PDA

View Full Version : Nahuatl Names

Xican01
08-31-2004, 01:07 AM
post some up, and what they mean. my older brother recently had a little boy and wanted to go with one but ended up naming him after his own name. i like the way they sound though.

my other brother has a gf that has 4 sisters, all with nahuatl names. not spelled right but something like:

iztaczihuatl (spelling ?)
tonanzin
quetzalcoatl
mitzlihualcoyotl (or something like that)
zochi (short for some other name...cant think of it now though...zochimilco or however you spell it?)

netzahualcoyotl (quetzalcoatl's daughter)

YolotlAztecatl
08-31-2004, 01:12 AM
Yolotl Aztecatl : means: heart of an Aztec.

Xican01
08-31-2004, 01:13 AM
is that your name? i see that on your poems you put a different name.

tecpaocelotl
08-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Tecpaocelotl, flint jaguar.

YolotlAztecatl
08-31-2004, 01:17 AM
on my poems it appeas like that cause my birth name is Fatima, but i believe we should all change our names to Nahualt because it acknowleges our past ancestors. So I'm Changing my name to Yolotl Aztecatl.

tecpaocelotl
08-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Right on, sista.

Xican01
08-31-2004, 01:22 AM
you doing it officially? o are you just saying... (no offense).

jeje, kinda like how black people say their "slave name" is bla bla and then pick an african name to take over it. thats coo, i agree with you on that.

recent studies have shown that your name has an impact on getting a job. employers tend to hire people with names that follow the "norm", so i guess that can be one downside to it :? .

YolotlAztecatl
08-31-2004, 01:27 AM
xicano;

im not just talkin out of my ass. lol. i started the paper work for it in early june.. it takes a while,. i am aware that people do tend to hire people with "normal" names but i dont care. That's part of the reason why i struggled with that decisionl. but then i realized that i wanted to risk it. it's worth it. Plus I want to be a teacher, and my name will educate my students. so i'm not worried.

tecpaocelotl
08-31-2004, 01:28 AM
xicano,
That's descrimination. You can sue. LOL.

Yolotl,
That's cool you want to become a teacher. Do what you got to do to educate our people.

Xican01
08-31-2004, 01:36 AM
that is hella coo you want to be a teacher. my brothers gf, "iztac" is also a teacher for i believe 2nd or 3rd grade? serio with a name like that it will hopefully open their eyes and make them want to learn a little history later on down the line.

and tecpaocelotl, it is discrimination, but how is one to know whether or not it is happening? sucks..

i think im gonna go file some paperwork tomarrow, change my name to Joseph. hell no, just kidding.

YolotlAztecatl
08-31-2004, 01:45 AM
xicano:
i sent u some pics del CHE to ur e-mail. i hope u like them.
and yeah, i hope that my name will encourage my students to want to reseach theire past, and maybe even spark the desire to change theire names. who knows?

hope u like the pics. let me know.

YolotlAztecatl
08-31-2004, 03:02 AM
how's this for a list of nahualt names and meanings: i hope this is of some help:

NAHUALT NAMES

AKAPICHTLI : handful of reeds
AKATL : water reed
AKAUXOCHITL : sunflower
AKAZIHTLI : hare of the reed bed
AKETZALLI : precious water
AKOLNAWATL : near the waters bend
AKOWATL : aquatic serpent
AKZAYAKATL : universe observer
AMEYALXOCHITL : spring flower ( water spring )
ATLANXOCHITL : sea flower
ATLETL : fire and water ( life, multiple force )
AWACHTLI : morning mist
AXIUHTLI : turquoise
AXOLOWA : he who has ajolotes ( type of lizard )
AYOTOCHTLI : turtle rabbit ( armadillo )
CHALCHIWITL : that which is precious
CHIAUKATL : caterpillar serpent
CHIKOEHEKATL : seven wind
CHIMALAXOCHITL : water flower shield
EHEKAKOWATL : air serpent
EHEKATL : the wind
ILWIKATL : cosmos
ILWITEMOK : descending cosmos
ITZAKOYOTL : white coyote
ITZAKPAPALOTL : white butterfly
ITZKOWATL : obsidian serpent
ITZPAPALOTL : butterfly of light
IXTLILIPAKATL : happy face
IXTLILTON : black face
IXWALXOCHITL : flowery plant
IZPAPALOTL : obsidian butterfly
IZTAKAZTATL : white stork
IZTAKECHOLLI : white flamingo
IZTAKIAWITL : white rain
IZTAMIXKOWATL : cloud serpent
IZTAMIZTLI : white cloud
IZTAMOTZAN : white horse
IZTATLOTLI : white sparrowhawk
IZTAZONTLI : white hair
IZTATLAOLLI : white corn
IZTAXOCHITL : white flower
KECHOLLIKETZALLI : precious flamingo
KETZALIWITL : precious world
KETZALIZTLI : emerald
KETZALKEN : ketzal clothing
KETZALKIWITL : precious rain
KETZALKOWATL : precious serpent
KETZALMAKITZU : ketzal bracelet
KETZALTOTOTL : precious bird ( ketzal )
KETZALZIWATL : precious woman
KETZAXILOTL : primordial corn
KIAKETZALLI : precious rain
KIAUHTEKATL : lord of the rain
KIAWITLETL : rain of fire
KOCHIPILLI : sleepy child
KOPILLIKETZALLI : precious headdress
KOWAPAKI : happy serpent
KOWATLAKTOA : talking serpent
KOWATLAWAK : celestial serpent
KOYOTL : coyote
KOZAUTLEKWILLI : yellow brazier
KOZKAKUAHTLI : necklace eagle
KUAUHIXTLI : eagle face
KUAUHKOATL : eagle serpent
KUAUHPITZAWAK : thin tree
KUAUHPOPOKA : smoking tree
KUAUHTEMOK : descending eagle
KUAUHTLEKO : ascending eagle
KUAUHTOCHTLI : tree rabbit ( squirrel )
KUAUHTONAK : solar eagle
KUAUHXIKALLI : water gourd
KUAUHZIN : respectable water
KUAUHZIWATL : eagle woman
KWIKAPEUPEKAYOTL : song begginings
MAKWILXOCHITL : five flower
MALINALLI : small herb
MALINALXOCHITL : herbal flower
MATLALWIKATL : blue sky
MATLALKOWATL : dark blue serpent
MATLALTOTOTL : blue bird
MATLALXOCHITL : blue flower
MAZAKOWATL : deer serpent
MAZATL : deer
MELANKAYOMEXIKA : true Mexikan
MEXIKATL : Mexikan
MEZTLIXOCHITL : lunar flower
MIAWATL : maize ear
MIAUHXOCHITL : maize flower
MIKIZTLI : restless or stillness ( death )
MIKTLANTEKUHTLI : lord of the stillness
MIZKOWATL : cloud serpent
MIZTLI : pluma
MOWANIPAHPAKI : with you im happy
NANAKATL : mushroom
NANZIWAN : dear mother
NAWAYAKATL : four reed
NAWIMAZATL : four deer
NAWIOLLIN : four movement
NAWITEKPATL : four stone
NIMITZTLAZOHTLA : i love you
NIYOLPAKI : i m happy
OHTOKANI : traveler
OMETOCHTLI : two rabbit
OZELOPAN : ocelot banner
OZELOTL : ocelot
OZOMATLI : monkey
PAINALZITLI : fast hare
TEATZELWANI : he who brushes with water
TENOCH : hard prickly pear
METL : maguey
TEOTLETL : energy of fire
TEKITZILWITL : venerable hummingbird
TETLAZOHTLANI : love giver
TEZKATLIPOKATL : black smoking mirror
TEZKAWITZIL : hummingbird of mirrors
TEZAPAPALOTL : respectable ash butterfly
TLAHAYESTLI : red blood
TLAKAYAOTL : man of war ( warrior )
TLALTEKATL : person of the earth
TLALTEKUHTLI : lord of the earth
TLAMAKAZKE : wiseman
TLANEZATL : morning dew
TLATLAUKITEZKATL : red mirror ( sun )
TLALYOLLOTL : heart of the earth
TLAZOZIWAPILLI : young loveful girl
TLILKOWATL : black serpent
TLILKWETZPALLIN : black lizard
TLILTLOTLI : black sparrowhawk
TLILTOTOTL : black bird ( crow )
TOCHKWITLAPILLI : young rabbit face
TOLTEKATL : an artist
TONALPAPALOTL : solar butterfly
TONALKOZKATL : solar necklace
TOPILLI : our son
TOTAHTLI : our father
TOTOLANAWAK : bird of Anawak
TOZITLI : our grandmother
WETOCHTLI : old rabbit
WEZIPAKTLI : old caiman
WITZILATL : water hummingbird
WITZILLIWITL : hummingbird feather
XIUHKOZKATL : turquoise mirror
XOCHIKETZALLI : beautiful flower
XOCHIKOZKATL : beautiful necklace
XOCHILIZTLI : moon dream
XOCHIMETL: maguey flower
XOCHIMITL : flower arrow
XOCHIPAPALOTL : flower butterfly
XOCHIPITZAWAK : small flower
XOCHITLAKETZALLI : small evening flower
XOCHITLAKTOLL : he who possesses the waters
XOCHITLANEXTLI : morning flower
XOKOWATL : dear cocoa
YAOKWIXTLI : sparrowhawk of war
TOAZIWATL : woman warrior
YETLANEZI : cosmic morning
YOLOHXOCHITL : heart flower
YOLPAKILIZTLI : happiness
ZANTZONMEKATL : four hundred ropes
ZEMPOWALXOCHITL : twenty flower
ZITLALKOWATL : serpent of the stars
ZITLALLI : star
ZITLALMAKWAWITL : baton of stars ( makwawilli )
ZITLALPOPOKATL : comet
ZITLALTLAZOH : star of my love

ChicanoAngel
08-31-2004, 04:43 AM
those are realy cool names

deletedAccount
08-31-2004, 09:25 AM
I dont think I will change my name, but my kids will definitely have nahuatl names, at least a first or middle. =)

Xican01
08-31-2004, 11:33 AM
I dont think I will change my name, but my kids will definitely have nahuatl names, at least a first or middle. =)

a lot of those would make some really coo names, thanks. and thats a good idea. my brothers gf's sister named her girl corina netzahualcoyotl (spelling) soto. i forgot where i saw it, think it was here, but suposably in mexico tradition is that a person goes by their second of two names. they call the girl corina mostly though.

MexicaPride
08-31-2004, 11:57 AM
wow those are some of the best names i have seen yolotl; did you make them yourself? i like Kochipilli, Tlanezatl, Tlalyollotl, and Xochiketzalli

MexicaPride
08-31-2004, 12:23 PM
xican01, i wonder if that girl knows her name Iztaczihuatl means white woman? haha kind of ironic for a Mexican name. Out of the context of the spanish invasion and occupation though, it would be a good name i suppose.

I work at a school in the inner city and damn i am amazed at how many kids have Nahuatl names. i think it's beautiful. the sad part is that many of the kids don't know the meaning of their names and i have to tell them. some dont even know their names are Azteca/Mexica! my favorite so far was a student whose name was Ahuitzilli (water hummingbird) and the funniest was a student whose name was Chilcoatl which means chile serpent. hehe

Xican01
08-31-2004, 10:36 PM
yea, she and all her sisters know and are proud of what their names stand for. their dad is a professor (MA) of xicano/mexican american history, anthropogy, spanish, and others. so he knew what he was doing when he chose the names. i just asked my brother why that name and he just said because her dad liked it. it is also a famous mountain in mexico and also means sleeping woman (because the mountain looks like a sleeping woman). it is that woman seen in the famous aztec drawing where some aztec dood is holding a woman in his arms that looks as if she is dead.

but yea, pretty much, he liked the name (way it looks, sounds). i think its nice :D .

tecpaocelotl
08-31-2004, 11:17 PM
The girl in the drawing is dead. Not sure if you know the story... :? I do... :D

Xican01
08-31-2004, 11:19 PM
nah, not too familiar with the story, just the drawing.

tecpaocelotl
08-31-2004, 11:22 PM
Wanna hear about it? Should I make it a new post?

Xican01
08-31-2004, 11:29 PM
i think it would be better if you posted a new post for all to see :D .

tecpaocelotl
08-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Oh ok. Will take me a while to write it. I will call it "Lovers".

Xican01
08-31-2004, 11:42 PM
orale. you know, the US school system would never allow this, but i think it would be awsome to have a class that tought all this to young xicanos here in the US at a young age.

tecpaocelotl
09-01-2004, 12:01 AM
I learn a lot of what I knew at a young age, my friends in high school, and a spanish class I took in high school (that's where I found out that El Salvador that Nahuatl was their second language). I hear the lover song three times in my life; when I was small, with my friends, and my spanish class.

MexicaPride
09-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Xican01 Wrote:
orale. you know, the US school system would never allow this, but i think it would be awsome to have a class that tought all this to young xicanos here in the US at a young age.

there is actually an entire school dedicated to teaching young Xicanos here in amerikkka about Mexicayotl. all it takes is for a dedicated person to open a charter school. check it out:'

http://www.dignidad.org

Mexica Tiahui

tecpaocelotl
09-01-2004, 12:41 AM
there is actually an entire school dedicated to teaching young Xicanos here in amerikkka about Mexicayotl. all it takes is for a dedicated person to open a charter school. check it out:'

http://www.dignidad.org

Mexica Tiahui

I think I heard of that school. Is that one in LA, right?

MexicaPride
09-01-2004, 12:47 AM
yup...right in the heart of east los

tecpaocelotl
09-01-2004, 01:02 AM
I heard of it. :D

MexicaPride
09-01-2004, 02:10 AM
i visited the school once and damn man, seeing all those kids walking around with pride and huge smiles on their faces. dancing the Mexica dances, wearing our traditional clothing, making their own little chimaltin (shields), learning nahuatl.....it was the most beautiful thing i have ever seen...those kids were so proud of being brown; not a hint of shame in their eyes....

we need more schools like this

tecpaocelotl
09-01-2004, 02:58 AM
We need to show a demand in our communities to have them in other places. Everybody wants to go to LA because what it has, but it shouldn't be like that. We should be building stuff in our community, but no one wants to do that. Everyone wants everything done and not really want to struggle.

Xican01
09-01-2004, 01:55 PM
i visited the school once and damn man, seeing all those kids walking around with pride and huge smiles on their faces. dancing the Mexica dances, wearing our traditional clothing, making their own little chimaltin (shields), learning nahuatl.....it was the most beautiful thing i have ever seen...those kids were so proud of being brown; not a hint of shame in their eyes....

we need more schools like this

chinga...give me goosebumps just thinking about it..

tecpaocelotl
07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I hope that is good goosebumps.

tecpaocelotl
01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
bump

Celestino
01-04-2006, 09:52 AM
i love some of those names but i always thought Cuauhtemoc or Kuauhtemok meant Descending Eagle and also meant Setting Sun, i could be be wrong though. i researched it because that is the name given to me through my Fraternity.

i love some of those names and i too want to name my children afer indigenous names, although i better have easy nicknames for them because i'm sure they'll get a "What?" after they tell someone their name. problem is my girl if Puerto Rican so i prolly won't limit the names to just my history but hers too. I am not sure of the language of the Taino's or borinquin of the island but in do time.

I also want to become a teacher of Latino/xicano studies, but first off i'm just tring to get a BA in history education. still have 2 years.

when i have kids i want to learn traditional hyms that i can sing to my children. i want my kids to know english, spanish, nahuatl, and possibly another indigenous language. oh well, i have time to learn, problem is learning if i am pronouncing things correctly. i had a book that helped with that but i let a friend barrow it and he left college and move back to texas or mexico or somewhere...no where to be seen...damn

KaryLaPrincesa
01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
would any of you know if ITZAYANA is a nahualt name?

tecpaocelotl
01-04-2006, 11:49 AM
i love some of those names and i too want to name my children afer indigenous names, although i better have easy nicknames for them because i'm sure they'll get a "What?" after they tell someone their name.

Nothing wrong with people saying "What?" That's the perfect time to educate people about our history. My daughter will be named Citlalmina (great heroine) and my son will either be Quetzalocelotl, Temoctzin (Cuauhtemoc's right hand man during the battle against the conquest and best friend.), or Tzilacatzin (greatest warrior that even the Spanish and their allies feared him.).

tecpaocelotl
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
They're all cute names.

Meztli
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Meztli= Moon (Luna) i love that name... thats what I'm going to name my firts baby girl! :D

QMX
01-09-2006, 12:23 AM
i think one should be careful w translating the names as there is much depth in indigenous names and the simplicity of the english language tends to make the name seem a bit shallow and regular. or maybe im just too deep a person and see evrything a bit too deep.

nehuatl Quimichipilli..the younger mouse, mouse prince, noble mouse, etc.

PeteShotTheDeputy
01-12-2006, 01:14 AM
I've always liked Tenoch, it means stone cactus, or stone prickly pear cactus.
I think I'll make it my midle name, since my parents didn't bother to give me a middle name.

Celestino
01-12-2006, 09:34 AM
i copied all the names and saved them to my computer, a little refrence whenever the day comes that i have a child. i can have a list of native names for my child.