Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity

Identity Anything pertaining to Identity issues.

Old 03-15-2012
Fresh Meat!

Default Dressing for Academic Jobs

Hey everyone, I'm new and found these forums randomly when trying to look for a blog that looks at Latino Men's Style. I was looking for something like this, http://gentlemenstandard.blogspot.com/ but for Chicana/o Latina/o Men.

Let me introduce my self. I'm studying for my PhD in psychology, grew up in Inglewood, fam from Zacatecas, and my dad works as a Gardenere and my mom babysits kids. I was the first in my fam to go to college. I did my BA in Psych with a minor in Chicana/o Studies and Education.

Now i'm in a PhD Program in Psychology, and I'm about to teach a class for my first time.

I have a question and I was hoping to get some help and opinions. So, I don't know how to dress for the job. I want to dress professionally, but I'd like to wear something that reflects my heritage without being stereotypical. Is there such a thing?

I mean, I do own nice dressy guayaberas (my apa brought them from Mexico for me), but any other ideas? I guess I'm more conscious about this because I'm light skinned (I even have pecas), and don't like being taken as white. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that thinks about this. What does it mean to dress well as a Latina/o? Is dressing up too much selling out? What does it mean to be a Chicano Gentleman (Caballero)? I don't know if I'm over thinking this and should just dress professionally without worrying about what background people think I'm from, but it's just something I've always worried about for some reason (my early twenties = chicana/o activist shirts and jeans).

I also don't want to be all muy muy and overdressing. =/ any suggestions? Am I the only one that thinks about this stuff?

Last edited by shateredsoul; 03-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2012
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default Re: Dressing for Academic Jobs

I am going to say that it depends. It depends on the job you are interviewing for. Most of the stuff I read online about dressing with a suit and tie for interviews is completely wrong for what I do and the jobs I apply for. Thankfully I learned this prior to showing up.

it's important to do the research with people in your field of work and find out what the standard is. You might get away with being more casual or more "ethnic" during your interview.

But if you learn that the standard is a boring, suit and tie for the jobs you will be applying for. Don't stray away too far from that because you only get one chance for a good impression. It sucks that you get judged but that's just the cold reality of it all.

Save the more casual, personal look for other times(once you get the job, lol)
Old 03-15-2012
Fresh Meat!

thanks man. I forgot to mention that I already have the job. So I'm still a student, but teaching my own class at the same time. So I'm asking more about how to dress when I teach.

I know exactly what you mean by the more "ethnic" thing.. man that bugs me too.
Old 03-15-2012
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

i should have read your post more carefully. I suppose that once you've established your a professional with your students(in both dress and the way you act) You should be more free stray away from the normal business look.

some of my favorite teachers/professors did have a sense of style that fit their personalities, where they were from and what they were about. The ones that did, always seemed cooler than the ones who were always "following the rules" and I still respected them as such.
Old 03-15-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Damn SJ I was gonna say, the guy already has the job! Lol.

First off, welcome to Soy. Glad you were able to find our little community and I hope that you enjoy your time here.

As far as dressing for your class, I would recommend to dress professionally, as if you already were a professor. A pet peeve of mine while in school with PhD students who lectured my classes was that they tried to "identify" too much with the students in the class. You're in a position of authority and you shouldn't give too much leverage in how they may perceive you.

Also, dressing up is NOT selling out. Gah how I hate that association. Since when is dressing in well fitting and looking clothes a negative thing? Are all Chican@s/Latin@s incapable of dressing well? Of course not!

/rant.

lol. Either way, welcome again!

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 03-15-2012
Fresh Meat!

Yeah you know what, you're right. I remember as an undergrad some TAs who tried too hard to show how down they were. Some who just did it without making a big thing about it were cool, the others who mentioned it every time did sometimes get annoying (but still good people).

Somehow the students always figure out my background when I TA. My name and what I talk about probably gives it away. Ha ha.

I feel you about the frustration about dressing up being selling out. I don't know. I remember once I was at a conference and hanging out with other students of color, and they started making fun of people who had their business cards. Little did they know I had a bunch of business cards in my pocket. I don't get it. The selling out and dressing up thing seems to be associated with formal wear and style coming from the dominant white culture... but I don't see any alternative ways of dressing professionally.

I understand that we should challenge the system, but sometimes we have to play the game. I guess the challenge is playing the game without switching sides?

Anyways, Marshalls and Ross here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
Damn SJ I was gonna say, the guy already has the job! Lol.

First off, welcome to Soy. Glad you were able to find our little community and I hope that you enjoy your time here.

As far as dressing for your class, I would recommend to dress professionally, as if you already were a professor. A pet peeve of mine while in school with PhD students who lectured my classes was that they tried to "identify" too much with the students in the class. You're in a position of authority and you shouldn't give too much leverage in how they may perceive you.

Also, dressing up is NOT selling out. Gah how I hate that association. Since when is dressing in well fitting and looking clothes a negative thing? Are all Chican@s/Latin@s incapable of dressing well? Of course not!

/rant.

lol. Either way, welcome again!
Old 03-22-2012
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

Lol at Marshalls and Ross.

Speaking of which, I need to stop by and check out their clothes =).

My faculty advisor is from Chile and I love her sense of style. She incorporates a lot of her Chilean background as accents to her professional attire; for instance, she uses a lot of colorful, handmade jewelery and layers over her professional clothing with nice ponchos (it may sound a bit weird, but she pulls it off nicely). Because I'm a female, my perspective on incorporating Latino/Chicano(a) style with professional attire is limited to jewelery and layering. I'd suggest incorporating pops of color into your style. A belt with an Aztec/Mayan (indigenous feel to it), accenting with handmade watches, etc. and anything that gives out that traditional vibe.

Good luck on your first day of teaching!!
Old 03-22-2012
Director

Well... what class are you teaching?
Old 03-22-2012
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Nice try Freedom.
Old 03-22-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Lol at Marshalls and Ross.
It's a pain to look through the racks, but they have a good amount of good clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
I'd suggest incorporating pops of color into your style. A belt with an Aztec/Mayan (indigenous feel to it), accenting with handmade watches, etc. and anything that gives out that traditional vibe.
I like this suggestion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Nice try Freedom.

Old 03-22-2012
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Hello! I definitely think you should dress-up. Students judge you on your appearance, trust me I am an undergrad, and I definitely do it. Especially if you are a minority, and you are teaching White students, (and even other minorities), your credibility will first be based on your appearance.

As to incorporating native artifacts of clothing, I think that is great you want to do that. I agree with Nina, jewelry (to the extent that men can wear), belts, etc.

And Burlington is another store with good prices and decent clothing.

Old 03-27-2012
Fresh Meat!

So I went to the stores (whatever, I know you all shop there too ).. Marshalls was sorta expensive, you can get some of their stuff like theirs at other places when they're on special (you can thank mi jefa for that tip ) Ross was good, but took forever. I hate shopping so glad that's over with. It brings back memories of being bored to death as a kid. When I went to pay I asked the lady to hold off on one item because I'm not sure what the totals going to be. She misunderstood me so I talk to her in Spanish. She was really nice and hooked it up with a 10% discount. (I usually speak English first even if I know someone is Latina/o because I've had people get offended when I try Spanish first.)

@Nina, are you in a grad program? I dunno what I could wear. It would be great to be able to do something like your Chilean advisor, but I'm not one much for men's jewelry. Maybe un fajo piteado? but a really nice one from Mexico, not the swapmeet kind. It wouldn't be visible but I've always wanted one....

I have 3 guayabera's the same brand as seen at this ebay listing but blue, black, and one brown with white stitching http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Guayabe...#ht_500wt_1202

I'm not as worried about how I look now. Now, I'm more worried about teaching for my first time!

For the person that asked, I'm teaching an Intro writing course in the Spring and a Intro Developmental Psychology class in the summer. My grad program (or at least my advisor) focuses on Cross-cultural Views of Developmental Psychology.

Gracias todos! I appreciate the advice and support!

by the way, I just had someone ask me about a PhD program and graduate school. I'd be more than happy any questions about that if anyone wants to know more. I was the first in my fam to go to undergrad, and grad school. I did my undergrad at UCLA and was really surprised by how competitive people where instead of helping each other out. I swore to my self I would never become that and always help those who needed help (within reason). I dunno, my parents taught me to be humble and help others. In other words, I'd be happy to help if anyone has a question about PhD programs or grad school.

Last edited by xicanachick; 03-27-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Double posting. Please use edit button!
Old 03-27-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by shateredsoul View Post
So I went to the stores (whatever, I know you all shop there too ).. Marshalls was sorta expensive, you can get some of their stuff like theirs at other places when they're on special (you can thank mi jefa for that tip ) Ross was good, but took forever. I hate shopping so glad that's over with. It brings back memories of being bored to death as a kid. When I went to pay I asked the lady to hold off on one item because I'm not sure what the totals going to be. She misunderstood me so I talk to her in Spanish. She was really nice and hooked it up with a 10% discount. (I usually speak English first even if I know someone is Latina/o because I've had people get offended when I try Spanish first.)
I'm sure you'll look great!
Quote:
...I did my undergrad at UCLA...

Old 03-27-2012
Fresh Meat!

Fellow Bruin?
Old 03-27-2012
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

As a profesor, i dont think you need to wear a suit unless thats what you want to wear. I say you could do just go with "dress casual". Slacks and maybe a polo shirt with a blazer. Or jeans with the same mix. Throw in a button down shirt here and there, not really having to worry with a tie.

And i dont see anything wrong with the guayabera's.
Old 03-28-2012
Fresh Meat!

thanks! Thanks, now that makes more sense. I'll start saving for a blazer, maybe after the first month of teaching.

I bet a guayabera and blazer would look pretty nice
Old 03-28-2012
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Well i may not go that far, lol. But worth looking at in the mirror, dont think i ever seen the combo.
Old 03-28-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Fellow Bruin?

Old 07-08-2014
Prospect

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm new and found these forums randomly when trying to look for a blog that looks at Latino Men's Style. I was looking for something like this, http://gentlemenstandard.blogspot.com/ but for Chicana/o Latina/o Men.

Let me introduce my self. I'm studying for my PhD in psychology, grew up in Inglewood, fam from Zacatecas, and my dad works as a Gardenere and my mom babysits kids. I was the first in my fam to go to college. I did my BA in Psych with a minor in Chicana/o Studies and Education.

Now i'm in a PhD Program in Psychology, and I'm about to teach a class for my first time.

I have a question and I was hoping to get some help and opinions. So, I don't know how to dress for the job. I want to dress professionally, but I'd like to wear something that reflects my heritage without being stereotypical. Is there such a thing?

I mean, I do own nice dressy guayaberas (my apa brought them from Mexico for me), but any other ideas? I guess I'm more conscious about this because I'm light skinned (I even have pecas), and don't like being taken as white. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that thinks about this. What does it mean to dress well as a Latina/o? Is dressing up too much selling out? What does it mean to be a Chicano Gentleman (Caballero)? I don't know if I'm over thinking this and should just dress professionally without worrying about what background people think I'm from, but it's just something I've always worried about for some reason (my early twenties = chicana/o activist shirts and jeans).

I also don't want to be all muy muy and overdressing. =/ any suggestions? Am I the only one that thinks about this stuff?
"Make damm sure you hide your tat's. Otherwise, they'll think your just a gang-banger. Also, use standard english without the chicano accent. The ability to articulate yourself with standard englsh is the most important tool you have when trying to impress an employer.