Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 09-20-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Un Hombre con Palabra…

Circulo De Hombres Philosophy

Un Hombre con Palabra…

· Has Palabra

· Is a positive ejemplo to others

· Takes Responsabilidad for his acciones

· In Lak’Ech- Does not hurt himself or others

These are four things that I promised to do when I first got into what I'm into back in '00...
Old 09-20-2004
Maestro

what do you mean by "has palabra" ?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell (copied from the most honorable KA)
Old 09-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

palabra means word. That someone who has word. That they promise.
Old 09-22-2004
Estudiante

Send a message via ICQ to la_bonita_16 Send a message via AIM to la_bonita_16 Send a message via Yahoo to la_bonita_16

I think it's cool that you're still sticking to your word. Alot of people tend to change their views over time. It's cool that you're sticking to your word and being yourself.
Old 09-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I do it because it's me.
Old 05-22-2006
Veterano

Default Re: Un Hombre con Palabra…

Wow, Tec............I hope there is one for women.......

And if there isn't ther should be...........I'm gonna go look for it.

And YES, I understand what you mean, when you say men arent men anymore.
I've been in the presence of men.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 05-22-2006
Estudiante

ummmmmmm i dont get this can sombody explain it plz? this is like that chinese wise men stuff huh?

iMPERFECTiON iS BEAUTY, MADNESS iS GENiUS, & iTS BETTER TO BE ABSOLUTELY RiDiCULOUS THAN BE ABSOLUTELY BORiNG
-marilyn monroe

www.myspace.com/t3ar_drop
Old 05-22-2006
Fresh Meat!

N-e-wayz 3@$T ()@K!@nd
Old 05-22-2006
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

wat?? ^^ of topic...

anyways he is sayin ke los hombres ya no son hombres {they are turnin gay} just playin

okay like when they promise sumtin no cumplen.. {breakin promises} he is sayin he sticks to his word si lo promete lo cumple..

ps.. remember u promised me 1000 dollars... j..p .. lol

Old 05-22-2006
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

I use this expression when someone tries to back off from what they've said. I ask them, "Tienes palabra de hombre?" or I also ask to confirm what they are saying is true or closing a deal, "Palabra de hombre?" if they say yes, then I am confident that what they are saying is true.

That's better than a handshake most of the time.
Old 05-22-2006
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

lol funny you should mention that. but a man que tiene una palabra de mujer, will not be taken seriously. Not sure why that is... I'll have to think about that for a second...
Old 05-22-2006
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to Chicahua Send a message via Yahoo to Chicahua

This is sweet! Yes at one time the spoken word was more valuable then any amount of money or treasure. I've seen clothes fashions come back around maybe the fashion of men being real men and women being real women will come back into style wow!

"Take away the language, you take away the culture,
take away the culture, take away the power,
you are lost!" B&RInk
Old 05-22-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareli
ummmmmmm i dont get this can sombody explain it plz? this is like that chinese wise men stuff huh?
It's not Chinese but actually Mexican.

This is just 4 basic rules on a boy to be a man. I'll break it down:

Un Hombre con Palabra…

· Has Palabra
A man who does what he says. He does not lie. Always tells the truth bc that is what a man does. One "sacred" thing among most Mexicans. Practically what SJ said. Eres un hombre de palabra?

· Is a positive ejemplo to others
A man must be a positive example to others. I guess I'll use an example on a fictional person, lets say there is this guy who goes to college, gets his degree and does something positive with it for the people who is humble and does not get cocky. That is a person who is a person who is showing a positive example to others. He is not some idiot who gang bangs who thinks it's cool, who drink, does drugs, etc... (you get the point).

· Takes Responsabilidad for his acciones
Takes action for his actions (including accidents and mistakes.). I guess to make this into a simple form is you and your little brother or sister are wrestling in the house and you break something (this has happened to me a lot. Trust me. It's possible.). Since you are the oldest and the one who did it, then you take responsibility.

· In Lak’Ech- Does not hurt himself or others
In Lak’Ech comes from the Mayan Philosphy which means in exact translation "I am you and you are me." To summarize what it means in todays day and time, it just means, treat others the way you want to be treated. How can I get respect from you if I don't respect you? etc...

I have a few shirts with this on the back with four Tezcatlipoca, each on the four directions. I see these shirts as sacred, and if I gave one of them to you (I have once. The kid did the complete opposite of what the shirt says. In case I give one of these shirts in the future, accept it if you're going to do the four points. To me, this is no game and I would hate to see this type of shirt on a guy who will be doing negative things. I want to give it to a true man con palabra, not a boy who thinks he can. Long story to why I'm posting this. If you are reading this. I hope this message goes through. You know who you are.). Kind of had a flash back of this yesterday when I was moving and saw my shirt.
Old 03-10-2015
The one and only
Presidente

bump