Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Entertainment > Books

Books Discuss here about your favorite reads.

Old 04-09-2007
SuaveHighTimes

Default Self Help Books

Does anybody ever read self help books?

If so, i have a couple of books I think are great and would like to recommend to all of you

The first is called, "Automatic Millionaire", by David Bach
Here is a summary of the book: Despite its sensational title, David Bach's The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich is not a get-rich-quick guide. Rather, the book is a straightforward march through common-sense personal financial planning that suggests readers "automate" their contributions to retirement and investment vehicles. Bach, in fact, calls his model the "tortoise approach" to becoming wealthy by retirement age.
In the end The Automatic Millionaire does not offer much that is new for readers already familiar with personal finance basics like accelerated mortgage payments, "the miracle of compound interest," and the setting up of emergency funds. But, for those just starting with financial planning, Bach provides a host of resources to put recommendations into action. He walks his readers through such fundamentals as shopping for interest rates, creating a balanced retirement portfolio, and consolidating debt. And Bach's conversational style will make this quick read highly palatable for those daunted by more detailed investment and personal finance titles.

By "automate" the auther suggests to the reader to take advantage of programs such as your company's 401K program, IRA's, stocks, bonds, money market accounts , etc etc. But he explains the why's and how's in such a simple way that it leaves you wondering why the heck you hadnt done it sooner.

The 2nd book i suggest is by the same author, David Bach: Automatic Millionaire Homeowner.
with a seventh book dedicated to helping readers store up a bundle. Though readers of Bach's Start Late, Finish Rich and The Automatic Millionaire will encounter some familiar material, the bestselling author offers a great book that first-time homeowners and anyone toying with the notion of investing in real estate will find immensely practical. From questions to ask a realtor to explanations of the fine print in loan contracts, Bach offers universally good advice on how to begin saving and building wealth through homeownership. The book is also wildly motivational; frequent asides urge readers to finish the book quickly and start accumulating assets. True to its promise, the book is a swift read, arming readers with everything they need to know in a simple, accessible manner. Just in case any confusion lingers, end of chapter action lists and free online audio supplements are also provided. Bach's extensive experience in leading financial seminars, motivating audiences to take financial responsibility and snagging appearances on Oprah are apparent in his ability to enthusiastically lead readers through even the most arcane aspects of home buying.

I actually read this 2nd book first and it played an instrumental part in helping me find my home. But aside from explaining how a home builds wealth, he also shows you have to pay if off sooner and "automatically".

The entire concept of both books and his whole "automatic millionaire" theory is just how he states things need to be done, automatically.

And by automatic, he means contributing as much as you can to your 401k because your payroll dept will do it for you. ALso, setting up a savings account with automatic direct deposit aside from your checking account so you arent tempted to dip into it. And then of course he explains the benefits of bi-weekly mortgage payments thru a program that most banks refer to as "Quick Accelerator" which will eventually help pay of your 30 year mortage in as little as 22 years saving you tens of thousands in interest. And of course this program is set up "automatically" so you don't have to worry about creating a budget or keeping diciplined.

Again, i highly recommend both books. I've actually been using his method for the last few months and though it took a bit to get accustomed at first, i'm definitely seeing and reeping the rewards.

Last edited by SuaveHighTimes; 04-09-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Self Help Books

I think self help books are dumb.

Only I could help myself. Nothing else.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 04-09-2007
SuaveHighTimes

duh. These books arent meant to change your life for you. They are meant to serve as guidance. Why not learn from the experience of others as opposed to simply learning from your own mistakes.
Old 04-09-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveHighTimes View Post
Why not learn from the experience of others as opposed to simply learning from your own mistakes.
That's what I usually do and all that is not in books.

Old 04-09-2007
Veterano

How about Rich Man, Poor Man - that is a very good book to read on financial help.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 04-09-2007
→©α££αδα←
Maestro

yeah, i read self-help books sometimes, it helps to read them to learn about the different aspects available instead of sticking to what people close to you tell you.

and we continue to love unrequitedly while our actions' consequences bury us in a castle-like coffin to bleed. ..
Old 04-09-2007
Gunner

I don't buy self help books, but i've been downloading podcasts from itunes that are like mini self help sessions.... grammar girl is a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
How about Rich Man, Poor Man - that is a very good book to read on financial help.
I'm going to have to read that book so that everyone can stfu about telling me how good it is. not antagonizing ya chavela, just pointing out how popular this book is.
Old 04-09-2007
SuaveHighTimes

^^I've heard of it too. there are others that come to mind, such as "The millionaire mind", "who cut the cheese"....or is it stole the cheese?? something like dat!
Old 04-09-2007
Gunner

^ I think you're referring to who moved my cheese, which is another one of those books that people rave about. I even had to hear it from the ceo of a company i worked for before he gave all his money away to scientology.

I swear, that for all these people that push their self help books, they're still their same poor miserable selves.

edit: i just meant the people i know, not just anyone who likes them (including yourself)... people are getting so sensitive that I have to start adding disclaimers to my posts.
Old 04-09-2007
SuaveHighTimes

^^ No worries. I hear ya.

And yeah, it is who moved my cheese, lol. cut the cheese would have been a much better title though.
Old 04-12-2007
SuaveHighTimes

^^Actually, i read the predeccesor to that one. "The millionaire Mind" a few years back. But thanks
Old 04-22-2007
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

coulda swore this thread was older than "1 week ago"
Old 04-22-2007
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

no. the system i guess, it say "1 week ago" i know thats gotta be wrong.
Old 04-22-2007
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

I doubt i would ever buy one, let alone read one. I kinda of like Tec, i dont think they would do me any good.
Old 03-04-2011
The one and only
Presidente

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...lp-books-stink

Why Most Self-Help Books Stink (And a Few That Don't)

Christine Whelan is a student of the self-help movement -- literally. This University of Pittsburgh professor did her doctoral dissertation on the self-help industry and what makes something in this genre a best-seller. Her take? She tells me that while the idea that we can make ourselves better by reading a book is perennially popular (who wouldn't want to improve their lives in 4 hours?) many books fall far short. Here's why:

1. The "real people" are made up. Anecdotes are great for illustrating a point. So we learn that "Bob" and "Jane" learned to communicate well and now their marriage is all better! Um, yeah. Real life is messy, and using composite characters, or those with the details changed, are just other words for fiction. Which has its place, but is always suspect in a genre that claims to be true.

2. They promise that change is easy. "We want three easy steps to overhaul our financial life, or washboard abs in 60 seconds a day," Whelan says. "But here's the unpleasant truth: Behavioral change is among the hardest things we can set out to do, and any book that promises you instant changes is selling you snake oil." Put it this way. If changing our lives was painless, you'd see a lot more svelte, rich and happy people walking around.
3. There's probably no evidence. Most self-help writers aren't in the business of documenting whether their ideas work for the majority of people who try them. "There's no efficacy data on the vast majority of diet self-help books," Whelan says. "Who knows if positive thinking actually cures people. But self-help books use rhetoric and repetition to prove their points."

So which books don't suck? After wading through more than 300 over the years, Whelan is partial to "books that offer solid advice to guide readers step-by-step toward long-term change. These are books that encourage the reader to get back to core virtues like perseverance, honesty, self-control and thrift -- not empty quick-fix solutions." These include Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (1937), M. Scott Peck's "The Road Less Traveled" (197, Samuel Smiles' "Thrift" (1876!), Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" (1987) and a few other dark horse ones, including -- full disclosure and brag alert -- 168 Hours.

For her new book called "Generation WTF: From 'What the #%$&' to a Wise, Tenacious, and Fearless You," Whelan had her students test drive advice from the books that didn't suck, and had some interesting, actual real-people results. One student re-established contact with her grandmother a few days before the grandmother passed away. Another analyzed his TV time logs and decided to get more sleep instead. One reduced her text messages from a record 267 per day to 10.

So change is possible. It just isn't easy.

Old 01-16-2015
Veterano

I read self help books all the time. Not that I will do anything they suggest but because its good to read positive things once in awhile.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 01-16-2015
The one and only
Presidente

Maybe it's just me but negative things give me positivity. Let me explain; lately I been reading a lot of old text lately. Right now I'm reading Florentine Codex Book 12 which is about the Conquest of Mexico in the point of views of the natives. It was written after the conquest.

Old 01-16-2015
Veterano

Probably the same reason I read anything I can on the Holocaust. Its fascinating and I wonder what I would have done if I had been there.