Soy Chicano Forums

Soy Chicano Forums (http://www.soychicano.com/index.php)
-   Books (http://www.soychicano.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What books are you reading right now? (http://www.soychicano.com/showthread.php?t=7502)

sHaDoWeAvEr 01-08-2005 04:37 AM

What books are you reading right now?

So, Im just curious to know what are you all reading right now?
What made you decide on the book and what has caught your interests so far?

I just started re-reading the Odyssey by Homer. Its been a few yrs. since I last read it, and well, with the movie Troy just released it got me thinking about the books. So far it is reintroducing characters from the Iliad, and the Greek Gods are somewhat concerned over what the mortals are up to.

Okay, well now its your turn! :D

SDx 01-08-2005 04:39 AM

I actually just picked up a book yesterday to start reading...

Its "holler if you Hear me" ...a book on 2 pac n shit....

if that doesn't appeal...then i'm gonna read "1984" i've always wanted to read it, but never got around to it..

Meme 01-08-2005 04:49 AM

Rereading "The Art of War" Tsung Szu

Lowrider56 01-08-2005 08:38 AM

Right now I am reading this thread...jeje! Just kidding!

I am reading "The Children of Sanchez" an autobiography of a Mexican Family. I don't care for fiction, novels, etc. I like reading non-fiction, biographies, computer, historical documentaries, and chicano culture books. It is not unusual for me to go through an algebra or geometry book and work some problems when I am bored...weird, huh?

sHaDoWeAvEr 01-09-2005 04:34 AM

Quote:

...then i'm gonna read "1984" i've always wanted to read it, but never got around to it..
I think I've heard of this book, does it sort of have a political theme to it?

Quote:

Rereading "The Art of War" Tsung Szu
never heard of it...um I'm assuming it has something to do with war???? :oops:

Quote:

It is not unusual for me to go through an algebra or geometry book and work some problems when I am bored...weird, huh?
8O

just kidding! But I dont think I would be able to that even if i was bored!! :lol:

sHaDoWeAvEr 01-17-2005 10:38 AM

Ok, since no one answers this thread, I will answer myself :oops:

I'm reading People of the Fire - by Michael and Kathleen O Neal Gear. Good book! I have the whole series.

Oldsancho 01-17-2005 10:50 AM

Just finising up "Dave Pelzers" trilogy.

A Child Called It
The Lost Boy
A Man Called Dave

Seriously tragic account of a childs abuse at the hands of his mother. How "such things" were not discussed in "propper society" as late as the Seventies. His road to self worth and acceptance that what happened to him was never his fault.

He now speaks out for child protection and speaks throughout the country to motivate other abuse victims.

*Dedra* 01-17-2005 11:11 AM

well i just finished reading Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros..good book!

*Mr*Manuel 01-17-2005 12:21 PM

These posting... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :oops:

mich_mexican 01-17-2005 12:35 PM

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse by Peter Matthiessen it's a great book

Esa_l3aby-loca 01-17-2005 12:56 PM

LOL..1M R3AD1NG MA 3-MAIL :)

XicanaMiranda 01-19-2005 12:35 PM

sylvia browne's book of angels.....it's very interesting and i love sylvia browne...she's awesome.....and bobbi brown's beauty book b/c i'm a cosmo and i love make up.....i haven't really read a novel since last summer.....

sHaDoWeAvEr 01-26-2005 01:33 AM

The Diamond Throne - David Eddings

One of my favorites!!!!!!!! :wink:

deletedAccount 01-26-2005 02:00 AM

Chicano Prisoners: The Key to San Quentin

its kind of boring lol......hard to stick with it....but it is kind of interesting at times.

cHiCaNa_ChEvY_RiDaH 01-26-2005 07:54 AM

A Place to Stand by Jimmy Santiago Baca.

chihuahua_momma 01-26-2005 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldsancho
Just finising up "Dave Pelzers" trilogy.

A Child Called It
The Lost Boy
A Man Called Dave

Seriously tragic account of a childs abuse at the hands of his mother. How "such things" were not discussed in "propper society" as late as the Seventies. His road to self worth and acceptance that what happened to him was never his fault.

He now speaks out for child protection and speaks throughout the country to motivate other abuse victims.

Davel Pelzer is an amazing person. I had the opportunity to hear him speak at a conference a few years back. His survival is a testament to the resilience of children who are abused.

Oh I am reading Playing with Boys by Alisa Valdez-Rodriguez, I am not that impressed with it and I am only reading it because I got it as a Christmas gift. :?

LaChavela 02-04-2005 08:22 AM

Just finished the book "He's just NOT that into you". It is a very good book and I recommend it to any woman who is dating.

My brother always says when dating men, its not what they say, its what they do that counts. This book helps you to understand why he doesnt call, why he only calls when he is drinking, why he is married but calling you, and why you are worth more than he can treat you.

Its not a male bashing book, but a book that can help women gain a little more insight on what to do when you receive mixed signals from your man. :D

MJane 02-27-2005 07:46 AM

EAST SIDE DREAMS BY ART RODRIGUEZ

GOOD BOOK

LaChavela 02-27-2005 11:01 AM

Just started another book by James Clavell

Gai-Jin

about Japan and their resistance to trade with outsiders (white) set in the 1800's.

Cal 02-27-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavela351
why he only calls when he is drinking

Why is this? Just out of curiousity...

LaChavela 02-27-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmanani
Quote:

LOL cause he's sure you are the only one that will take him in all stinking and slobbering. He forgets about you when things go well, but he likes to be mothered when things arent - so you're it. :?

As women we think that awww he really cares about me if when he is drunk and his defenses are down he thinks of me - dont believe it. Thats your rationalization of trying not to mind for being dumb.

If he really loved you he would be there when he was sober and he would be taking you out with him. :D

deletedAccount 02-27-2005 12:56 PM

Advanced Unix Programming by Mark Rochkind

:D

Cal 02-27-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmanani
Quote:

LOL cause he's sure you are the only one that will take him in all stinking and slobbering. He forgets about you when things go well, but he likes to be mothered when things arent - so you're it. :?

As women we think that awww he really cares about me if when he is drunk and his defenses are down he thinks of me - dont believe it. Thats your rationalization of trying not to mind for being dumb.

If he really loved you he would be there when he was sober and he would be taking you out with him. :D

Jaja okay. I'm going to keep that book away from all females I know. Especially my sisters!! They don't need that imbedded in their heads. LOL.

We lose no matter what! LOL.

XEsAMoReNiTaX695 02-27-2005 02:44 PM

Im reading Forever My Lady By Jeff Rivera...and Remeber Me: the last story by Christopher Pike

sHaDoWeAvEr 02-27-2005 10:55 PM

The Mists Of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley

authurian legend, one of my faves!!!!!