Soy Chicano Forums

Soy Chicano Forums (http://www.soychicano.com/index.php)
-   Finance, Business, & Employment (http://www.soychicano.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Life Insurance (http://www.soychicano.com/showthread.php?t=39148)

chicana323 03-10-2008 07:05 PM

Life Insurance

Do you have Life Insurance on yourself?? How much and why? I have 250k on me and my hubby, you just never know, and I want my children well protected if something does happen...

A couple of weeks ago my hubby's cousin was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer, she is a single mother of 30 years of age with 2 children ages 2 and 7... and no life insurance :(

Just a thought....

btw, if any of you are interested let me know 30 year term for about 250k is really inexpensive about $30 a month for someone under 30 years and healthy..

chicana323 03-10-2008 07:13 PM

Re: Life Insurance

Tell me about it... She had just come back from a trip from Latin America, she got so bloated they couldn't recognize her anymore, at first they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her but when they opened her up they realized it, her cancer has spread to all her organs especially the liver, she is out now and doing chemo but she pretty much has no hope... :(

Professora 03-10-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicana323 (Post 844080)
Do you have Life Insurance on yourself?? How much and why? I have 250k on me and my hubby, you just never know, and I want my children well protected if something does happen...

A couple of weeks ago my hubby's cousin was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer, she is a single mother of 30 years of age with 2 children ages 2 and 7... and no life insurance :(

I am sorry to hear about your loved one. That is really sad. :(

My workplace provides life insurance, and I bought extra on top of what they offer. Then I also have an outside policy. You're right--you just never know.

MuchoMuyKrazy 03-10-2008 07:16 PM

I got insurance since my son was about 3 because you never know he is now 14 and I have to say I know when I am long gone him and his sisters will be fine...Some ppl just don't think it can happen to them.. but me i learned from my dad he didn't have any and he had a stroke at age 33 and still didn't get any.. and well he passed about 4yrs ago and left us with all the bills and plus my mom stayed w/a 15 and 14 yr old and i got to see first hand how badly it's needed.

chicana323 03-10-2008 07:23 PM

You also have to try and get it while you are young, because it's cheaper, if you wait til ur old it get's pretty expensive to where you can't afford it.

Nelio 03-10-2008 07:23 PM

I have to check up on it, cause i dont think i have had a auto withdrawal from it in a while. But i believe it was like 25k. I dont need much, i really only have my car payment and student loans. The car will be paid off if i die. And i dont plan to be buried like normal. FUck a coffin, if i get buried and if i am going to get cremated, shit build a fucking fire out in the front yard.

Professora 03-10-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicana323 (Post 844123)
You also have to try and get it while you are young, because it's cheaper, if you wait til ur old it get's pretty expensive to where you can't afford it.

That's exactly why I added to my employer-provided policy now. They only charge me about $2 a month for a ton of extra life insurance.

luangelie 03-10-2008 07:31 PM

Is better to be prepare, plus you have so many options out there and some of them are inexpensive.

chicana323 03-10-2008 07:34 PM

^^^ Do you have any children cause 25k is nothing nowaways.. Well even if you don't might consider leaving somethin for ur mom , grown children are the ones that take care of their parents when they are elderly...

Nelio 03-10-2008 08:38 PM

No i dont have any children and i think if any money is left then i believe i am leaving it to my eldest nephew. My mom has her own life insurance and retirement plans.

I only got the life insurance because it gave me another rebate on my auto insurance at the time. It only like 12:50 a month. And really, 25 might not be much, but it is enough to cover my funeral cost and probably have some left. I honestly think the price of burial and all that stuff is way over priced. But thats just me. Wrap me in a big ass blanket and put me in the ground.

SuaveHighTimes 03-11-2008 05:11 PM

If you have a family history of cancer, you should look into supplemental health insurance that compliments existing HMO's and PPO's. Like Aflack.

~nessa~ 03-11-2008 05:17 PM

LOL check you out Suave! Already in the sales mode... :lol:

SuaveHighTimes 03-11-2008 05:18 PM

lol, na-uh. Call me, we'll talk it over and you can tell me what you think.....i swear, no obligation whatsoever! lol.

~nessa~ 03-11-2008 05:22 PM

Don't I get a discount? Since youre my e-bff? LOL

Cal 03-11-2008 05:24 PM

Of course I have life insurance.

SuaveHighTimes 03-11-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariposa (Post 845288)
Don't I get a discount? Since youre my e-bff? LOL

Deal, but then you give some references too :cool:

~nessa~ 03-11-2008 05:42 PM

Yeah but I already have 2 friends that sell life insurance as well... LOL

chicana323 03-11-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHT (Post 845273)
If you have a family history of cancer, you should look into supplemental health insurance that compliments existing HMO's and PPO's. Like Aflack.

You sell aflac??

maria 03-11-2008 10:20 PM

I haven’t purchased any yet but maybe its because I don’t have any large debts.

I am looking to get some life insurance here shortly…while I can get a it a cheaper price.

deleted user [001] 03-11-2008 10:38 PM

Yes, I get life insurance through my employer plus I have a separate policy. I want to make sure that if anything ever happens to me that my child and family are set.

I have also set up a trust fund for my child and nephew that they can access after they turn 25.

chicana323 03-11-2008 10:43 PM

Ok so here is a harder question! What kind of policy do you have??

I have a 30 year term for 250k, why because that is all that I can afford right now, and something is better than nothing. I would prefer a Universal Life but it's like $100 a month and I can't afford it right now, I hope to convert my term soon though, why? because universal life builts cash value and the premium is guaranteed to age 100.... With term the premium is guaranteed until the term is up and then u don't have any more insurance or you have to get a new policy and if ur old and sick then forget about it!

deleted user [001] 03-11-2008 10:54 PM

The policy from my employer is one and a half times my salary and the policy I pay for is universal life. I have to check my bank account to see exactly how much I pay in monthly premiums. I've had that policy for at least 15 years now.

My little one will be set for life if anything should anything ever happen to me.

SoyCatracho 03-11-2008 11:12 PM

If you have dependents it's downright irresponsible to not have life insurance. Leaving your family stuck with all the bills and everything?

Why do you think when a Latino dies familias suffer from anguish and sorrow? Because the dead fool did not have a life insurance policy and the family is stuck with funeral costs, mortgages, rent, car payments, raising kids, and other month to month bills.

Anglos are full of joy and glee shortly after one of them dies because they know someone is about to get PAID!!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...einsurance.png

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...einsurence.jpg

SoyCatracho 03-12-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsagleaming (Post 845723)
i think disability insurance might be more important than life insurance, is it true that more ppl are going to be disabled for a long period of time than to die quickly?

You should have life, long-term and short-term disability.

SoyCatracho 03-12-2008 12:52 AM

My series 6 license expired long ago, so I am not the one to go to for advice anymore. LOL.

I dunno. Let's see---I have short-term and long-term disability insurance through my company. I am not sure which insurance company holds those policies of mine, though.

As far as life insurance is concerned there are tons of AAA companies to go with. Finding affordable term-life insurance from any one of those companies is key. I suppose you can take a look at quotesmith.com or something like that.

I would stay away from whole life and the like and just get simple term life insurance. That's as much as I can say.