a rumor that when Apple redesigns their computer's aesthetics they will also be releasing a super drive capable of burning blue-ray discs, they're expecting the release date to be in early 2009. They say the MacBook Pro line may take on some of the features of the new Imacs (that nice sleek black on metal look). Anyway...your desires will soon be met.
I've heard those rumors too. I heard them back last year as a matter of fact and put off buying a mbp because of them. Finally bit the bullet and bought one last october. Thinking if they did, I could just upgrade my macpro.

There still hasn't been an announcement and apple cancelled going to NAB. I have no clue what is going on with apple. I hope it's done very soon. I was hoping to start delivering in bluray this year. But I'll have to wait. But I can't wait too long. I might be forced to go the adobe route and buy a 3rd party bluray burner just so I can author in encore. Which wouldn't be so bad. i could just upgrade the video card to the 8800 which is now available thanks to the latest macpro update and I'll be able to run AE within OSx.

Whatever apple comes out with, it better be worth the wait but most importantly it better be soon! but enough of that, I can go on an on about that particular subject.

yeah if you go with the master collection, I really can't see you regretting that. Especially at such a inexpensive price. but you might be a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff you are getting.
Old 04-16-2008
Gunner

Quote:
There are things that exist on FCP that are done better on it than on premiere. At least in my opinion.
Could you elaborate just a bit more. I've been trying to look for reviews/comparisons of FCP and PPro, but to no avail, I don't know if I'm searching the wrong thing or what. But I would like to know what some of these things are, not because It'll change my mind, but simply because I want to know what to expect.

Quote:
but you might be a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff you are getting.
I can definitely see this happening, I just have to remind myself that I have a while to learn them and an even longer while to master them... That way I won't get too frustrated with myself for not learning fast enough. Do you know of any good forums or instruction sites for the programs in this bundle (photoshop, dreamweaver, illustrator, aftereffects and premiere in particular).

And yeah technology rumors always leave you feeling like your hearing nails scratching a blackboard (like that rumor of the new 5D)...but I think this one should be coming short, not just because it's been a while since they've been talking about creating a Blue Ray capable machine, but also because it's been a while since they redesigned their prototype and what better time to do it than when they also introduce a whole new and exciting dvd drive.
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by megustahoy View Post
Could you elaborate just a bit more. I've been trying to look for reviews/comparisons of FCP and PPro, but to no avail, I don't know if I'm searching the wrong thing or what. But I would like to know what some of these things are, not because It'll change my mind, but simply because I want to know what to expect.
Well it's tough for me to make a fair comparison since I don't have that much experience with premiere cs3. I think this is why you don't see many comparisons. To trully get a good comparison, one would have to take the time to learn FCP and premiere fully.

But I'll try but keep in mind, my comparison is a bit unfair because my experience with FCP far exceeds my experience with premiere.

one off the top of my head is smooth cam. Yes, you can do this in after effects but even after effects stabalizer is not as as advance as final cut pro's smooth cam. which was imported from shake(great compositor)

Next is multi cam editing. I can edit a 3 cam shoot very quickly and efficiently. Very intuitive and easy to setup.

prores. This is an awesome codec. rumor has it apple will make it available to other editors but right now, FCP is the only that can do it.

I can cut a lot faster on FCP. Speed is key for me. I am sure if I use premiere long enough, i can get faster.

color correction. I prefer FCP's color correction tools over premiere's

Integration. yes premiere has great intergration with dvd encore & photoshop but FCP has great integration with color, dvd studio pro, soundtrack pro and compressor. Personally I prefer dvd studio pro over encore(minus the lack of bluray authoring)

Quote:
Do you know of any good forums or instruction sites for the programs in this bundle (photoshop, dreamweaver, illustrator, aftereffects and premiere in particular).
for forums, there is no place other than creative cow.net There are a lot of helpful people on there and there is a forum for just about any software you can think of. I post there from time to time and the various forums.

For training, I would suggest training videos. personally I learn better this way than by reading. For inexpensive solution, you can try lynda.com. They have a lot of training on there. For a mere 20 a month, you have access to their entire training library. Some good stuff on there. It's a steal and a real bargain that you have access to so much information for such a small price. The year plan will save you even more money.

This is far cheaper than the one on one training which can run around $500 for the set of DVD's
Old 04-16-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

i just checked out that video. Do you know cecilia pulido? we graduated highschool together! what a small world.
Old 04-16-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUGZ642 View Post
off topic:
you are ucsb alumni? that school is bad ass? My carnala went there.
I can see why you'd be inspired to take pics and vids.
Yeah I graduated in '04. Santa Barbara is a beautiful place to go to school. I got into video there, but photography I just started doing this year. I wish I had been a photo junkie then too, I'd have some great pictures. What's your sister's name?

Quote:
i just checked out that video. Do you know cecilia pulido? we graduated highschool together! what a small world.
I didn't quite know everyone in the video. Some of the people we interviewed I knew personally, but cecilia is one of the people that I met solely because we were doing this video. I think she's a friend of one of the other crew members. This was a very fun video to make, I don't think anyone saw the end results, so if you keep in touch with cecilia you should definitely forward her the link.