Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Cultural Issues

Cultural Issues Anything about culture

Old 12-12-2004
Mocoso

Send a message via AIM to La_Goofy Send a message via MSN to La_Goofy Send a message via Yahoo to La_Goofy
Default zoot suit riots??

ok i know a little about the riots, pero where i was raised they don't talk about them and i donno a lot of why all the crap happened. i wanna know what happened in those times, i wanna learn what schools don't teach. i donno if they talk about the riots where ur from, pero ova here u don't hear about it at all. i've really like to know about the zoot zuit riots, if any of u know anything let me know aight??? cause i'd really like to learn about stuff they don't teach me

la goofy
Old 12-12-2004
Mocoso

Send a message via AIM to Lowrider56 Send a message via MSN to Lowrider56 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowrider56

Here is a start...

http://www.suavecito.com/history.htm

Go to your local bookstore like Borders, or Barnes & Nobles and look for books on Chicano history. Try the local library, or the many websites with history articles in them.
Old 12-13-2004
Mocoso

Send a message via AIM to La_Goofy Send a message via MSN to La_Goofy Send a message via Yahoo to La_Goofy

aight koo, thanx eh imma check out that site right now
Old 12-13-2004
Veterano

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/zoot/

EDIT* posted the same link as lowrider

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 12-13-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

There's a lot of history that they don't teach you.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 12-13-2004
Chicle

i wrote a essay on this not to long ago for my history class. it was all about how the mexican american youth would wear this zoot suit and they were labeled gangsters hoodlums pachucos and the sailor took things into their own hands, they would beat them rape them and everything the police never even helped them, one of the attacks lasted like 6 days and they had taxis take them to the barrios and looked for any hispanic zoot suiter to attack and possibly kill. the sleppy lagoon trials started this all there were like 22 young hispanic men on trial for murdering another hispanic boy at a party they were committed on little to no good evidence thats all i remember off the top of my head, nobody ever told me about this stuff in school i just got interested, well any ways if u have any questions just ask me and i look into my notes alright alratos and ps where do u go to school?
Old 12-13-2004
*Mr*Manuel

I enjoy reading about this era, but there is not that much, or at least not that I could find.

Here are a couple I have found:

THE ZOOT-SUIT RIOTS- The psychology of symbolic annihilation by Mauricio Mazon

ZOOT SUIT MURDERS- by Thomas Sanchez.

I saw the play when it first came out with Edward James Olmos.....now its out in DVD....
Old 12-14-2004
Gunner

I researched this in school also, and if I remember correctly this took place in 1942 when mexican americans were considered the criminal element of the city.
The pachuco zoot suit style was said to have been "borrowed" from black jazz influence. The pachuco was considered punk, and ill mannered and white people were threatened by them all dressing the same.
There were 22 boys arrested for the murder of one single boy at a party. One of the guys arrested was Hank Leyvas and him and his girlfriend had been beaten up and they went to the party looking for the guys who did it. The man who died, Garcia was the last name I think, was already dying when they (hank and friends) got there, they crashed the party while a few of the girls stayed behind with the dying guy. 17 out of 22 arrested were sent to San Quentin and the girls that were arrested were made wards of the state. One of the girlss knew the truth about what happened, but didnt talk until years later. These young men weren't really given a chance to defend themselves correctly, or represent themselves in a civilized manner. I think I read that a sailor that took the wrong impression of a civilian is what started the riots. There were young kids, 12 and 13 beaten by servicemen. Sailors were targeting any mex-amer youths, they were going into the barrios and beating everyone up. And of course the barrios chose to fight back. The police only arrested the chucos. In June of 1943 zoot suits were banned and anyone caught wearing them recieved a 30 day jail term. In 1944 Leyvas and others were finally set free, but no one was cleared of murder charges. The girls weren't as lucky and weren't let out until they turned 21. In 1991 the woman who had kept the real murderer protected finally let it out that it was her own bro who was responsible for the Garcia death but she wasn't a snitch so she had never told to protect him.
Old 12-14-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Call me a witch again, but somehow I knew this was going to be posted or if not, post it myself.

Aaaahhhhh, The Zoot Suit Era. MAAANNNNNNN, just THINKING about it gives me CHHHHIIIIIIILLLLLLLLZZZZZzzzzzzzzz **trembles all over **

Here's my question about the Zoot Suit riots. WHERE were the riots at? Was it HERE? In East Los Angeles? ?O, A donde fue? Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

i could be wrong, and prolly am, but i believe, if i remember right, they happened mostly in East L.A and El Paso. but i could be wrong. why not check out the sites sauvecita and see for yourself?
Old 12-14-2004
Mocoso

i live in washington state, and teachers here don't even mention pachucos. i heard that the sailors would take the pachucos clothes, rap the woman and kill the kids... pero thats jus wha i heard once. i've noticed that the schools don't really talk about wha AMERICA has done wrong only wha other countries do wrong. i think thats fucked up. america is still doing wrong. i wanna get the truth out, i wanna get respect for the people that get hated on, people think mexicans r a good fo nothin pero we the ones that work harder than anyone else to get respect and move up in life. i wanna learn everything about pachucos and what they did, imma bring it up in school cause the teachers say that its bullshit, pero they jus don't wanna hear the truth.

there was something my bro told me bout, that schools don't teach. he told me somethin about a war wit the that americans put the japanes into camps or some shit like that and they kept them there.... i really donno he didn't tell me the rest pero i'm tryin to get some info on that too. white kids only see what other countries do wrong and what they've done wrong, they judge. pero they don't see what their country has done, and is doing. and i want them to see the truth, cause schools will neva teach this, especially in a school ova here.

thanx fo the info

la goofy
Old 12-14-2004
Presidente

yeah goofy, during WORLD WAR II the japanese americans were put in RELOCATION CAMPS. or so they were told, for their own protection. but they were really CONCENTRATION CAMPS. just not like the one th Nazi's had. They wanted to keep an eye on the Japanese Americans, they didnt trust them enough to live out on the streets unwatched. but they sure as hell didnt mind them going to die for this country. which didnt happen till almost towards the end of the war, and even then, they were still fearful, that those japanese soldiers would turn on them during battle.
Old 12-14-2004
Veterano

during WW2, all americans were expected to ration everything.
Zoot suits were actually "banned", I believe because they took up an unneccessary amount of clothe to make.

Most Americans saw the zoot suit as being anti-American and a slap in the face to the mainstream

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 12-14-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Nelio, if by you saying it happened in East Los Angeles, then I PERSONALLY KNOW a lady who was from the Zoot Suit Era. She STILL lives in East Los. She told me she used to be dressed all Pachuco to the dance clubs and shit.

MANNNNNN, till this day, she STILL LOOOOVES to dance. WOW! To meet someone from the past. The CHICANO past. Mannnn, that sure is an HONOR!
Old 12-14-2004
Mocoso

i talked to my teacher about the riots, and he said that it all started because the government thought that chicanos or the pachucos were using up too much clothe, and that they didn't like the HUGE hats they wore, and tired to ban the zoot zuits. i told him about the sailors and he said that waz just put into the story, pero now imma print out some of the info and show him that it ain't no bullshit. teachers don't even know wha has happened on this land, either that or they ignore it.
Old 12-14-2004
Gunner

I believe they did at least originate in East L.A. and it happened right after Pearl Harbor. As for the suits themselves because of the war time economy, they had the money to buy the cloth for these suits.

Goofy, what u said about the concentration camps is also true, in fact you said u were up north right? Well in Idaho, for instance they still have them, calling them labor camps now where the migrant farm workers stay when they are up there for work. Some still have the barrack look to them, with cement floors and ajoining doors, somewhat creepy since they were kept there pretty much as prisoners.
Old 12-14-2004
Presidente

i thinkn that ZOOT SUITS might have originated in NYC, at least the suit it self. but the way it was worn and well how and were the big riot stuff happened was in East L.A and El Paso. well those were the major places yeah, but there were other places as well who had them, smaller numbers i believe. i even think that NYC the 'LATINO' and well blakcs had them as well and had soe small riots, but nothign like that with the mexicans, or so you never hear anyways about it. but i by far am no expert.
Old 12-14-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHaDoWeAvEr
I researched this in school also, and if I remember correctly this took place in 1942 when mexican americans were considered the criminal element of the city.
We are still considered a criminal element and please don't use this mexican american bull crap. Use Chicano.

Old 12-14-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Goofy
i talked to my teacher about the riots, and he said that it all started because the government thought that chicanos or the pachucos were using up too much clothe, and that they didn't like the HUGE hats they wore, and tired to ban the zoot zuits. i told him about the sailors and he said that waz just put into the story, pero now imma print out some of the info and show him that it ain't no bullshit. teachers don't even know wha has happened on this land, either that or they ignore it.
I don't know if you know, but a lot of history is hidden from us. You have to know that if you hide or destroy a person's history, you can mold them to whatever you want. You can even build them to act, speak, and dress if you take away their culture...

There's a lot of pics of sailors attacking the pachucos (or as the media use the use zoot suitors instead of pachucos.) and police using hoses and stuff. The zoot suit was the style for Chicanos. Even Cesar Chavez used a Zoot Suit as a teen (there's even pics of him dressed up with Jorge LeRand.).

Not sure if you seen movies Zoot Suit or American Me (just the beginning though). Zoot Suit I recommend bc it's a play/movie that is based on facts.

Old 12-14-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Tecpaocelotl wrote:
Quote:
Even Cesar Chavez used a Zoot Suit as a teen (there's even pics of him dressed up with Jorge LeRand.).
^^^WOW! This I GOOOOOTTTAAAA SEE!
Old 12-14-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita
Tecpaocelotl wrote:
Quote:
Even Cesar Chavez used a Zoot Suit as a teen (there's even pics of him dressed up with Jorge LeRand.).
^^^WOW! This I GOOOOOTTTAAAA SEE!
Yeah. I tripped out when I saw it. I especially tripped out when I saw Jorge right next to him. I only saw the pic twice. Once in a book and one in a documentary that was made locally.

Old 12-15-2004
Supporter
Veterano

^^^These pics are in a book you said? Do you have this book? Or know where I can find it?

My uncle has that movie Zoot Suit. Maybe we can watch it together, Tec?
Old 12-15-2004
*Mr*Manuel

Zoot suit riots started about On June 3, 1943.

http://www.losangelesalmanac.com/top...tory/hi07t.htm
Old 12-15-2004
Presidente

you know, that really sucks, i am really mad, i did not know that THE MEXICAN EMBASSY heklped to cover this up.

that is a slap in the fucking face, if ya ask me, or well hell even if ya dont ask me.
Old 12-15-2004
Gunner

Here are some news articles about the riots, there are a few that mention the Mexican Embassy and their reaction.

http://web.mala.bc.ca/davies/H324War...media.1943.htm

http://just-the-swing.com/doc/his/zoot-suit-riots.htm