Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Entertainment > Books

Books Discuss here about your favorite reads.

Old 09-22-2005
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Default Book List for all

i just thought i d share some titles and brief descriptions of books that i have read or am in the process of reading...

The Broken Spears... i know a few of u folks are familiar w the books but for those who arent it is an account of the conquest through the eyes of the victims of the conquest of the "Aztec" empire

The Exception to the Rulers by Amy Goodman... this is a great read and goes through vital information connecting oil politicians, multinatiional corporations, and the media together with war and exploitation....

The Revolt of the Cockroach People... by Zeta Acosta... this book is really enjoyable and is a good lesson on what the power of the people can accomplish through organization and unity...

Revolutionary Suicide... this is the autobiography of Huey P. Newton one of the cofounders of the Black Panther Party. it is a great read and u through different stages in the life of this radical revolutionary...

Shadows of Tender Fury... this book is a compilation of the communiques and letters to the press from the Zapatistas during the first 6-9months... it is great to see what the zapatistas were fighting for and how organized the movement is and was... also sheds light on some of the dangers that the people have faced and continue to face at the hands of the military arm of the Mexican govt....

The Autobiography of Malcolm X... No explanation needed... A MUST READ!

Understanding Power.... this is a series of interviews, speeches, essays by the incomparable Noam Chomsky... he discusses everything from gender to cold war policies to the US's foreign policy in the present... great book to reference...

those r just a few... feel free to add some of ur favorites....

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 09-22-2005
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to LW_INA170 Send a message via MSN to LW_INA170 Send a message via Yahoo to LW_INA170

Damm...im in school and im writing in a mac......and is hard to save these title.....
macs dont have microsoftwords....that sucks...hope these tihis topic is on..
cause lately i feel like reading books again.......and dont know which.....
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! i hate college... well not really
Old 09-22-2005
Estudiante

Send a message via MSN to LadyBlue Send a message via Yahoo to LadyBlue Send a message via Skype™ to LadyBlue

woow.......i dont read alot..........but im a writte this titles down just in case.........
Old 09-22-2005
Karlos

Aztec Thought and Culture by Miguel Leon Portilla--- This is the every day life about the Mexica, how the schools were ran, how our ancestors as young females and males lived, etc. Very good book

Zapata & the Mexican Revolution by John Womack -- Written by an anglo but still a very good book and goes into detail about what kind of man Zapata was and what was his background

Eyewitness by Jesus Salvador Trevino --- I think this is the one of the best books on what happened in the Chicano movement

Pre-Columbian Literatures of Mexico by Miguel Leon Portilla -- This book is more about our ancestors and what they wrote, how they thought, their poems, etc. Its very deep and shows the psyche of our ancestors.

A Chicano Manual on how to handle Gringos by Dr. Jose Angel Gutierrez -- A good book on how twisted this world is

Message to Aztlan by Corky Gonzales -- Needs no explanation, every Chicano needs this book in their library

500 Anos del pueblo Chicano/ 500 years of Chicano history in pictures by Elizabeth Martinez -- Very good book on our gente, Although it doesnt really go back that far in history, it's still good to see pictures/actual proof of injustices done to our peoples

Youth Identity and Power by Profe Carlos Munoz Jr -- Probably the best book on Chicano movement with cold hard facts

Our word is our weapon by Subcomandante Marcos -- Very inspiring stories and poems, he does go off on a tangent sometimes but for the most part, good book.
Old 09-22-2005
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Testimony: Death of a Guatemalan Village... this is a personal account by a school teacher who witnessed and experienced first-hand the military repression that went on in Guatemala during the 1980s... it s heartwrenching... author is Victor Montejo...

Custer Died For Your Sins by the Vine Deloria Jr. talks about how native american issues and fights for justice are pushed to the fringe by mainstream culture in this country...

Red Earth, White Lies written by Deloria Jr. also attempts to debunk popular theories like the bering strait theory and other so-called "scientific facts" that say that native americans are not indigenous to this land....

Anarchism: From theory to practice... David Guerin critiques and explains what anarchy really is... it s a great little book that taught me a lot and helped guide me towards where i am politically today... does a great job of bringing together some of the ideas of some of the greatest political theorists of all time...

Any pamphlet or compilation of writings u can get ur hands on from Ricardo Flores Magon, Praxedis Guerrero or any of the other contributors to the Regeneracion newspaper staff...

First World HA HA HA! it s a book compiled of great essays that address some of the issues surrounding/involving the EZLN... really good book...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 09-22-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I'll add more books (hard to find, but worth it) that could influence many of you:

Looking 4 Aztlan written by Apaxu Maiz. To summarize the book, the book tells us to longer look for Aztlan, but instead, we need to build it.

Los manifiestos en nahuatl de Emiliano Zapata commentary by Miguel Leon-Portilla. Even though you can only find it in Spanish, unlike his other books, this books has an important lesson even though it's not stated in the book and it is to know the language of the people need an uprising. If you don't, you're not going to have a big army.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 09-22-2005
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

*The Daily Life of THE AZTECS, on the Eve of the Spanish Conquest

*Mexico Profundo

*Las Soldaderas

*Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo

*Fifteen Poets of the Aztec World

*Zapata and the Mexican Revolution

*There is this other book I was reading but lost it. It was in spanish, Chingados por 500 años or something like that...

*Bless Me, Ultima

*Lies My Teacher Told Me : Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

*Drink Cultura

*The Collected Poems of Octavio Paz, 1957-1987: Bilingual Edition

*Mexican Muralists: Orozco, Rivera, Siqueiros

*ESCRITURAS de Frida Kahlo
Old 09-22-2005
Travieso

Return of the Indian: Conquest and Revival in the Americas...Phillip Wearne, Foreword by Rigoberta Menchu

Roots of Chicano Politics, 1600-1949...Juan Gómez Quiñones

La Chicana...Evangelina Enríquez & Alfredo Mirandé

North From Mexico...Carey McWillams

The Great Rebellion: Mexico 1905-1924...Ramón Eduardo Ruíz

The Eagle and the Serpent...Martín Luis Guzmán

Mexican American Women Activists: Identity and Resistance in two Los Angeles Communities...Mary S. Pardo

There are more, but too many to name...

SOY XICANA Y QUE?
c/s
Old 09-22-2005
Karlos

Check this out Solitude http://www.librarything.com/
Old 09-24-2005
Prospect

Send a message via MSN to cucuy

Maria Felix
Autobiografia de Frida Kahlo
Mexico Before Cortez

They're pretty good books!!!
Old 09-27-2005
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Anarchism: and other essays emma goldman... this womyn was an intense activist in the states and throughout the world fighting for labor rights, womyn rights and has a great essay entitled women suffrage??? tis magnificent

A Little Matter of Genocide... ward churchill...

the pueblo revolt... for neone whos interested... i havent read it but i just got it and cant wait to dive into it... i skimmed through the beginning seems good... authors last name is roberts...

Old 10-09-2005
Travieso

Indigenous Peoples Day Reading from UCTP-United Confederation of Taino People:

To learn more about the truth, read:

*In Defense of the Indians by Bartolome de las Casas

* A People's History by Howard Zinn

* Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Louwen

* Rethinking Columbus by Bigelow and Peterson

*The Voyages of Christopher Columbus by Rex and Thea Rienits

* The Log of Christopher Columbus by Robert H. Fuson

* The Journal of Columbus by Clarkson N. Potter * 1421, The Year China Discovered America by Gavin Menzies

* America Discovers Columbus by John Noble Wilford

* The Conquest of Paradise by Kirkpatrick Sale

* The Columbus Dynasty in the Caribbean by Troy S. Floyd

* The Conquest of America by Tzvetan Todorov * Columbus & Cortez, Conquerors for Christ by Eidsmoe.

Other recommendations available upon email
request to:
uctp_ny@hotmail.com
or visit our website at:
http://www.uctp.org/

SOY XICANA Y QUE?
c/s
Old 11-30-2005
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Guerrillas: Journeys in the Insurgent World by Jon Lee Anderson (the same guy who wrote the most recognized biography on che guevara) this book is tight b/c it looks at five different insurgent movements throughout the world through the eyes of a journalist who was actually living among the people... it goes from El Salvador(FMLN), Palestine(Gaza Strip, the Shabbab), Western Sahara (Polisario), Burma (KNU), and Afghanistan.... it uses excerpts from interviews from the guerrillas themselves... it s pretty good....

Old 07-23-2009
Gunner

Default Re: Book List for all

Some good titles here. Is there a thread dedicated to "chicano" books?
Old 07-24-2009
Maestro

Spear Of Destiny

The Audacity of Hope.
Old 08-06-2009
Fresh Meat!

Has anyone read the book blood in my eye bye George Jackson? I want to read it but can never find it.
Old 10-24-2009
Gunner

Anyone know any good ones about the Vatican?
Old 01-02-2011
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

One of the best books I've read in my life. I've read it at least five times and never get tired of it.

Occupied America by Rodolfo Acuna

Should be read in middle school by all Mexican/Chicanos. Deep fucking book that really gets into our history.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Great book, short and sweet. I read it in one sitting, only takes a few hours. Very inspirational.

Already mentioned, Autobiography of Malcolm X
This book was honestly the beginning of my education. Changed my perception of this country and it hasn't gone back to what it was ever since.
Old 02-09-2015
Gunner

*BUMP*

Lot's of interesting titles that I will have to check out soon.

Gonna get lost in a book store this weekend for sure.

You make my heart flutter, like wings of a hummingbird. With you, my soul flies... <3
Old 07-04-2015
Estudiante

I just want to say thanks to a lot of people who posted their book list.. when i was younger and had a lot more time for reading, i read most of these books on here thanks to various postings.. and it helped me understand different perspectives on our own history, and history of other oppressed peoples throughout the world. as cliche as it sounds, being able to absorb all that, really molds you into who you become, how you express yourself, and figure out what you're passionate about, what you want to dedicate your life to, etc.. reading is so essential. i think it's the best thing you learn to do as a child, if you are fortunate enough.

tlazocamati for the knowledge is all i wanted to say.
Old 07-12-2015
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

That's good to hear.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez