Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 01-15-2014
Chicle

Default Mexican-American/Chican@ Studies High School class

Hey whats up gente, its been awhile since I been around but I'm looking for a little help from you all here. This semester I finally was able to talk a school into letting me teach MAS/Chican@ Studies as an elective, and now that I have my curriculum and syllabus fleshed out I'm going to need some more resources to actually teach the material. I have alot already (Occupied America, Drink Cultura, Chicano!, Chicanismo, Chicana Feminist Thought, and several others) but I'm looking for more high school appropriate stuff. Most of what I have came from college and I plan to use it plenty, but it can never hurt to have more materials. This is a list of the topics we will cover this semester:

Unit 1-Precolonial Anahuac
Introduction, What is a Chican@?
The Mexica, Mythology and Aztlan
Migration Southward
In Lak Ech and early Maya
Mesoamerican people
Aztec Empire
Spanish Arrival in the Americas/Review

Unit 2-Conquest-From Spain to Mexico to the US
Spanish Conquest
Mexican Independence
American Expansionism
Mexican-American War and Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
Mexican-Americans, a new national identity

Unit 3-From Mexican-American to Chicano
Zoot Suits Riots, Pachucada, early Lowriding
The Farm Worker Movement
The Chicano Movement (CM) _Introduction
CM _ Searching for Aztlan
CM_ Educational Reform
CM_Chicana Feminism
CM_ Chicano Moratorium and Brown Berets
CM_ Institutional vs Militant Ideologies

Unit 4-Contemporary Mexican-Americans and Chican@s
Immigration and Politics
Chican@ Arte (Murals, Graffiti, Spoken Word)
Chicano Rap/Hip-Hop and Music
Growing “Latino” Consciousness

So if anyone has any ideas of resources I could use or has connections in northern Colorado for people who might want to come and talk to the class I would appreciate any help. Also if there's any topics you all think might be essential to add I have a couple of extra days in my schedule in case anything comes up.

Tlazokamatli!

Like it? Thats my cholomobile lol

www.facebook.com/ElXicano27
Old 01-15-2014
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero
Default Re: Mexican-American/Chican@ Studies High School class

Zoot Suit and Always Running come to mind...
Old 01-18-2014
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

This is amazing! Congratulations on being able to teach the class, you seem more knowledgeable than I am when it come to the subject so I do not have many suggestions.

Maybe a semester project on their identity and how it changes because of your course. Perhaps a timeline or family history on who they are, where they come from and how they identify?

Old 01-20-2014
Chicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
Zoot Suit and Always Running come to mind...
Zoot Suit will definitely be in there. I completely forgot about Always Running, but that would be a perfect book since the school I'm at is basically the last stop for students before doing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
This is amazing! Congratulations on being able to teach the class, you seem more knowledgeable than I am when it come to the subject so I do not have many suggestions.

Maybe a semester project on their identity and how it changes because of your course. Perhaps a timeline or family history on who they are, where they come from and how they identify?
Thanks! It took a lot of negotiating, it still trips me out how people are so resistant to allowing this kind of material when research shows it's effectiveness, but that's a whole other debate lol.
I like the identity project, I asked them how they identified on the first day of class and got a lot of different responses, so that would be really interesting to find out.

Like it? Thats my cholomobile lol

www.facebook.com/ElXicano27
Old 02-11-2014
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPachuco91 View Post
Hey whats up gente, its been awhile since I been around but I'm looking for a little help from you all here. This semester I finally was able to talk a school into letting me teach MAS/Chican@ Studies as an elective, and now that I have my curriculum and syllabus fleshed out I'm going to need some more resources to actually teach the material. I have alot already (Occupied America, Drink Cultura, Chicano!, Chicanismo, Chicana Feminist Thought, and several others) but I'm looking for more high school appropriate stuff. Most of what I have came from college and I plan to use it plenty, but it can never hurt to have more materials. This is a list of the topics we will cover this semester:

Unit 1-Precolonial Anahuac
Introduction, What is a Chican@?
The Mexica, Mythology and Aztlan
Migration Southward
In Lak Ech and early Maya
Mesoamerican people
Aztec Empire
Spanish Arrival in the Americas/Review

Unit 2-Conquest-From Spain to Mexico to the US
Spanish Conquest
Mexican Independence
American Expansionism
Mexican-American War and Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
Mexican-Americans, a new national identity

Unit 3-From Mexican-American to Chicano
Zoot Suits Riots, Pachucada, early Lowriding
The Farm Worker Movement
The Chicano Movement (CM) _Introduction
CM _ Searching for Aztlan
CM_ Educational Reform
CM_Chicana Feminism
CM_ Chicano Moratorium and Brown Berets
CM_ Institutional vs Militant Ideologies

Unit 4-Contemporary Mexican-Americans and Chican@s
Immigration and Politics
Chican@ Arte (Murals, Graffiti, Spoken Word)
Chicano Rap/Hip-Hop and Music
Growing “Latino” Consciousness

So if anyone has any ideas of resources I could use or has connections in northern Colorado for people who might want to come and talk to the class I would appreciate any help. Also if there's any topics you all think might be essential to add I have a couple of extra days in my schedule in case anything comes up.

Tlazokamatli!
You should'nt teach "occupied america" due to the arizona controversy. There are alot of enemies who would love to drag you through the mud about class polarization and other nonsense. Stick with the pre-anglo history of our gente, or they will label you as a militant.
Old 02-12-2014
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Hey whats up gente, its been awhile since I been around but I'm looking for a little help from you all here. This semester I finally was able to talk a school into letting me teach MAS/Chican@ Studies as an elective, and now that I have my curriculum and syllabus fleshed out I'm going to need some more resources to actually teach the material. I have alot already (Occupied America, Drink Cultura, Chicano!, Chicanismo, Chicana Feminist Thought, and several others) but I'm looking for more high school appropriate stuff. Most of what I have came from college and I plan to use it plenty, but it can never hurt to have more materials.
Congrats and I wish you the best of luck.

I don't want to sound like a grammar nazi, but see a few issues here:

Quote:
In Lak Ech
I have done the research and to summarize it, it's corrupted Yucatec (Maya) which has a new age origin starting with Domingo Martinez Paredez which got popular with Jose Arguelles.

Quote:
Tlazokamatli!
Tlazokamatli is saying thank you to someone who isn't there.

Tazocamatic (or Tazokamatik) is saying thanks to

To summarize it, I spent a long time trying to find out the origin of where everyone got Mexica Tiahui and Tlazokamatli and going person to person until I met David Vazquez who is a native Nahuatl speaker who taught those popular phrases to Chicanos. Oddly, the two phrases have been corrupted especially since Mexica Tiahui should be either "Tiahue Mexica" (Mexica let's go) or "Tayacana Mexica" (Mexica Forward).

He has written a beginners guide to Nahuatl. It comes with an audio CD which demonstrates how to pronounce words especially helps bc I have a hard way to explain the tl sound along with whispery h sound like in Cuauhtemoc.

Private message me if you want me to give you his number so you can contact him.

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out and message you anyone I think would be great.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 06-28-2014
Prospect

I actually took this before, quite interesting. :P