Soy Chicano Forums

Soy Chicano Forums (http://www.soychicano.com/index.php)
-   Education (http://www.soychicano.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   education y nuestra raza (http://www.soychicano.com/showthread.php?t=19741)

Nelio 06-06-2006 12:14 PM

Re: education y nuestra raza

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professora
To this, I would add: We have too many Chicanos in trades. We need more Chicano physicians, CPAs, lawyers, educators, scientists, etc. We're not going to see an increase in these areas unless more Raza choose to attend traditional 4-year colleges/universities and advance to graduate and professional education. It's high time we step up to the plate in greater numbers.

As was mentioned previously, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread or section for those applying to institutions of higher education. I think that tons of Soy members have questions, and there are tons of us who can answer them. It would also help those who are not registered with Soy, but who are seeking information.

Maybe they want to be in trades, what is so wrong with being in a TRADE? What you think as a lawyer, educator, scientist, physician you hold some special power over the others? SO your choice is to take away the want for those to be themselves and pursue what they want, which might be a trade. Some like working on cars, no they love working on cars or painting them, so you would want to see them out of trades and into some stuffy boring job as a lawyer. ANd it would be boring to them. Do you think they do not have anything to offer in the way of teaching others? Can you do it?

Like i said and will keep saying, i do not knock those who go to the 4 yr places, but i do frown on those who think going to other schools or not going to school at all make people lesser then themselves.

I woud like to give and example, this guy is not a chicano or mexican, he is a white guy, but that doesnt matter, only the example. He is a reporter, he is new to the area, he came over from California. ANyways, while he moved up to a bigger size market, which is good, he was getting paid the same if not a litle more where he came from. He is in his early 30's i believe. He went the whole 4 yr college thing, has traveld and done work in the peace corp. Well with his student loans and the price to live he has gotten a part tie job to help him. Now that part time job is at a place called Panera Bread: http://www.panerabread.com/

While some laughed here at the station because he took the job as a CASHIER, i do not. I see it as a way to survive, others complain about money or they do not make it seem as they do not have any. They do not make that much, i as a hourly employee will make a little more then them at the end of the yr, but only because i get overtime. Now the point is, this man went to the 4yr college, he got his degrees in his field, he likes what he does, but what he does does not pay all his bills, so he went to a lower job to help with those bills. It is not a trade, but it is a "lower job" according to you and others. So desptie ones education, is is not about the money, which seems to be all you are worried about profesora, i could be wrong though. Not money to yourself, but money that people make.

Professora 06-06-2006 12:39 PM

Nelio, once again, you are missing the point.

We have a NEED for Chicano physicians, attorneys, etc. to help our community. Wouldn't it be nice for Raza to be able to go to see one of these people, and feel comfortable in knowing that he/she speaks the language, has the same culture, etc.? We need Raza in professional positions, too. Statistically, the majority of our people are in trades, and we are underrepresented in the professions I have listed. I was in no way putting down anyone, but you love to extrapolate for some reason, time and time again.

And by the way, where have I EVER SAID I WAS CONCERNED WITH MONEY? I've made many posts in which I said that I don't make as much as others working in education, and I am perfectly fine with that. I've also said that many of my friends don't make much, but do a lot with what they have.

I am getting really tired of reading your wild ideas about me and what I have to say. This will be the last time I entertain anything you have to say about me (about anything, really), because I find it useless to interact with you on these boards. You are welcome to any and all opinions you want of me and what I say, at any time--I just won't respond anymore. Let's get back on topic. Thanks. :)

1viejito 06-06-2006 12:41 PM

Nelio, You make no sense!

KoolArrow 06-06-2006 12:59 PM

Nelio,

Why have you been such a hyper-defensive little biatch lately?

Stop taking all of these threads so personal

Nelio 06-06-2006 07:30 PM

I do not need you to like what i have to say about you professora, i have no interesat in really getting to know you. I go by what i read you write. If that is not the real you, then not really my problem. Now once again, what makes you think that some of those "professionals" know exactly the language or the culture? Not saying they wont or dont, but lets entertain the idea, oh never mind you said you would not talk answer me any more, thats fine.

ANd because i do not make sense to some, does not mean i do not make sense.

As for you koolarrow, the answer is, i dont have an answer, simply because that is your own opinion.

SrChicano 06-06-2006 08:32 PM

What we Chicano/a's, Latino's, Hispanic's, M/A, etc. need are more people in all trades and professions. The problem is that fifty percent plus (50% +) are dropping out of basic schooling before finishing Jr./Middle school. That's disgraceful and will lead to many future problems for us all.

Now get busy and help someone. . .

Celestino 06-06-2006 08:56 PM

Suave i didn't feel you were singling me out, I apologize my statement might have seemed on the defensive side. i was merely stating the fact because i know i do bost about attending a university because i am proud of it, but i also wanted to point out that i do reach out to others.

I do feel that we need latino's/mexicanos in the trades but like SenorChicano stated many can't finish highschool. go to a trade school local JVS or something but educate yourself. I don't care if you are the best mechanic in your neighborhood in order to work at a shop you are need to get certified. Don't end up working in a fast food restaraunt because even if you get promoted to a manager do you really want to put up with high shcool kids all day?

LaChavela 06-06-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeñorChicano
What we Chicano/a's, Latino's, Hispanic's, M/A, etc. need are more people in all trades and professions. The problem is that fifty percent plus (50% +) are dropping out of basic schooling before finishing Jr./Middle school. That's disgraceful and will lead to many future problems for us all.

Now get busy and help someone. . .

I agree.

We need to get the people out of the dishwasher area and into the manager's position....

...They can only get there with other peoples help and encouragement.

Nelio, I understand exactly what you are trying to say. And I agree with you too. Just because you do go to a high powered college does not guarantee you success, and just because you graduated from a community college does not say that you will only go so far.........what does matter is your determination and your persistance in excelling in your field....

No job is too humble if it suits your purpose and pays the bills. But, there are people out there that have the intelligence and drive to do more, if only they can get the help and encouragment they need.

citlalin 06-08-2006 09:39 AM

Re: FREE GED Resources!!!

There are FREE GED online books and tests at the following government site:
http://www.petersons.com/airforce/books.asp?sponsor=8

It's a military recruitment site, so DON'T join the military afterwards LOL, unless you really believe it's for you (just my advice).

xicanachick 05-10-2010 05:40 PM

bump because I'm gonna re-read this again when I get home later

iluvskittles 05-11-2010 09:58 AM

Well, I personally love school..
i dont let people or
the mistakes i've done..
to get in the way with my education..
I'm a straight "A" student (no joke)
My dad is always on top of me..
encouraging me to succed
i already know how to speak 3 languages..
and im still want to learn more..
i want to go to college..or str8 to the university
im still suffering..thinking what i want 2 be when i grow up..
but im most likely interest in to be an Accountant..

so yeah..i guess im not that ignorant..at all.. :confused:

SJ 05-11-2010 10:41 AM

skittles
I hate the idea of pressuring high school seniors to decide what they want to be, while filling out college applications. It's important to start thinking about it but most really don't figure it out until their 2nd year(if that) Thankfully, most colleges do make it easy to switch majors or go undecided. But the competitive schools, want you to know, which is BS.

so yeah, don't pressure yourself too much about not knowing what to do. it will come to you eventually.

xicanachick 05-11-2010 10:42 AM

first year undeclared ftw!

FreedomNow 05-11-2010 01:04 PM

Indecisive losers!!!

Jk.

I started as a mathematics major. I love that shit but just wasn't ready or prepared to take on that venture at that point in my life.

xicanachick 05-11-2010 01:07 PM

Hmm. Being undeclared actually screwed me over...fuck. Pick something! lol.

xicanachick 03-22-2012 11:31 AM

Such a great thread and it gets lost amongst the thousands here. It made me tear up :/

SJ 03-22-2012 12:33 PM

XC, I forgot about this thread. But why did it make you tear up?

_aztec_princess_ 03-22-2012 01:51 PM

I will answer your questions with my opinions on education in this country, and with what I am learning in my sociocultural influences of learning class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ (Post 302965)
Why are so many of us discouraged from learning? Why don't we enjoy gaining knowledge? Why aren't enough of us following through our education? The most important question, how do we change this. what can we do to improve this?

Is learning not enjoyable for the majority? what's the cause of this? Is society responsible for making it a chore? or is there something else I am missing?

A lot of discouragement comes from the school system themselves. Teachers have high standards but low expectations for their minority students. My Professor says she has heard teachers say, little black kids will most likely end up in prison, IN THE THIRD GRADE! the same can be applied to our Hispanic children.

I don't think that children don't enjoy gaining knowledge. My boyfriend sadly dislikes school, but I believe it is because of the teachers he had, because he tells me his favorite teacher was in sixth grade. She made learning fun, and he enjoyed it then. Kids have different learning styles and a teacher should be adaptable and should be able to perceive this, so many Hispanic kids slip through the cracks because of this.

What can we do about it? It requires major change, major investment and a reform in what children are learning. For example, teach them about their culture, like really teach them, don't just superficially mention it. Also curriculum should relate to children's experiences, not WHITE children, but children of all colors. I tutor kids and have read problems that talk about camping, swimming lessons, etc. Mind you there are Hispanic families that do these things, but in general they are not as popular as with mainstream white culture.

Is learning not enjoyable for the majority? what's the cause of this? Is society responsible for making it a chore? or is there something else I am missing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ (Post 302965)
The solution is reaching to those who don't want or think they can learn. Make them realize that learning can be enjoyable if you find the right subject. Easier said than done. how are we suppose to reach out to so many kids that don't think they can make it? Or worst, have no interest in making it.

I think the problems, starts at a very young age. School is introduced as a chore. It must be introduced as something beneficial. Struggling in school, due to difficult subject matter, discourages many. Education turns it into a chore. Education and gaining knowledge is no longer fun. Teachers are not well paid. Rooms are packed. It's hard for teachers to concentrate on the struggling students and encourage them. It's up to us to encourage them. But how?

Maybe parents are partly to blame. Perhaps they are responsible for introducing education as a chore. Homework is a good example, parents telling their kids to do their homework, interrupting their favorite games. Many parents don't spend the time explaining why. All the kid is aware of, is that their fun time was just ended because of their "dumb teacher and his/her stupid homework"

My mom took the time to explain it to me, maybe this is why my education is my main priority right now and why that's always been the case in my life. There was big encouragement in highschool. I belong to a program aimed for us, to guide us in the right educational paths. Without this, I wouldn't know the first thing about what the UC or state requirements were. The importance of the SAT's. the benefits to those 'difficult" ap courses, etc.

The people I hanged out with, were also a big part of that. I surrounded myself around people who cared about their education. It was difficult to slack off, when your friends took education seriously. We weren't nerds. We were just aware.

thoughts? I will write more about this later.

I think you are looking at the wrong place for change. You are suggesting the problem lies within the children and within the culture, and that is exactly the problem. Schools believe it is their job to "fix" our children, that the Hispanic culture and values are deficient.

I don't think that the parent intends to introduce homework as a chore, by making the child get it done they are demonstrating how much they care about their child's education, even if that is the way it is perceived.

I have so much more to say but that is it for now.

xicanachick 03-22-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ (Post 1479758)
XC, I forgot about this thread. But why did it make you tear up?

Reading over it, this thread is a treasure trove of knowledge. And yet, it's lost amongst so many ridiculous threads. It's disappointing to think that Soy was once a place where you could find tons of members with years of knowledge and experience in so many fields like Citlatlin, Professora, and many more and that's no longer the case. I have experience to share (but I'm still in the midst of figuring things out myself) and so do others like FreedomNow, Celestino (but unfortunately they're not on that much due to their busy schedules) etc. It's disappointing that Soy isn't a place where young Chicanos/Latinos can find information and guidance like before. I'm probably just rambling and I'll get off my soapbox now.

tecpaocelotl 03-22-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xicanachick (Post 1479773)
Reading over it, this thread is a treasure trove of knowledge. And yet, it's lost amongst so many ridiculous threads. It's disappointing to think that Soy was once a place where you could find tons of members with years of knowledge and experience in so many fields like Citlatlin, Professora, and many more and that's no longer the case. I have experience to share (but I'm still in the midst of figuring things out myself) and so do others like FreedomNow, Celestino (but unfortunately they're not on that much due to their busy schedules) etc. It's disappointing that Soy isn't a place where young Chicanos/Latinos can find information and guidance like before. I'm probably just rambling and I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hey! SJ and I have degrees. :evil: LOL.

I understand what you're saying. We got to get others who have degrees and possibly bring them back.

Facebook is slowly getting over rated. Tracking too much personal information. If we can advertise outside of soy that we don't track information (unlike facebook), we could get people on soy.

xicanachick 03-22-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl (Post 1479774)

I understand what you're saying. We got to get others who have degrees and possibly bring them back.

Facebook is slowly getting over rated. Tracking too much personal information. If we can advertise outside of soy that we don't track information (unlike facebook), we could get people on soy.

Really? Bet ya that not most people on Soy knew that! :mrgreen:

But that's kind of the point also if you get me. I'm sure a lot of members have post-secondary education/experience worth sharing with the younger generations...it's just not happening here unfortunately.

Facebook is definitely starting to piss me off. lol. It's too ingrained into so many things in my regular life and I don't like it. Although some things about it are great, it's getting too big for it's own good IMO.

tecpaocelotl 03-22-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xicanachick (Post 1479783)
But that's kind of the point also if you get me. I'm sure a lot of members have post-secondary education/experience worth sharing with the younger generations...it's just not happening here unfortunately.

Facebook is definitely starting to piss me off. lol. It's too ingrained into so many things in my regular life and I don't like it. Although some things about it are great, it's getting too big for it's own good IMO.

If you're pissed off with facebook, imagine how many people have that same feeling. Now imagine some of us exploiting that frustration to get new members on here especially educated or people trying to get an education.

We could write something like:
Facebook becoming too overwhelming? Too big for its own good? Taking all your personal information?
Why not go ol' school with more privacy, join soy chicano (with a link).

Or something in that context.

_aztec_princess_ 03-23-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl (Post 1479774)

Hey don't forget about me, I graduate in one year, and I am taking a lot of relevant courses, like social justice, social cultural influences on learning etc.

I am still learning, and trying to decipher my own opinions and beliefs, but I think I have good stuff to offer.

Nina 03-23-2012 03:23 AM

^What are you studying again?

Social Work? Sounds like it.

Honestly, I don't see Soy as an source for wisdom and enlightening information (I don't think anyone does). Although I do see how it used to be, with all the informative threads and discussions, but most of it leads to shit talking and bullshitting anyways. People get on the defense and then it spirals out of control. Now all we do is bull shit. Most of us anyways. I believe part of the reason with the lack of contributing members has to do with the fact that none of us take Soy seriously anymore. People see that all we do is bullshit and banter with one another and are either too intimidated to post or feel like this site only has thread games to offer because that's what's on the front page. I was never a serious poster because frankly, I joined when I was really young; and well now, all Soy is, is a good laugh (at best).

In part I agree with Aztec Princess, but I do not believe that the problem with our educational systems lies solely on the school system itself. Its in issue that dives deeper than that. Several different factors contribute to the issues we are facing with our youth. This includes societal expectations, lack of encouragement, lack of financial resources, lack of stability, lack of challenging school curriculums, the information age and so on. Many of us are used to having access to information in less than a second, and although we have access to a vast amount of information, many of our attentions spans are declining. As a result, much of our youth today find actively learning and taking part of their own education too challenging. My experiences with education have not been to negatively impacted by my culture. My father has always instilled the value of education for his children. If it wasn't for him, I don't think I'd be where I am today. Although, many of my friends didn't/don't have that support. Growing up my teachers didn't really encourage me to pursue higher education, my father did and family did. In order to fix our educational system today, we have to change many aspects and factors, including our schools' curriculums. AP is right when saying that individuals learn the material in different ways and as a result teaching a whole classroom the same way will probably not produce the results we all want to see. But reforming our ways of teaching so that every individual is accommodated is tedious and time consuming as well. That's why I believe that in order to help our youth become successful we have to make changes from all aspects of our lives. From the encouragement they need and deserve from their families, and society in general, to engaging them and attracting them to becoming more active learners, to training teachers to be aware of students' individual strengths and weakness and use those to accommodate their learning when possible.....

_aztec_princess_ 03-23-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nina (Post 1479800)
^What are you studying again?

Social Work? Sounds like it.

In part I agree with Aztec Princess, but I do not believe that the problem with our educational systems lies solely on the school system itself. Its in issue that dives deeper than that. Several different factors contribute to the issues we are facing with our youth. This includes societal expectations, lack of encouragement, lack of financial resources, lack of stability, lack of challenging school curriculums, the information age and so on. Many of us are used to having access to information in less than a second, and although we have access to a vast amount of information, many of our attentions spans are declining. As a result, much of our youth today find actively learning and taking part of their own education too challenging. My experiences with education have not been to negatively impacted by my culture. My father has always instilled the value of education for his children. If it wasn't for him, I don't think I'd be where I am today. Although, many of my friends didn't/don't have that support. Growing up my teachers didn't really encourage me to pursue higher education, my father did and family did. In order to fix our educational system today, we have to change many aspects and factors, including our schools' curriculums. AP is right when saying that individuals learn the material in different ways and as a result teaching a whole classroom the same way will probably not produce the results we all want to see. But reforming our ways of teaching so that every individual is accommodated is tedious and time consuming as well. That's why I believe that in order to help our youth become successful we have to make changes from all aspects of our lives. From the encouragement they need and deserve from their families, and society in general, to engaging them and attracting them to becoming more active learners, to training teachers to be aware of students' individual strengths and weakness and use those to accommodate their learning when possible.....

I completely agree. I do not believe that our educational system is only to blame. It is a complicated issue with so many different factors.

And I absolutely agree with training teachers to look at student's strengths. Our culture has many values which are many times overlooked or not deemed valuable. For example, life skills. Many of our kids are excellent interpreters / know about different trades (Maybe engines / or about a sewing machine) / they also know how to take care of themselves (if they are left at home because their parents work). Yet they may not have a computer at home, or cable where they could watch the history channel, they don't go to boy scouts, so therefore they are judged on what they lack and now what they can offer.

yes, I am a social work major (also doubling in Psychology). Yet I am a part time tutor (for elementary aged children), thus my interest in education.