Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 06-18-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default The Last Supper of Chicano Heroes

At stanford, there is a mural which is called The Last Supper of Chicano Heroes. It has 13 Chicano Heroes sitting at the table. They are:

Cesar Chavez

Emiliano Zapata

Dolores Huerta

Frida Kahlo

Luis Valdez

Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Joaquin Murrieta

Tomas Rivera

Sor Juana Inez de la Cruz

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Benito Juarez

Ricardo Flores Magon

Ernesto Galarza

Sadly, I couldn't really find any good pics of it except for this one:

http://www.lamission.org/forums/lastsupper.htm

Hope someone has a better pic.

My question was if you could remake this mural, who would you have? I will post my answers later. Right now it's too late.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 06-18-2005
Gunner

why is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Ernesto "Che" Guevarra thay didint do nothing for us didint che help the cubans more then the mexicans i chould be wrong but martin luther king and why didint thay put pancho villa
Old 06-18-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I have no idea. I'm not the artist.

Old 06-18-2005
deletedAccount

Emiliano Zapata-El General Del Sur

Eufemio Zapata- Emiliano's Brother, the first to take over Mexico City during the revolution

Pancho Villa- El General Del Norte

Joaquin Murrieta- Anglos claim he was a myth out of a story but was literally the robin hood for Mexicanos/Chicanos who lived in Califas

Benito Juarez- Mexico's first indigenous president and protector of the people

Cuahtecmoc- The last Mexica King

Subcomandante Marcos(EZLN)- "To see the face in the mask raza, look in the mirror"

Comandanta Esther(EZLN)- Speaks from the heart, very powerful speeches

Corky Gonzales- One of the original Chicano militants

Dr. Jose Angel Gutierrez- Founder of La Raza Unida Party and party responsible for initating Chicano activism in Texas

Carlos Montes- Minister of Communications for the Brown Berets. one of the LA 13 to be arrested for their part in the Los Angeles blowouts.

Ruben Salazar- One of the most powerful writers during the Chicano movement who gained national recognize because of his writing for the Los Angeles Times

Dr. Carlos Munoz Jr.- Original Chicano student activist and scholar who was one of the LA 13 as well.

Well that's my list.
Old 06-18-2005
The one and only
Presidente

I will post my list of my heroes and my reasons why. So many to write or say about, but I summarize it to these guys bc they represent their time and I guess “starters” of it all:

Ce Acatl (many of you know him as Quetzalcoatl) would be in the middle instead of Che. I picked him bc he in a way is like Jesus; he was an ordinary guy who somehow got mixed with myth and people can't separate the myth with truth. After the conquest, the priest try to make him more like Jesus. What everyone does agree on fact is he took revenge over his father's death and that's why I picked him.

Cuauhtemoc. We all know his story so I will cut it short. He represents resistance.

Tenamaxtli. Welcomed the Spaniards to the land, but fought them when he warned them a lot to stop. I picked him bc he shows how much he welcomed the Spaniards with open arms, but all they do is screw everything over.

Po’Pay aka Pope. Led the Pueblo Revolt (also known as the Pope Revolt) and told his people that they should go back to their indigenous ways and destroy everything that was Christian and Spaniard and those who were baptized to “debaptize” themselves and speak their language and grow their native crops. He represents the future and a blue print for us.

Miguel Hidalgo. Brought Mexican Independence and told mestizos and indigenas to up rise against the Spaniards and excommunicated by the church. Told people to get arms and they should be independent even though he knew the risks.

Benito Juarez. We all know who he is, but I picked him bc he was a Zapoteca who became president. I picked him bc he separated church from state and the Catholics got butt hurt and joined the French. I picked him bc he avenged the church in legal ways (he was a lawyer).

"Adits'a'ii" aka "Bi'éé'lizhini" aka Jesus Arviso. He was Mexican who was taken by Apaches as a slave and the Navajos traded him for a horse and adopted him. He becomes their translator and saves their lives. I picked him bc I see him as the beginning of Chicanismo of Indigena mind.

Joaquin Murrieta. Resisted American Occupation. He represents us.

Ricardo Flores Magon. Started the Revolution by writing of the pen. Writer who I see as doing his part bc not everyone is made to be a soldier.

Emiliano Zapata. A Nahua who wanted his people to have land, but then started leading his people speaking in his Nahuatl tongue. He shows us that in order to lead our people, we need to know the tongue that our people speak.

Reies Lopez Tijerina. He tried to get land grants for Mexicans/Chicanos. He is considered the guy who started the Chicano movement.

These last two I consider the disciples who spread the word:

Florencio Yesca and Andres Segura. These two introduced Danza to the US. Yesca would teach in southern cali like San Diego and Tijuana. Sugura was around the Texas border. From this, people would spread the teachings.

Old 06-18-2005
Travieso

the Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church,
through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the
Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.

matthew 26:26. While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing,
He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." 27.
And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink
from it, all of you; 28. for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for
many for forgiveness of sins. 29. "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the
vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's
kingdom." 30. After singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

luke 22:19. And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and
gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in
remembrance of Me." 20. And in the same way He took the cup after they had
eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My
blood.

so my hero would be Jesus and His disciples for they were the ones who were with
the Lord at the time. i would not have it any other way. so before you say i am
off topic; i'll answer. no i am right on track to your question and topic.
Old 06-18-2005
The one and only
Presidente

You're not topic. I asked who would you put as your heroes and you answered it.

Mine would be eating corn tortillas instead of beard (if you remember the Quetzalcoatl story, he brought corn to the newly born humans.).

Old 06-18-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH

I tried searching for a better image as well but only came up with this one...
http://ethnicstudies.ucr.edu/images/chicanoheroes1.jpg

Old 06-19-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH

That is a question that should be directed to the artist.
Old 06-19-2005
The one and only
Presidente

I read the chapter on Drink Cultura (I wonder if anybody read it since it was in the reading list *cough* *cough*) about it and it's based on a survey they did on 100 stanford students on who are their heroes.

He writes that Che made the list bc he was a strong symbol during the chicano movement, plus he is put in the middle bc he's the most christ looking.

Old 12-08-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Anybody have their list?

Old 12-08-2005
Karlos

Mine is that deleted account above, I still stand with those
Old 12-08-2005
Maestro

I read that book too, i wish i still had the book. i let my pinche friend barrow it and well, his ass went back to Texas, and i can't get ahold of him. He also took my book "We will Rise" oh well

I really don't know who i would have in my list. i like a lot of others peoples answers, i can't really think of any who wasn't mentioned that i would pick.

I think the purpose of Che and MLK was what they had represented not the fact that they were chicano. mainly what they represented to that artist at that time.

off topic: is there a summer reading book club thingy for us college students who well don't have time to read for fun. there are so many books i want to read but don't have time for. especially Chronicals Of Narnia before i see the movie, it's been so long since i read those. oh well....
Old 12-08-2005
The one and only
Presidente

I should make a Chicano reading list for the summer. Would be interesting...

Old 05-11-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Default Re: The Last Supper of Chicano Heroes

I borrowed my roommates copy and let a friend borrow my copy. She has liked it so far.

Old 05-11-2006
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to Chicahua Send a message via Yahoo to Chicahua

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
I will post my list of my heroes and my reasons why. So many to write or say about, but I summarize it to these guys bc they represent their time and I guess “starters” of it all:

Ce Acatl (many of you know him as Quetzalcoatl) would be in the middle instead of Che. I picked him bc he in a way is like Jesus; he was an ordinary guy who somehow got mixed with myth and people can't separate the myth with truth. After the conquest, the priest try to make him more like Jesus. What everyone does agree on fact is he took revenge over his father's death and that's why I picked him.

Cuauhtemoc. We all know his story so I will cut it short. He represents resistance.

Tenamaxtli. Welcomed the Spaniards to the land, but fought them when he warned them a lot to stop. I picked him bc he shows how much he welcomed the Spaniards with open arms, but all they do is screw everything over.

Po’Pay aka Pope. Led the Pueblo Revolt (also known as the Pope Revolt) and told his people that they should go back to their indigenous ways and destroy everything that was Christian and Spaniard and those who were baptized to “debaptize” themselves and speak their language and grow their native crops. He represents the future and a blue print for us.

Miguel Hidalgo. Brought Mexican Independence and told mestizos and indigenas to up rise against the Spaniards and excommunicated by the church. Told people to get arms and they should be independent even though he knew the risks.

Benito Juarez. We all know who he is, but I picked him bc he was a Zapoteca who became president. I picked him bc he separated church from state and the Catholics got butt hurt and joined the French. I picked him bc he avenged the church in legal ways (he was a lawyer).

"Adits'a'ii" aka "Bi'éé'lizhini" aka Jesus Arviso. He was Mexican who was taken by Apaches as a slave and the Navajos traded him for a horse and adopted him. He becomes their translator and saves their lives. I picked him bc I see him as the beginning of Chicanismo of Indigena mind.

Joaquin Murrieta. Resisted American Occupation. He represents us.

Ricardo Flores Magon. Started the Revolution by writing of the pen. Writer who I see as doing his part bc not everyone is made to be a soldier.

Emiliano Zapata. A Nahua who wanted his people to have land, but then started leading his people speaking in his Nahuatl tongue. He shows us that in order to lead our people, we need to know the tongue that our people speak.

Reies Lopez Tijerina. He tried to get land grants for Mexicans/Chicanos. He is considered the guy who started the Chicano movement.

These last two I consider the disciples who spread the word:

Florencio Yesca and Andres Segura. These two introduced Danza to the US. Yesca would teach in southern cali like San Diego and Tijuana. Sugura was around the Texas border. From this, people would spread the teachings.
Dito, but I'd have to add just a few more names that are not familiar to most Mexican/Indigenous/Chicanos. Those would be

Noble Drew Ali the true teacher of MalcolmnX and Muhammad - who taught that if a person didn't know from where their roots came they would not understand who they were. A true prophet in his time! He also wrote the Circle 7 which is a book that reveals much of the missing bible which those adept know is nothing but our story (Indigenous) racked over and twisted.

Sun Ra He was one of the inspirations of the Black Panther Movement and introduced the 19 century to the 64th harmonics (music jargon many won't understand- but he was ONE BAD brother) Also creator of the movies Space Is The Place and Have you met the Captain Yet both on VHS at your public library.

Dr Love from Harlem who taught herbal healing and how to defend yourselves from the cracker busterz of today! Another very deep and prolific brother.

These three also taught the importance of how our people, (Indigenous, Asian, Blacks, anything non european) needed to unite and ban together as we were of all one family and they busted open the Divide and Conquer theory

So I believe it's very important that in learning our own story we also learn our brothers and sisters cultures as they are very similar and compliment one another adding to it's already richness and quality when used in proper etiquette.

Two others I'd add is Olin of the Mexica Movement for educating our people to our story and culture and Leonard Peltier nuff said!

"Take away the language, you take away the culture,
take away the culture, take away the power,
you are lost!" B&RInk
Old 05-11-2006
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Quote:
Two others I'd add is Olin of the Mexica Movement for educating our people to our story and culture and Leonard Peltier nuff said!
You know I was think about Olin too. Albeit I do have my reservations about some of his philosophy, but hes defintly done a lot as far as dispensing valuable information. I really dont really see any organization putting out idigenous-centric information as intensly as hos org does. It is to be commended.

Im still trying to figure out how Che was in the center, hes not even native.
Old 05-31-2006
The one and only
Presidente

No comment on Ollin.

Old 09-11-2006
The one and only
Presidente

bump

Old 09-11-2006
Veterano

I dont like that they have the virgin-of-whoever on the top of the mural, but I guess its gotta be.
Politics and religion shouldnt be bedfellows - in my opinion

but, its cool that someone tried to put them all together.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-12-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela
I dont like that they have the virgin-of-whoever on the top of the mural, but I guess its gotta be.
Politics and religion shouldnt be bedfellows - in my opinion

but, its cool that someone tried to put them all together.
What's wrong with the Virgin? To me, she's not religion, but Mexican culture. I swear I had a discussion about this before somewhere on why she's important.

Old 09-12-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

^ I think it's funny to have the Catholic Virgin Mary floating above the atheist, Che Guevara. Talk about a disfunctional hall of heroes!!!

Samuel Adams
Old 09-12-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_arriero
^ I think it's funny to have the Catholic Virgin Mary floating above the atheist, Che Guevara. Talk about a disfunctional hall of heroes!!!
They are similiar, they both have started revolutions in a sense. When Mexico didn't have a flag, we used her as our flag of Revolution.

Anyway, here's more links on her:

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21114

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6837

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12289

has more info.

Also, if you remember the story about her and Juan Diego, when Juan Diego asked her who she was, she never said she was la Virgin de Guadalupe. Remember that (Mexicayotl Code.).

Funny part is true Catholics don't acknowledge her, but true Mexicans (who know the secret) do.

Old 09-12-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

So now you are saying that only true Mexicans worship the Virgen de Guadalupe. Tec, I'm sorry but I have to say the following.
You are full of sh*t on this one.

Instead of making me read some old threads, why can't you answer succinctly? People will not come to the same conclusions just by reading the same thing. I know it's painful to realize that your religion, Catholicism, was forced upon your ancestors. The Spanish raped Mexican women. That is why we have mostly Spanish Y chromosomes (male lineage) and Indigenous mitochondrial DNA (matrilineal lineage).

You are only fooling yourself by inventing scenarios that render the Virgen de Guadalupe as being continuous with the indigenous past. The Virgen de Guadalupe is a Catholic production. You don't know the Church as well as you should. Your psyche is forcing you to invent an indigenous past to your current Catholic traditions. The Catholic Church has tolerated some indigenous flavors in the past, but the main components of indigenous theology did not make it into the Catholic cut. It is entirely suspect. Do you know how easy it is to find the symbol of a cross in any culture? It doesn't mean anything if you find these secret "connections" because these motifs are automatic to human culture.

Do you actually get off thinking that you were actually practicing indigenous religion under Catholic cover and that you can continue to be a pseudo-Catholic?? Here's a book for you to read:
It's called Secrecy and Deceit (Gitlitz), and its about crypto-judaism "pretending" to be Catholic. It's all the same sh*t.

Tec, and before you reply, spend a little more time with your thoughts before penning marvelous replies such as "X is dumb".

Samuel Adams

Last edited by El_arriero; 09-12-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

My group of heroes would be a mixture of folks... i m on the tip like chicahua...

For me, the center would have to be Emiliano Zapata b/c of his ability to lead w/o being condescending to what benefitted the people. He represents what resistance means IMO in folks of Mexican/indigenous descent....

Ricardo Flores Magon would be up there b/c he was a revolutionary writer and thinker who, along with his brother and others, put out some real deep shit that, i think got folks really thinking what was the need of the govt... Tierra y Libertad started in his mind...

Malcolm X b/c he was a straight G. his mind was above nething around that time. he was cold and calculated when he spoke (post secession from the NOI and Hajj). He had the ability to move and inspire mountains of people...

Michele Foucalt b/c i think his panopticon theory is a trip and i think succinctly (arriero's fav word) describes how people would act in a state of nature (without a state/govt)... it s like big brother without big brother...

Benito Juarez for his contributions to the ideal of liberty in a time when corruption was the m.o.

Huey P. Newton b/c he was an intelligent man who's life traveled parallel to happenings of the times....

Sub Marcos - b/c his writings and abilities to speak remind me of Malcolm... he speaks to ur soul not just ur ears...

some others i cant think of right now

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon