Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Entertainment > Books

Books Discuss here about your favorite reads.

Old 11-06-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Default Re: Reccomended Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payazito
a Kid Called " It" good book there are 2 other books after this one and this is an actuall true story about the author

i heard this book was heart wrenching ass book!

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 11-06-2006
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Quote:
Just small things. I don't know where my copy is, but from what I remember is there's a lot of ayo (WTF is that?) and stuff and Portifolio screw ups.
ahh yea that, besides that I dont see much else that confuses me.
Old 11-07-2006
Maestro

i'd say Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

Michael Levine, The Big White Lie

Alfred McCoy, The politics of heroin

the last two are about drug trade and CIA complicity in it, extremely well documented

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell (copied from the most honorable KA)
Old 11-07-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito21
i'd say Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

Michael Levine, The Big White Lie

Alfred McCoy, The politics of heroin

the last two are about drug trade and CIA complicity in it, extremely well documented

i ve heard about the politics of heroin... never come across the big white lie tho....

does the politics of heroin talk about afghanistan and vietnam?

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 11-07-2006
Maestro

The later versions do. no sorry, all versions do, the revised one includes Iran-Contra and data updating (the book was first published in 1972)

as for the big white lie, its also a must read.

heres a little smthg about the author : "Levine is a 25-year veteran of the Drug Enforcement Administration, whose career included undercover work in Argentina at the time of the 1980 "Cocaine Coup" in Bolivia "

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell (copied from the most honorable KA)
Old 11-07-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
The later versions do. no sorry, all versions do, the revised one includes Iran-Contra and data updating (the book was first published in 1972)

as for the big white lie, its also a must read.

heres a little smthg about the author : "Levine is a 25-year veteran of the Drug Enforcement Administration, whose career included undercover work in Argentina at the time of the 1980 "Cocaine Coup" in Bolivia "
cool... i ve really gotten into this lately... i feel people need to be informed about what s happened in this country in regards to drug trafficking and shit like that...

Old 11-07-2006
Maestro

true, same for me.

i'd like to know more about US economy's alleged dependency on drug money : it is estimated that global laundered money amouts to between 500billion to 1.5trillion$ a year, and that US domestic banks launder about 100billion$ of drug money a year.

thats just crazy. how would US economy do without all that money?

but the material is hard to find

i heard Catherin Austin Fitts provides good info but i havent been able to check it out yet.

Old 11-08-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
true, same for me.

i'd like to know more about US economy's alleged dependency on drug money : it is estimated that global laundered money amouts to between 500billion to 1.5trillion$ a year, and that US domestic banks launder about 100billion$ of drug money a year.

thats just crazy. how would US economy do without all that money?

but the material is hard to find

i heard Catherin Austin Fitts provides good info but i havent been able to check it out yet.
ure a fucken JUNKIE man! hahahah... it s all good though... i m glad ur droppin all these names and titles... imma have to try to get my hands on all these titles

Old 11-08-2006
Maestro

Yup, cocaine is like oxygen to me

i just wanna know how i contribute to the economy

Old 11-08-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

i meant a book junkie homie... an info junkie!

hahahah... cocaine is ur oxygen... that was a good one!

Old 11-09-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISACSUN
When I first began to read and study seriously, I began with books that had to do about my identity and background, the environment I lived in and the influences that surrounded me.

When I was a young teen growing up in a hard working class, blue collar and low income barrio, I was aware of being Brown when I observed many different cholos from different gangs who had cool tatoos that said Brown Pride.

So looking up to and admiring some of these older Brown cholos, Black gangstas, and veteranos and influenced by their mannerisms, speech, and dress style, I dressed and talked like them even though I wasn't a gangsta. I was a product of my surrounding environment.

So after a few years of ditching school and going to ditching parties, dropping out, being too poor to buy anything and committing petty crimes, tagging, and other pendejadas, I got very bored and impatient with this lifestyle. So I began to read scholarly newspaper articles and books about Black and Brown gangs since I knew gangstas, hung out and partied with them. So I found that it was very interesting to read about things that I identified and related to at that point in my life and reality. These subjects analyzed poverty, identity, race, class, drop out rates, gang violence, grafitti, police brutality, historical and institutionalized racism, etc. in the barrios and reading and learning about these things helped me grow, mature and become a productive member of society who wants to make a positive difference for myself and my gente in the barrios like the one I use to live in.

So that's how I came across these books that I recommend to you and hope that you enjoy and learn from them:

Barrio Gangs by Diego Vigil

Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in L.A. by Luis J. Rodriguez

Down These Mean Streets by Piri Thomas

Monster: An Autobiography by an L.A. Gang Member by Shanyika Shakur a.k.a. Cody Scott

Do or Die by Leon Bing

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley

Black Boy by Richard Wright

Manchild in the Promised Land by...

Roots by Alex Haley

The Jungle by...

Lakota Woman by Richard Erdoes

Ohitika Woman by Richard Erdoes

Black Elk Speaks

Occupied America by Rudulfo "Rudy" Acuna

A People History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Stupid White Men and Dude, Where's My Country both by Michael Moore

Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Einrich

Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code both by Dan Brown

good list..

the jungle is written by upton sinclair, btw.

Old 11-10-2006
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

i also recommend

Racism on Trial by Ian Haney Lopez my new favorite person in the world....
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 11-10-2006
Maestro

Quote:
i meant a book junkie homie... an info junkie!
¸

shit ... i guess i let my drug junkie side take the best of me ...

anyway, i'd also recommend Ha-Joon Chang's book " Kicking away the ladder, development strategy in historical perspective"

it kinda deconstructs the myth that free trade and laissez-faire policies, which is the kind of policies being pushed on 'developing' countries, is what made 'developed' countries rich

yeah i know, my books arent that spiritual but hey, u need a lil bit of everything right ?

Old 11-10-2006
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow
i heard this book was heart wrenching ass book!
yes it is it makes you feel bad for the kid but it makes you want too keep reading
this book is about a child abused by it's own parents

Old 11-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
¸

shit ... i guess i let my drug junkie side take the best of me ...

anyway, i'd also recommend Ha-Joon Chang's book " Kicking away the ladder, development strategy in historical perspective"

it kinda deconstructs the myth that free trade and laissez-faire policies, which is the kind of policies being pushed on 'developing' countries, is what made 'developed' countries rich

yeah i know, my books arent that spiritual but hey, u need a lil bit of everything right ?

u always droppin them hot book titles! i gotta check that one too... u need to make ur own list in ur own thread... u have some good titles...

i reccommend The Possessive Investment in Whiteness by George Lipsitz... this book deconstructs white privilege and demonstrates how it manifests itself in everything in this society!

lipsitz is a funny dude... i got the pleasure of speaking to him for a couple of yrs when he was a prof at the school i went to...

Old 11-13-2006
Maestro

no shit ... u actually talked to the dude

i gotta check this book, it deals with smthg im totally ignorant about

thx!

Old 11-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

yeah... that guys cool and funny. real down to earth. i ve had the honor to meet a lot of authors of books i ve actually read and liked.

Old 11-13-2006
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Thus far i have some if not all of the books most have mentioned on my reading list, or to buy rreading list. Might I add these:

Massacre in Mexico

The Massacre at El Mozote

Message to Aztlan, selected writings of Rudolfo "Corky" Gonzalez

Prison Writings by Leonard Pelteir

Memory of fire, the trilogy

American Haulocaust

Mexico Profundo

Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo

The revolt of the Cockraoch People

The Broken Spears

Genocide of the Mind

There are many more i have read and could make it on there, but those are well worth reading to learn, to stimulate your mind and thought process.
Old 01-29-2007
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to XLokita3 Send a message via MSN to XLokita3 Send a message via Yahoo to XLokita3
Default recomendations....

What are your favorite books or authors?? I want to start reading more, but i dont know what books are good.... any sugestions??
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

http://www.myspace.com/xlokita3

*o*Smile now Cry later*o*
Old 01-29-2007
Veterano

Default Re: recomendations....

Theres a thread on where everyone listed their favorite books and why

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22114
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 01-29-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

//Topic Merged

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 01-29-2007
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to XLokita3 Send a message via MSN to XLokita3 Send a message via Yahoo to XLokita3

thankz... this really helps out.. i juss need to go and pick them up
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

http://www.myspace.com/xlokita3

*o*Smile now Cry later*o*
Old 02-05-2007
Prospect

Send a message via AIM to Lil_Old_ME Send a message via MSN to Lil_Old_ME
Default Hey Plz. Recommend Books

Hey everyone can any of you please recommend
me some books. It could be about mystery, life themes,
anything that you think is good. I want to start reading
more. Thanks to all.

OH yea not to many pages. thanks

Life is not like a pencil, if you make a mistake,it can't be erased. Life is more like a pen, you can use white out to cover it up , but you'll always be reminded of the spot where u made a mistake .....

Don't go for looks, they can decieve. Don't go for wealth, even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile because it only takes a smile to make a dark day seem bright.
Old 02-05-2007
Veterano

Default Re: Hey Plz. Recommend Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Old_ME
OH yea not to many pages. thanks, with lots of pictures
well, there is another thread just like this one that everyone has already commented on http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22114

enjoy!
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 02-05-2007
Veterano

Default Re: Hey Plz. Recommend Books

the following books are a must read:

Barrio Gangs by Diego Vigil

Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in L.A. by Luis J. Rodriguez

Down These Mean Streets by Piri Thomas

Monster: An Autobiography by an L.A. Gang Member by Shanyika Shakur a.k.a. Kody Scott

Do or Die by Leon Bing

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley

Black Boy by Richard Wright

Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown

Roots by Alex Haley

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

Lakota Woman by Richard Erdoes

Ohitika Woman by Richard Erdoes

Black Elk Speaks

Occupied America by Rudulfo "Rudy" Acuna

A People History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Baseball in April by Gary Soto

Stupid White Men and Dude, Where's My Country both by Michael Moore

Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Einrich

Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code both by Dan Brown

Born on the 4th of July

This following links have books I recommend

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26379

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25668

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25591

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26775

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26716
Peltier's Beat Goes On
I pay taxes because those in law enforcement or the military industrial complex
depend on me to "Support the Police" & "Support The Troops"
or in other words to pay for their welfare and socialism benefits.