Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Cultural Issues

Cultural Issues Anything about culture

Old 11-19-2013
Prospect

Default the dichotomy between chicano and native american

It is a well known fact that chicano's and native american's have basically the same bloodline, (just ask leonard peltier), however, if you compare the cultures between the two, then the difference is stark and immense. The evolution of the chicano culture, e.g., southern california is one that grew more militant, and "gang-identifiable" throughout the decades of the 1940's up to the present. This evolutionary trail was the result of experiences such as sleepy lagoon, and the zoot suit riots. My father was a victim of the later. While great strides have occured in the chicano community during the 1990's till the present, that have elevated chicano's in area's such as academia, economic opportunities, and overall greater respect from society as a whole, we must ask ourselves whether or not we need to be identified as a culture that needs gangs as part of an overall definition of who we are. Gangs were initially created, (rightfully so), as a source of protection against the white majority. That rationale is no longer viable. While it is true that racism, and cultural prejudice are still a reality in our world. It no longer requires "gangs" to protect us from a white society that is no longer the majority. Gangs, and the cultural nuances that define them, are culturally self-deprecating, personally abhorant, absolutely unnecessary in this day and age. They are an embarrasement from a societal perspective, horrifying from a personal perspective, and sterile from an intellectual perspective. Anyone who dissagree's with this view is either a gang member, or locked up in some archaic 1970's militant world view.
Old 11-20-2013
Veterano

Default Re: the dichotomy between chicano and native american

'It is a well known fact that chicano's and native american's have basically the same bloodline' it is?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 11-20-2013
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Bloodline is one thing, but culturally, politically and economically there is a drastic difference between Native Americans and Chicanos.
Old 11-20-2013
Veterano

There is plenty of diversity just amongst Chicanos.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 11-20-2013
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

LOL no shit...
Old 12-04-2013
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
Sounds like you dont want a discussion.You also sound like a white washed, piece of shit, ignorant fuck.I'm not condoning gang violence, but I sure as hell dont completely disregard gangs as a "culturally self-deprecating". It is part of our culture whether you like it or not.You say that from "a societal perspective, they are horrifying and sterile from an intellectual perspective". Your speaking for yourself here. If you want to eat from that self loathing pie,be my guest, but dont try to shove that shit down other peoples throat, especially in this forum.

"Gangs were initially created, (rightfully so), as a source of protection against the white majority. "

OK, so what would you consider proper "Protection against the white majority",? If gangs are not , according to your post, then what is?
You cant just downplay the role gangs have in communities currently, and not suggest a solution to the problem.

That rationale is no longer viable. While it is true that racism, and cultural prejudice are still a reality in our world.

So what your saying is that its OK for Racism, and cultural prejudices to still be a reality in our world?

BUT NOT GANGS
?

"It no longer requires "gangs" to protect us from a white society that is no longer the majority."

Just because white society is no longer the majority dont mean shit. There is institutionalized racism and discrimination rampant in our educational, criminal justice, law enforcement, and workforce system. You think that does not have a correlation with Gang affiliation? You must be out your gottdamn mind if you trying to ignore that fact and be in denial or some shit.
My goodness, you sound like an angry young lady. Just because institutionalized racism still exists in our society. It does not rationalize tatooing yourself with gang slogans and killing your own kind just because they happen to live in bakersfield for god's sake. Institutionalized racism will not dissapear until we destroy this generational menace to our own gente.
Old 12-04-2013
Mocoso

White society is no longer the majority? In America? They still have at least 60%

And you don't seem to actually be discussing a dichotomy between Mexicans and Indians, you casually mention Indians early on then start ranting about gangs.
Old 12-04-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by facetats View Post
My goodness, you sound like an angry young lady. Just because institutionalized racism still exists in our society. It does not rationalize tatooing yourself with gang slogans and killing your own kind just because they happen to live in bakersfield for god's sake. Institutionalized racism will not dissapear until we destroy this generational menace to our own gente.
you sound like Bill Cosby. Of course there's nothing rational about gang shit but these sort of things don't happen in a vacuum. How does one 'destroy' this menace to our gente? I would estimate that at least 96% of Chicanos have no gang affiliation.

Old 12-07-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Go on w ur bad self sweets!

Fuck all that model brown minority bullshit. I guess I could be considered one of those brown folks that "made" it in this world and at the same time I don't use my successes as a platform to denigrate our youth by ignoring the gargantuan obstacles and structures that inherently target and constrain them...

My fav line from this thread was: so ur cool w racism but not w gangs... Lol

Of course I paraphrased. But that was outstanding.

In a state like a California that massively profits from the criminalization of young brown and black bodies you think it's just a question of "gang" membership that holds down our people?

Ele oh ele.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 01-07-2014
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
http://boards.brownpride.com/showpos...69&postcount=1

I knew i had a bad vibe from this fool.

at Marco Rubio for President *SMFH*
i dont even know who that is. Was anyone else 'with him'?

Old 01-07-2014
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I'm kinda surprised he didn't come back to respond to this thread... Lol. I was waiting for some tired ass responses.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon