Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 11-01-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Tec or SJ, please educate us on what 'Pan de Muerto' is, please? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita
Tec or SJ, please educate us on what 'Pan de Muerto' is, please? Thanks!
Good question. Pan de muerto is a bread that you offer to the dead. In today's society, it's made out of flour with a "octopus" shape on top of the bed. It's either has seeds (it's the same seeds they put on hamburger buns. I forget what they are called) like the old fashion ones or sugar which is mostly everyone's favorite. After you have offered it and the dead have ate its spirit, then you can eat it. I bought one already and put it on my altar. I usually buy the sugar one, but I'm not really a seed type person.

Before the conquest, it use to be made out of corn like that did for the bread in the holiday Toxcatl except it was in the shape of a person head for dias de los muertos.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 11-01-2004
Maestro

Hi Tec Well Feliz compleanos!!

Well I used to celebrate el dia de los muertos but now we dont I dont know why... I guess my mom would get really sad over my dads death...

Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Meztli (moon),
Thanks
why would your mom get sad? It's suppose to be a happy day.

Old 11-01-2004
Maestro

You are more than welcome Tec.(I put it in the wrong thread... I didnt see the thread Suavecitita posted )

Well all this bad things happened around these days.... my dad died in november 3 1992, mi abuelito died in november 5 (dont know the year)
and all these other deaths that happened during these days so she gets really depressed... and starts saying what if they were still alive...and this other things she is really sensitive.....

she doesn't see the good side of things...

Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Oh ok. I understand now.

Old 11-01-2004
deleted user [001]

Tomorrow, after I vote, I will spend the whole day with my family.
Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

That's good. Appreiate your family to the fullest. You never know when they'll be gone...

Old 11-01-2004
deleted user [001]

That is the truth, my friend. Familia is more important than ANYTHING in this world.
Old 11-01-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I miss mine right now.

Old 11-02-2004
The one and only
Presidente

how was everyone's dia de los muertos?

Old 10-10-2005
The one and only
Presidente

bump. Will post some more stuff later.

Old 10-10-2005
Estudiante

i was born el dia de los muertos i get exited when that day comes you know en el pan de muerto on soem they have a lil guy hidden and i remember i'd always get it and they would tell me who ever got it had too buy dinner for everyone at the table i don't know if it strue or not cuz i was really young around 6-7

Old 10-10-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payazito
i was born el dia de los muertos i get exited when that day comes you know en el pan de muerto on soem they have a lil guy hidden and i remember i'd always get it and they would tell me who ever got it had too buy dinner for everyone at the table i don't know if it strue or not cuz i was really young around 6-7
I think you mixed some Dia de los Santos Reyes in that.

Old 10-10-2005
Prospect

Send a message via AIM to XxShyGirlxX Send a message via MSN to XxShyGirlxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxShyGirlxX

my fam just put una foto con una bela cuz they say q le tray una lusesita alos muertos
Old 10-10-2005
Estudiante

no dia de los santos reyes is in january and what i can recall todavia estava en vacaciones the bread wa sa rosca and they would buy it for a bout a week or so its good and i havewnt eaten it in 12 yrs i remembe reating hti sbread before las posadas

Old 10-11-2005
Fresh Meat!

From an Indigenous prespective:

"Mientras haya savia en el cerebro, el hombre pensara en sus muertos, mientras haya amor en el alma: los huesos de nuestros padres seran reliquias. Solamnete los pueblos ingrantos beben las aguas del olvido"

Unknown Author

-Tema
Old 10-11-2005
Estudiante

well over here where i live we really dont celebrate much pero maby this year i might go to mexico and visit family and im curiose to c how they celebrate it so i can bring some traditions back with me
*cuando te queria no me quisistes cuando te fuiste me dejaste triste y te reistes de mi aint it funny now u want me vete con tu mujer y olvidate de mi no soy de ti* ~~GUYS R WHATEVER FRIENDS R 4 EVER WHEN WORST COMES TO WORST MY GURLS COME FIRST ~~
Old 10-31-2005
The one and only
Presidente

bump

Old 10-12-2006
Gunner

Default Re: Dia De Los Muertos...

Tec, or any one who can answer...I read somewhere that the Aztecs celebrated Dia De Los Muertos in a month long celebration, is that true?
Old 10-12-2006
The one and only
Presidente

It was celebrated in the 9 month called Miccailhuitontli which would be end of July and early August. Months during those times were 20 days.

Old 10-14-2006
Mocoso

Send a message via Yahoo to Parasita

Since I am from Arizona, On dia De los Muertos I celebrate by driving up to Pheonix AZ to visit mis tios we celbrate by making an altar which is fairly large we display the fotos of famliy and friends who have passed. We hang those pretty paper cut out flag thingys *sorry i cant memer what they are called*
and we spend most of the day baking... then when the sun goes down we start to play music we read poerty and stuff its not only a famliy celebration but mi tio he is a local artist in the town of chandler Az and he teacher chicano history at mesa community college so he invites alot of his collegues *sp* and ex studets and students.....we make sorta of a community thing out of it.... peopel bring flower offerings and mas comida... which is my fav. part of dia de los muertos.... we also have a special ceremony and ritual chants and prayers its really beautiful and nice....
Old 10-16-2006
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
It was celebrated in the 9 month called Miccailhuitontli which would be end of July and early August. Months during those times were 20 days.
thanks. I had remembered you posting somewhere that it was originally in the summer months but I hadnt remembered how long it was.
Old 10-16-2006
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

when i was home i never really did anything...in college i have learned that Dia de Los Muertos is a very commodofied holiday and so i partake in teh commodification by making papel picado and goign to Dia De los Muertos dinner.
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 10-30-2006
The one and only
Presidente

I always wanted to go to Michoacan to a native community to see how they celebrate it. They are the one who celebrate it the most. Dia de los Muertos is a native holiday.