Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Religion

Religion Discuss your opinoins, faiths, beliefs, doubts, and/or philosophy.

Old 06-01-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Juan Soldado

What is everyone's opinion on him? Also, why is Juan Soldado considered Chicano culture? I still haven't figured it out. My family has a pic of him on the wall when the door hides when someone opens it. I guess that who my family prays to other than La Virgin de Guadalupe.

I looked online for more info and all I found was this:
http://www.newarkmuseum.org/rascon/

The guy died in Tijuana and our people treat him like a saint even though the church doesn't recognized him. I think I been thinking of it since my family went to his chapel in TJ a couple of weeks ago.

More on Juan Soldado:
http://www.xicano.com/juansoldado/index.html

I think the lesson of the story is don't listen to your commanding officer when he gives you weird things to do.

Anyway, my conclusion is that since our parents promised Juan Soldado something, that they pass it to us and so it becomes Chicano culture.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 09-13-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Default Juan Soldado? Rapist or Saint?

has neone ever heard of juan soldado? does neone believe in him as a saint?

the reason i ask this is b/c i just started reading a book on juan soldado..

it s pretty cool, written by a prof at san diego state....

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 09-13-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero
Default Re: Juan Soldado? Rapist or Saint?

Looks like wikipedia has a nice entry on him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Soldado

Samuel Adams
Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

yeah... but i would like to hear some folks' thoughts... u know nething bout him>?

i had never heard of him growing up or in school... i just picked up this book and its really interesting...

Juan Soldado: Rapist, Murderer, Martyr, Saint

by Paul J. Vanderwood

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 09-13-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

Never heard of him. I bet there must be a million folk saints out there. I never ran into this one before though.

Samuel Adams
Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

yeah... there r...

Old 09-13-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I posted about this a while ago.

My parents are a firm believers of Juan Soldado. Once a year, we go to his tomb.

Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

really??? can u post the link to the other thread?

Old 09-13-2006
The one and only
Presidente

//Topic Merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_arriero
Never heard of him. I bet there must be a million folk saints out there. I never ran into this one before though.
There's some parts of Mexico where Jesus has a twin.

Then there's Santa Muerte. That's practically everyone's fav which kind of goes with a history lesson along with it.

There was others (for example Juan Diego and Santo Toribio Romo), but they're saints now.

Then there's San Jenaro Sánchez Delgadillo, but my family have pics of him for personal reasons. We'll just say this story goes back 80 years ago.

Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

would u mind sharing? or is it personal?

Old 09-13-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow
would u mind sharing? or is it personal?
Mind what? I can go on on stuff like this.

Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

the story about y ur family or how ur fam believe in juan soldado?

Old 09-13-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow
the story about y ur family or how ur fam believe in juan soldado?
There's not much to the story. My dad was raised in Jalisco, but raised in Tijuana so would go to the tomb. My mom has heard of it from my aunt as a child. It's the reason why my parents don't want me to be in the military. They think my commanding officer will screw me over. They think that's what happened with that white chick private soldier at guantamo bay.

Old 09-13-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

i c....

Old 09-13-2006
Travieso

Wow, I just started a bit of a project about unoficial Saints. Started out as a crazy drinking binge, finding some money by a crossorad, and meeting San Simon. I've been talking to my dad about Jesus Malverde, kind of familiar with flacita too. I've never heard of Juan Soldado or San Jenaro Sánchez Delgadillo, any more links or stories you guys care to share?

"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor
Say there ain't no hope for the youth and the truth is
it ain't no hope for tha future
And then they wonder why we crazy
I blame my mother, for turning my brother into a crack baby
We ain't meant to survive, cause it's a setup
And even though you're fed up
Huh, ya got to keep your head up" -Tupac Amaru Shakur
Old 09-13-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_arriero
Looks like wikipedia has a nice entry on him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Soldado
wikipedia isn't a very good source...
Old 09-13-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteShotTheDeputy
Wow, I just started a bit of a project about unoficial Saints. Started out as a crazy drinking binge, finding some money by a crossorad, and meeting San Simon. I've been talking to my dad about Jesus Malverde, kind of familiar with flacita too. I've never heard of Juan Soldado or San Jenaro Sánchez Delgadillo, any more links or stories you guys care to share?
There are more links about them here:

Santa Muerte:

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9996

Cristero War - Many priest, nuns, and soldiers would become unofficial saints, but within the last 90's and this decade, many have became saints:

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686

Old 09-13-2006
Travieso

Thanks.

I remember reading the Sant Muerte thread. Met her in D.F. when I was like 9, but I've just started to make sense of that experience in the last 15 months or so. Going to look into that other thread too.

"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor
Say there ain't no hope for the youth and the truth is
it ain't no hope for tha future
And then they wonder why we crazy
I blame my mother, for turning my brother into a crack baby
We ain't meant to survive, cause it's a setup
And even though you're fed up
Huh, ya got to keep your head up" -Tupac Amaru Shakur
Old 11-10-2008
The one and only
Presidente

bump

Old 11-12-2008
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

damn... i was like way cordial to u tec back then... then i met u...

Old 11-17-2008
Fresh Meat!

Juan Soldado is buried en el panteon numero Dos en Tijuana. He has a tomb monument that serves like an altar. The walls inside and out are filled with letters and pictures of people who give thanks to him for miracles said to have been performed by him. The place is filled with candles. The tomb is very modest and is only the width and size of a small room. I don't really know the whole story, but from what I have heard say from my family and others is the same basics as those that you might have read already. He is said to have been wrongfully accused of raping and murdering a young girl, and subsequently stoned to death. The real culprit was said to have been his superior, but anyhow, when the real truth came to light, many people feeling guilty of having killed an innocent man began to visit his grave and light candles, plant flowers and say payers for him. Somehow, some people began to offer more than prayers, and in their plead for his forgiveness they began to ask of him favors. Miracles are said to have taken place when people devoutly asked of him and paid reverence to him, and so his visitors and his cult began to grow and expand, becoming very large in the decades that followed his death. I personally remember large crowds of people at the cemetery visiting his tomb and waiting in line. This was back in the late 1960s and early 1970s when I was still very young. We have family buried there, but today when I go there to take flowers and have some moments with my departed ones, I don't see nearly as many people nor visitors to la tumba de Juan Soldado as before, nowhere near like back in the day. I suppose the city has not only grown big in population, but it has become more modern, more cold with the times, where nobody really believes in miracles anymore. Where many give lip service to the old creencias, but don't really believe in them no more. The new miracle maker is plain and simple "El Dolar'. If you got dollars, you can make your own miracles happen. In this day and age even Las Iglesias are devoid of large numbers attending Misa, and those that you find in church on Sunday are mostly of an older age and those from the poor populace. Juan Soldado is from another age, from a past age when people todavia se tocaba el corazon, but today, in this day and age, Juan Soldado could be executed, shot to pieces and his head cut off, and the most he would get is a small news article on the next days paper, and soon there after forgotten about.

Last edited by Lonewolf; 11-17-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Juan Soldado is buried en el panteon numero Dos en Tijuana. He has a tomb monument that serves like an altar. The walls inside and out are filled with letters and pictures of people who give thanks to him for miracles said to have been performed by him. The place is filled with candles. The tomb is very modest and is only the width and size of a small room. I don't really know the whole story, but from what I have heard say from my family and others is the same basics as those that you might have read already. He is said to have been wrongfully accused of raping and murdering a young girl, and subsequently stoned to death. The real culprit was said to have been his superior, but anyhow, when the real truth came to light, many people feeling guilty of having killed an innocent man began to visit his grave and light candles, plant flowers and say payers for him. Somehow, some people began to offer more than prayers, and in their plead for his forgiveness they began to ask of him favors. Miracles are said to have taken place when people devoutly asked of him and paid reverence to him, and so his visitors and his cult began to grow and expand, becoming very large in the decades that followed his death. I personally remember large crowds of people at the cemetery visiting his tomb and waiting in line. This was back in the late 1960s and early 1970s when I was still very young. We have family buried there, but today when I go there to take flowers and have some moments with my departed ones, I don't see nearly as many people nor visitors to la tumba de Juan Soldado as before, nowhere near like back in the day. I suppose the city has not only grown big in population, but it has become more modern, more cold with the times, where nobody really believes in miracles anymore. Where many give lip service to the old creencias, but don't really believe in them no more. The new miracle maker is plain and simple "El Dolar'. If you got dollars, you can make your own miracles happen. In this day and age even Las Iglesias are devoid of large numbers attending Misa, and those that you find in church on Sunday are mostly of an older age and those from the poor populace. Juan Soldado is from another age, from a past age when people todavia se tocaba el corazon, but today, in this day and age, Juan Soldado could be executed, shot to pieces and his head cut off, and the most he would get is a small news article on the next days paper, and soon there after forgotten about.
My opinion on him is the reason why not so many believe in him and have a big following as he use to back then is the very church that many followers are devoted to are dismissing him. I think the church sees him as a rapist.

Old 11-18-2008
Maestro

Never heard of him and my parents never promised him anything.

The function of the law is not to provide justice or to preserve freedom. The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power. ~Gerry Spence
Old 11-18-2008
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Viva Malverde!
Old 04-16-2009
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
Viva Malverde!
He's the only unofficial saint that I know of that I don't like.