Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 12-08-2004
Travieso

Default Brown Berets de Aztlan

hey wassup....
well i was wondering if anyone has any information on the Brown Berets de Aztlan..I mean ANY info. even if its old... thanks
Old 12-08-2004
deletedAccount

Key names, Carlos Montes. It was speculated that the brown berets supported Chavez back in the Chicano movement, but I've never found any proof to include in my research. I do know of an individual that represents the Brown Berets in the bay area, more specifically Watsonville. I'll try to gather information for you. What are you explicitly looking for?
Old 12-08-2004
Travieso

Default thanx

thanx for the help...i am mainly looking for information on their past causes and information on their 13 point system..i have found some information but not enough..another thing i want to find out is where i can join the berets cause if i decide i like theyre ideas..
Old 12-08-2004
Estudiante

Send a message via MSN to MuyFunny Send a message via Yahoo to MuyFunny Send a message via Skype™ to MuyFunny

I found this, try it! It never hurts

To talk with Carlos Montes contact him at the Centro CSO (323) 221-4000

The Brown Berets:
Young Chicano Revolutionaries

Fight Back! interviewed Carlos Montes, one of the founders and former Minister of Information of the Brown Berets National Office in East Los Angeles from 1967 to 1970. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the Brown Berets emerged as one of the most powerful and militant organizations in the Chicano liberation movement. Like the Black Panther Party, the Brown Berets were hit hard by government repression. This interview brings out a part of our history that is rarely taught in schools and some lessons for today’s activists from our movement’s past.

Fight Back!: Who were the Brown Berets?

Carlos Montes was a co-founder of the Brown Berets in 1967.

Carlos Montes: We were a group of young Chicano revolutionaries from the barrios of the Southwest fighting for the self-determination of our people. We organized in our barrios, published the newspaper La Causa, ran a free clinic and fought against police brutality as well as against the U.S. war in Vietnam.

We evolved from a youth group - from Young Citizens for Community Action, to Young Chicanos for Community Action to the Brown Berets. We evolved from civic participation and assimilation to revolutionary nationalism. The brown beret was a symbol of the pride in our culture, race and history. It also symbolized our anger and militancy and fight against the long history of injustice against the Chican@ people in the U.S., especially the Southwest. We claimed the Southwest as Aztlan, the original homeland of the indigenous Aztec ancestors and founders of Mexico City, Tenochtitlan. We were from poor working class families growing up with the racism and police abuse.

Fight Back!: Why did you join?

Carlos Montes: My family came to L.A. from Juarez, Mexico in 1956. I grew up in the barrios of South L.A. and East L.A. and experienced the racist conditions in the schools, police abuse, drugs, and the poor living conditions. This led me to get involved in the first Chicano student group, the Mexican American Student Association (MASA), at East L.A. College in 1967 which saw using education as the solution to injustice. I was also working as a youth center director and came across Young Chicanos for Community Action and La Raza newspaper, which were starting to voice opposition to the racist conditions in the barrio. I was drawn to the more active and direct action approach of Young Chicanos for Community Action, which became the Brown Berets in late 1967.

Fight Back!: What kind of community organizing did you do?

Carlos Montes: We first took on the issue of police brutality. The East L.A. sheriffs were notorious for their brutality, especially against Chicano youth, which I experienced cruising Whittier Boulevard on the weekends with hundreds of other youth. We were the first to lead a protest at the East L.A. sheriffs station to protest the killing of youth at the station in 1967. We also started working with the car clubs in East L.A. to defend them against police abuse. We opened a local cultural center in East L.A., The Piranya Coffee House, where we held youth meetings and cultural programs. It became one of the meeting places for the Brown Berets.

We also started working on the problems of the bad school conditions and the racist educational system. Our schools were old and in bad condition, with high drop out, or push out, rates and racist administrators and teachers. Over time, we started agitating for bilingual education, better school conditions, Chicano studies and more Chicano teachers. We attended community, school and youth meetings to raise demands for better educational and school conditions. This finally led to the historic East L.A. Blowouts in March of 1968, where thousands of high school Chicano youth walked out of the four predominantly Chicano high schools in the Eastside over a two week period.

Police photo of Brown Beret led walk-out at L.A.’s Lincoln High School

The Brown Berets were the first to run in to the high schools, yelling, “Walk out! Walk out!” To get the blowouts started, me and James Vigil (a k a Mangas Coloradas) ran into Lincoln High School on the first day to kick off the walkouts. We then went on to Roosevelt High School and the other schools.

We also supported the land movement in New Mexico of the Chicano small farmers and ranchers. They fought to recover the land stolen by the rich Anglo ranchers and the U.S. federal government. We supported the United Farm Workers’ struggle for UNI0N recognition and better working conditions. We marched with the first Rainbow Coalition in the Poor Peoples Campaign in Washington D.C. in the summer of 1968. We were at the first historic Chicano Youth Liberation conference, where the Plan Espiritaul de Aztlan was formulated in Denver, Colorado. We also organized the first Chicano Moratorium against the Vietnam War in December 1969. This led to the historic national Chicano Moratorium march and rally against the Vietnam war on Aug. 29, 1970, where over 20,000 Chicanos protested the high casualty rate of Chicanos in Vietnam and demanded self-determination at home in the Southwest. ‘Raza si! Guerra no!’

Fight Back!: What were major successes?

Carlos Montes: We exposed police brutality. Back then, some people tried to deny it existed. We were part of building the Chicano movement for self-determination, which raised the slogan of Chicano Power. It also started the movement for cultural awareness and pride in our Chicano history in the Southwest and Mexico, and our culture and language.

The blowouts were historic because it was the fist wave of mass actions by Chicanos in the urban barrios of the late 1960s. We eventually won bilingual education, Chicano studies, better school conditions and Chicano teachers and administrators. The mass anti-war demonstrations were part of the movement that eventually forced Nixon to pull out of Vietnam. We also opened the doors for affirmative action in higher education and political representation.

Fight Back!: How did the political views of the Brown Berets develop?

Carlos Montes: We started out with civic involvement and education as the road to equality, but soon learned that only real revolutionary change and political power by poor working people would gain real equality and freedom. We evolved from civic duty, work within the system, to self-determination, revolutionary nationalism and international solidarity with the liberation movements of Latin America, Africa and Asia - like the Vietnamese, the Congolese and Cubans fighting for freedom from U.S. domination.

Fight Back!: How did they see the world?

Carlos Montes: We believed in self-determination for Chicanos. The Brown Berets’ thirteen-point political program talked about self-determination as having political and economic control over our lives. It called for a return of our land, release of prisoners, jobs, education, housing, an end to the destruction of the environment by the capitalists, open borders, solidarity with all revolutionary peoples engaged in the struggle for self-determination. And we denounced the U.S. system of capitalism and imperialism.

Fight Back!: Did they work with groups in the Black community?

Carlos Montes: Yes, we supported and formed alliances with Black groups such as the Black Panther Party. We supported them when the police attacked them. We also set up similar programs like the East L.A. Free Clinic and free breakfast programs. We also were part of the first Rainbow Coalition when we joined the Poor Peoples Campaign in the summer of 1968. The Rev. Martin Luther King had struggled within the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to include the Chicano militant groups in the march on Washington, such as the Crusade for Justice, from Colorado; Alliance of Free City States, from New Mexico and the Brown Berets.

Fight Back!: What happened to the Brown Berets?

Carlos Montes: The Brown Berets grew to have about fourteen chapters throughout the Southwest, with East L.A. being the National Office. After the initial organizing efforts, the Los Angeles Police Department and sheriffs sent undercover officers to infiltrate the Brown Berets. The police infiltrators spied and acted as agent provocateurs, with the purpose of arresting the leadership and disrupting the organization. The police used secret grand jury indictments to try to jail and tie up the leadership in court trials. The top-down military structure of the group did not allow for the development of new leadership, or the leadership and development of the women who did a lot of the internal work. The Brown Berets continued ‘till about 1972, when they were disbanded. By then, the Prime Minister David Sanchez had degenerated into staging publicity stunts and running a one-man egomaniac undemocratic group.

Fight Back!: What are the lessons for today?

Carlos Montes: Building a mass militant movement to the stop the U.S. war drive, for social change and for revolution is key. Also rebuilding grassroots militant organizations in the community that fight for self-determination, social justice and liberation - not just for reforms. We need an organization that includes the participation of the entire family and that values and promotes the leadership of women.

Fight Back!: What about today’s ‘Brown Berets?’

Carlos Montes: The current group that call themselves Brown Berets have not led or been involved in any positive mass campaigns for self-determination or social change. They have not been able to grow or get support from any large segments of the Chicano community. They have not taken up the fight for immigrant rights or other important issues, especially the growing anti-war movement of today. They are primarily male and male dominated. They use militant rhetoric, but do not organize.
Old 12-08-2004
Maestro

I read this^^ a while back and had forgotten all about it. Very interesting.
Old 12-08-2004
Travieso

Default thanx

Ive read that before but thanx for the info... i was wondrin if u might know where the CSO is i kno 323 is L.A. and imma be down there tomrrow so if by any chance u kno what CSO is lemme kno...im going to try and find out myself
Old 12-08-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I posted the Brown Berets ten points (found it in an old book):

http://www.soychicano.com/modules.ph...ewtopic&t=3055

I found it in an old book.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 12-08-2004
Travieso

oo yeah.. i am also wondering if anyone has any information on DAVID RICO...and if he is still working with the xicano movement it would be really cool to meet and talk to him...
Old 12-08-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Do you know anything on Jorge LeRand (RIP)? He was an elder of ours who use to be in the Brown Berets, but before that, he was with the UFW. He was known as Abuelo. He did his best to make us into leaders, but he never talked about his past. If he did, he talked very little about it.

Old 12-08-2004
Travieso

ok this is where i found some of my information....its long but very informative..if some of you can read this and tell me what u think....dont forget to read the letter at the bottom...http://www.UNI0Ndelbarrio.org/lvp/ne...ug96/pg03.html
Old 12-08-2004
The one and only
Presidente

My friends back home and I all have a copy of that except ours have pictures in it.
It's in a notebook which I call 'the book of knowledge'. Has a lot of things. Haven't opened it in a while though.

Old 12-08-2004
Travieso

i dont know about Jorge...have u tried www.ufw.org ???
Old 12-09-2004
The one and only
Presidente

No. I haven't tried it. I don't know if they will ever have him in there. He resigned a little after UFW was taking off... He was Cesar's old child hood friends. In most of his childhood pics, Jorge is usually at the right side of him. Here's the only pic I have of him:

Old 07-03-2011
Fresh Meat!

Default Re: Brown Berets de Aztlan

WUSUP HOMES I AM A NATIONAL BROWN BERET DE AZTLAN AND ANYONE THAT HAS QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS CAN EMAIL ME AT 619RAZAunida@GMAIL.COM

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 07-03-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Old 07-03-2011
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN BERET DE AZTLAN View Post
WUSUP HOMES I AM A NATIONAL BROWN BERET DE AZTLAN AND ANYONE THAT HAS QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS CAN EMAIL ME AT 619RAZAunida@GMAIL.COM
Why not answer our questions here?

What rank did you have in the San Diego chapter?

Old 07-09-2011
Supporter
Veterano

I doubt he's EVER going to come back.

:'(
Old 09-14-2011
Fresh Meat!

I AM KNOWN AS XICANO VINCE. I AM A PART OF THE BROWN BERETS DE AZTLAN AND I AM GOOD FRIENDS WITH DAVID RICO, HE IS OUR COMMANDANTE NACIONAL. We are the oldest Brown Beret Organization. We stand up and fight for the rights of our people through Revolutionary Action. We aren't your typical "all talk" organization, we are here to get the job done through our actions and not just through propaganda. If this sounds like something you would like to be involved in and you have a passion the RAZA then contact us for more info.
Just because you contact us it does not mean you will automatically qualify for membership, there is a protocol. We are not an internet based group. We have chapters throughout AZTLAN and are currently expanding. We battle issues such as "illegal migration", police brutality, gang injunctions, mistreatment of our farmworkers, and many other issues our gente are plagued with by the system.
YOU CAN CONTACT US ON FACEBOOK BY SEARCHING BROWN BERETS DE AZTLAN, OR BY EMAIL AT BROWNBERETSMODESTO@GMAIL.COM OR BROWNBERETS.BLOGSPOT.COM . YOU CAN EVEN WATCH SOME VIDEOS OF US ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ 619RAZAunida.... SERIOUS XICANOS WHO WANT TO PUT IT DOWN FOR THE RAZA ONLY. THANK YOU Y QUE VIVA LA RAZA.
Old 09-14-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Welcome to SoyChicano, Brown Beret de Aztlan.

How about posting some of those youtube videos you mentioned. Sharing is caring, right? =d
Old 09-15-2011
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

well, he posted where they were posted, how about going to see them yourself?

Any Brown Beret chapters in Austin, tx?
Old 09-15-2011
Supporter
Veterano

I wasn't talking/referring to you, Nelio. When I do, you may answer my question towards you.

Hey, Brown Beret, are you one of those hit-and-runners? Cuz, if you're here just to hit it and quit it......GOOD LUCK TO YA!

~.~
Old 09-15-2011
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Beret de Aztlan
YOU CAN EVEN WATCH SOME VIDEOS OF US ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ 619RAZAunida....
Says it all here about videos for those interested in what he's talking about. Hardheads need not apply....or be worried about.

Good luck homie and dont worry bout silly questions, there are no rules on this site about number of posts,.
Old 09-15-2011
Supporter
Veterano

CORRECTION:

THERE ARE THE SOYCHICANO FORUM RULES which need to be ADDRESSED and comprehended to the MAX!!

THE ONLY PLACE WHERE NOOOOOO RUUULES APPLY ~

is in SOYCHICANO SUBSCRIBER'S PARADISE.

~.~ Only for the BIG BAHLLAHS!!

Last edited by xicanachick; 03-11-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: flooding
Old 09-16-2011
The one and only
Presidente

Does this mean you hooked up with the previous Modesto chapter or is this a new brown beret chapter?

Old 09-16-2011
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita View Post
CORRECTION:

THERE ARE THE SOYCHICANO FORUM RULES which need to be ADDRESSED and comprehended to the MAX!!
Again, you make yourself look stupid. THERE ARE NO RULES ON THIS SITE ABOUT NUMBER OF POST. THE ONLY PLACE WHERE NOOOOOO RUUULES APPLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita View Post
is in SOYCHICANO SUBSCRIBER'S PARADISE.

~.~ Only for the BIG BAHLLAHS!!
There is a thing called reading comprehension, maybe you should learn it. And subscribers paradise has nothing to do with someone having money. It has to do with people supporting the site, or being dumb enough to pay to post in a forum. Both apply.